• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
  • Hoo boy. You are rather thorough.

Edgar Allan Poe once said that in order to write a short story (or any kind of story, really), no word can be wasted. It's really, I feel, one of the most important lessons of writing you could possibly learn. The English language is beautiful, but it's a very petty mistress. Every mark of punctuation has its purpose; every word, not only a meaning but also an implied meaning. Because a writer relies on language to convey what's in their heads and therefore can't be reached or experienced fully by another person, nothing can be wasted in a piece. Wasting them might be overstating something, or it could be as simple as making a tiny mistake. Everything goes into the overall flow and mood of a story because the story is like a net, where every thread interconnects to form an overall meaning.

In other words, yeah, I know. A lot of people tell me I'm thorough. Some even say I'm overly thorough, which you've thankfully not done. It's just that some people just don't realize that it's the nuts and bolts of a story that make it what it is and that the tiniest error in the use of them can screw up an entire sentence, and that just starts a domino effect if it's a particularly important sentence.

Well, that, and copyeditors in real publishing houses love their red pens. I hope to be one of these people one day, if only because I really love the English language that much.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • Please, Jax, do NOT get me started on Poe. We had to study The Pit and the Pendulum in class recently, and it was the slowest and thickest piece of prose I have ever encountered. It's even become kind of a 1011 (my class) meme. "Hey (blank), how many pages do you think it would take Edgar Allan Poe to write about (insert trivial everyday action here)?" "How many novels could he write about waking up in the morning and brushing his teeth?"

Not to mention his hilarious use of the phrase "I unclosed my eyes." I mean, what the heck, dude? What's wrong with 'opened'?

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2010
    Well here you have difference in taste. Whatever criticism I receive, it will not be an absolute truth. It's a matter of opinion. Vanlen may love Poe, and you might hate him.

too short didnt read DIFFREN STROKES FOR DIFFREN FOKES

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Ooooooh, but wordy jargon is both my specialty and my hindrance:

The diminutive convalescence of proverbial causalities, culminate clandestine traumas into eviscerating nuances.

Misheard Whisper

Years
  • Oh, I assure thee, Feign. Advanced levels of communication are my forte. And yes, Dassen, I accept that everyone has different views, Valentine included, and I respect those views. I'm merely stating my views.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Lol... reminds me of a time on another forum, where I got bored enough to start a thread where people could only strictly speak olde english.

But like the above, it is fun to mess with people's minds... As when I'd usually post like that, it was never in a writing forum XD

Misheard Whisper

Years
  • Well, I'm a Shakespeare fan, and it never ceases to amaze me how difficult some members of my class seem to find it to decipher the prose. I just love it. I was in Hamlet last year, and I've seen A Midsummer Night's Dream, Pericles, Prince of Tyre, and Taming of the Shrew performed. I got to represent my school in the Sheila Winn Shakespeare Festival as well, which was just great. We did Act IV, Scene V, I think, and we totally extracted the michael. =D Awesome.

Misheard Whisper

Years
  • Don't overwork yourself, Dassen. I churned out a chapter a day on my first fic, and it was a load of crap. I'm not saying yours is, but take your time.

And SQUEEEEEE 200 POSTS!!!!

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 13, 2009
    I don't think I make any sense at all right now, but let me ramble:

It's full of surprises and sometime almost utter derailings of the original plot to make it feasible

Oh, it's no good for you to bother with non-vanity publishing. Publishers buy stories that are the most profitable. Sure, you may or may not have a plot twist that everyone would want to copy if you do get published, but that's a gamble, and it's not one worth taking.

But I don't really care about spoilers, since I'm just reading to waste time, and what matters are the details. You could have a plot about putting on a shoe but the story itself could be the most compelling thing ever, as long as he doesn't get run over by a bus because that's just dumb.

Point is, the small details are just important as the big ones asdfjioelkf i should sleep

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StrictlyFormula
    http://news.ansible.co.uk/plotdev.html
    I had a third link, but I can't find it.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Please, Jax, do NOT get me started on Poe. We had to study The Pit and the Pendulum in class recently, and it was the slowest and thickest piece of prose I have ever encountered.

Yeah, just because the man couldn't write prose (and he really couldn't -- do read the Fall of the House of Usher as well) doesn't mean he didn't know what he was talking about. His rules of writing short stories apply to pretty much every story written after his. It's just hilariously ironic that they don't entirely apply to his work when compared with material from today's writers.

iChucho! said:
    Oh, it's no good for you to bother with non-vanity publishing.

...What?

You'll want to know that people don't take vanity publishing seriously and that not too many people actually pay attention to what's being sold through it.

Also, the idea that non-vanity publishers like Random House will only take what's profitable isn't necessarily true. Just because you slap together a rip-off of Twilight that will definitely tickle the fancy of a mass of people because it's fashionable doesn't mean you're going to get a contract if it's a pile of crap. It's very rare that crappy books (like Twilight... or, if I may say so myself without offending certain people on this thread, Eragon) get published because those stories are typically the ones that get ripped apart. Sure, if you're a big-name writer (like Stephen King), you pretty much get published automatically, regardless of how skilled you actually are. However, it's possible that no-name writers with good books get something.

It really all depends on how good your agent is. Yes, your agent. The reason why not too many people get published is also because not too many people realize that most publishing houses nowadays don't accept work from anyone who isn't represented. Fact of life, really, but no one seriously sends a manuscript to a publisher without one nowadays. They used to, but now, those manuscripts actually get rejected. If you find a good agent, the agent will choose the best publishers for your book and pitch your story to them for you.

Ergo, to clarify, there are cases where good books get ignored for mediocre books simply because they'd sell. However, it's very rare that crappy books actually get through because editors usually rip those things apart and send them back with a post-it saying you suck. Likewise, there is such a thing as a good book that actually gets through to be published, and it's not entirely a rare occurrence. (The first Harry Potter book, for example. Subsequent ones -- particularly the last three -- were pretty much because J.K. Rowling's a big-name author.) It all depends on the people supporting you, and yeah, sometimes, that depends on luck.

But it's a hell of a lot better than settling for a vanity press, where you'll most likely be laughed at, given the fact that vanities are more or less a joke in the writing business.

So, please. Tell me you weren't actually advising someone who wants to become a writer that it's best to go with a vanity press.

To add, if you meant you thought it wasn't worth it to gamble with new plot devices because no non-vanity publisher would buy them without a mass of people who would already love it... seriously? And who do you think starts those trends? Magical, godly people who are always awesome writers? I'd like for you to go back and reread Twilight because let me tell you, Stephenie Meyer wasn't appealing to the kids who watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer or who read Anne Rice. Yes, it's a risk, but if you're a decent writer, you might as well go ahead and give it a shot. After all, Rowling wasn't an author when she started, and the fantasy genre was just one for kids and geeks. It sort of exploded after that.

tl;dr, WTF @ first paragraph, sorry to say. And, well, actually has nothing to do with the post you're quoting. A number of people would jump at the phrase "new and shiny," so he's advertising to the audience. Granted, it's no way to advertise to a publisher (because the editors will be the judge of that), but he's looking for readers.

Also, it should be noted that the TV Tropes article you're offering up amusingly only applies within a series or genre. As in, if you state your story is a genre, it probably will follow a certain formula, whether or not you're conscious or unconscious about it. (OTs usually do.) Likewise, in certain cases where the writers tend to be less-than-creative, episodes of certain shows will follow the same formula over and over again. However, if you're outside of a genre or if you're a decent writer (and I don't see any of the novels I mentioned above in this article), then it doesn't necessarily have to apply for you to be successful.

The second article, meanwhile, seems to be heavily sarcastic anyway. While it says that a lot of notable books rely on same plot, different names, it's not actually saying that all of them do it or that it's particularly recommended that you should do it, either. Unless you'd like to be the talentless hack he explicitly mentions in the last paragraph.

If this isn't at all what you meant, I apologize, and do feel free to clarify.

Last edited:
    Years
    • PA
    • Seen Aug 14, 2009
    I made a new series of fanfics called the Aggron Saga. I am done the first one so check it out and comment on it. I will be making more in the future.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • For the love of Arceus, people, stop being so fickle. It takes you guys a week to generate a page of responses, and then I leave for a day and you write a short novel's worth.

[Writing environment question]

I sit at my computer desk and type, pretty much. Sometimes I lay or sit on my bed with my netbook, but the keyboard and screen are tiny so it gets annoying after a while. I also use my writing journal once every so often, when I don't have access to my PC.

I also try to have Gatorade at hand, which seems to nourish my muse.

In terms of cliche ridden stories, or stories that are otherwise unoriginal, what is the greatest detractor for you, when reading those types of stories?

Usually the fact that there aren't any interesting plot devices/twists or that I can predict everything. I know it's bad when I start calling events before they happen. This is especially horrendous during movies, when people hate you for it.

In other news, what the heck should I call the limbs of Latias and Latios? I've spammed "fore-claw" and "hind-claw" to beyond death, and I need some new descriptions.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 13, 2009
    (The first Harry Potter book, for example. Subsequent ones -- particularly the last three -- were pretty much because J.K. Rowling's a big-name author.)
    I didn't like Harry Potter that much. Then again; I was six.

It really all depends on how good your agent is. Yes, your agent. The reason why not too many people get published is also because not too many people realize that most publishing houses nowadays don't accept work from anyone who isn't represented. Fact of life, really, but no one seriously sends a manuscript to a publisher without one nowadays. They used to, but now, those manuscripts actually get rejected. If you find a good agent, the agent will choose the best publishers for your book and pitch your story to them for you.
    I have been enlightened.

So, please. Tell me you weren't actually advising someone who wants to become a writer that it's best to go with a vanity press.
    He said his main job would be a teacher, so I don't think money is the most important thing.

The second article, meanwhile, seems to be heavily sarcastic anyway. While it says that a lot of notable books rely on same plot, different names, it's not actually saying that all of them do it or that it's particularly recommended that you should do it, either. Unless you'd like to be the talentless hack he explicitly mentions in the last paragraph.
    Did most authors have agents in 1986? No, seriously, this is new to me. I already know I'm talentless, but I'm not a hack, as I don't make money.

If this isn't at all what you meant, I apologize, and do feel free to clarify.
    I didn't mean anything.

{Swan}

I Never Asked For This.
    Years
  • In terms of cliche ridden stories, or stories that are otherwise unoriginal, what is the greatest detractor for you, when reading those types of stories?

the characters. I often stamp a story as bad or unoriginal when the characters seem either too perfect or don't speak to me at all. An example the over-exampled Twilight. Bella didn't catch my attention at all. She's the average clumsy but gorgeous little girl that gets the love of the hot supernatural. Boring.
    Another is Zoey from the House of Night series. Seriously, she controls all of the elements, is especially chose by the goddess Nyxc and has four, yes four boyfriends. That reeks of Sueism. And the writing is bad too. It's written by two different people, PC Cast and her daughter. Well I assume it's the former one where the writing gets good, and the latter where it gets dull and especially childish.

On the Poe front: In school we had to read a short story of his called the Tell-Tale Heart and I found it one of the most interesting things I've ever read, and I read a lot. It's just a very interesting perspective and idea. I love it =]

Last edited:

Lash

Years
  • Are there any kind of real life situations that can actually help you write more/better?
    here I go again with a random on topic question, lol.
    and, haha, I actually have an answer to that, but i feel a little embarrassed to say it, but what the hell screw it.

lol, long strike through.

But, yeah, the situation that helped me write a bit better happened recently. Short story shorter, a chick I really like is in Cali for a little bit, and I was planning to ask her out once she got back. I was sort of stumped at what to do next with my fic, so I was just taking a writing break and scrolling around on the internet.
    Next thing I read in this writers block, the girl has a boyfriend who she recently met. I was all ":(" for a couple minutes, open up my writing document, and I was all "MORE IDEAS NAO WRITE WRITE WRITE", and it's overall made my first almost finished chapter wayy better. I don't think I would have gotten that little burst of inspiration if I hadn't read the '6/21/09<33' on her profile.

So yes, for me IRL situation of heartbreak = WRITEOMGWTFICECREAMTRUCKWRITEWRITE! XD

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • I didn't like Harry Potter that much. Then again; I was six.

It was an example, but even then, when the critics and Stephen King (writer of the most comprehensive guide to writing in this modern age) agree Rowling had something... yeah.

He said his main job would be a teacher, so I don't think money is the most important thing.

I never said it was. Where in "Tell me you weren't actually advising someone who wants to become a writer that it's best to go with a vanity press." was an indication that I thought he was writing for money?

Seriously, though, vanity press is an easy way to get published, and you'll probably get paid for it if some really bored person actually finds your book. You probably won't get your book bought as much as you would a book from a bigger, non-vanity publisher (because that's what you usually find in the bookstores), but you'll get something if you're published either way.

Additionally, the Dassen said he wanted to be a teacher and (eventually) write, so your statement that he shouldn't bother with a non-vanity press was still advice to someone who wanted to be a writer, even if it was part-time.

Did most authors have agents in 1986? No, seriously, this is new to me. I already know I'm talentless, but I'm not a hack, as I don't make money.

As far as I know, the concept of lit agents have been around for awhile, including as far back as the 1980's. (A lot of noteworthy writers I can think of off the top of my head had agents back then, including, if I recall correctly -- and Asty can correct me if I'm not -- Orson Scott Card.) Really, I don't know when the last time people could have published without one was.

But either way, yeah, a lot of big publishers don't take you seriously if you don't have an agent. Random House for a noteworthy example (considering it's pretty much the largest in the world). Magazines usually don't require a lit agent, and smaller publishers will do it either way. But the ones that put the most books on the shelves? Not so much.

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2010
    About halfway into this chapter

Spoiler:

Incidentally, how does everyone feel about Brave New World?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back