• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceDragon2439

Stand Up and Scream
Years
I like this idea, it'll show some creativity from everybody to see what they come up with. I'd like to read what people come up with and I'd like to try myself =).

I say yes!

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
More than you know. Thanks, Jax. Since the two are battling each other, though, I decided to describe how each of their respective features change from they're regular appearance to how they look when the creature's are prepping for their attacks... Not sure if it's the single best method, but I thought it'd be interesting for the part where the two appear together.

You're welcome. Glad it helped, and good luck with your story.

Sounds to me, though, that you have made a good stylistic choice. Making those details relevant in an action-oriented scene makes the narration feel dramatic and dynamic, particularly by giving the reader more to visualize. That way, you win by showing the reader the fancreated Pokemon and by adding some bang to the battle, so to speak.

I'm really wondering how to keep the protagonist involved throughout the story's run.

I'll have to agree with Dragonfree here. There's very little instances of a character being dragged kicking and screaming into a plot in this fandom, which is heavily unfortunate because it is realistic and makes for a more fascinating character (in my opinion, at least) than the kind who goes into a situation guns-blaring and destiny fully accepted. As for the how to do it, as Dragonfree said, it depends on what role you want him to take. If he's the Chosen One, then you could just have him realize that there's no other choice and get dragged into the action and pinned there. Alternatively, since you've mentioned that he's bonded with the key Pokemon, he could be dragged into it for the sake of seeing to it that said Pokemon will make it out okay. But it depends on what you want to do. *shrug*

well.... actually, I might have a rape scenario, but only if you get a bad ending.

I don't know. I feel as if that still counts as rape in a hentai. XD

What's the most objectionable thing you plan to add to your story (if you haven't done so already)?

Um... Let's see... I've written:

- A short story on my fic journal which contains a rape scene where one character was actually high on datura. (Partially a request to hit on someone's squick list; partially me being that messed up.)
- A short story on my fic journal which contains mpreg. (Partially a request; partially me seeing if I could actually pull it off.)
- Multiple instances in various fics of characters getting high on various drugs.
- Blood and gore in Midsummer Knights (my favorite instance of which would probably be the image of Poison Sting piercing the back of someone's head).
- Implied incest in Midsummer Knights (considering Olivia and Orsino are actually brother and sister and have a "very close relationship").
- A planned story of mine contains more blood and gore, including a protagonist who hunts down creatures of his own kind out of necessity.

So, uh, I guess I have no qualms about a lot of things.

As a side note, but does anyone else have difficulties in writing a first chapter? For the aforementioned planned fic, I've thrown out about four different chapter beginnings because not a single one of them seems to work. So, how do you write a first chapter, and what sort of elements (in medias res, detailed descriptions of the setting, et cetera) do you use to do it?

diamondpearl876

you can breathe now. x
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 25, 2022
Bleh. I was thinking of doing a fanfic challenge on LJ since they have quite a lot there, but I wouldn't do pokemon. But, I still do think it's a good idea.

I'll be looking forward to what you guys come up with. =D

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
That's why I was leaning more towards the latter choices, Jax. Since it would be less restrictive to the author. If the prompt is "Bulbasaur" then they have to include a Bulbasaur even if they really don't want to. But with a prompt like "growth" it's more open to interpretation.

And I was thinking of along the lines of a prompt community. Just hand out a prompt, say that the writers have X amount of time to write a story, and then post. More fun that way.

I'll wait to see about other options, and possibly post the first topic tomorrow. :3

And no contests. Since finding judges will be hard, and it will be more fun.

Oh, and how long should it be between prompts?

Last edited:

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
As a side note, but does anyone else have difficulties in writing a first chapter? For the aforementioned planned fic, I've thrown out about four different chapter beginnings because not a single one of them seems to work. So, how do you write a first chapter, and what sort of elements (in medias res, detailed descriptions of the setting, et cetera) do you use to do it?

Yes, it is. I spent a good two months writing and re-writing chapter one of my fan fic. I don't mind that though, what I find most difficult is the ending, I mean, you've thought of this the whole time you've been writing the book (unless you're playing a game of instant improvisation, which happens sometimes) and you're so close to your destination. Is it not human nature to rush these type of things? So, yes, having difficulties writing chapters, in a sense, isn't that bad. Especially the first chapter, because everyone knows that an inexperienced reader, if he/she doesn't like the first chapter/prologue, he/she will probably never go back to it again.

At least, that's what I've learned on my journeys of inspecting readers' of fan fictions reactions. And, yes, that last sentence was designed as a tongue twister.

Moving back to the question, seeing as I ranted on there for quite a bit about the ending chapters instead; yes, I do have a lot of problems with the first chapter. It also depends on the genre, whether you want a light, jolly atmosphere or perhaps you want a dark, murky tone. The characters are another thing completely, because this is normally where you introduce your characters, and you don't want the first chapter to end up like:

His name was John Jones. He was the head of the Pokemon league. He was a very skilled trainer.

So, in conclusion, yes, I find writing the first chapter of any fan fiction hard, but with persistance and endurance, and patience, normally, you can overcome the obstruction of writing it.

diamondpearl876

you can breathe now. x
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 25, 2022
Are the prompts always going to be one-worded, or will it be mixed in with things like pictures, lyrics, quotes and things like that as well?

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2023
What's the most objectionable thing you plan to add to your story (if you haven't done so already)?

The worst I've done already:
Spoiler:

The darkest thing that I have thought of for my fic (for much later on) is [BIG POSSIBLE FIC SPOILERS]

Spoiler:

I'm not a big fan of dark things, but will add some for drama.

Rebellious Treecko

The coolest.
Years
*sigh* short post...
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Yamato-san

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 15, 2012
Personally, I think you'd get more results with the latter. While, yes, every fic should be Pokemon for the sake of the forum, it just promotes freedom of creativity (on the part of both the Master of Ceremonies and the writers) if you go for a wider range of possible prompts. You'll still be restricted, but at least you can define for yourself who is in the story or what the prompt means if you just go for something like "growth" or even "umbrella." Using Pokemon as names sort of implies that you're aiming for a specific cast (one of which should be a Bulbasaur).

I agree, having the guideline be to simply include a certain Pokemon doesn't really do much. In the SPPF contest which I wrote for, the condition was to feature a battle with a Cacnea against a Sandshrew, as well as an evolution (which doesn't necessarily have to be either of the aforementioned battling Pokemon). Not only did I lose that, but I didn't even get in the top ****in' three!!! While I couldn't say the one-shot I wrote was perfect, especially that early draft (incidentally, this is the very same one-shot that eventually evolved into my hentai), I at least stuck close to the subject matter at hand.

My story was a romance taking place in a desert, with a Cacnea as the main character's Pokemon. Early on, he battles against a cheeky kid with a Sandshrew, and ends up losing when it evolves into a Sandslash mid-battle (and said battle was kind of important). You know what the first-place winner was? Some story about a Fakemon that escapes human captivity and evolves in the process (or something like that), and where was the battle between a Cacnea and a Sandshrew? Briefly mentioned to be occurring in the background, that's where. Seriously, how the bloody hell do I lose against a writer who just passes most of the given subject off into a side-note? [cough] But my personal venting aside, a writing contest should actually expect the writers to heavily involve a certain subject in there story, not just plop it into the background and be done with it. If writers can't really show how they can deal with certain restrictions, a particular element they're required to involve in their work, then what's the damn point? You may as well just have a typical "who can write the best one-shot?" and not even bother with specific themes.

Bay

Years
(Sighs) Sorry for not being active here for a bit. Been busy and depressed for the last few days. Okay, just going to answer a couple recent questions because I need to go get dinner and then start doing my history homework.

Spoiler:

Well, usually on my first chapters I set the stage on what will the plot, characters, and settings will be. I usually didn't have too much trouble writing the first chapter as I usually tend to build things slowly and kind of know what I want to introduce first and what I want to show later. For instance, in "Nothing, Everything", I gave a few clues on what themes, characters, objects and places will be important. It seems a lot but the prologue/first chapter is more of hinting of things to come, so I didn't give a full blown report of everything. XD

Years
  • Seen Jan 23, 2009

So far there's been a full-grown man punching a skinny teenage girl with glasses in the face, which is hardly CUTTING EDGE but you would never see it on the show.

Then there's the little girl dreaming about her GENERIC TRAINERFIC before getting her arm crushed under half a ton of rocks. And a marowak corpse without its head or arm.

To be honest, I don't think that's going to be topped for a while. I wanted it to be lighthearted and cute, so it'll be heading more in that direction.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Oh golly gee, it's the whilikers. :O

In my Pokemon fics...nothing. Eh, they just never seemed to call for anything horrible. It's the other fandoms where I let my sadistic side show through.

Oddly, I find the first chapter of the first book of the series the most difficult to write. I can write the beginning of the sequels well, but never the beginning of the first book. So I'm still toying around with things in the first book while the second book is going strong.

Really, I just try to set up the world and try to get some plot going in the first chapter.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
I would lean more towards one-shot myself.

And I haven't really thought about any further prompts. I just got a new video game today (well, an expansion pack to my favorite video game) and that's been on my mind more.

The prompts will probably be whatever strikes me as a good prompt. It could be either one word, a quote, a picture that I see that inspires, or whatever.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
Years
This seems pretty interesting and maybe it could be the trick to get me back into writing something useful. I personally like the idea of a picture inspiring a one-shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back