• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feign

Clain
Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Hmmm do you mean like one battle would strictly be description, and another one, just on attack commands?

Or perhaps that after a command, a description is given?

If it is the latter, it could work, just as long as it isn't monotonous.

Like attack > description > attack > description etc

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    I mean most battles using both, but when a very high-velocity fight comes around ignoring the commands whatsoever and just cutting to the descriptions.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    I suppose it also depends on how many battles there are, and their importance (not just in terms of the opponent, but your own character's development as well).

With my fic that I am writing now, I don't think I will have a battle for a while, but I will have two wars... so a lot to deal with there. XD

Bay

Years
  • Okay Feign, you better make that post on how to make battles now. :P

Giratina, I would say both is fine. If you already described Ice Ball, for instance, the next time you can just say, "The Ice Ball attack hit Porygon, causing him to shake from the chills," or something like that. Also, it's fine to capitalize the attack names if you want people to know it is a command and not just something the Pokemon did. Hopefully I got this right because I just woke up. x_x

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • Oooh, wars? The book I'm currently writing will have a war soon. Well, that's planned for the sequel, but even so . . .

Hey y'all.
    sup.jpg

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    And...bump.

I was on for a few minutes in work, so I really couldn't respond much to the current topic.

Giratina, I agree with Bay. She got it right even though she just woke up. I mean, there's a difference between "ember" and "Ember".

Speaking of wars, it obvious that a few fanfics I write have war in them, since it's canon.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Lol wait, now a full fledged war? XD

Actually I thought of an interesting idea of that. While it depends on the region the person is from, or perhaps their style of attack etc.

A brigade could be similar to that of a Pokemon deck (from the TCG) where there will be a majority of one or two types of Pokemon, this way it will also make describing the moves slighlty easier.

But you'd also have to look at it realistically... Perhaps it is easier for the opponents to breed easy-to-breed pokemon... Like lets say it is easier to make a ton of Taurases...

It would definitely suck to describe or say otherwise that there were 300 different kinds of pokemon in the battle...

Or you could also describe a part of the battle, like how the reader is reading about how specific pokemon are fighting or that particular attacks are just so overwhelming.

Perhaps an intersting way to describe it, would be to think of yourself as a camera, now take that camera and start flying with it before, during and after the battle area.

"Pokemon clashed... A Nidoran was seen upturning an Ivysaur with its horn... Blood was being shed everywhere." etc (half baked example mind you...)

You also want to make the war look tough for both sides... Unless of course your pokemon are like the spartans.

You want the reader to feel for the protagonist's side. And the thing is, you don't have to be blatant about it... like the bad guys all wearing black armour and giving menacing looks. What can make it more fearful is that (if especially they have the upperhand) they are presented as merely human and pokemon, nothing more.

Perhaps a good example of this is Cyrus, he gives off a good vibe at first... but then suddenly his plan is in full spin, of course we can do better than that though, because the show was meant for kids, and dialogue limits to some extent.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • Dang. I missed a few days. *goes back and reads everything yeah right*

I think it could be interesting to have everyone toss up a bit of unpostable (new genre name FTW), except mine is pretty grody lime. I'm thinking it's probably one of those fics that someone posts and you tell them that they should have kept it to themselves.

Anyway, I read a warfic that was pretty good. Electrodes and Voltorbs were bombs, Venomoth and Butterfree were biowarfare, and Alakazams teleported entire armies to battlefields from these gigantic teleportation pads. There were basically groups of pokemon dedicated to specific purposes, and their trainers worked with them to achieve those purposes, like a soldier today would carry a certain array of weaponry and work as a single part of the collective army. Some higher-ups had specific pokemon which helped them stand out from the grunts and (usually) made them more powerful.

Last edited:

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    Okay, so I'm here for two things. One: to say I posted a new thread in the Writer's Lounge and think you should check it out. And two: to present a nice new bold topic because we seem to be running low on those.

Have you ever done something horrible to your character - really horrible, not just lose a match - because you thought they had been getting off too easily until that point?

I have. Yes. Except the character in question was a Neopets roleplay character, which means the worst thing that happened to him was getting attacked by an angry Mew... for about thirty seconds. He hasn't popped up in Delta Species yet, though...

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • I'm back! And missed a few days...

How should I describe the red cloth that Steven Stone wears in place of a tie?
    Just like the question, but in prose form. XD An example:

Instead of a red tie, a red cloth was wrapped around Steven's neck.

BAM! Thought of that just a minute ago! XD
    But wouldn't that just be a bandanna or ascot? Wait... It's an ascot tie isn't it. Dang, how could I not have noticed that. XD

The only time I've seen a weird hair color explained was in a Digimon fic, where the character has purple hair, but it was found to be dyed. Still doesn't explain how her kids wound up with purple hair, though.
    I do remeber a Keroro Gunsou(yes I watch it) episode wherein the main characters, when they traveled back in time, noticed that no one had dyed their hair yet. Which explains Natsumi's pink hair.

Have you ever done something horrible to your character - really horrible, not just lose a match - because you thought they had been getting off too easily until that point?
    Not in a fic, but instead in the Sims. I did torture one whole family in the Sims just because they were too perfect. XD

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
    Years
  • Have you ever done something horrible to your character - really horrible, not just lose a match - because you thought they had been getting off too easily until that point?

It is about to happen. Josh has been getting off way too easily with the things that he has been getting away with. Besides the fact that the person that loves him no longer loves him, something is going to smack him back into reality. He's probably the most misguided (really stupid and obsessed character) I have ever had.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    In a Pokemon fic, one character is killed and another is nearly killed because I was bored of the perfection they were living.

I think my personal favorite thing I did was when a character buys the engagement ring, has a perfect day with the sun shining, and then is nearly beaten to death.

I did torture one whole family in the Sims just because they were too perfect. XD
    My Sims torture themselves.

SkyBlue

I'm in love...with Ash!
    Years
  • Have you ever done something horrible to your character - really horrible, not just lose a match - because you thought they had been getting off too easily until that point?

Not much. But I probably will. Someone's about to lose her best friend...

Off-topic, please review my fan fic Coffeehouse: Chaotic Christmas.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023

Let's see... I've killed off an innocent character, I've subjected the canon cast to Zombies, and my current fic will also have its moments.

As for my RPing, I've broken some of my character's bones, or otherwise slowed their progress down... XD

Btw, I've been watching random anime (stopping to watch the ones that are actually interesting), and I came across "Now and Then, Here and There" and I've got to say it was really interesting... It has you thinking anyway... XD

In literature (or perhaps your own writing) what is your favourite theme?

So I'd have to say one of my all time favourite themes is 'innocense vs. experience'. A very thought provoking theme if I might say. ;)

For an interesting look at that theme, read William Blakes' poems: Little Lamb and The Tyger.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
    My first RP, I killed my character off because I thought the RP was too boring. I was such a noob, it hurts just to remember it. But I killed him, then brought him back as a handy - yet somewhat crazy - tip-giving, lightning-shooting ghost. :/

Bay

Years
    This question irks me. Not sure about all of you, but I don't do something horrible to my characters because they are getting off too easily. The only time I'll do that is if I'm doing a satire or parody and trying to make a point how Mary Sues don't have much going on in stories. Seriously, if you have your character get off too easy, then that means the world revolves around the character, not the character revolves around the world, and that's not a good thing. I do "horrible stuff" to my characters because I plan things to happen to them already. Required for the story sometimes for plot and theme purposes. Also I already plan what challenges the characters have to make so that I won't have any of them get off easily.

I'm always into the redemption theme. I believe everyone should be given second chances. True, not everyone is able to take that chance, but I like to believe everyone would like to life live with no worries over reputation.

Last edited:

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I had some thugs nearly break Lisa's leg, but there was another reason behind that.

There's also practically the entirety of Chapter 13, which I won't spoil because it's coming up soon.

In my writing, the prevailing theme seems to be "Things ain't so nice and perfect in the real world" and "putting in the effort to overcome adversity."

As for literature... what sort of themes would be present in a Quality Inn hotel directory?

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • Me and My Flame. All of you (over 16), go read it. Now. Now.

Btw, I've been watching random anime (stopping to watch the ones that are actually interesting), and I came across "Now and Then, Here and There" and I've got to say it was really interesting... It has you thinking anyway... XD

You've stumbled upon something wonderful indeed. Probably my favorite anime of all time.

Characters challenging and (at times) overcoming deep-rooted personal flaws. It probably stems from a profound desire to be rid of my own shortcomings.

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
    Years
  • In literature (or perhaps your own writing) what is your favourite theme?

Making your think that the right and wrong thing to do is opinionated. What one person sees as the right thing to do, another might see it as the wrong. I like working with faith a lot in my fan fiction as a positive thing. I have so many different things that I have themes. XD

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • In literature (or perhaps your own writing) what is your favourite theme?
    An intriguing question if I do say so myself. For me it's 'Death, it's spiritual condition, and how it affects the living,' and 'An Empire at the verge of collapse maintaining a precarious balance in between neighboring nations and internal politics, that might eventually break out into a war'.

I'm going to find time to watch that. It sounds interesting. By the way, if you're looking for random anime, might I recommend Kino's Journey | Kino no Tabi.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back