• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    Have you constructed a #-Man Band in your fics, intentionally or otherwise? If so, who falls under which character category?
    The canon characters in the fic I'm writing now all fit into those categories. The original character in the fic is a "Sixth Ranger".

My worst Mary Sues. Let me show you them. Describe your worst, most headdesk-worthy creation and why you like to pretend they never existed. Extra credit goes to whoever provides links to the fics in which they appeared.
    Daughter of Lance.

Chosen trainer of Suicune and Lugia.

Saves the world.

Ash Ketchum's best friend.

Dimension hops to another world, where she is also the the savior of the world, and canon character's best friend. Has a kid, who has the power to come back from the dead continuously.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
    My worst Mary Sues. Let me show you them. Describe your worst, most headdesk-worthy creation and why you like to pretend they never existed. Extra credit goes to whoever provides links to the fics in which they appeared.
    Daughter of Lance.

Chosen trainer of Suicune and Lugia.

Saves the world.

Ash Ketchum's best friend.

Dimension hops to another world, where she is also the the savior of the world, and canon character's best friend. Has a kid, who has the power to come back from the dead continuously.

Wow. Wow. That's just...although, I guess you did start writing earlier than the age of seventeen, neh?

Mine is probably Ren, I guess. I dunno. I've tried to steer clear of sue-ness as much as possible, but he is a self-insert, and I've probably screwed him up somewhere along the line.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    That sue test is pretty good though.

I hope we at least try to steer away from the bad mary sues, like inconsistencies with characterizations and personality.

Perhaps if I read Twilight, I'd try to categorize Bella Swan, but I expect I know she would already be a Mary sue...

Harry Potter might even be considered a Gary sue. Like from Orphan to chosen one and he goes from having no friends and not being able to share anything to fixing that. You'd think he'd be a complete introvert. Then again, he does not talk all the time. And certain things can be explained and justified, if the author provides them correctly.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
    A whole page, guys? And then some! Jeez! solovino, I believe that may have been me, although I also owe you one.

Have you constructed a #-Man Band in your fics, intentionally or otherwise? If so, who falls under which character category?
    The Hero: Hmm . . . I'd say Tyson, although Haley on some days.
    The Lancer: Haley, maybe Matthew sometimes.
    The Smart Guy: Jerry.
    The Chick: can only be Haley.
    The Big Guy: would have to be Jerry too, purely by virtue of his being five years older than the rest of them.

Eggs?
    Poached. Or boiled. Never in an omelette, tyvm.

I think I'm all caught up now. OH ONE MORE THING! *shoots Asty for singing Aerosmith* Not on my watch ya don't. Did you guys hear, Steven Tyler broke his shoulder or something recently?

Bay

Years
    Sparkling Dragon, no I haven't. Hadn't kept up with celebrity news that much like before. Hopefully he'll have a speedy recovery.

And Feign, those Sue tests are fine and all, but they're more or less so to test if your character has common Sue traits. Remember though, if a character has a Sue trait, that doesn't make them a Sue. What makes a Sue is how the world interacts with that character and if he/she defies any logic. Hard to explain, so Valentine can explain that a thousand times better than me.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Yeah it is a good guide, but nothing perfect. I think for what we're doing here though, it might suffice XD

It is good to have some traits though to keep the story interesting, but not to many.

*accuses the boy from 'Where the Wild Things Are' as being a gary sue* >.> XD (yeah if you already hadn't caught on, don't take that serious, I was jking :P)

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    Okay, the inner-editor needs to say something.

*accuses the boy from 'Where the Wild Things Are' as being a gary sue* >.> XD (yeah if you already hadn't caught on, don't take that serious, I was jking :P)

The term is "Gary Stu." And yes, capitalized because it's a name. Sorry, but I keep looking at that and thinking, "Oh God."

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    My unfamiliarity with the male version of the name is evident. I shall have to distract you:

Either that, or I start taking apart brain matter!

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    That's just...although, I guess you did start writing earlier than the age of seventeen, neh?
    Those fics were written from the age of fourteen to age eighteen, actually.

Gary Stu or Marty Stu? Hmm? Hmm?
    Depends simply on which term one is more used to. Both terms are acceptable for the male form of a "Mary Sue".

A Gary Sue, or a "gary sue", is something that simply does not exist, and saying that a character is a gary sue invokes laughter in people for many reasons.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    hmmm

Clandestine calamities intervene upon the severity of the penance of apparitions dehumanized by diminutive partitions, thus derived from chastity, the soul is unassailable.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
    Gary Stu or Marty Stu? Hmm? Hmm?
    I've actually never heard of the term "Marty Stu". XD

As is typical, whenever I hear a new word/term, I'll hear it everywhere from now on. It's like "microcosm", a word I learned this year. Before that, I never remember hearing it, and now, it pops up everywhere. XDD;

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
    Clandestine calamities intervene upon the severity of the penance of apparitions dehumanized by diminutive partitions, thus derived from chastity, the soul is unassailable.
    Actually, that was kind of scary. *shivers*

Allow me to translate.

Secret, unknown disasters come in between the severity of the repentance of apparitions that have been deprived of human qualities by tiny amounts, thus having personal integrity, the soul cannot be attacked.

I'm not sure what it actually means though. And I'm wondering if I translated that right...

The way I look at it, Feign might be having a vision, going mad, quoting a poet, or giving advice. I myself, am not sure.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    Describe your worst, most headdesk-worthy creation and why you like to pretend they never existed. Extra credit goes to whoever provides links to the fics in which they appeared.

Hoo boy. Well, mine is kind of a different case - the first reincarnation of a character from Metal Coat (Yami, actually) started off as a roleplay character a few years ago when I wasn't quite smart enough to identify my own Sues. She kept the appearance and relations when she moved over to fanficdom, but was originally intended to be an inside joke to any readers who happened to RP on Neopets during her reign of terror. She did, however, get a few years older, gain a pair of sunglasses, and develop a way, way better personality (when we actually get to see what is entirely hers).

...Oh yeah, and then there was the protagonist and antagonist of this one really old fic. It was basically a PMD fic about a couple of twelve-year-olds who owned Charizard and Salamence, and Dialga and Palkia, respectively.

Here be it, if you could endure the length (one and a half pages of pure fail and imminent "WTF?"):

Spoiler:

And then another different attempt at the same premise (five or six paragraphs):

Spoiler:

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years
    Holy crap, guys! Over a page already? I clearly live in the wrong time zone...

Describe your worst, most headdesk-worthy creation and why you like to pretend they never existed. Extra credit goes to whoever provides links to the fics in which they appeared.

Yeah, so, since I'e only written in English for two years or so, I don't have that many overly crappy fics (although this is arguable). However, I've been writing in Finnish since year x, so I have a ton of very, very, very bad text in the drawers of my desk. I shall now summarize one of them to you. I was nine years old when I wrote it.

The hero is a 9-year old girl called Liisa, which is essentially the Finnish equivalent of Mary. Her family owns a stable full of horses and she has an annoying little brother called Pekka (the Finnish equivalent of John). One day, a foal is born. Naturally, Liisa's father gives the foal to her. Liisa names her Omena (Apple).

After a week or so, Liisa gets mad at her parents for being terrbily unfair to her. She runs away from home, taking her trusted companion with her.

After years of wandering around, Liisa accidentally finds a boarding school for people with horses. She is, naturally, taken in immediately and she also makes friends with her roommate, Saara, right away. Saara obviously also has a horse.

Saara's horse gets into trouble. Liisa's parents come to the school to save the horse. After all this, Liisa goes happily home to her family - who are not angry at all - with her beloved horse.

The end!

That, I think, is the worst I've ever written.

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
    Years
    Meet Alan Ketchum, son of Ash (who has for some reason become a professor). He gets a Charmander as a starter and goes out, immediately happening upon RAINTEICUNE! You see, Raikou, Entei and Suicune were running around Johto when they all of a sudden CRASHED TOGETHER with so much force they all DIED. But then they came back to life thanks to an electric spark from Raikou, combined into one! (They weren't the real Raikou, Entei and Suicune, though. They were just clones. You know, there have been a billion trainers with cloned Master Balls around cloning Pokémon using that neat PC trick.)

So, spoiled brat that he is, Alan happens to have gotten a Master Ball from his father, so he just throws it right at the thing. And takes it home. And they do a little bit of research on it, go "ooh, cool, it has three types" for a while, and then Alan gets to keep it. Because it already loved him just that much.

Then he goes around and beats a whole bunch of trainers with it until MOLZAPART (you see, Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres and Mew were all playing in Seafoam Islands when suddenly they saw a MIST STONE and thought it was a Geodude, so they attacked it, and it CAME TO LIFE AS A COMBINED VERSION OF THEM except it didn't look like Mew at all but still had psychic powers) suddenly appeared before him and told him that Rainteicune should be wild. Meanwhile, his Charmander had accidentally evolved even though he didn't want to, and his personality had completely changed, so Molzapart decided to devolve him as repayment for releasing Rainteicune. Except that it didn't work properly, so instead Alan's Charmander got the power to EVOLVE AND DEVOLVE AT WILL. But he still got his old personality back so everybody was happy. Except his Charmeleon personality which died forever.

And the funny thing is that he wasn't even a Gary-Stu. Honestly. The description makes him sound like it, and any Mary-Sue test would mark him as over-the-top Sueish, but the thing is that I didn't care one bit about him. He was just a random plot device I put in to explain how Rainteicune was discovered, because as far as I was concerned I was writing a story about my awesome fake legendaries Molzapart and Rainteicune. The stuff about his Charmander evolving was something midway between an author tract about how Pokémon evolution is eeeevil (I have no idea how I came to that conclusion, because I always evolved all my Pokémon on my games) and an excuse to make him use exclusively Rainteicune for all his future battling. And then I had to fix that somehow because I couldn't just make his Charmander lose his original personality forever and Charizard was my favorite Pokémon, so hey! Make him gain the ability to evolve and devolve at will! Meanwhile, Alan was just kind of there. The real Sues in that fic were Molzapart and Rainteicune, really, except for the part where they weren't actually characters, really. It's quite an odd story. Molzapart and Rainteicune!

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Actually, that was kind of scary. *shivers*

Allow me to translate.

Secret, unknown disasters come in between the severity of the repentance of apparitions that have been deprived of human qualities by tiny amounts, thus having personal integrity, the soul cannot be attacked.

I'm not sure what it actually means though. And I'm wondering if I translated that right...

The way I look at it, Feign might be having a vision, going mad, quoting a poet, or giving advice. I myself, am not sure.

I've done it in the past, but I'll leave it up to you, as to what it actually means. ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back