• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bay

Years
  • Oh dang, that's one cool image! O_O

Hm...that gives me an idea. Probably somewhere in my fic (or in the prequel) I'll write about how there's two different Giratinas. XD

I do, however, like the speculation with it -- that the third member of Gen IV will be coming up soon. I'm curious to know what's it going to be called, at least, if not what features will be added and whether or not this means that we can expect Gen V soon.

Agree here. Since pretty much all of the games have related color/gem names, probably the game will have a gem name that is black or purple.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Agree here. Since pretty much all of the games have related color/gem names, probably the game will have a gem name that is black or purple.

Gem name, definitely. Not sure about black or purple, though. It's hard to say, given the supplements that have been in past generations and the fact that both diamonds and pearls are light-colored gems. It'd be really cool if it was something black, though.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • I have a question and really need some help guys!

Is it okay to cut down on the description when you're trying to add a mysterious atmosphere to your chapter?

Bay

Years
  • Is it okay to cut down on the description when you're trying to add a mysterious atmosphere to your chapter?

I think so. You don't want everything to be revealed, right? ^^There are times in my fic that I leave out the description as I don't want to reveal things yet. :X

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Is it okay to cut down on the description when you're trying to add a mysterious atmosphere to your chapter?

As long as you don't do it all the time, you can get away with not showing the audience certain things, such as what a character is doing or what someone looks like. (Again, emphasis on "as long as you don't do it all the time." As in, if you get to the point where you've left in no description, then you've got problems. But I'm assuming you won't do that.)

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2023
    Is it okay to cut down on the description when you're trying to add a mysterious atmosphere to your chapter?

Yes. I did this in my prologue and one can also do this when trying to add an intense, battle-y feel.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • Okay, thanks for all your help guys. I do feel like I cut down in the description too much in this chapter, but at the same time it feels needed. Let's just hope I can find some way to work this out.

(Woot! 400th post!)

Years
  • Gotta Catch 'Em All !

I'm doing a Fan Fic. about a guy named Nick who is member of a police force. He and his ditto must find the murder(s) before someone else is killed !!! Its entitled "Gotta Catch 'Em All !"

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Personally, I kinda agree with Gummy here. "Gotta Catch 'Em All," while cute, really strikes me more as the title of a bubbly, new trainer story, rather than as a potentially gritty murder mystery. Your audience may go into it thinking that they're about to read about a new trainer, rather than a cop, if they don't just think that it'll be a bubbly fic in general (because of the fact that it uses the franchise's slogan).

Again, though, you don't have to change it. As I've said before, it's cute in that it's a pun on the franchise slogan. I'm just giving you a heads up here.

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
  • Ehh.. that makes me think that it's more of a parody 'fic.

*Rabid fanboy stare* Saffire Persian showed up and wrote a sentence... I will treasure this memory for the rest of my life... *taser'd*

Yah, seriously man, it does sound like a parody fic. If it does involve comedy, then by all means a punny title is appropriate. If it's a more serious fic, however, it needs to have a name to match the themes. Actually, using proper grammar in the pun and making it a statement rather then an exclamation might produce the proper effect. ("Got to catch them all.") Same sentence, same pun, same idea, slightly less bubbly.

purple_drake

~Elite obsessed~
    Years
  • I need to figure out a name for the whole thing (though maybe I'll think on that once the whole thing is done), names for the chapters (or decide if I'll even name the chapters), and what I'll do with Team Rocket, Gary/Green, Koga, Jeanine (sp?) & Lance (They are giving me a hard time in terms of what role they'll have in the story).

If you could tell me what you think, give some kind of advice as to what to do with characters that are already in the game universe, or if you want to be a part of my little project, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance (and sorry for the long post).

First of all, don't be sorry for the long post. XD It's better than a short post, and there are quite a few people here who tend to talk a lot in one sitting, myself included. :3 So don't worry about it.

Now, names--how you get them can vary and they can be real buggers when it comes to getting them. Heck, sometimes a story might not have a name until it's almost finished (although it's usually a good idea to have one if you're going to be posting it as a WIP (work in progress)), but that's okay; you want to wait until you have a fitting title rather than giving it something that doesn't suit.

*is obsessive about names and naming things*

So. Um. I'm not sure what to say about naming the story as whole; that depends a lot on the story. It would have to be significant to the story itself for some reason, but like I said, don't be afraid if you can't think of anything. Plus, sometimes the title you choose can actually affect the storyline itself (which is what happened with mine; the story only started to reflect the title's theme after I'd named it).

There are a couple of ways to choose chapter names... themes, like Jax said. Song lyrics can be good. I have a fondness for using paraphrased proverbs which relate in some way to the chapter--those can also work well for one-shot titles.

Note that, usually for any kind of title and especially if the story's in a series, you'd want to keep them consistent. So if the first story in a trilogy has a one-word title, then it's a good idea for the rest of the stories to have a one-word title too. Same with chapters, although they tend to be more flexible.

Uhm. Yeah. ^.^;;; Hope that helped, a little.

As for the roles the characters are going to have in the story--well, it depends on what kind of plot you have and how close to canon you want to write it... for starters.

First step, seconding Jax here: it depends on which game you're going with. Unless you want to go somewhere in-between the two games and tell us what's happening in the three years the Rockets were gone or something--which would actually be really interesting.

....gah, no, plotbunny alert! >.< Out, out, evil spirits!

*cough* Anyway. Depending on which game we're talking about, their roles are going to be different--so if it's GSC then Gary's a gym leader and he's more likely to act under the authority of the League and take orders from those higher than him, etc, as opposed to wandering around freelance as a trainer like he does in FRLG.

...as a nitpick: Gary is anime. Green is manga. Since (I'm assuming) you're basing this off the games, the game rival is neither Gary nor Green, and your story should reflect that in both name and personality (although the game rival is still arrogant anyway, but it means you can put your own spin on it).

Then, like I said, it depends on how close to canon you want it; it doesn't necessarily need to be exact (still assuming game canon here!). Take the manga, for instance--leaving aside the fact that it's published (which is what makes it canon), it is based off the games, and yet the author has taken quite a few liberties with the universe. Like Giovanni--in the games he's the only famous TR member, but in the manga he's not. So if you wanted to do something similar and divert from game canon, then TR's structure is going to change.

Uhm... yeah. ^.^;;; That's all I got; hope some of it makes sense.

If this is FrLg, then Team Rocket's the bad guys, Gary's an annoying twerp, Koga's a Gym Leader, Janine's a little girl, and Lance is an E4 member.

Not really that little. :3 Her artwork's always looked at least late teens to me, and FR/LG is only three years beforehand, which would make her somewhere between 13 and 15 at the time.

...then again, we are talking about a world where pre-teens go out unsupervised to hunt animals that could conceivably roast, freeze or fry them to death, and where said pre-teen females tend to have breasts more suited to a fourteen year old, but go figure.

Why do you use Pokemon nicknames?

Mostly because it's a matter of characterisation for some people to name their pokemon, but also, as Dragonfree said, to differentiate between members of the same race (which hasn't happened for me yet, at least not with trainer-given names, but has happened with actual names).

How important is the title of a fic?

Well, really important. XD Not much to say that hasn't already been said, but most people look at the title and cover of a book first, and since the cover doesn't exist on a forum that means the only thing luring people in is the title--unless they scroll over it to read the excerpt thing that pops up, which usually only shows the Author's Note anyway.

Who/What inspired you to write your fic?

Uhm. Not sure.

Spoiler:

Of course, I got the manga not long beforehand, so that inspired me to add some elements from that until I'd created a strange world of manga/anime/game canons. XD Some of my more recent fics have been inspired by lines from the game, or just the sheer existence of some concepts... I'm fascinated by the Dragon Clan, for instance. The myths of the pokemon world are also interesting... I'd love to write something about the unown and the Ruins of Alph.

So yes, some reading, some watching, some playing. :3 Mostly I get ideas and inspiration just by daydreaming about what I already know and playing with what I can change... unfortunately that makes it easy to get lots of ideas and never know which one to sit down and write. >.<

...okay, wow, those topics were so dead already... >.< Meh. :P

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
    Years
  • And I'm back after being inactive here for far more than a week...

Anyways, I've been working on my Feral Twilight project and, yet again, I'm stuck.

I need a little help with describing two of my fakemon that appear in a battle at the beginning of the fic and was wondering if anybody could offer up a little advice.

These are the two that are giving me a little trouble, Incinermyn and Nettlepine...

https://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff58/HuntsmanSkunk/Incinermyn2.jpg
    https://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff58/HuntsmanSkunk/Nettlepine.jpg

Yes, my art skills are bad, but that's besides the point.

What really giving me trouble is figuring out how to describe their smaller attributes, specifically, the fire spouts and burn marks on various parts of Incinermyn's fur and the thorn-laden vines working their way from behind Nettlepine's head through areas of its spines and to its tail.

So far I've got their overall main body's down, but what I'm trying to do is make it so I'm not overloading the piece with a great flood of description involving those lesser things on their bodies. The only other thing I could think of doing is describing those other attributes while having the two using attacks that impliment those things. I'm kind of leaning towards the second idea, but I keep thinking that it's all just going to result in something boring...

IceDragon2439

Stand Up and Scream
    Years
  • I have something that's been bugging me. I love writing my stories and I just want to now how good they really are. I know that they're not far into them but I get little to no comments. I'm going to continue to write, I'm not one to give up, I just want some feedback. I just hope I have readers who are enjoying them. I know this is more of a personal thing but I just wanted to say it. Anyways, I'll be around.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • How do you feel about "n00b" comments about your fic?

If you mean the "OMG plz rite more!" variety, I don't really mind them, though I usually tend to want more. I mean, I prefer a review that's a paragraph or two because then they actually say something about my fic, but I'm really not going to track down and slay the first born of anyone who just posts a one-liner review.

Besides, sometimes, they can be entertaining. Like the ones that have either asked what a Shakespeare fic is doing in the Pokemon section or have otherwise mistaken Midsummer Knights for being a medieval Pokemon fic. (This has happened I think two or three times.) Or the AAMLer who said Ash x Misty was funny... in an Ash x Max story. Generally, it's the ones that don't actually read the fic that are some of the most amusing comments I get.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back