• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haz

Haz ya seen my hack?
Years
  • When you read something that is clearly bad!fic, how do you respond? Do you ignore it and try and obliterate it from your memory, leave a helpful review or maybe a flame?

Well, as I'm quite new to the fan fic scene, I usually leave it to the more experienced writers to review.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • When you read something that is clearly bad!fic, how do you respond? Do you ignore it and try and obliterate it from your memory, leave a helpful review or maybe a flame?

I normally try and ignore them, as I'm no good reviewer, but I often read them for the lulz. Seriously.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    When you read something that is clearly bad!fic, how do you respond? Do you ignore it and try and obliterate it from your memory, leave a helpful review or maybe a flame?

If it's causing me a headache to read it (and I know we've all read fics that have done that to us, don't lie!), I'll press the back button and continue drinking my orange juice. If it's somewhat readable, I'll read some of it for the laugh. It's a rare day that I actually leave a proper review (not that my reviews are any good, anyway).

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years

...Those are practically the only ones I read. Sometimes I read them for lulz, sometimes to help the person. Usually I give some kind of review in which I force myself to say bad things nicely and decorate the cake with actual nice things. I don't really think that's effective, but I can't just bring myself to be "mean" over the internet - or in real life for that matter. I'm currently on a course called "Creative Writing", and there are times when I really, really feel like criticizing them openly... But in the end, I never do that. Partially because they asked people not to do so, partially because I think I'm inpopular enough as it is :laugh: Anyway, I kind of hate that about myself. Figures it's a good thing, though.

Anyway, badfics generally take less time to review because the bad things are so apparent and they also take a lot less thought to read. So, I often do read them. I have actually only read a few "good" fics. I often get bored even before the fic has time to start properly or forget about the whole thing over night or possibly get a huge headache from reading English from a computer. Of course, those are all just excuses. I don't really know why I don't read anything proper.

On another note, I really believe people should read also bad literature. That way, you can appreciate good literature more... Also, I think it's useful for your own writing to read some crap every once in a while. It's very educative. Every once in a while, that is, not all the time :/

All that aside, I'm having a writer's block. Again. Halp? :<

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • On another note, I really believe people should read also bad literature. That way, you can appreciate good literature more... Also, I think it's useful for your own writing to read some crap every once in a while. It's very educative. Every once in a while, that is, not all the time :/

While, yeah, they're great learning experiences (if you know why they're badfics), on the other hand, there's only so many times you can do unicorn chasers before even unicorns can't cleanse your mind of the pain.

All that aside, I'm having a writer's block. Again. Halp? :<

Unicorns. They solve everything.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years

Generally I will just not read after a bit, really, although sometimes I will review and try to help the author. From then on in it depends really if they do try to improve or not, really... does depend on how 'bad' the fic is though.

And yes - unicorns solve everything. If you are unable to find one though...well, try brainstorming/listen to music/force write something/wait it out... it kinda varies from person to person, really. =/

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • what is this forum all about eggsactely.=D spelled wrong on purposite purposiives=D

The Writer's Lounge is for anything that has to do with writing, really. Questions, discussions, that sort of thing. This particular thread, meanwhile, technically is supposed to be for talking about writing, but really, it's about whatever we're bored enough to mind-vomit into the post box.

Orange_Flaaffy

Crystal Bell Keeper
    Years
    I have been around for so long I have a sort of form letter helpful review for newbie fics that are only a paragraph long a chapter...But for longer fics that I dislike (bad or not) written by older members I normally just go and read or write something else without reviewing. Flames do nothing helpful for me :P.
    Bad to boring fanfics sort of all melt together so I never have any trouble forgetting them :).

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • what is this forum all about eggsactely.=D spelled wrong on purposite purposiives=D

Pokemon Fanfiction and Poetry in general is for just that - Posting pokemon fanfiction (stories) and poetry. This subforum, the Writer's Lounge, is for discussing said Pokemon, fanfictions and poetry.

Hope I helped. =D

Oh, and btw, did you spell purpose wrong on purpose too? And add that...whatever word it is?

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I'm pretty sure eric402 knows what they're doing. *nods*

And about the new sticky...I know what I'm doing. Really. ;D

To add onto other people's answers: The FFL is where the orgies happen.
    emot-whore.gif

BAY! START THE NEW ORGY LIST! YOU SAID THAT YOU WERE GOING TO DO THAT. >3

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Pokemon Fanfiction and Poetry in general is for just that - Posting pokemon fanfiction (stories) and poetry. This subforum, the Writer's Lounge, is for discussing said Pokemon, fanfictions and poetry.

Given that Other Writing doesn't have a Writer's Lounge of its own and given that threads about general writing have been posted here, I think it's safe to say this forum's not necessarily specific to the Pokémon fandom.

Also, to Asty's latest sticky... Asty, are you shooting down the hopes of the newbies already? XD

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Whee, Griff's story. Doop de doop. -_-
    BAY! START THE NEW ORGY LIST! YOU SAID THAT YOU WERE GOING TO DO THAT. >3
    Why, what's wrong with the old one?
    Jaxxxy (three x') x Oni x Scythey x Asty x Phany x Thesis and his many blasphemic names x Alter ego x The stupid Gummy bear x this random silver person x Baybaybaybaybaybay x Turtleking x Lashy (ogod) x mewthree(random fandom!) x Saff x Sike x Jaxxy (owait, already said him xD) x bobandbill (mirror b!!) x DP479 x this luphinid person x DP-Chan x fanfiction x Guest x parody one-shot x John Paul x Andy x Angel
    Not sure if that was the oldest version, but yeah. -_-

Last edited:

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
    Years
  • Oh hey, look at that, I've gotten some writing done lately! TFC chap 4 is maybe about halfway done with TRINITY chap 3 being less than that due to a higher focus on TFC in recent days, leading up to a small writing spree today. I'd like to do some sort of double feature where I launch both chapters at once (getting both fics on the first page together :D), but if not TFC will come first and TRINITY will definitely follow after that. So do not despair whatever few and insignificant readers I may have, my stories are still alive and kicking!

txteclipse said:
    I know, what the heck? Get out of here, you dirty pig-ape.
    I AM NOT A DIRTY PIG-APE, TAKE THAT BACK!

I am a clean pig-ape, goddammit. What is up with people assuming that all of my kind are so filthy? There can be exceptions among us too, just like any other...thing! You're just stereotyping and discriminating, that's what!

When you read something that is clearly bad!fic, how do you respond? Do you ignore it and try and obliterate it from your memory, leave a helpful review or maybe a flame?
    I eagerly go into stalker mode and obsessively read every review to the story and response to those reviews while ignoring the story itself, to see if the author is the humorous kind who thinks he's hot stuff and that anyone who says otherwise is a flaming troll. If they are I'll laugh my head off while also checking stuff like visitor messages of the author and those who reviewed to see if the lulz spilled over elsewhere, and will continue to check the thread and such for days until it's all cooled down. If they are actually willing to accept criticism I'll just continue searching for my lulz elsewhere, though.

I myself never actually post anything, although I almost have at some points.

bobandbill said:
    Why, what's wrong with the new one?
    I'm not on it :O ...Well, not the one you gave. I'm pretty sure I was put on, um, one of them at...some point... JUST ADD ME TO IT IF I'M NOT ALREADY ON IT DAMMIT!

<_<

OH MY FRAKING GOD(S), WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO THE OLD FFOTM?!?!?!?!?!?!?! It has vanished, I cannot even find my own replies to it! ;_; And as I said in it, it was one of the few stories that actually draws my attention enough to read. I mean, it wasn't just un-FFOTM'D, it was deleted all together (or moved to a staff forum that I can't see, but yeah). Did he request it be deleted? Did Astinus "accidentally" hit the wrong button? Did I just imagine the whole thing?

I hope it wasn't that he requested it be deleted... There was no reason to, the only thing really wrong with it were the typos, and those aren't anything to get worked up over... I don't know if maybe he hadn't realized he had used moves that the Pokémon couldn't know at first and then got embarrassed when I pointed it out, but I even said it didn't bother me and put forth two theories of why they could use them...

Damn, I should have saved it. Now I won't even be able to read it again. X_x

Last edited:

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Why, what's wrong with the new one?
    Don't you mean what's wrong with the old one?
    I eagerly go into stalker mode and obsessively read every review to the story and response to those reviews while ignoring the story itself, to see if the author is the humorous kind who thinks he's hot stuff and that anyone who says otherwise is a flaming troll. If they are I'll laugh my head off while also checking stuff like visitor messages of the author and those who reviewed to see if the lulz spilled over elsewhere, and will continue to check the thread and such for days until it's all cooled down. If they are actually willing to accept criticism I'll just continue searching for my lulz elsewhere, though.

I myself never actually post anything, although I almost have at some points.
    Exactly what I do. I was just..not good enough at explaining. =D

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Don't you mean what's wrong with the old one?
    Umm...yes. *edits* -_-
    And as Shrike asked...

Jaxxxy (three x') x Oni x Scythey x Asty x Phany x Thesis and his many blasphemic names x Alter ego x The stupid Gummy bear x this random silver person x Baybaybaybaybaybay x Turtleking x Lashy (ogod) x mewthree(random fandom!) x Saff x Sike x Jaxxy (owait, already said him xD) x bobandbill (mirror b!!) x DP479 x this luphinid person x DP-Chan x fanfiction x Guest x parody one-shot x John Paul x Andy x Angel x Shrike Flamestar's Fire
    -_-

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
    Years
  • Goddammit, I just checked out FalconJoker's chaptered fic and found that he's deleted the stuff there... Guess he did request the one-shot to be deleted... I don't know why he'd do that when he got nothing but praise. I mean, I've seen people do similar things before (but mostly with art) when they don't want their name associated with whatever it is they depict, but...this was just Pokemon, not anything sexual or stuff which was where I usually saw all that.

I would make a topic or something relating to this, but...now I'm too depressed to do so. I hate it when stuff like this happens and people who I like just up and disappear or give up or both; it all brings back memories of when I was first posting TFC over at Serebii's way back in 2006 and got this really nice reader who always gave good feedback that wasn't just limited to praise but actually helped me with things I could fix. Not long after she began posting her own fanfic, she just...vanished, without a trace. Her fic died and I can't find it anywhere else online, and she herself was gone so long that by now her account's even been deleted.

bobandbill said:
    And as Shrike asked...
    Yay, thanks, all that... But man, now my fire's gone out and I'm too depressed to say anything funny and/or witty, not like anything I ever say is. ;_;

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years
  • That's not the latest version of the orgy list, you know. I know this because in the latest version, I was added, as well as Shrike and POB and so on. I used to have the link in my sig, but for reasons I don't remember I took it away and I think my head will explode if I have to go back and look for it. That thing is outdated, and I vote for a new orgy list to be made. A newer, betterer and crazier one!

Ahem. After this point, the whole post can be defined by "On a totally unrelated note".

I would make a topic or something relating to this, but...now I'm too depressed to do so. I hate it when stuff like this happens and people who I like just up and disappear or give up or both; it all brings back memories of when I was first posting TFC over at Serebii's way back in 2006 and got this really nice reader who always gave good feedback that wasn't just limited to praise but actually helped me with things I could fix. Not long after she began posting her own fanfic, she just...vanished, without a trace. Her fic died and I can't find it anywhere else online, and she herself was gone so long that by now her account's even been deleted.

I also hate it when people disappear online. I don't really get it, it seems like some people think nothing matters online. Like people wouldn't care if they just stop being online... I'm often especially sensitive about disappearing people, because one of my friends from girl scouts disappeared for a short while... Not long after that, I heard that she had killed herself, which was a shocking suprise for me because I had always thought of her as one of the happiest and funniest persons I knew. She did shave her eyebrows, but that proves nothing. So, anyway, when people disappear on me, I still get the horrible fear that they might have done something like that. Or died some other way. Hmm, this doesn't have much to do with what you said, but anyway.

Unicorns. They solve everything.

Somehow, I feel like I've always known that. Like the answer has always been with me, in the form of a beautiful, silvery unicorn... It might be that I'll never write again, but the unicorns are with me... Pretty unicorns... *drools*

I'm living in denial. I so totally don't have a writer's block or anything, you know, I just, like, don't feel like writing right now. It's, like, my own choice, and totally not forced on my by my limited, like, imagination or whatever. So, like, I'll totally be up and writing in, like, no time, so don't worry or whatever. It's totally not a writer's block. It's totally more like a... writer's.... hmm, like a writer's.... *sob* whatever... *sob sob*

*cries hysterically*

You wouldn't really know I have trouble writing when you read my posts, now, would you?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back