• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
  • As I've said before, I believe we've been talking for months about refining or consolidating the general writing guide to weed out unnecessary, outdated, redundant, or just plain wrong information and replacing it with current information. While the majority of the threads that were around at the time have simply been merged, it would do to go back through it and weed out posts that are simply repetitions or just contain explanations that are actually taboo or otherwise vague. For example, could we please not advocate thesaurus abuse? Or actually redefine the most common genres or points of view (and spell check on top of that)?

Moreover, it might help to create a general writing guide with all the tools (or at least links to possible tools) that a writer would need. I'm going back and forth about whether it might be beneficial to merge The Grammar Advice Thread, but if it's best on its own, then it really should be finished or at least continued to cover more of the most basic mistakes. (I'm really glad there's a comma guide which some of us seriously need. Apparently, we could use a paragraph break guide as well because it's suddenly become fashionable not to hit the enter button twice between each paragraph. Maybe we could even use something that defines why we need to avoid raping the English language with a rusty pole.)

So, yeah. A Mary Sue guide might be nice, but you can actually pretty much say everything you need to say about Mary Sues in one simple post. (We've covered most of the ground except the very basic definition as it is. As I've said before, if you have to spend pages upon pages detailing all the traits that hoist the red Sue flags, most likely, you're missing the definition of what a Mary Sue actually is. After all, it's difficult to specify exact traits because Suethors tend to borrow elements of what's "trendy" in a fandom. When I first learned about what a Sue is, one of the red flags was starting off with an unusually colored Pikachu and eventually getting a Raichu. Nowadays, it's starting off with a Riolu and eventually getting a Lucario, and not that many people do the Pikachu thing anymore. The details tend to change. And that's not even touching the fact that the Chosen One fic has become an entire standalone genre.)

Off the tangent, if we can trim it down to just one post, we can add it to a general writing guide to avoid cluttering the WL up again with stickies while at the same time actually getting down the basics that we've been needing to refine for months.

Edit: Post above is tl;dr. Read Asty's link as well for more ideas on what needs to be done.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • WOAHACTIVITY. x_x;

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but I see nothing wrong with using Aura, provided it's fighting against something equally (or more) powerful. (Or, like others have noted, that limitations are put on it).

Does your story ever go in directions you never intended it to go in?
    Oooooh yeah. Therea are plenty of unexpected developments that happen in my fic, due to inspiration. Some plotlines I've been planning from the beginning, but others have come up throughout the story. Even now, I don't know how my fic is going to end. XD

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    I don't really believe in Mary Sues. Mostly a made-up concept.

Do you utilise Aura (capital A, Aura) in your fics, or do you avoid it like the plague? Why?
    I have something like Aura in my fic, but I developed it before I even knew about its presence in canon... I'm keeping it, and ignoring Aura (I don't use fourth gen canon) but I think people will be able to tell the difference because its origin and purpose is entirely different.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • Redstar said:
    I don't really believe in Mary Sues. Mostly a made-up concept.
    Not so much a made-up concept as an observed one. A trend had developed among main characters and the characteristics that fit that trend were observed. This was labelled "Mary Sue" (or, in the case of males, "Gary Stu"). Of course, the names/labels were made up, but the concept is observed.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Not so much a made-up concept as an observed one. A trend had developed among main characters and the characteristics that fit that trend were observed. This was labelled "Mary Sue" (or, in the case of males, "Gary Stu"). Of course, the names/labels were made up, but the concept is observed.
    True enough, but the term is mostly mis-applied. Mary Sues do exist, but people throw the term around so much that meaning is clearly almost lost. Avatar characters seem to get this a lot, and it just irks me.

Caliban

Trying to change my life, brb~
    Years
  • Valentine said:
    They help, sure, but you can't just SHOOP-DA-WOOP someone in the face and be done with it, especially if your powers are specific. Telekinesis, for example. You can throw a car at someone with your mind, but I'm pretty sure you can't use it to set a zombie army on fire, regardless of what the Resident Evil movies would like you to believe.
    You could possibly use telekinesis to carry a can of petrol around at high speed, and then toss a lighter into the mix...

Well, there are experts (despite what you may say, I count you among them), and there are others. I'm not suggesting a free-for-all. Maybe just base it here. Most of the idiots don't bother hanging in the FFL.
    O, rly?

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • You could possibly use telekinesis to carry a can of petrol around at high speed, and then toss a lighter into the mix...

Which means you're not just using telekinesis in one shot to get the job done. Not to mention zombie army. Unless that fire spreads hella fast or that's a tiny, tiny army, I doubt a single can of petrol and a lighter (assuming you can concentrate on throwing it and working it at the same time) will finish them all off in one go.

Caliban

Trying to change my life, brb~
    Years
  • Which means you're not just using telekinesis in one shot to get the job done. Not to mention zombie army. Unless that fire spreads hella fast or that's a tiny, tiny army, I doubt a single can of petrol and a lighter (assuming you can concentrate on throwing it and working it at the same time) will finish them all off in one go.

In essence, yes. But SD will tell you right away that DBZ-Negi could pull it off.

Where would we find the zombies, though?

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • Negi is from Mahou Sensei Negima. He gains a resemblance to a character from DBZ when he uses dark magic, but his power level is . . . actually, some crazy guy has a scale. He puts himself at 12,000, but Negi later fights him to a draw, which puts him at well over 9,000.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Negi is from Mahou Sensei Negima. He gains a resemblance to a character from DBZ when he uses dark magic, but his power level is . . . actually, some crazy guy has a scale. He puts himself at 12,000, but Negi later fights him to a draw, which puts him at well over 9,000.

I get the feeling we shouldn't be considering anyone whose power levels are over 9000 here.

Misheard Whisper

Years
  • Orly? I don't suppose it matters, as DBZ-Negi's power level is enough to put him on par with the strongest characters in the series. Numbers are irrelevant.

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
  • Seeing as I've been getting myself back into the writing game and I hope to spend more time here, in the FFL, I'm going to supply a topic.

When it comes to your writing, is there anything you do that annoys you? Like a pet peeve?

As for me, one thing about my writing that annoys me is that I seem to write better at night. It could be the darkness, the quiet, my state of mind, or even a combination of the three. It just annoys me because when I'm trying to write during the day, the words don't come to me as quickly and sometimes my work starts looking... sloppy.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • Redstar said:
    True enough, but the term is mostly mis-applied. Mary Sues do exist, but people throw the term around so much that meaning is clearly almost lost. Avatar characters seem to get this a lot, and it just irks me.
    Fair enough, then. That makes sense. :)

Misheard Whisper

Years
  • Seeing as I've been getting myself back into the writing game and I hope to spend more time here, in the FFL, I'm going to supply a topic.

When it comes to your writing, is there anything you do that annoys you? Like a pet peeve?

As for me, one thing about my writing that annoys me is that I seem to write better at night. It could be the darkness, the quiet, my state of mind, or even a combination of the three. It just annoys me because when I'm trying to write during the day, the words don't come to me as quickly and sometimes my work starts looking... sloppy.
    I'm like this too. I write best in the evening/night period. It's quite normal, as this is when your brain has been awake a while. Well, when you're tired it's no good, which is why my personal preference is about early to mid-evening (say, 5-9 pm.)

To answer the question, I annoy myself with my tendency to write wooden dialogue. I just can't seem to get it to sound normal!

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
  • I'm like this too. I write best in the evening/night period. It's quite normal, as this is when your brain has been awake a while. Well, when you're tired it's no good, which is why my personal preference is about early to mid-evening (say, 5-9 pm.)

To answer the question, I annoy myself with my tendency to write wooden dialogue. I just can't seem to get it to sound normal!

I write best between 11PM-1AM, right before bed.

Also, I have the same problem with wooden dialogue, it just never sounds normal to me.

Misheard Whisper

Years
  • I'm not sure how well I write from 11pm-1am, mainly because I'm never awake then. 8O

(Black Rock Shooter pwns. I've just discovered the existence of Vocaloid, and I am hella impressed.)

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • When it comes to your writing, is there anything you do that annoys you? Like a pet peeve?
    Description. Particularly during Pokemon battles. >:

Dagzar

The Dreamer
    Years
  • When it comes to your writing, is there anything you do that annoys you? Like a pet peeve?
    Dialogue, for sure. I don't know why, but it always comes out unrealistic to me, especially if scenes are pretty much all dialogue with little description.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back