• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    If all the fictional characters you had ever created were on the verge of being erased from existence, and you could only save one; which character would it be and why?

Definitely Lisa. She's like my baby, and she's had a relatively long history. She started off as an RPG character then grew into a fanfic character, and I've had fun developing her in a unique way. Also, her little math quotes are so cute, or at least I think so XD

Strangest scene you ever wrote?
    The scenes where a random nerd challenges Lisa to a prime number/Quality Inn/Charlotte highway system/Periodic Table "battle."

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
    If all the fictional characters you had ever created were on the verge of being erased from existence, and you could only save one; which character would it be and why?

Don't know. Haven't written enough to make it hard yet. The main human charter, I guess because he reminds me of myself.

The one I am currently writhing. Won't give any details, but you will see soon enough.

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
    Years
    *hops in*

Probably something from "Lost in Ruxido", a cracky Quest for the Legends spin-off from the original version of that fic. It included an army of history teachers, the third person getting fired, and the characters landing in a place called "Odixur-itna" in which the colors of everything were inverted, everything was upside down, everybody spoke backwards and the only way to escape was to arrive. And a magically appearing clothing rack. Needless to say, this was all rather strange.

Then there's also that drabble I posted a few pages back explaining that Imprison works by employing copyright law against a Pokémon to prevent it from using your moves. And the short story "The Forum" in which Pocus the Abra/Kadabra/Alakazam founds his own forum and stabs the people who disobey the rules with a spoon because he is much more powerful and intelligent than everybody else.

The strangest scene I've written in a serious fic... hmm, the part in chapter 25 of The Quest for the Legends where quite a few lines of dialogue are spent having two characters argue on whether or not one of them is dead comes to mind. Or maybe the scene in Scyther's Story where the main character realizes vaguely that he is lying in a pool of his own blood but can't get himself to care (it is telling about me that this is one of my favorite scenes I've ever written). Or the one in The Fall of a Leader where Shadowdart hallucinates that it's himself that he's about to kill and not the Leader.

Of course, Morphic has some pretty strange characters, and if this question were about lines rather than scenes, it would almost definitely be this one of Mia's in chapter seven:

"They took us to the morgue," she went on. "Brian was there. There was a lot of blood. It smelled nice. I think I wanted to eat him."

...oh, wait. There is a very, very strange scene in the future of Morphic which definitely takes the cake over all of this. It involves a starved prisoner's attempts to (literally) eat the dirt off the floor.

Duncan McNeil

[release].your.grip
    Years

Hmm. I can't remember anything great, but the first chapter of The Eternal Night felt very strange to write. The main character woke up from being, for all intents and purposes, dead. His memory was wiped clean, so he just woke up and didn't know what to do. I had to come up with how and why he would figure out every minute detail of the world (which was also completely different from a normal world, as it is colorless). That took me the better part of a month on one chapter working on all the details for that. It just felt odd to me to write, having to change just about everything abut my normal writing style.

Since, I've adjusted quite a bit more toward my normal style, but that's the first thing I can remember.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Hey!! You cant just jump in, you have to be hazed fist.
    Dragonfree can just jump right in because she's, well, Dragonfree. Best answer I can come up with.

That and I have no hand in who sneaks in when I'm not here.

Angel, my OSC OC. He's the only one who've I gotten to know so intimately that he feels so real to me. I couldn't imagine life without the thought of him floating around. That, and I don't dare upset Andy. He's pregnant now, you know.

Have you ever had Writer's Block, and, if so, what did you do to overcome it?
    I've had feelings where I couldn't get words out, but that was because there was way more on my mind. When that happens, I just sit on my bed and force the words to come since writing is one of my few escapes from life.

That definitely goes to either three men arguing about the sizes of their particular body parts or an entire family throwing silverware around and threatening each other with spoons. Both scenes came from the same one-shot, and I seriously hope to never write anything stranger.

Golden Riolu

Finally Back
    Years

Hmm. I don't think there are very many. Some of my strangest would be in future chapters of my fic, Visions Of Fate. There's one in which Marisa is singing, always good for a laugh. And, she throws open a door, only to get smacked in the face with it as it bounces off the wall again. Or another scene, already posted, where Rarutos mixes up her name and species and introduces herself as "Ralts the Rarutos", and then proceeds to say that she's "meet to please you". There are probably more somewhere, but not as many as other people might have.

~Golden

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years

The strange scenes that I think of are usually so outlandish and vulgar that I can't even consider posting them. OK, I'm bluffing, I haven't written too much strange stuff. However, I think the first scene in my chaptered fic was pretty unusual. It involved the main protagonist becoming solely and directly responsible for the extinction of Mew (He's a nice guy, though. Really!)

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Even fantasy books still have some sort of fact to them. Like if there are humans in the fantasy novels, they still act like humans.

It's better to have facts in your fiction. I mean, if there's scientific facts that would fit into your story, use them. If you're writing about wolves, it wouldn't really make all that much sense to not write about wolves in the way that they act.

Fiction doesn't mean that you don't follow facts that you know. In fact, it might weaken your writing to not follow facts that people can research.

You aren't writing a factual report. You're writing a story based in facts. There's a difference.

So I mean, it wouldn't do good to make up fake wolf facts, since you have real facts to go with. People might read your story and think "Doesn't this person do research before writing? Wolves don't act that way! Why should I continue reading?"

You can write your fiction, but base it in the facts that are known.

Ageless Irony

MANIC SPAMMER
    Years
    How do you come up with names for you characters?

Well, I figure out the personality I want, make a list of names, and pick which one seems to fit the personality best...
    For example, I can't really see someone named Bertha be small and sweet little girl, you know?
    Or like, Timothy being some really big, strong guy...

Some just seem to fit personalities better than others, and those are the ones I pick.

Duncan McNeil

[release].your.grip
    Years
    I come up with names for my characters randomly, really. A name will pop into my head, and I'll run with it. Sometimes out of magazines, sometimes from characters on TV or something. It's all just random.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I look for some really deep spiritual meaning behind the characters that I want them to carry.

Nope. Wait. That only happened to one character. Her name is Shinrai, which has something to do with "Trust" in Japanese.

Most of my characters have some name with meaning, except for my Pokemon OT, who's meaning changed, but she still has the same name. Her name means "little fire" but...well, it doesn't fit her anymore, but the poor dear went through so many name changes that I feel bad for her.

And yes, you may all proceed to stare at me oddly for having a character named "Angel" learn how to fight in a war. No other name really suits him. Sorry.

Heh, so Saff doesn't have to: behindthename.com is a good site to find character names.

Burnt Flower

Horror Mistress
    Years

I just pick the name of a random friend, acquaintance, or family member. =P

Bay

Years
    It's mostly random, though there are a couple of times I get names from TV Shows or movies. For instance, Bunny's name I actually got from a character with that name in the movie, "The Big Lebowski" (great movie, by the way). XD What's so weird, that movie is of mystery (well, a parody of the noir genre) and "Nothing, Everything" is part mystery. XD

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Bah, haven't been here for a while...
    Ain't answering the 'which character would you save' question, as there are too many which I like, and picking between Miror B and Tom wouldn't be easy (besides, their fans would kill ME if they were killed off... unless... I killed the fans! MUHAHAHAHAHA!)

Probably the opening scene of chapter... 7. Which involved talking lamposts and flying pastries. o-O
    Hey, I was having trouble beginning the chapter, people! Also, a reviewer said that initially they read 'pastires' as 'panties', so flying panties would have had been... even more strange, to say the least. Maybe.

'Course, a random script I once did in half-a-gerography lesson on the computers is probably stranger...
    Names? What names? My fic follows Pokemon Colosseum, so I take the names of the characters as they are (e.g. Wes, Miror B, Sherles, Johnson...), only I do change the character's personalitys and all, or expand on it.
    Only names I HAVE used that aren't in the game are 'Jimmy', and 'Tom'.
    For a one-shot I did that was separate, I just thought up some random rames that I thought sounded decent, and used them, didn't concentrate much on that aspect - names came by themselves to me really.

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
    How do you come up with names for your characters?

A divination spell cast using mainly spoons and other cutlery.

Seriously, I just use the first names that pop into my head. Gale's first name was really inspired by the fact that it just felt right for him, and some thought did go into his surname (but not enough, apparently, since he's apparently related to the guy that Montressor bricks up in "Cask of Amontillado") in that I wanted to imply luck or chance, as well as reference the fact that he's a criminal, since the leader of Team Rocket happens to be Italian. Augustus you can blame on the fact that I was studying the history of Rome at the time and decided that it was the coolest name for an emperor, Aristophanes is comic relief, and Laertes... well, turns out the name shows up in the Odyssey, but I was thinking Hamlet when I wrote him and I was annoyed by the fact that I couldn't think of a different name so as to carry on Gale's habit of naming his Pokemon after dead Roman or Greek people of distinction.

New question!

What are your thoughts on "what if" fics? i.e., what if Ash had gotten his first choice of starter, what if Meowth hadn't decided to join Team Rocket, what if Nurse Joy quit her job, etc.

I've noticed a stunning lack of these in this fandom, and the ones I've seen haven't really taken the idea to its fullest potential. What if that had happened? Would everything have gone on in the same way it did, or would everything have turned out completely different? Who knows?

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    What are your thoughts on "what if" fics? i.e., what if Ash had gotten his first choice of starter, what if Meowth hadn't decided to join Team Rocket, what if Nurse Joy quit her job, etc.
    I love them. I just really wish that I could think of one to write for the Pokemon fandom. I'm writing one for the Digimon fandom, and I have bookmarked another "what if" Digimon fic.

Now I want to write one. Darn it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back