• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Post Office Buddy

Trapped inside this Octavarium
Years
  • Wow, that one actually had a rhythm to it. Very nice. I am disappointed, though, as I was convinced that you were a Latias. There goes my conspiracy theory...

I don't feel like doing another name poem lol. I think my poem for epic was good enough for now. Perhaps I shall do one for Pikachu or something on the main forum lol...

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years
  • Heh, since this seems to be the current trend now, we should make a sticky thread for name poems :laugh: that should even prevent the expected flood of name poetry! And why didn't anyone tell me there was a huge spelling mistake in my "poem"?

On another note: do the people in Pokémon world eat meat? Suspecting they do, I'd assume they eat Pokémon meat then. I mean, there aren't any other animals, now, are there? So there should also be a farm, growing Tauros and Miltank and whatnot to be eaten.
    And what do they make Pokémon food out of? Should we just assume that some huge Pokémon like Charizard or Dragonite lives by eating berries, pokéblocks and freaking poffins? And that they do that even in the wild?
    lol, someone should write a book about this: "The Ethics of Eating Meat in the Universe of Pokémon". Same goes for the guns. I mean, someone made their thesis about Donald Duck here, so Pokémon wouldn't be far off...

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
    Years
  • It is quite true that if you compare modern poetry to classic, or that which was written even a few decades ago, the quality has decreased greatly. My A.P. English teacher in high school once told us about a poem about a red wheelbarrow or something that had like 4 lines, no rhythm, nothing, and it received great acclaim by modern critics. No one in that classroom that day understood how such a travesty could have occurred.
    I don't like poetry myself, but I doubt that poetry overall has really decreased in quality so much as you claim. The style that may be in vogue now is probably one that you dislike, and you may even have a point in saying that it's inferior to past styles, but not everyone writes that kind of poetry, and the fact that something is short and doesn't rhyme doesn't mean it's not quality. =/

On another note: do the people in Pokémon world eat meat? Suspecting they do, I'd assume they eat Pokémon meat then. I mean, there aren't any other animals, now, are there? So there should also be a farm, growing Tauros and Miltank and whatnot to be eaten.
    And what do they make Pokémon food out of? Should we just assume that some huge Pokémon like Charizard or Dragonite lives by eating berries, pokéblocks and freaking poffins? And that they do that even in the wild?
    This is a commonly-discussed topic; I have non-pokémon animals in my fanfiction (I can't recall that it's ever been confirmed that there are no animals in canon), and those are what most food's made out of. You have some rare delicacies like tauros steak and farfetch'd soup and so on, but these are expensive and difficult to obtain simply because I represent pokémon has having intelligence similar to that of humans, making it rather hard to raise them for the slaughter. This also accounts for where (carnivorous) pokémon food comes from.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • This is a commonly-discussed topic; I have non-pokémon animals in my fanfiction (I can't recall that it's ever been confirmed that there are no animals in canon), and those are what most food's made out of.

I've always wondered this myself. It seems like there was an episode of the anime where a spider was crawling on Misty and she freaked out. I may need insects some time in my fics (spinaraks are too big), so this is kind of a crucial debate for me.

As an aside, the pokedex entries compare pokemon to actual animals, meaning they could exist in the pokemon world.

On to whether humans eat meat in the land of pokemon: my fics have people eating Pidgey's eggs for breakfast and Latias eating a bird pokemon. There's also leather-bound books, which obviously had to get their covers from somewhere. So pokemon being used for food/materials is fine in my book (get it? harhar).

Didn't someone in the anime cook and eat a Magikarp once? Maybe I'm just crazy.

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
    Years
  • So pokemon being used for food/materials is fine in my book (didn't someone in the anime cook and eat a Magikarp once?)
    I think Team Rocket mighta tried to eat James' magikarp at one point because they were stranded at sea without food or something, but that kind of failed because of how hard magikarp's scales were.

Unless you were thinking of a different time in the anime.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • I think Team Rocket mighta tried to eat James' magikarp at one point because they were stranded at sea without food or something, but that kind of failed because of how hard magikarp's scales were.

Unless you were thinking of a different time in the anime.
    I thought they were once trying to catch a Farfetch'd to make soup :/

Heh, since this seems to be the current trend now, we should make a sticky thread for name poems :laugh: that should even prevent the expected flood of name poetry! And why didn't anyone tell me there was a huge spelling mistake in my "poem"?

lol, someone should write a book about this: "The Ethics of Eating Meat in the Universe of Pokémon". Same goes for the guns. I mean, someone made their thesis about Donald Duck here, so Pokémon wouldn't be far off...
    In my fic that I'm working on: a Piplup is presumed to have been eaten by a Luxray.

Spearow

mr. nobody
    Years
  • My A.P. English teacher in high school once told us about a poem about a red wheelbarrow or something that had like 4 lines, no rhythm, nothing, and it received great acclaim by modern critics. No one in that classroom that day understood how such a travesty could have occurred.

I like that poem. :( Have you ever actually read it, or just heard about it in passing?

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Hey yoo...xD

About the food thing, Pokemon have classifications and stuff right?
    Well, Pidgey is the "Small Bird Pokemon".
    Now, if there were no "birds" apart from Fearow and Swellow and stuff, why would it be called a "Small Bird"? I reckon that there are other animals, just they've been sent into decline by the power of the Pokemon, similar to the way we're sending animals into decline, only on a much bigger scale.

And that's about the only stuff I have to say.

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years
  • Weah, well, but if something is nowhere to be seen, then that something is also nowhere to be eaten. I'd suspect Pokémon really are the source of meat, at least to some extenct. We have to keep in mind, though, that Japanese don't eat as much meat as we non-Japanese do. This is relevant, of course, because the Japanese are as bad in imagining a world unlike their own as we are and they made all the canons.

Basically, the existence of normal animal names in reference to Pokémon suggests that there are indeed normal animals, too. Like little birds for Keckleons to eat. But I, for one, have never seen a normal animal in any canon. I'd suspect that if there are bacteria, plancton, small insects and such, they are also Pokémon :laugh:
    But what bothers me is the fact that is seems like Pokémon can't be eaten because it is, you know, wrong. Like many western people think it's okay to eat cows but not dogs, is this the same with Pokémon because they are pets, companions and loyal friends of people?
    Again, I'm trying to deal with a question without any answers here.

By the way, guess how I thought of this? I was planning on making an OT parody (I'm not going to make one, though, don't be afraid) and then I thought that the protagonist's mom could prepare some Bagon for breakfast :laugh: I thought it was fairly funny, because to be honest, I first thought bacon is spelled like that. That much for the joke, then.

Spoiler:

It would have been epic.

Buoysel

Years
  • A lovely story
    "Mom, what do we have for breakfast?" asked the ten-year-old Marygary.

"I made something special for you: Bagon!" aswered the happy, pretty, understanding mom.

"Yay, bacon", yelled the ten-year-old and ran to the table. The sight stunned her.

"No, no, not bacon. Bagon!" said her mom happily. In ten seconds, the ten-year old girl had fainted and hit the floor. Her mother kneeled down to her.

"I also microwaved some bunnies. Feel free to scratch some from the walls of the microwave oven. I threw some pepper in, it's delicious", she added happily before leaving the room to catch some more fuzzy bunnies from the garden.

ROTFLMAO!

You just made my whole weekend!

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
  • Once again: I will be remembered as the person who introduced the FFL to the bacon cliche. XD

Anonymous
    Critic

Carrying
    Out
    Duties
    Admirably

X

The 'X' in my name is supposed to be stand-alone anyway. XD

By the way, you can all call me ACC again now. Hurrah!

As for modern poetic styles... to be honest, the wheelbarrow poem hit my mark at zero. I have, however, read two books written entirely in a modern poetic style- nothing like the wheelbarrow, mind you, but with very little set meter or rhyme- and enjoyed them immensely. I remember the first one as being about a boy who gets into writing poetry and uses it to get over the death of his dog. I read it right after my labradobe died. I miss him. *cries*

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Buoysel

Years
  • I have come to the colusion, that I have WAY too much time on my hands. Reason:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    wut?

Mine was

Annoying to a fault
    Stupidly retarded
    That's the moderator
    I want to hurt her
    Needs to go away
    Uses people
    Sucks to be her

:< This is what I get when I hang out with people who insult others for laughs.

-

There have been normal animals seen in canon. The example I can think of off the top of my head is the fish tanks in the Cerulean City gym, way back in episode seven.

Besides, as An-chan said, Pokemon are labeled under categories named for "real" animals. Ekans, the Snake Pokemon, for instance. (Hello, Gen I love. o.o)

Farfetch'd was/is used for food, since the Pokedex lists that as the cause of it being endangered. It has delicious meat. And there was a whole list of Magikarp recipes used in another episode.

Like many western people think it's okay to eat cows but not dogs, is this the same with Pokémon because they are pets, companions and loyal friends of people?
    That's what I'm thinking. Since, like we eat cows here, but other cultures don't because they're sacred animals. Same with those who eat insects. Weird to us, normal to them.

I guess in some parts of the Pokemon world (if considered as it's own world, instead of just a part of this one, or however that theory goes) it would be common to om some Pokemon. But in other parts, it's taboo to do so, whether by standards of culture or law.

I personally like the idea that there are small critters running around the Pokemon world. Like, the bigger animals were killed off, but the dinky ones that breed like mad are still around. Though I have yet to actually mention that in my fic.

I'll cross that hump when I'm feeling like it.

Post Office Buddy

Trapped inside this Octavarium
    Years
  • I like that poem. :( Have you ever actually read it, or just heard about it in passing?.
    I've actually read it. The only thing I got from it was where it was set spacially. Oh, and it's red. Can't forget that. It really wasn't anything special.

A lovely story
    "Mom, what do we have for breakfast?" asked the ten-year-old Marygary.

"I made something special for you: Bagon!" aswered the happy, pretty, understanding mom.

"Yay, bacon", yelled the ten-year-old and ran to the table. The sight stunned her.

"No, no, not bacon. Bagon!" said her mom happily. In ten seconds, the ten-year old girl had fainted and hit the floor. Her mother kneeled down to her.

"I also microwaved some bunnies. Feel free to scratch some from the walls of the microwave oven. I threw some pepper in, it's delicious", she added happily before leaving the room to catch some more fuzzy bunnies from the garden.
    Lol! That is epic. It seems like microwaved fuzzy bunnys are becoming quite a trend here now. The pepper thing was new though. I would personally prefer only salt on meh bunnys XD

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • You know, I want some oven-baked fuzzy bunnies!
    Oh no, you know what time it is...

Big and fluffy
    Ugly, or not?
    Not your cup of tea because
    No one hates them
    I like them oven-baked
    Everyday for breakfast.
    Super dooper!

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years
  • There have been normal animals seen in canon. The example I can think of off the top of my head is the fish tanks in the Cerulean City gym, way back in episode seven.

Damn it, Astinus, you're right! I completely forgot...

There's just one thing about those Pokédex entries that keeps bothering me. Yeah, their categories are named after real animals (Mouse Pokémon, Snake Pokémon, so on) but there has never been any mention of them eating animals, if I recall correctly. You know, the entry never says "this Pokémon loves to eat fuzzy bunnies, expecially if they're microwaved." Are Pokémon like some bunch of zen species who don't eat meat and fight for inner harmony and the well-being of their mind and body?

That'd be something.

On another note, if my memory doesn't fail me (again), there has been multiple mentions about Zubat/Golbat sucking blood of other Pokémon and even humans. And Ekans eats the eggs of Pidgey or something. Oh, and Feraligatr's entry says this: "When it bites with its massive and powerful jaws, it shakes its head and savagely tears its victim up." (from Bulbapedia) So, it does eat meat! But what meat? Do they have to be so vague about this?
    Well, duh, kids would get traumatized if ther Feraligatr was told to eat Pikachus or something...

So much for my theory about zen Pokémon... :(

Also, about that stump of a story: it really made me want to write that darn parody, but I really am not going to, because I wouldn't write anything new there. It'd all be old and used.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • You know, the entry never says "this Pokémon loves to eat fuzzy bunnies, expecially if they're microwaved." Are Pokémon like some bunch of zen species who don't eat meat and fight for inner harmony and the well-being of their mind and body?
    I recall more! I recall Magikarp's entry (from GSC?) that it, by splashing, made itself targets for Pigeotto... Spearow or something ate worms maybe as well?

...some success after looking on serebii.net's old pokedex's for previous games - has the dex info there. For Magikarp:
    Silver: For no reason, it jumps and splashes about, making it easy for predators like Pidgeotto to catch it in mid-jump.
    Spearow: (suggests it eats them)
    Gold: It flaps its short wings to flush out insects from tall grass. It then plucks them with its stubby beak.

Oh, and of course, Houndour/Houndoom (yay for looking at old dexs for a one-shot beforehand that I recall from memory):
    Gold: It uses different kinds of cries for communicating with others if its kind and for pursuing its prey.
    Silver: To corner prey, they check each other's location using barks that only they can understand
    And Diamond/Pearl: It conveys its feelings using different cries. It works in a pack to cleverly take down prey
    Prey = meat, IMO, considering what animal Houndour/Houndoom are. :)

So basically, even in the older games, it shows that Pokeymans eat each other. Yay.
    (In my fic, I have an Umbreon who likes bacon, heh. But he hasn't eaten Bagon before...)

And something which I am forced to study this weekend, thus delaying more chapter writing:

Mathematical ability check-up
    Attempting to test students, and
    Torture them as well.
    Hperbolas and ellipses, and
    Similar triangles too.

Triganometry, oh and
    Evil calculus questions;
    Sealed within them: the
    True horrors only a maths
    Student knows.

(I blame the badness and un-orthedox-ness of the poem on them too :P).

Last edited:

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years
  • Yeah, I noticed those prey-things, too, as there are plenty of them. The only thing I'm looking for anymore is the actual mention of animals that aren't Pokémon in Pokédex entries. Like, say, a worm. Or a bunny. Or a bird. All the entries ever have are vague mentions of other Pokémon or this so-called prey, without a word of what it might be they have as a prey. Or then even more vague mentions like Pidgey's entry from FireRed:
    Does not like to fight. It hides in tall grass and so on, foraging for food such as small bugs.
    By that, you can't tell whether it means Caterpie or really small, non-Pokémon bugs.
    Pokémon most presumably eat each other, but are there really other animals in that world as well? Or can even flies and plankton learn moves and fight each other?

I'd sure like to see a fire type amoeba and an electric type paramecium fight. I'd suppose having Pokémon plankton and microbes really spice up things for researchers and scientists, when they can try and breed the ultimate dark type amoeba and then make it battle the ones of the other scientists in a microscopic fight.

Also, I loved that maths test poem :laugh: I'd just suggest you replace the word "students" on line three with "them as well" or something, it'd sound better that way. But seriously, I loved it. We really need a name poem thread.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back