• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
  • Ah, the routine thread that appears on Serebii that gets discussion elsewhere every half-year or so (although maybe more often than that. D=). It's not that bad with some help, but atm... It's stuff like that that makes sppf look silly, really... Anywho, getting away from negative opinions started by people, Astinus has a point - a bad read can be quite helpful, same with average stories, or great ones.

Does your culture's iconography (as in: set of cultural, religious, social or economical symbols) play a role in your writing? If so, what symbols and/or meanings do you explore?

Hmm... as Lash said - music is something that influences my writing; some of that would be relevant to thise, so yes. But beyond that, not so much, really. (Least-ways not consciously).

.Ozymandias

Child of Time
    Years
  • Astinus - HOMG love your avvie. Just love him >.<

Does your culture's iconography (as in: set of cultural, religious, social or economical symbols) play a role in your writing? If so, what symbols and/or meanings do you explore?

A little. If I'm speaking about a specific culture, I'll do a shed-load of research to make it right, but generally, not much makes it in there.

A personal favourite is to have colours and their meanings in my work. Blue for calm etc *example off the top of my head and probably incorrect*.

Bay

Years
  • Astinus, I love you now.

Like seriously, I'm actually tired of the reviewers of Serebii that say make your sentences more complex. So what if not all of my sentences are long and full of prose? What I'm trying to get across with Nothing, Everything is a suspense and mystery story of everyone trying to figure out the meaning of history. To do that, I have to get the actions and emotions across well, and its to not make the writing way over the top. If I try prose and very complex sentences like the old literature works, I don't think any of my readers would understand what's going on (although my readers didn't understand what the heck was going on in Chapter Four XD; ). And also, my readers won't be able to find the clues easily if the sentences are more complex. ;)

Also, yeah in total agreement you learn from the bad books as you would learn from the good ones. Oh gawds, Ian McEwan's complex writing style makes me want to tear the book apart. XD; In all seriousness though, that book taught me to not write in chunky paragraphs filled with complex sentences, heh.

Why history isn't in there? O.o History is part of culture too. :)

Anyways, NE has a buttload of historical references that are Pokemonized. XD For instance, The Region Fights are loosely based off of the Crusades and also I referenced the Imperial Era, though I didn't put a Pokemonized name in there. XD And oh, Ernest and Jacob fighting over the plates is a reference how archaeologists in the past actually do it for fame instead of for the sake of research. ;D

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • Does your culture's iconography (as in: set of cultural, religious, social or economical symbols) play a role in your writing? If so, what symbols and/or meanings do you explore?
    Now, no. When I first started writing, it was full of it. I had a tree professor (yes, kill me now!) called Professor Kauri. The kauri, for those who don't know, is an enormous tree indigenous to New Zealand that can live for one hell of a long time. I don't know how many years, but it's a lot. Likewise, I can't tell you how big it gets, but it gets biiig. Botany is hardly my specialty. Since then, though, no, I don't think so.

dotKarma

FCs in Sig
    Years
  • Does your culture's iconography (as in: set of cultural, religious, social or economical symbols) play a role in your writing? If so, what symbols and/or meanings do you explore?

I guess it kind of does. It depends on what I'm writing, though, since I write both fan-fiction and original stuff. Like right now, I'm working on a One-Shot about something going on in Kanto/Johto. I'm not gonna spoil it or anything, but let's just say it covers a topic that some people can relate to.I put some economic and social aspects of the States in and I have added some other things in. All I will say is scandal...

Off Topic: Now you may be thinking how you haven't read any of my work...I've been on another forum for a year and a half now (it shall stay disclosed, and it's not another Pokemon Forum) on which have posted a lot of ideas and beginnings to stories. Yet I have problems finishing them as I want to change things.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • I can definitely see the difficulty of iconography usage, particularly of standard cultures. But there are some out-there cultures that you can steal ideas of. Yesterday I made a post in the DCC concerning this - with the Satere-Mawe people, a tribe in South America, you have to undergo a kind of torture involving a glove full of bullet ants (ridiculously painful sting) in order to become a man. This is something I'm considering adapting and using later on for my fic in some of the Torcran cults.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • I'm just curious about this.

What level of involvement do you have with your characters?
    That is, do you identify with them? Do you see them as friends? Tools? A repressed side of your own personality? Do you like your protagonists? Do you hate your antagonists? Or maybe vice versa? Do you see them merely as a vessel for telling your story, or do you feel as if you almost are them?

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • What level of involvement do you have with your characters?
    I see my characters as mixtures of the people they're based off. I usually base all my characters off one or two people - so I may like one side and dislike the other, dislike both sides (rare), or like both sides (also rare). I feel a bit like a puppetmaster who has lost control of the strings (in a good way) - I've invented the personalities and now exploring how they interact together, only to bring about an occasional large pull that throws them off balance. :P

dotKarma

FCs in Sig
    Years
    That is, do you identify with them? Do you see them as friends? Tools? A repressed side of your own personality? Do you like your protagonists? Do you hate your antagonists? Or maybe vice versa? Do you see them merely as a vessel for telling your story, or do you feel as if you almost are them?

It's like using cultures for me; it all depends on what the story is and stuff. If I'm using characters of my own, I may feel that I have to relate to them to help get their emotions and the overall feel of them across. For the use of other characters whom are the creation of someone else, I don't really have to relate as much, as most people know of them already. But even with my own, personal work, I may just be using a homemade character as a tool to help the story move along.

I am a very strange writer, I feel, which is probably why the above may sound weird to some of you. (Tell me if you don't)

I can love a character, I can hate a character; either way, as long as they get the point across or help finish up the story in some way (even if they make me sound hypocritical, that's when you have to find out which opinion is mine; I'm pretty sure I throw my opinion onto someone in the story, even if it's a minor role).

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • That doesn't sound weird at all. Sometimes the story calls for a role that is best fulfiled by characters you didn't expect - I'm experiencing the same thing right now, and it has to be homemade. I know I relate to some of my characters on varying levels.

You're no more crazy than the rest of us, dotKarma. 8D

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
    Sparkling Dragon said:
    Do you see them merely as a vessel for telling your story, or do you feel as if you almost are them?
    I would say that my characters are a vessel for my story, but I wouldn't say "merely." Storytelling is an inherently personal art form, so whatever vessel I use to tell a story is inherently personal as well. I don't see my characters as "friends" or even as separate beings, because they're completely inseparable from myself and my ideas. From my point of view, being friends with your characters is like being friends with your right arm.

EDIT: By the way, where's your answer?

Dagzar

The Dreamer
    Years
    I see them as tools. No matter how much I like them, basically they're all just playthings I use to entertain myself and others. Using Citrinin's metaphor, they're my puppets and I manipulate them however I want. Despite that, I do love most of them, no matter how evil they are. The only ones I don't like are characters I don't know very well or haven't fleshed out yet.

dotKarma

FCs in Sig
    Years
  • From my point of view, being friends with your characters is like being friends with your right arm.

What if the person reading this is left handed, or doesn't even have a right arm? What if he/she can't use his/her right arm? Are you...*gasp*...generalizing?!

And yes, I am just being difficult.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • GAH! By reading about your loss, I lost too. D:<

The idea of characters as inseparable elements to yourself is interesting, though. I'd never thought of them like that.

dotKarma

FCs in Sig
    Years
  • EDIT: GAAH! You made me lose the game, dammit! I hadn't lost since June!

*In a villainous voice*

Haha, you have fallen into my trap! Yet, you are the first of many that will fall for my master plan of letting everyone know that THEY HAVE LOST THE GAME!.

[/VILLAINOUSVOICE]

That means you all reading this as well...MWAHAHAHAHA!

(I'm done)

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
    I see them as tools. No matter how much I like them, basically they're all just playthings I use to entertain myself and others. Using Citrinin's metaphor, they're my puppets and I manipulate them however I want. Despite that, I do love most of them, no matter how evil they are. The only ones I don't like are characters I don't know very well or haven't fleshed out yet.
    Couldn't have put it better myself. :D
    Though, I do tend to prefer the badass ones more. It doesn't matter if they are protagonists or antagonists.

On that note
    Where do you Draw your Inspiration From?
    Usually, I take bits and pieces of culture, anime and manga and ram them all into my fic. Then I rearrange them and try to use them as a means of telling my story.

Lash

Years
  • Where do you Draw your Inspiration From?
    Everywhere. Inspiration for my story in general comes from the upcoming release of Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver, and I get bits and pieces of inspiration for chapters and events from the anime and manga. Then I spice it up with my own originality so I'm not copying plot for plot :3

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back