• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gooberdued

< Is friggin' awesome
Years
  • What do you think of fics where someone has changed movesets of a Pokemon? (ex. Venonat used Hydro Pump; Starly used Bone Rush; Natu used Body Slam)

Like Saffire Persian said, letting a Pokemon use Tackle when it *technically* can't would be acceptable. There are some Pokemon that can't technically use a lot of moves that would still make sense on them. In Red and Blue, Charizard couldn't learn Fly, which is completely retarded, for lack of a better word.

Maybe it could work though, like a lab experiment gone horribly wrong, or something along those lines.

Bay

Years
  • What do you think of fics where someone has changed movesets of a Pokemon? (ex. Venonat used Hydro Pump; Starly used Bone Rush; Natu used Body Slam)

I pretty much will be fine with a Pokemon knowing an attack that's not in its usual movesets if it's reasonable but yeah some outrageous ones like Starly with Bone Rush would be weird.

Actually, there's one fic idea where the plot is in full motion when a trainer finds a runaway Pokemon that could learn attacks it wouldn't usually know and then the organization doing the experiments are after that Pokemon. However, this is inspired by the Holon Pokemon trading cards where the Pokemon can learn attacks it won't usually learn, like a Fire type learning a Water type.

Man, I remembered back when I collected the cards...XD)

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    What ideas for a fan fic did you have long ago before realising it was horrible?

Well, not horrible exactly. Like you decided to write a story about a ten year old boy who gets his first Pokèmon and sets out on an adventure. I had one, and it was called Battle Royale. It was meant to be a one-shot which I thought was amazing a few months ago, them I got a rather harsh person to beta it for me and what he said left me emotionally crippled. But I saw what he was saying, just how did a Golduck manage to use Flamethrower and where was all the description ec cetera. I still have the first draft of it, I'm unable to read it though, as all the spelling and grammar mistakes make me wince.

Luphinid Silnaek

MAGNEMITE.
    Years
  • What ideas for a fan fic did you have long ago before realising it was horrible?

Ah, a question for which (for once) I have a ready answer.

My terrible fiction was a mangled thing called the Upholder of Duty. It began with ideas truly disturbingly generic: a shiny Bagon grows up in the company of another Bagon and a Ralts, with Chosen One circumstances revolving like worlds around him. He has a perfect heroic father who sacrificed himself before his birth, a visit to his mother by a mysterious godly creature who proclaims that, from the prophecy, he is destined for greatness, and further horrors which I blissfully realized the error of before I could write them down. Eventually Mewtwo would randomly become a supervillain and take a Togepi hostage, which he would save and Mewtwo kill at the end of the story, and thus save the world. His superpowers were beyond belief; he was meaning to be so grand as to not be bound by the mortal limitation of two types, possessing three. Eventually, with deep perspiration, I steered it back to proper ways, but I can never forget the sorrow of those days.

A newbie question, while I'm at it: for a fiction I'm posting from another forums, what's the ideal space of days between updates? I would think five days to be a reasonable interval for any sort of fiction, but I'm illiterate as to the conventions here. If reviewers can reply to fictions faster here than I think, it would be quite a relief to get the old chapters posted and out of the way.

Gooberdued

< Is friggin' awesome
    Years
  • A newbie question, while I'm at it: for a fiction I'm posting from another forums, what's the ideal space of days between updates? I would think five days to be a reasonable interval for any sort of fiction, but I'm illiterate as to the conventions here. If reviewers can reply to fictions faster here than I think, it would be quite a relief to get the old chapters posted and out of the way.

Most people tend to update weekly if the chapters aren't already written, so five days is fine. Updating rapidly (more then one chapter a day) is generally frowned upon. But if you have already written your chapters, it would be a good idea to post them every three or so days to give reviewers a chance to do what they do.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • What ideas for a fan fic did you have long ago before realising it was horrible?

A cross-over between Lunar Knights and Kingdom Hearts, except instead of traveling to Disney Worlds, the heroes traveled to Nintendo worlds. XD I did write out the first three chapters, and the idea didn't seem so bad at first...

Bay

Years

An idea of how a trainer finds a sick Suicune, takes care of it, and then some mischief happens. :X It was a good idea at first, thinking "oh, maybe there's not a fic with someone finding a sick legendary and taking care of it" until I realise there's probably a few fics already about that and maybe taking care a legendary is a little too much. XD

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    What ideas for a fan fic did you have long ago before realising it was horrible?
    Okay, let's play a game of Astinus revealing how big of a Mary-Sue she was writing: A ten year old girl, who is also the daughter of Lance, leaves on her trainer's journey with a Suicune at her side. She starts off with Cyndaquil, but manages to catch the other Johto starters and a few dozen Eevee. In the Whirl Islands, she realizes that she is also connected to Lugia. Well, little ten-year-old girl gets all her badges, goes back to face the Elite, and wins with no problem. She's now the strongest trainer in the world, and travels off to Kanto to meet, and travel with, Ash.

And she's the destined Chosen One, as well.

I thought it was the greatest idea ever, and people would bow at my feet for writing a masterpiece...then I got a brain.

I also have no idea how that jumbled plot became what the simple story I have now.

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
  • What horrible fanfic ideas have you had?

All of my fanfic ideas are horrible, except for "Thief in the Night". (What can I say, I just took up writing as an interest, and I hardly ever get enough time to seriously think about finishing the danged story.) I did once write a Pokecademy fic that will never see the light of day, but not so much because the characters were sue-ish and more because they were stereotyped and seen way too often.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    *A Gary-Stu journeyfic. My character would travel around Kanto, not by foot or car or even Hummer, but in a giant airship. If he "lost" a battle, he would deal with it with either a 12-gauge or a Molotov cocktail. In particular, he Molotov'd Brock's gym pretty badly... And of course he would eventually acquire Mewtwo and Raikou and demolish the Elite Four with them. Oh, and he was 43 years old.

*What if Team Rocket was in my AP Calculus class. The "epic failness" of this fic should be painfully obvious o_O Hell, the fic even had that "I know my calculus" song as its theme xD

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
    Years

Oh, I don't know that I've ever had any bad ideas; I've had ideas that might have been good, but got botched considerably. Don't get me wrong, my early fanfiction works were pillars of great phail, but I think that, if I had reworked them considerably, some of the core points could have been changed and I could have come up with something decent out of them.

The one that's definitely farthest from salvageable was my very first fanfic, which was Corenne's Blade and only got one or two chapters in, I think. Anyway, that one was weird because the main character wasn't a self-insert, but her older brother was. Specifically, he was *my* younger brother transplanted into the story, right down to his Gold-version team (yeah, it was that long ago) and the fact that he was Johto League Champion. Basically, it was one of those "repressive sexist parents won't let younger daughter go on journey because they don't believe girls should be trainers, but upon seeing this absol it is clear that she has some Important Task to accomplish, so her older brother helps her out in getting a starter and beginning her journey." So far as I can remember, the girl was supposed to spend the rest of the story chasing the absol around and all kinds of craziness happening, like her ending up in Hoenn because she got on the ill-fated ship that ended up on the rocks near Dewford because somebody caught sight of the absol while it was stowing away on board and caused this huge storm to come up and blow them way off course. Honestly, I don't even recall how it was supposed to resolve.

My second fanfic, which was never published but the files to which I still have, went about five chapters in before stopping. The premise with this one was that the MC was traveling in some island region someplace, where kids can choose any of the designated "starter pokémon" in the lab to take off with. The protagonist found this real dusty, old-looking pokéball hanging out on a shelf way in the back and decided to take that one; it turned out to be a hoothoot with sort of funny-colored eye-rings. Basically, it would eventually be revealed that this hoothoot was one of the pokémon that hatches from those eggs that Celebi brings from the future. Basically, that meant it was supposed to be a guardian of time, and that it was going to have to help in the battle against Dark Celebi, who represented entropy.

So yeah. If you changed everything about them except for those kind of "overarching plots," and altered the way that those panned out a bit, maybe I could actually do something with them. Eh. But yeah, most of the time I have good ideas that just end up falling flat on their face as a result of the actual writing process.

omg this is the 218th page!

Last edited:

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • Oh yeah. I have some more to add to the whole "pokemon using moves they shouldn't" thing. I have a one-shot in which a Gallade and Scizor are battling, and the Scizor uses flamethrower. I can hear you all cringing from here, but I have a good reason for bringing this up.

The pokedex entries for Scizor say that its body heats up when it flaps its wings at high speed, so I did a rule tweak and had the Scizor heat the metal on its body to glowing and then use Silver Wind. Heat + powder = flame.

My point is: if you have a good enough explanation, I'd say you can get away with some moves that seem outlandish.

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
    Years
  • If the scizor's body heated up enough to actually combust the silver wind, though, it would be in some serious pain. It wouldn't be quite a real flamethrower either, but eh.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • If the scizor's body heated up enough to actually combust the silver wind, though, it would be in some serious pain. It wouldn't be quite a real flamethrower either, but eh.

Yeah, that's probably true on both counts. It was a one-shot I tossed together for a competition to see who could do the best battle scene, so I didn't really put too much thought into it. Which is probably the exact reason why people have things like Venonat using Hydro Pump, I guess...

Dear Arceus, forget I said anything. I've overanalyzed myself once again XP

Years
  • Oh hey. I'm posting here. D=

What do you think of fics where someone has changed movesets of a Pokemon? (ex. Venonat used Hydro Pump; Starly used Bone Rush; Natu used Body Slam)
    Well, I've been guilty of this a couple of times, but the first time was unintentional. I ended up giving Quick Attack to a Houndour just because it seemed right for the battle--I didn't know that it didn't actually get the move. The second time was more deliberate--an old scene had Umbreon knowing Night Shade, but even when I rewrote the scene, knowing that Umbreon didn't get it, I kept it there, since I needed some sort of attack to cover the surrounding in darkness, and making up my own seemed stupid.
    Hmmm...so one time I came up with an idea for a fic where the main character ran around getting badges, fighting Team Rocket, catches Lugia, gets involved in some huge plot with uber Dark Pokemon, has to live in a world run by Pokegods, and then...

Oh wait...but then the fic fell into the radioactive ooze. D= It came out as LC. Dunno how it can be considered the same fic since the plot, characters, and setting are all different. xP

~Chibi~

ShadowHoundoom

Shade isn't what he seems...
    Years
  • Simply reading Yamato's post made me realize someone missed a medication time.

I'd also appreciate some feedback for my rookie fanfiction attempt, in my signature.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Everyone ignore Oni Raichu's post towards a certain member. That certain member thought that it would be awesome and immature to swear on a forum directed to little kids. Because, you know, maturity is overrated.

Seriously, I don't care if you can speak more than one language. If you can't maturely handle the fact that there will be people that won't agree with you, and that since you aren't God, you can't do whatever you want, then no one is going to respect you.

I might not like people, but I don't tell them rude things.

Now since apparently immature people are gone now forever, let's just calmly get back to discussing fanfiction.

(And Oni, report button. Press it! Press it!)

-

Oh snap. Chibi's back!

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Everyone ignore Oni Raichu's post towards a certain member. That certain member thought that it would be awesome and immature to swear on a forum directed to little kids. Because, you know, maturity is overrated.

Seriously, I don't care if you can speak more than one language. If you can't maturely handle the fact that there will be people that won't agree with you, and that since you aren't God, you can't do whatever you want, then no one is going to respect you.

I might not like people, but I don't tell them rude things.

Now since apparently immature people are gone now forever, let's just calmly get back to discussing fanfiction.

(And Oni, report button. Press it! Press it!)

-

Oh snap. Chibi's back!

Isn't the report working not working for some reason? Tat's what everyone is saying.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Goddangit. I missed something here, didn't I? Or are we talking about the other thread YS's been spotted in?

Back on topic...

What horrible fanfic ideas have you had?

You know, I thought I wouldn't be able to decide because I've created a number of pretty bad ones...

...But then I found this in my ideas folder:

Music invoking a secret power, with different instruments and musical pieces having different effects. For example, a sonata on the violin healing the wounds of the musician's Pokemon partner.

In other words, Eternal Sonata meets Pokemon. I don't think it even had much in the way of a storyline past the "magical girl" type of evil villain attempting to use an evil song to take over the Pokemon world.

I think I was on crack for that one.

There was also the idea that an albino would make way for an interesting trainer fic, eratomania in a shipping fic (which would've been funny if I hadn't attempted to butcher it with an erratic timeline that jumped forward and backwards between the past and present and was overloaded with angst), and the entirety of How Bizarre (i.e. going into a dream world to angst some more).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back