• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

An-chan

Whoops.
Years
  • Actually, I have always been into parodies. I just have never really written any before. I don't know why, really, but now that I have this world-dominatingly awesome idea, I'll have to make it real one day.

Oh, and you should watch what you say, or I might really add you into the fic. You see, when you said that you never gave me a permission to add you, I got this incontrollable urge to make you appear in the fic. I don't know if I'll give in to that urge, though. I thought I could make a cameo in the story... Maybe get mocked by my dear marysues. By the way, one of them is a character Xanthine made as a joke, or rather a warning example.

This remainds me...
    Why is the Fanfiction Challenge -thingy here so easy? All we have is a theme. It would be a lot harder and more fun if there was a set of phrases or words that have to appear in the one-shot. Maybe that could be another challenge? I would like to try and write a fic like that... There could even be winners, judged by some odd criteria, like sanity. Or insanity, for the matter....
    Well, I don't know. You tell me what you think about this. Wouldn't be the first time I have an idea that works in theory but not in reality.

By the way, I'm eating food called pyttipannu. I think it originates from Sweden, like meat balls, but I'm not completely sure. It might be Finnish, too. It seems to be called bubble-and-squeak in English (what a weird name...). It has onion, potato, sausage and eggs in it. Has anyone eaten it or is it just us Scandinavians?

Bay

Years
  • No judging for the fanfiction challenge. The purpose of the fanfic challenge is to just basically write for fun. Contests are fun and all, but I'm now getting tired of quality being judge. Don't want another "ha, I'm better than the rest of you because my fic got first place" kind of thing.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Why is the Fanfiction Challenge -thingy here so easy? All we have is a theme. It would be a lot harder and more fun if there was a set of phrases or words that have to appear in the one-shot. Maybe that could be another challenge? I would like to try and write a fic like that... There could even be winners, judged by some odd criteria, like sanity. Or insanity, for the matter....
    Well, I don't know. You tell me what you think about this. Wouldn't be the first time I have an idea that works in theory but not in reality.
    The last prompt before I shut down the FFC was an actual phrase that had to be in the story.

And I am, and always will be, against the idea of judging writing contests unless forced into it by my peers.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Astinus is high >.>

So's Lakitu.
    Whaaat? Hoo're YOU, of ALL PEOPLE, CALLING MAD??!!! YOU?? CALL ME MAD? YOU CAN'T TALK, BUDDEH! YOU'RE HIGH EFERYTIME I SEEEE YOO!!

-hem-
    Yeah, ok, I'm not on drugs anymore. Hmm, is the topic about parodies again? I LIKE PARODIES! THEY HAVE "PIES" IN THEM! PARODIES!

Hey, An-Chan, you getting sad your not here when most fun is? I'm NEVER here when the fun is! I live...uh...a long time away from those peoples. At GMT +10 or so. Across the IDL from them. So peh!

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • Yay! I just slept in until two o'clock in the afternoon! Today, my plans are to play Pokémon Pearl, finish my segment of the Exquisite Corpse, work on my fanfic, and post around here. *Sigh of contentment*

Oh, and pizza. I'm going to eat pizza.

My DS is blinking. And so is my computer and it's peripherals. Aaaand my cellphone. Aaaand my roommate. Aaaand my roommate's computer and cellphone and clock and television.

I have just posted a fanfic it is called Pokemon:A Legend's Tale. Hope you all enjoy it.

I can't imagine how awkward that was to post. I can just imagine him coming in with his head down, typing that quickly onto the jumbo-sized screen we have at the front of what I am now imagining as our virtual lounge, and then walking briskly out.

Last edited:

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years
  • Oh, you misunderstood me. When I said "jundged by some odd criteria" (or something along those lines) I really meant it. You know, like... Ah! Now I have an example!
    When the "judge" gives out the phrases and/or words, he or she also decides on the "winning" criteria. For example, the criteria could be the appearance of pies or flamthrowers. Or something like that. Now that I think of that, it seems way too weird even for me... All right, forget the whole winning-thing.

Besides, I don't like competitions either. I don't hate them as long as I have a possibility to win, but I never win any. They just make me feel bad. When I was younger, I thought myself as a somewhat good writer and draftswoman, so I participated in many different competitions. I never won any of them. Since then, I think I haven't participated in any real competitions... Exept for one national maths contest. I don't know how well I did in it, because only the best ten were notified. I also wish I shall never know.

To get to my high school, I had to take the entrance exam. We had to make three different drawings and paintings in three hours. It took me only about one and a half hours... I once went to the school office and asked how many points I got from the test.
    I got 4 out of 10. The minimum amount of points people needed to get in was 13.2 or something, and I only passed that with 0.1 points (the points I got from my report card were 9.3).
    Did I feel special after that. Our office clerk even noted something like "those aren't very good points at all". "I know", I answered to her, and crawled out of the office...

But, on the other hand, I was pretty lucky to get in. Our biology teacher is the best there has ever been or will be. It's a decent school, too. So, I guess I was lucky.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • Whaaat? Hoo're YOU, of ALL PEOPLE, CALLING MAD??!!! YOU?? CALL ME MAD? YOU CAN'T TALK, BUDDEH! YOU'RE HIGH EFERYTIME I SEEEE YOO!!

-hem-
    Yeah, ok, I'm not on drugs anymore. Hmm, is the topic about parodies again? I LIKE PARODIES! THEY HAVE "PIES" IN THEM! PARODIES!

Hey, An-Chan, you getting sad your not here when most fun is? I'm NEVER here when the fun is! I live...uh...a long time away from those peoples. At GMT +10 or so. Across the IDL from them. So peh!

You where not called mad, you where called a stoner, or a junkie, a crack addatic, a pot head, etc.

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years
  • This is too bad... I'm feeling so creative right now, but I have to go to sleep because I have to wake up before 11 AM (it's over 3AM now...). That really sucks, because now I'll never finish that stupid chapter and I know the moment I close my laptop you guys are all going to go nuts again. :laugh:

But hey, I got over my writer's block (sorta) and I'm going to go to a chocolate festival tomorrow. I have big plans: I'm going to take my army of Sentret equipped with flamethrowers and little helmets and steal all the chocolate! Some of it may get a bit melted, but hey, that does nothing to the taste. Then, I'll melt it all and make it into one, solid cube. I'll eat a hole in that cube and live there for the rest of my life! I can cut flakes from my choco-walls and mail them to you guys, if you want. I won't need any money after I live in a house of chocolate.
    So, who's up for some chocolate?

If your character wanted to eat something delicious, would they go for something sweet like cakes or chocolate or rather have something like fine cheese or a gourmet dinner? Or would it be, say, a hamburger?
    And what about yourself?

I'm one for sweets or a hamburger... I'm kind of non-sophisticated when it comes to food. I like fish though. Many people don't.
    Good night, everybody. Or whatever time it is where you live.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • If your character wanted to eat something delicious, would they go for something sweet like cakes or chocolate or rather have something like fine cheese or a gourmet dinner? Or would it be, say, a hamburger?
    And what about yourself?

I'm one for sweets or a hamburger... I'm kind of non-sophisticated when it comes to food. I like fish though. Many people don't.
    Good night, everybody. Or whatever time it is where you live.

I just had a bacon cheeseburger with fries cooked in the same grease as onion rings. Super freaking awesome.

As for my characters, Latias springs readily to mind here. She really, really likes candy. Especially this stuff made by a butcher in Ren's home town. Otherwise, food in general is good enough for most of my characters, seeing as they don't get much of it.

DGexe

Taunter
    Years
  • If your character wanted to eat something delicious, would they go for something sweet like cakes or chocolate or rather have something like fine cheese or a gourmet dinner? Or would it be, say, a hamburger?
    And what about yourself?

Lauren would go for something Italian or sweet; a hamburger would be nice too.

Lord Wilkinson has a more sophisticated tastes; anything fine eating, he'll much it... of course, the occasional "uncouth" meal (burgers) will suit him nicely as well.

Collin... I'm not sure what he'd eat. Probably a lot of meat in his diet...

As for me, I can go for anything with chicken in it. Sweets (chocolate!) are really dandy too, and so is good, Texas chilli! Of course... burgers are a delecacy in my house as well. *shot*

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    And what about yourself?

Hmm...My characters aren't awfully developed in my story, but Mike would probably go for something with chicken or fish in it. Or anything. As long as it's edible. Except pot. Or crack. Or something like that (rhymed!). Me, I'd just go for the chicke or fish.

Spearow

mr. nobody
    Years
  • \Especially this stuff made by a butcher in Ren's home town.

... what exactly is it made of? I probably wouldn't touch candy made by a butcher, not that I have anything against them personally.

Also, I had a random question for all you fanficcy types? Two of them, actually.

1) Do you think of the regions described in canon (Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Orre, etc.) as the continents of a Pokémon world entirely separate (in a different solar system, galaxy, or even universe or dimension) from our Earth? Or do you think that they make up a small section of some alternate version of our planet, like a chain of islands where evolution produced strange and unique creatures Galapagos-style? Basically, how do you think our reality and its geography relates to the Pokémon reality?

2) When you write or envision more "official" Pokémon battles, such as gym battles and battles against the Elite Four, are they open to the public in the style of a spectator sport, or in a more private setting?

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Will answer the latest topic later. Just too lazy to think of my city of characters right now.

1) Do you think of the regions described in canon (Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Orre, etc.) as the continents of a Pokémon world entirely separate (in a different solar system, galaxy, or even universe or dimension) from our Earth? Or do you think that they make up a small section of some alternate version of our planet, like a chain of islands where evolution produced strange and unique creatures Galapagos-style? Basically, how do you think our reality and its geography relates to the Pokémon reality?

Personally, I see the Pokemon world as an alternate universe to ours. It's still Earth, but there's just another classification of life form on it.

So, on that note, I see the regions as being versions of exactly what they're based on. Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh are all parts of Japan. Orre is Arizona (despite what people say about it actually being part of Japan or China). The others I haven't entirely decided on.

Of course, then I have to figure out how culture works, but the simple answer is that the Japanese culture in that world isn't at all like the actual Japanese culture in the real world. As in, they're Japanese, but world unity is so awesome that everyone borrows from every other culture and possesses the ability to speak a common language. (Like Esperanto, only taken seriously.) Or I'm too lazy to think it entirely through.

2) When you write or envision more "official" Pokémon battles, such as gym battles and battles against the Elite Four, are they open to the public in the style of a spectator sport, or in a more private setting?

I go with canon-style rules here. Gym battles tend to be private because they're mostly spontaneous (with no time to get a good audience). Tournaments are massive to-dos.

You know, with that much enthusiasm for what is essentially cockfighting anyway, it's no wonder I think the Pokemon world is secretly sick and twisted.

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
    Years
  • 1) You can make this out almost any way you want, really, provided you put enough thought into it. I've done both the alternate earth and totally different planet approaches (the latter is what's used in most of my chaptered works). In one of them, the pokémon "world" is actually set on this earth, but farther into the future and as a purely artificial "theme park." Canon does make reference to real-world places several times, but people have found many a way to explain these away.

2) Tournaments would definitely be public, unless they were organized by a closed society or something. For example, perhaps Team Rocket has internal tournaments to determine advancement within the organization, where the only spectators would be admins evaluating the battlers' performance. As for gym battles, it depends on how the gym schedules them. If they're done in advance and they try to fill out a "full roster" of fights for any given day, I could see people coming to sit in on the day's challenges; it's less likely if you just kind of walk in and fight people, but even then, there might be some bored fans, or maybe gym trainers, who would hang out and watch in the off-chance that someone comes in to challenge but spend the rest of their time sparring with the gym leader or each other or something.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
    And what about yourself?

I don't know about my characters (not that deep of characters development yet!), but I myself have a dictioary definition handy for when I want something "delicious":

Delicious: n. —
    1. spaghetti
    2. rice
    3. ice cream

Anything else can be at most simply "nutritive".

I personally see the regions as being part of an alternate universe, like what Xanthine said, but set in an alternate future timeline. So when people refers to known landmarks such as Hollywood, I have it as place of that Earth that are called differently, but happen tobe still known for their "ancient civilization"name. It also helps with the portrayal of technology.

So in that sense, Kanto, Johto and all those regions are part of a large country or continent, and are located in a part of it that "used to be called Japan".

In my interpretatin of canon Gym battles are definitively private, although people can sign-up for a limited number of spectator positions. Also they must be scheduled beforehand, with at least 24h in advance. It's not just burst into a Gym and get a free battle against the Gym Leader. The referees are not trainers who happen to be in the Gym, but rather official Pokémon League representatives who rotate from one town to the next, maybe once every week or so.

Tournament battles, of course, are public, and for the final rounds of the most famous tournaments, they are televised worldwide as well as by the Intertubes. Battles against the E4 are held in a semi-private manner, with only a ring of trusted media channels allowed to record the event live.

Xanthine said:
    ...everyone borrows from every other culture and possesses the ability to speak a common language. (Like Esperanto, only taken seriously.) ...

Wow... I can't believe you just mentioned it! I happen to be a former speaker of that language! (I left it because of having no one to practice with) -- I think it rocks as a workable, realistic solution to that kind of problems in the anime or stuff like that where suddenly your average french citizen-made-hero happens to perfectly understand the instructions written on a tibetan nuclear lancher console: the world in question had settled into a common language like Esperanto, Ido or maybe good ol'Klingon... And even the more for Pokémon: after all, Pokémon names seem to be stardarized. Noone calls a species differently between regions, it only goes to trainer to nickname individual Pokémon.

I even remember a movie where the world was half-Esperanto, half-English, as a metaphor of the ubiquity of certain myths, urban legends or tokens of common knowledge (as in, why in pretty much every culture there are dragons, Great Deluges or things like that). But I don't remember the name of the movie itself.

That interculture thing was a pretty neat matter to point out, Xanthine. Thanks.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • ... what exactly is it made of? I probably wouldn't touch candy made by a butcher, not that I have anything against them personally.

It's made of candy ingredients. I think it's mostly berries and sugar. Mostly. Heh, it was her first meal, too.

I think of them as a completely separate universe/reality/what-have-you.

Spectator sport, most definitely. I'm going to be tweaking this idea in both of my fics with some interesting results.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Guys, give me time to move AshandPikachu's post. These forums suck. For many reasons.

If your character wanted to eat something delicious, would they go for something sweet like cakes or chocolate or rather have something like fine cheese or a gourmet dinner? Or would it be, say, a hamburger?
    All of my characters are apparently health nuts. They eat salad. Lots of it. Aden, my OT, eats processed traveling food and whatever crap she can find while wandering the woods.

I also eat lots of salad, vegetables, and fish, since I have a very sensitive stomach to spicy, greasy, and fattening foods.

Also a member of "separate universe/planet" camp. Though the only thing so far similar between my fic's version of the Pokeverse and the real world is the positioning of the stars in the sky.

See Jax's answer, for she can read my mind while I'm away.

The only tournaments that I write that have many trainers competing in them are all done privately though, for a few reasons. But the tournaments my characters don't take part in are all publicized events.

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
    Years
  • Ascaris said:
    I'm posting in the fanfiction lounge after... how long exactly?
    Me too ._.

I mean, good lord, what the hell has happened here? Seriously, I hate you guys, you know that? How can you all go and talk so much, aye. X_x I mean, aren't we supposed to be writers? Get to writing people! I can't keep up with this insanity!

Surprisingly, writing is actually what I've been doing lately. Only, not for TRINITY or TFC -_- Nope, it's been for my super secret stuff that is so totally not porn. Seriously, it's not. If I told you what it really is, I'd have to kill you. Just know that I actually finished proof reading the second part of this two parter. Part 1 was finished and posted months ago, while part 2 was written about two months ago and procrastinated on until today when I dragged my sorry ass over to it and proof read the monstrosity finally. Good god, 20 pages... Those stories aren't supposed to be as long as TFC chapters, dammit!

I then went on to rejuvenate myself by writing a quick two page story, on the same super secret subject of course. Doubt it'll be posted (not like any of you normal people care) since I didn't take it very seriously, but hey.

Now, what do we have on the agenda... Ah, quotes and answers! Always fun.

Post Office Buddy said:
    The way I have chosen to go about this is to use pseudonyms for members here and incorporate them into the parody. Yes, that means that many of you will appear in my parody. However, some of you may not.
    I'm not popular enough to get in, am I? ;_; I could make a good character, the one who slips in out of nowhere, does something which no one even notices, and then slips away again for ten more chapters. And then at some random point I'd pull out this huge gun—no wait, two huge guns and kick some ass with them Rambo style. I'd then disappear again and everybody would be left wondering "Who the F was that guy?" And Astinus would go "Hey, don't worry about him, he's cool." And everyone would be like "Oh, okay; if you say so, oh great and revered Goddess." And all would be well with the world. The end.

I should make a movie.

Astinus said:
    SPPf does have it's own good reviewers. It also has it's ff.net type reviewers.
    It also has Yami Ryu, who is always good for a laugh so long as you don't incur her rage or find her yelling at people who actually don't need to be yelled at (it happens).

An-chan said:
    (I demand that all the time zones are united into a single one (preferably GMT+2)!!!11111
    NEVAR! GMT-6 or I'm moving to the moon!

txteclipse said:
    I can't imagine how awkward that was to post. I can just imagine him coming in with his head down, typing that quickly onto the jumbo-sized screen we have at the front of what I am now imagining as our virtual lounge, and then walking briskly out.
    I...I'm not the only one who imagines this place as an actual room? :O I do it for chat rooms too, specifically this one I go to that I admin it. Of course due to how insane the chat is it never has any one shape, has been destroyed and instantly rebuilt countless times by now (the best time being when I performed an orbital bombardment from the starship Avalon that will be featured in TRINITY in order to destroy a giant rampaging Milotic. More common is the whole universe imploding after I mess with the spacetime continuum), and is armed with dozens of automated turrets that I can target to fire at anyone I want. Naturally everyone godmods and somehow destroys them, leading me to have to put new ones in all the damn time... Oh, and there are plenty of corners to sulk in, closets that hold unknown horrors, and so on.

This place...is a little more toned down. Lots of curves and really no corners since no one needs to sulk here. Couches, coffee tables, huge TVs... NO guns (if there were any some people would have a fit since they don't believe they exist)...

Have you ever been injured in a sport? Have you been bitten by anything before? If so, what?
    My sister. She be a vicious one.

Also, both our old and new cat. In fact, with our old cat which we no longer have, the very first thing she did to me on the way home was bite my finger. The bastard. But what a cute little bastard she was. :D ...It's so hard to be angry with cats. Unless you don't like them, which can only mean you're heartless.

They would try to eat the tasty cake, but then realize that they've been lied to and that, in fact, the Pokémon Center does not serve cake and that it is all one big lie.

Shrike would then go on to eat whatever is in front of him, Aira would try to eat healthy but sneak in a few sweets, and Rayne would eat meat. Lots of it. She needs lots of protein to kick ass like she does, you know!

Do you think of the regions described in canon (Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Orre, etc.) as the continents of a Pokémon world entirely separate (in a different solar system, galaxy, or even universe or dimension) from our Earth? Or do you think that they make up a small section of some alternate version of our planet, like a chain of islands where evolution produced strange and unique creatures Galapagos-style? Basically, how do you think our reality and its geography relates to the Pokémon reality?
    Overall the world is an alternate universe with many similarities in places, people, and things but with the addition of Pokémon and an overall heightened level of technology compared to our time (even more so in TFC since it takes place about 40 years in the future, around 2042). As for the islands, I see them as an island chain positioned somewhere in the middle of the Pacific Ocean between the US and Japan. The Japanese inhabited the islands first with the Americans following shortly, leading to a blend of the two different cultures on the islands but leaning more towards the Japanese side. It's noteworthy to add here that Pokémon are not confined to the Pokémon Islands; rather, they're found the world over. The Pokémon Islands is just the area with the highest concentration of them; so high that they have effectively wiped out normal animals, respective Pokémon taking their places on the ecosystem of the islands. (The people there obviously know that normal animals exist though even if they have never seen them in real life, thus allowing me to use Pokémon-animal comparisons without feeling guilty :D)

When you write or envision more "official" Pokémon battles, such as gym battles and battles against the Elite Four, are they open to the public in the style of a spectator sport, or in a more private setting?
    Mostly I see them as a private thing, with the gym leader occasionally doing an exhibition match that may be an actual gym challenge as well. For most trainers their battles are private and with the only audience being any companions they have. If they seriously want an audience, they have to arrange it far in advance with the leader since they only have certain dates when they do exhibition matches and they can fill up fast. Even for normal gym battles you may have to sign up, unless the leader doesn't mind fighting you on the spot and isn't busy or such.

Tournaments like in the anime are public and kind of like their version of the Olympics, while formal challenges against the Elite Four are far more private. For the actual E4, the match is recorded and televised and some people may be allowed in to watch, but it's definitely not a public thing. Champion challenges, however, are completely private. They are not televised or even recorded, and no one is allowed in the chamber except for the champion and the challenger. What goes on in there is known only to the two of them. Of course all of the E4 and the champion have public exhibition matches as well; it's sort of a requirement to keep people happy.

Until next time, whenever that'll be... Please, just...try not to churn up five pages, okay?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back