• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
Have you ever implemented plot threads/sub-plots/mini-arcs/whatever in your stories? If they're not spoileriffic and you don't mind sharing, what were they?
Aren't plot-threads inherent in stories? I should think without one, it wouldn't be a story.

Last edited:

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
I have an announcement!

People in general, prepare to despair! I have posted the Fanfiction Lounge *bold topics* Index!

A bit later than planned, due to formatting and trying to check more stuff, but already done. There's no turn back now, we are all exposed.

The thread is comprised of three indexes: "general topics", "lounge insanity" and "lounge announcements". The lists are still inciomplete (I'm sure of it) but now that the thread has been posted I'll be able to better follow other bold topics and double-check the links. Who knows, someone may find amusement that last for the entire day checking the topics under th second index...

Speaking of bold topics... I'll answer these later. I'm tired now.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Years
Have you ever implemented plot threads/sub-plots/mini-arcs/whatever in your stories? If they're not spoileriffic and you don't mind sharing, what were they?
Aren't plot-threads inherent in stories? I should think without one, it wouldn't be a story.
I think the question was referring to multiple plot-threads as opposed to singular.

I have used sub-plots in both of my chaptered fics. In the parody, I integrated the story of the oppressed author who wants nothing more than to be free of writing the story he inhabits. Okay, that's an over-dramatization, but whatever. In my main fic, I devoted one chapter to a secondary character, while all the previous chapters followed the main character. It involved said secondary character bamboozling the United Nations.
solovino said:
Speaking of bold topics... I'll answer these later. I'm tired now.
What is your opinion on a bold-topics index? Do you think it will be too hard to maintain?

Just kidding, solovino! ;)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
If I'm reading this right, you're saying that a story has to have sub-plots. It's entirely possible to have a story with only one plot-thread, especially with short stories.

I have used sub-plots in both of my chaptered fics. In the parody, I integrated the story of the oppressed author who wants nothing more than to be free of writing the story he inhabits. Okay, that's an over-dramatization, but whatever. In my main fic, I devoted one chapter to a secondary character, while all the previous chapters followed the main character. It involved said secondary character bamboozling the United Nations.
The way the bold question was presented suggests asking if we've ever used any of those devices, not all together.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
I have just read the entirety of the Bold Topic Index, and would like to have a round of applause for our dear Solovino who has sacrificed minutes upon minutes of valuable sleep time to bring us such an achievement (and with such an awesome and Giratina-envy-inducing layout too). [clapclapclap] And if I'm understanding your reply correctly, Redstar, you're implying that you must include side-stories for other characters/groups as well as the main plot? :C Oh well, another thing I did wrong in Metal Coat then. I don't see how that's necessary.

Unless, of course, it was I who messed up by wording questions badly.

HAHAHA EAT MAGNET-RISE YOU SON OF A GROWLITHE

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
I have just read the entirety of the Bold Topic Index, and would like to have a round of applause for our dear Solovino who has sacrificed minutes upon minutes of valuable sleep time to bring us such an achievement (and with such an awesome and Giratina-envy-inducing layout too). [clapclapclap] And if I'm understanding your reply correctly, Redstar, you're implying that you must include side-stories for other characters/groups as well as the main plot? :C Oh well, another thing I did wrong in Metal Coat then. I don't see how that's necessary.

Unless, of course, it was I who messed up by wording questions badly.
Read my above post on this.

Bay

Years
Well, NE is in two parts, before Jenny and Bunny met with Jacob and then after. However, there are sup-plots and arcs in the story:
Spoiler:

And solovino, nice work on the index! I might comment and suggest improvements later. :)

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
One thing that's interested me with the answers to that question is that some people aren't keeping their fic all in the same document. If you don't mind me asking, what's the appeal of doing that? Personally, I'd find it quite inconvenient. o.o

I just keep them separate for ease of organization (okay well right now it's on my desktop, but still). Needless to say, I can find them all easily.

Well my current fic is sort of like two plots going on at once, but the one occurring in the present is the more important one. Though I don't really want to give spoilers for either.

Caliban

Trying to change my life, brb~
Years
Wow, there aren't actually as many bold topics as I thought there were.
MAKE MOAR BOLD TOPICS ANNOY SOLOVINO!!!!111!!9!!11!

I'm looking forward to multiple additions.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Wow, there aren't actually as many bold topics as I thought there were.
MAKE MOAR BOLD TOPICS ANNOY SOLOVINO!!!!111!!9!!11!

I'm looking forward to multiple additions.

Currently it leads up to July 31st so there are a few more, but I think there could be about 1 a week, if not a bit more, not sure ratio-wise (or rather cba to find out XD, wooo britishy term used for once).

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Did I tell you guys I had my first cavity drilled today? Novocain is absolutely wonderful. I couldn't feel one side of my face or even taste with half of my tongue for a few hours.

Kind of makes me want to start writing R-9WM again. Mewtwo has an interesting history with medical procedures.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Years
Did I tell you guys I had my first cavity drilled today? Novocain is absolutely wonderful. I couldn't feel one side of my face or even taste with half of my tongue for a few hours.
What a coincidence! I'm up at 3:16 EST because the surgery I had today has set my sleep cycle out of whack! Are you allowed to eat anything? I'm strictly restricted to liquids right now (the breathing tube they used made my throat irritable).

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
Medical procedures all around. I just got glasses today, after 13 years of having naked eyes. :o To make it related to Fanfiction, perhaps we could talk about the kinds of medical procedures that your fic characters have had? :P

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Funnily enough, I haven't ever gone to an eye doctor, but I do see pretty far (and pretty close).

My sister recently went and was told that one eye was slightly better than the other, but not enough for the need of glasses.

I do know however that, eye exams are more than just for glasses, that people can develop cancerous tissue at the back of their eye (if I remember correctly), among other things. So perhaps I should get an eye exam.

Other than that, no malady has become me. That is to say, no broken bones, not even one visit to the hospital. Okay... well if you count that Indonesian hospital though, but I was there akin to a doctor's visit, of which I never stayed. Though apparently I was like .5 C degrees (if not less), from having to stay overnight, as I was feverish and such. Otherwise, I am pretty healthy I'd say. Though I would like to work out [more].

Let's see, my character in my current fic will not have a medical condition, and since it is in the past, will have less viability to it. But an unexplainable event will occur. Of course the other character is Ash. And the villain in the present probably sustained injury in his lifetime, but nothing all to serious.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
What a coincidence! I'm up at 3:16 EST because the surgery I had today has set my sleep cycle out of whack! Are you allowed to eat anything? I'm strictly restricted to liquids right now (the breathing tube they used made my throat irritable).

Yeah, I can eat, I just had to wait until the Novocain wore off. If I didn't, I might have started chewing through my cheek or tongue without feeling it. *shudder*

To make it related to Fanfiction, perhaps we could talk about the kinds of medical procedures that your fic characters have had?

Well, Mewtwo was obviously cloned, so she's a test-tube baby in every sense of the word. After she was "born," she underwent an anesthesia-free operation in which her spinal cord was severed so it could be fitted with a wetware-to-software interface.

The extent of medical procedures in the Chronicles has included Latias and Latios getting wounds seared shut by blasts of fire from a Torkoal, Ren getting a field dressing from a very squeamish Kairn, and Kairn and Houndour having Potion applied to them after they both almost died from exposure to the elements.

Dang, my characters have a sucky time, don't they?

Last edited:

Caliban

Trying to change my life, brb~
Years
Speaking of medical procedures, I GET MY CAST OFF TOMORROW!
*jumps up and down squealing and humming "Twist and Shout" by the Beatles and "Hot Potato" (the Wiggles rendition) at the same time as typing this*

Ah, haven't got a fic. Yet. I'm planning something about a Happiny with cyborg implants, though.

And the answer isn't 42 exactly, but 41.9999999999999999...3.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
Hmm... just an observation I've made, but it seems this forum (PFF&P) is so incredibly community-driven. The main section flourishes because of members willing to take a large portion of their time to write, and also large portions of their time to review. This relies on the creativity of members, whereas, say, the games forums, are more dependent on the actions of an external agent - Nintendo/Game Freak. And yet, we still manage to do this while maintaining a high standard throughout the forum.

And even here, in the Writer's Lounge. We have solovino trudging through this massive thread to make an index. We have Valentine and Sparkling Dragon writing comprehensive reviewing guides. We have countless writing guides. Bay maintains an index of fanfiction, while bobandbill maintains a Beta Place. And then, of course, we have Astinus, controlling the nonsense. XD;

Other forums on PC which are so community-driven, like Other Writing and Webmasters Discussion, often lapse into inactivity due to a general lack of passion or interest. But it really amazes me that this forum can thrive, primarily based on the passion, creativity, dedication, and selflessness of so many members. :'D

I suppose this post is in recognition of everything that we have done, as a community, to make this forum what it is today. And it makes me proud to call myself a regular of the PFF&P. ^___^ I guess this is like the opposite of a rant. XD;

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
I've thought the same thing. It's so hard to find a decent community online for writer's that allows for such ecstatic and sometimes heated discussions over a variety of things. Even the writing itself gets attention. Most places tend to ignore posted stories, even the good stuff, yet everything here, no matter how "good" or "bad", is given attention. I really like that which is why I ultimately decided to stick around the forum when I had originally joined for no reason in particular.

I like being here not just because of the writing but because of the people that put that effort in, just as you said. There's those here that I respect and enjoy the "company" of, which is strange in that you can get to know people through one aspect (writing, in this case) and know them in other ways. It's a fun place, basically. You got the right idea, Cit. =D

Bay

Years
I agree. I love coming to this section because there's always something interesting here, whether it be the lounge, the stories, or announcements like the reviewing guide and the bold topics index. Also, made a lot of new friends here. This makes me glad I have gone back to PC (went on a nine month hiatus until I decided to come back). :P

To make it related to Fanfiction, perhaps we could talk about the kinds of medical procedures that your fic characters have had? :P
Now a bold topic. :P

Anyways, in NE Bunny got shot in the leg so she had to go to surgery right away. Luckily though the doctors were able to take the bullet out quickly and with no problems, so she wasn't that badly injured.

And speaking of procedures, I too had to get my cavities drilled yesterday. The left side of my lips and nose went numb for a couple hours after. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back