• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaac Gravity

Supports hot-bloodedness
Years
  • B]How do you logically solve the problem of water pokemon (without legs such as Kingdra) in battles on land?[/B]

G-good question...

Well, I haven't gotten very far to that point yet but i'll try to take advantage of of their appearance (for example: Horsea, Seadra and Kingdra hop about on land but lack the full capabilities when on water) or if they have one, their dual type. (Mantine for example, which I really want to add as a party member to my fic will, like Scythemaster said float about mid air pretty due its flying-type nature taking advantage of wind currents but, like the example above, performs far better in/on water).

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2023
    If I HAVE to have a legless water pokemon in a battle, I'll make the battle at least near a small pond or something.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • How do you logically solve the problem of water pokemon (without legs such as Kingdra) in battles on land?

For most of them, I just have them sitting there on their stomachs. If they have to do a physical attack, then they push themselves up and off the ground with their fins/tail/whatever and launch themselves forward.

However, for Magikarp... Remember how Magikarp flopped around doing nothing at the end of "Pokemon Shipwreck"? Yeah. XD

And why do I do this to poor Magikarp? Because it's Magikarp.

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
    Years
  • How do you logically solve the problem of water pokemon (without legs such as Kingdra) in battles on land?
    This has brewed me a lot of trouble, but I just have them not use those Pokémon on land. When I want them used, I write some pond or river into the environment or a pool into the arena or whatever. But I think I'm going to change this for the next version of my fic, because it's annoying as all hell.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Have the battles take place near a small pond, or in a hotel swimming pool. Honestly, the Stadium/Colosseum trick of having them float in midair looks ridiculous. Gyarados/Milotic might be able to slither on the ground because they are serpent-like , but for the others... meh.

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years

I just don't have them battle on land. If they do battle on land, they are inherently useless. Gyarados and Mantine, due to their flying dual-type, are exceptions to the rule.

In fanfic how do you handle the issue of how pokemon learn new moves? Do they have to do detailed training for different types of powers?

With my fic's universe (and I can say this with certainty) TMs are essentially computer programs that interact with a registered trainer's Pokedex to "trick" a Pokemon's brain into remembering that move even though it didn't know it in the first place. It works on a similar principle to how the Pokedex can cancel evolution in the Pokemon Special manga. So while the Pokemon could master the move through intense training, the TM is basically a shortcut that bypasses it. TMs are relatively new technology in my fic, so usually only fairly rich trainers or ones in positions of authority (law enforcment, E-4 members, etc.) can use them.

Spoiler:

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
  • Do you use themes in your fics? If so, what are some examples?

Yes. To give a rundown of planned (and present) themes:

-The best-laid plans always fall awry

-Humanity as a race is not inherently perfect and cannot become attain perfection.

-Just having self-confidence isn't enough

-It is not for humanity to mess with powers beyond their control

-Love is blind.

Any questions?

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Do you use themes in your fics? If so, what are some examples?

Occasionally, yes. XD Most of the time, I really don't think about it, but for some stories, there might be a conscious theme that I try to fit into my writing. For example, one of the biggest themes in Midsummer Knights are:

- Destiny.
    - The absurdity of politics.
    - The absurdity of life.
    - The impact of death.
    - The ever-cliche "power of one."
    - The consequences of the past (specifically, clinging to it).
    - The extent and definitions of loyalty.
    - And my favorite, "All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players." But this really ties into destiny and the inevitability of the future.

Or something pretentious like that. XD

For other stories, I've had:

- The effects of memory.
    - The perception of reality.
    - The futility of the efforts of a single person against the actions of the masses. ("So the World Turned to Ash")

And other fun things that I can't think of off the top of my head.

But mostly, I like working with the theme of inevitability of the future. As in, no matter what you do, sometimes, things just happen.

Bay

Years
  • Don't really felt like answering the other topics because I just woke up from a nap. XD

Do you use themes in your fics? If so, what are some examples?

I am a huge fan of themes, so I jampacked quite a few for "Nothing, Everything". Here are a few:

Spoiler:

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2023
    I'll only name a few for now..

-Luck
    -Luck vs. fate
    -Fate vs. Free Will
    -Coincidence
    -Good things come in threes, but bad things come in twos.
    -Repitition
    -The six degrees on seperation theory. (connections)
    -The morals of pokemon treatment/capturing/battling.
    -Home
    -Sentimental items
    -The past
    -Abandonment
    -Love triangles (gasp)
    -Independence vs Dependence (freedom vs captivity)
    -miniscule things which play a much greater part later on (foreshadowing)
    -Hitting rock bottom (The shadow proving the sunshine, If you will)
    -Isolation vs Being with others
    -Rivalries
    -Dreams/visions
    -Relationships going bad.
    -Life and Death
    -Eyes (its not as weird as it sounds o_O)
    -Redemption
    -Strong yet shaky friendships/bonds
    -Rebellion (against authority/other)

Thats all that comes to mind for now.

Last edited:

purple_drake

~Elite obsessed~
    Years

Ohhh, another toughie. There are some non-water pokemon like that too--like pupitar. I've been trying to figure out a decent way for them to move around, but all I can come up with is that they have really good balance and stay on their tails/whatever, or if that doesn't work, they use their bellies. Obviously it would limit their maneuverability, which is where things get annoying, but...

Using a pokemon's secondary type is a good idea, usually I just looked at their physical characteristics. Although I could never imagine either mantine or gyarados flying (and in gyarados' case it's not really necessary anyway), for the purposes of the battle I could see it. As for kingdra, well, dragonair can fly even though they don't have wings and aren't a flying type, so maybe it's a dragon thing to be able to float? :P Although the bagon line can't do it... but they're fire dragons more than water dragons, so...

Plus there is the thing about battling near a lake/pond/whatever, but I personally wouldn't want to limit a trainer to just using water pokemon in the right context, not if there's a way--or a need--to do it elsewhere.

I honestly don't think that much about themes--I just write, and whatever themes come out of the story, come out of the story. ^.^;;

I guess my most obvious one would be 'Choice and Consequence', which sort of looks at how much a choice can impact the rest of one's life, as well as how much the consequence and how the consequences are handled--or not--can do the same. The theme's not really that active a part of the story, though... as in, I'm not writing the story for the sake of expressing the theme.

'Brother My Brother' has a theme, too, I guess--something along the lines of 'the road to hell is paved with good intentions'. AWC looks at what does and doesn't constitute a reasonable cost, and at what point a person crosses the line to become bad despite their original intentions--which is similar to BMB--and I have another fic in the works with the same theme... no, make that two, one a one-shot and the other an OT.

...come to think of it, the issue of morality--what's crossing the line, what's not, when is something right--or if not right then justified--and can one be redeemed if they've done something really bad--is probably the theme I work with most. Even if it's not prominent within a fic, there are certain characters for whom it still crops up in a big way, because I view it as an issue which is integral to their development. That's leaving aside the fact that it's a potential issue for just about any character, bad or good.

Saffire Persian

Feline of Light and Shadow
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Utah
    • Seen Nov 7, 2011
    How do you logically solve the problem of water pokemon (without legs such as Kingdra) in battles on land?

When it comes to those types of pokémon, I'd write them as having a great deal of trouble battling on land. Having a stream/lake/ocean nearby would really be ideal for using such a pokémon. Not that it couldn't fight on land, I just wouldn't expect it to have a great deal of mobility. It could move itself around by using hydropower, hopping, and the like, but I imagine that would be very difficult to control.

Themes? I use a lot of common themes in my stories. One of my most common ones would have to be death--experiencing it, dealing with it, accepting it... just about anything that has to do with death. It just fascinates me for some reason. Also, I deal a lot with the themes concerning friendship--the everlasting bonds we make with one another. Yes, I know that sounds cheesy.

Oh, and before I forget, I was going to say this yesterday, but Happy Belated Birthday, Hanako!

Orange_Flaaffy

Crystal Bell Keeper
    Years
    Other than hopping I never really had a better idea for the fish pokemon battling on land. But after seeing the water orbs supported by the minds of strong psychic types in the Pokemon Ranger movie I think that is a good way to :). If you have the right pokemon at high levels of course :)
    Do you use themes in your fics?
    Yes :). My main themes are man vs. self, family, motherhood, working with disablity, holding onto your past to make a better future, having faith in yourself, and that even people you view as 'evil' are humans with emotions...

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Thank you, Saffire Persian, for the belated wishes.

How do you logically solve the problem of water pokemon (without legs such as Kingdra) in battles on land?
    Avoid it at all costs. I plan out my scenes before I write them to manage diverting the chance that an explanation needs to be written. That said, I also don't touch the "hovering" Pokemon, like purple_drake mentioned in her post.

Mainly, I use either friendship, perseverance, or defeating one's own inner demons to better one's self. That's really all I can say on the subject, since I never think about what message I want to send across in my writing.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • Do you like reading/reviewing fanfics or one shots better?

Umm...are you implying that one-shots aren't fanfics? o.O But yeah, depends on my mood and the fic. Sometimes I just want something short and sweet (or something besides sweet, depending on the one-shot) where I don't have to spend x amount of hours catching up with the story just so I can give a review in good conscience. One-shot plots also tend to be less complex and there's just a certain beauty to boiling a story down to such a compact size. On the other hand, chaptered fanfics have length on their side, allowing for more in-depth character development than could ever be feasibly crammed into a one-shot. There's also something to be said for not having to leave a wonderful character behind right after having gotten to know them. (In a metaphorical sense, of course) So yeah, I like both. x3

Does anyone have a set writing time every day? Or do you wait for inspiration to strike before sitting?

Flimsy as my writing discipline is, I have to wait for inspiration. If I'm not in the mood, I can bang my head against the keyboard for hours at an end without getting anywhere with my fic. Given my real life issues, I'm treating of my fic as a long-term project anyway.

When your characters are talking through though, do you write with speech marks or through italics?

Talking through thought? If you mean some sort of freaky telepathic powers thing then that would be quotes in italics (if, for some reason, I wanted to make it perfectly clear that it's telepathic), if you just mean relating thoughts word-by-word then it's single quotation marks and italics. Those are RPing convention that has stuck with me. :3

Which would you post; an introduction, or the first chapter when beginning a story?

Not quite sure what you mean by 'introduction'. If you mean a prologue...well, I have one set up for my fic in the works (still locked in debate with the little voices in my head over whether or not it's doing everything I want it to do, but there will be a prologue), but I can't really say anything about fanfics in general. I mean, that's completely dependent on the fic in question. x.x If you mean author's notes then yes, knowing me I won't be able to resist. I have this thing for seeing my incessant drabble in type; it's a confidence booster. xD

How long do you wait in between posting chapters?

As long as it takes for me to be satisfied with what I have. Given my sluggish pace in writing the first for mine, that's a pretty long period. My ideas are usually so disorganized that it takes quite a bit of pruning on my part before I get them to make sense and I tend to make a rewrite or three even when posting for RPs, where the individual post has far less scope than a fanfic chapter. I doubt that I'd ever go for more than once a week, even if I had multiple chapters written up and ready to go. I know what a pain it is to review fics that grow chapters faster than daycare Magikarps plunk out eggs so I wouldn't want to subject anyone to that. I'd want some feedback too. *First fic insecurity*

So yeah, a week, a month, the minimum length of a compulsory service period in the Finnish military...it all depends. xD

What Pokémon would you like to see have a major part in fanfic more often?

Feebas! ^0^

And no, not one of those demeaning 'ugly duckling' stories. <.< I'd love to see a fic where Feebas, for once, gets to escape that accursed pokédex entry that has it faultily pegged as the ugliest pokémon in existence. Feebas needs more love. ._.

Actually, I do have a short story type thing about that on the back of my head. Hmm...rather than complaining about it, I think I might try to do something about it one of these days. x3

Other than that, any one of the countless overshadowed and overlooked ones would be nice. (The Voltorb starter in 'I can't believe I'm doing this' was a choice that really made me smile) Just...something that surprises me. Given the sheer amount of pokémon species available, the ones who tend to get the spotlight are disappointingly few.

How do you choose your characters' teams?

I usually start with the role I want the pokémon to fulfill (I.e. the reason I want my character to get a new pokémon in the first place). I may need a certain kind of personality for character development purposes, a pokémon with a specific set of abilities or just a certain look to it. Then I take a look at the pokémon that match the criteria and pick one that makes sense for my character to obtain (so no wild Chikoritas in the middle of a frozen tundra or anything). At times, the pokédex data of the pokémon might also clinch the decision (like for my Ralts-dependent character), it all depends. x3

As a reviewer, what is your absolute least favorite explanation for a character that understands Pokemon outside of "miraculously able to for no reason at all"?

"It's my story and I do what I want", hands down. Just born with it is also a regular, as is the whole "miraculous bond of empathy/friendship". Any explanation involving the word 'pokémorph' will also be chastised heavily. <.<

Are One Shots worth writing?

Wow, talk about biased formulation. Yes, one-shots are just as deserving of being written as chaptered works.

In fanfic how do you handle the issue of how pokemon learn new moves? Do they have to do detailed training for different types of powers?

Depends on the move. Sometimes I do it as heat-of-the-moment improvisation that's later honed into a working attack, sometimes it's something the pokémon learns to do as they grow in strength or by evolution (like an ember attack developing to flamethrower, scratch to slash etc.) and sometimes it's good old fashioned taking the pokémon aside and hand-walking them through the move. x3

There's really no way to logically solve that. (If by 'solve' you mean a marine pokémon fighting like normal without water. Floating in mid-air is not logical by any stretch of imagination) I typically avoid using marine pokémon in this type of situation, but if it can't be avoided then I limit the marine pokémon's fighting ability, A LOT. Something like a Kingdra could still be able to fire out ranged attacks (probably carried by the trainer), but close-combat fighters like Seaking would just flop around and look ridiculous. Swimming pokémon in general wouldn't be able to move on land other than by floppy type movements, though. Similarly, pokémon that can technically move out of water but would be burdened from doing so (like Omastar) would have their movements slowed down.

Yep. It's not like I decide "right, I'm going to do this theme"; it's more that I go through my ideas and then notice tendencies towards certain themes and just encourage those a little. Happiness (specifically, what happiness is), misconceptions, moral problems of heroism and freedom versus safety are fairly prevalent in my current setup and I'm pretty sure I won't be able to resist the allure of the old friendship cliché either. xD The whole coming of age and defeating one's own demons thing will also be in there somewhere, as will -- most likely -- the tendency to believe what you want to believe rather than what the facts actually tell you.

There's a lot of other stuff, but those are probably the big ones. x3

Anyways, just a random question:

As a reader/reviewer, is there some specific type of antagonist or evil plot that you would not want to see in a fanfic?

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • As a reader/reviewer, is there some specific type of antagonist or evil plot that you would not want to see in a fanfic?

Ye Olde Evil Teame. The kind that are essentially Team Rocket or Team Aqua/Magma with different names. The kind that are clearly evil (and possibly out to steal Pokemon) and trying to take over the world (using Pokemon -- most likely legendaries -- as tools). It's been done to death, man. Sure, if someone created an evil team that worked towards its goals using other means than just being a pack of Pokemon thieves/powerhungry dictators looking to control a legendary, then I'd be interested (although this really isn't what I mean by Ye Olde Evil Teame anyway). Otherwise, I really don't see why people don't just use the evil teams already around, especially since they've practically made said fan evil team essentially be one of the canon ones. *shrug*

Evil plots, I really don't have an opinion on. I admit I'm a sucker for the "let's invoke the apocalypse!" concept.

Scytheteen

What is mine is yours
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Jan 29, 2014
    As a reader/reviewer, is there some specific type of antagonist or evil plot that you would not want to see in a fanfic?

A perfect little Gary-stu/Mary-sue. The're yucky. Also, those depressed loser emo people that are starting to be a tad overused know. Can't we just have a kid who blends in once in a while? Jebus...

Eh...I have no answer for this.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back