• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bay

Years
Wow, is my name change is as controversial as Tiger Woods? Now I regret my name change! D:

Well, despite my name change, you call can still call me baybaybay. :3

How would your main character react to the sight of slaughtered children?
Bunny would be horrified and wondered who would done such a thing. Jenny has been through this loads of times since she's a police officer, but she would want to catch the person that does that. Jacob would react the same way like Bunny despite being a criminal himself. :x

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Wow, is my name change as controversial as Tiger Woods? Now I regret my name change! D:

Ok then, baybaybaybaybaybaybaybaybaybaytigerbaybaybaybaybaywoodsbaybaybaybay wait what? D=

...this seems like a suspicious sort of question... have you killed any children lately, Feign? D= Anyways, Wes would have a sort of mild distaste about it all, and try to distance himself mentally (and perhaps physically as well if possible) from it as well... Rui would burst into tears and get rather upset about it, and later on want to do something about it and have the person/whatever responsible for it given justice of some sort.

...and Miror B would sing a sad funeral song for them or something.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years

Tyson would be disgusted, but immediately start looking for clues as to who/what killed them etc. Haley would possibly faint or throw up, and Jerry would fake a horrified reaction (he sees this all the time, after all). Cyrus would show no emotion, as usual, and Elina . . . Elina was probably the one who killed the children in the first place. *nod nod*

Swift!

The Swiftiest
Years

James spoiler-ish. He would probably be disgusted (who wouldn't?) and then he would do something about it. Possibly attacking the person/people/Pokemon responsible.

Scott would... well. Just replace James' name with his in what I said up there ^.

Evelyn would be disgusted and start crying/screaming about it. Or a combination of the two.

Mark would also be disgusted, but he wouldn't do anything about it. He'd just continue on his merry may, trying to block out the horrible sight.

Brace would be upset upon seeing the children, but then he'd push his emotions aside as it was probably him that did the slaughtering in the first place.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
...this seems like a suspicious sort of question... have you killed any children lately, Feign? D=

Ohhh unexpected activity!

Lol... I feel that I've killed my own children... that is to say "my children" is a metaphor for brain cells...

Though I did mention it was relevant to the anime I was watching. :P

In terms of the character Jericho in my fic, at his current age of 8, he'd most likely be traumatized, in that on first seeing them, he would scream for the life of him, and have recurring nightmares thereafter, sobbing himself to sleep in the first few nights, this especially if he were alone. He had an otherwise normal upbringing (normal in the sense that he wasn't traumatized and didn't have some large hurdle to jump over, and his family was well off.

Man I really want to finish that chapter... I hope I have time tomorrow, but I work after tomorrow too... This sucks... Sometimes I hate accommodating for things. :S

SkyBlue

I'm in love...with Ash!
Years
Looks like I have a lot to answer. I love these bold topics!

The DCMK characters would go into full-on detective mode.

The Pokemon Trainers would just stare at first, then start channeling their inner detectives. Except for Yellow, who would probably faint, and Dianne, who would channel her inner CSI, complete with lab.

The Power Rangers are sorted by their colors, so...

The Reds would wait for the results coming from either the DCMK characters, the Pokemon Trainers, or the CSI's, then, after figuring out whodunnit, go after the suspect, weapons at the ready.

The Pinks would start sobbing hysterically, except for Rose, who would welcome the opportunity to help in the investigation.

The Yellows would stare in shock, and start saying something round the lines of "WHO DID THIS?! I DEMAND TO KNOW SO I CAN EXACT MY REVENGE!!"

The Blacks would try VERY hard not to be affected.

The Greens would try to cheer others up, but when you're around death...well...it's highly implausible.

The Blues would jump right in the investigation.

The Whites would try to cope.

The other Rangers would scream, shout and say their opinions.
Take one character. How much has they evolved throughout the fan fiction? Tell us in what has they changed (Physically, Mentally, Spiritually.... etc.)

Hm...well, Dianne's from the real world, dropped right into the TV world by way of a chest. Here goes.

At first, she was a complete and total disaster. She fangirled over everybody, creeping them out. Ash fixed that right after he met her. I think. But when she became a Pokemon Trainer with her Pikachu, Lynn, who is her starter (and her first battle, which was with Ash who was far more experienced than her, and which she lost), she realized that she had a long way to go, and started to stop caring about if she knew a character or not. She still fangirls every now and then, but you can't really take it out of her completely.

Physically. She used to have long, long, LONG black hair that she tied into a ponytail. But she's chopped it off in favor of a more boyish bob. With more cowlicks than her old hairstyle.

Spiritually...she's more in tune with Pokemon than she was back in the real world. And now that she's a real Trainer, I don't think she can go back to playing it on her GBA.

Mentally...she's much more knowledgeable and experienced, thanks to many Gym Battles and Contests.

In other areas. Dianne's much calmer and more humorous (deadpan snarker alert) without me having to resort to "ZOMG IT'S ___________" mode.

She's gone a long way.

Is writing mostly inspiration or determination? And what are your secrets for turning the inspiration into determination? And which writing do you enjoy more: the inspired or the worked-for?

First question: It's both. Sometimes I have to work hard to be able to churn out ideas. Other times, when I see something, I go "Hey, that's it!"

Second: Huh. Just a good old daydream.

Third: Both! As long as I can create a story without the idea slipping through my fingers, it's quite enjoyable.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
Years
What's this now, people posting on topic and actually talking stuff relevant to fanfiction? Who are you people and what have you done to the Fanfic Lounge? :<

Is writing mostly inspiration or determination? And what are your secrets for turning the inspiration into determination? And which writing do you enjoy more: the inspired or the worked-for?

Fifty-fifty on the first question, I'd say. For me, inspiration is what shapes out the story in general terms, determines what will happen, who will make it happen, and how. Determination is the manual labor, assing the plan into action. Both are important and a lack of the latter has hindered me several times before, but really...without inspiration, there's just nothing to get started on. Unless the plan is just to churn out the pageloads of meaningless drivel that pass for a good fanfic on Fanfiction.net, you really can't go by without a good deal of both.

Second point, can't say I have much of a secret really. When inspiration strikes me hard enough, it just converts into determination whether or not I want it to and the story will haunt me for days unless I at least try to put it in writing. If I don't get that level of inspiration, though, then I really can't force the determination either. The harder I try, the harder it becomes to write, and I always end up loathing the end result.

So really, I've learned it's best for me to not try any tricks. They never pay off.

Third...well, see my first answer. I personally think any piece of fanfiction worth reading will inevitably be both inspired and worked for to some degree. That being said, errors of writing technique (spelling, grammar etc.) are far easier to correct than a bad premise, so if I had to choose one then I'd go with inspired. People who are just determined without any inspiration to go with it are the reason those bland, cliché-ridden, and utterly dull fanfic monstrosities that count their chapters in hundreds exist. <<

Also, for the sake of getting more questions around.

Which of these two fanfic types do you prefer: short and intense or long and detailed?

It's probably been asked sometime in this thread's history, but hey; I haven't been around in a while. XD

bobandbill

one more time
Years
What's this now, people posting on topic and actually talking stuff relevant to fanfiction? Who are you people and what have you done to the Fanfic Lounge? :<
Oh, today we're talking sense. But tomorrow, who knows? Us writers can still go insane within a reasonable period of time. Sometimes even quicker. =D

But last you were here was over a year ago. O_o Well, welcome back at any rate. XD Goes to show there is no escaping the FFL.

Which of these two fanfic types do you prefer: short and intense or long and detailed?

I don't really have any prefernence, personally... I like both, and sometimes prefer one kind over the other. Short and intense when I just want a quick read, and a long chaptered fic when I just want to lie down and read something for a while. But as long as it's good and tells the story (I believe a story should be as long as it should be to tell the story it's trying to... tell =P), I'm satisfied. I don't believe I have any preference writing-wise either although short ones are much quicker to write. XD

Swift!

The Swiftiest
Years

I'd have to say long and detailed. Oneshot's and short stories don't seem to interest me at all. They're just too short to become immersed in. I need a story to draw me in, keep me there, and then let me go with a whole new perspective from when I started.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
Years
Oh, today we're talking sense. But tomorrow, who knows? Us writers can still go insane within a reasonable period of time. Sometimes even quicker. =D

I'll believe it when the topic of the flying mankeys comes around again.

But last you were here was over a year ago. O_o Well, welcome back at any rate. XD Goes to show there is no escaping the FFL.

Once in the orgy, always in the orgy. Can't help it I guess. XD

Glad to be back at any rate.

As for myself...well, a lot of my favorite authors are very wordy and I tend to be that way myself when writing RP, not to mention that Midsummer Knights is still one of my favorite fics on this site, but lately I've just started appreciating the elegance of expressing a lot with only a few sentences. So...I appreciate both, in equal measure more or less, but there is ease of reading to one-shots and short stories in that I don't need to reserve an hour or two to get properly immersed in them.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Alter Ego too? Wtf!? Is the apocalypse occurring? 'Scuse me while I go hide in my refrigerator.

Both. I've read stellar examples of both types. That and my own writing ranges from one-shots to the currently-24-chapter Eon Chronicles.

First off, they would all probably vomit. I mean, let's be honest here. Then they would go through the usual indicators of mental scarring: become extra-clingy, have anxiety attacks, experience nightmares, etc. Latios would probably be the least affected, and Ren would be the worst.

Take one character. How much has they evolved throughout the fan fiction? Tell us in what has they changed (Physically, Mentally, Spiritually.... etc.)

Hmmhmm. Just one? I guess Kairn's development is the most obvious: he goes from being a bully in the beginning to befriending Ren after the guy more or less saves he and his pokémon's lives. He does keep some old habits, but he never intentionally abuses people or pokémon again.

Last edited:

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Haruka: The basic idea sounds good, but as has been mentioned, I'd skip to the part where the mystery really starts.

Both. I like following characters through a long, life-changing quest, but it's also refreshing to be able to read something short when I'm short on time and can't read anything too lenthy.

Lisa would most likely be scarred for life. Wow, we're getting morbid here XD

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023

I actually like both, especially depending on how well written the story is.
---

Can't say that the FFL has been that crazy as of late, then again, what people define as crazy, I might define as normal.

Well, we could discuss how to properly describe someone who is getting shredded up... XD

And on a related note:

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU New Moon Soundtrack ad...

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
You're name reminds me of La Pompa. XD

A creative mind loses it's grip with reality faster than a sane mind. What bobandbill said, we're highly unpredictable, glad to see you're back. Even though, I was not around at the time.

It's probably been asked sometime in this thread's history, but hey; I haven't been around in a while. XD
Sol would know. I haven't seen it in the BTI yet.

A Black Hole is what I call it.

I prefer both, but I feel that writers tend to place more emphasis on character development in long fics, than in short fics, where the action is mostly plot driven.
I prefer both, but I write long fics.

Painful Indifference. As in, he would feel indifferent towards the sight, but he would be painfully annoyed of his inability to relate to the children's plight.

Also, one more Bolded Topic to add to the pile:
Do you prefer to review long fics where the author makes one or two mistakes and a logical error, or do you prefer to review short fics where it feels as though the author is out to break every rule in the English Language?

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Do you prefer to review long fics where the author makes one or two mistakes and a logical error, or do you prefer to review short fics where it feels as though the author is out to break every rule in the English Language?

Psh, long ones. As long as I read from the beginning, that is. If I begin reading a fic after a few chapters are written, I rarely try to review. If there's seriously only one or two mistakes I notice total, I'll tell the author, but otherwise I just read it for the enjoyment factor.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023

I'll do a bit of both, though I find it is always nice that if and when I do review a short one, that the author does stick around (as more often than not, the short fics are done by people who are new here). Haven't read any in a while... Actually going to Latin exam soon.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Haha, thanks :) (It is one of my better subjects though too, at least whilst taking the bus I can study a bit).

Positive reinforcement and myself are like distance relatives... I hardly know anything about it... X_x

Perseverance and hard work is what I preach... but have yet to practice it :S

I don't think there has been one assignment this semester that I didn't complete the night before...

I wonder what I can do about that... Though I realize it is all me in this case... Its not like some stupid self help book will help XD

Haruka of Hoenn

Rolling writer
Years
I'd have to say both. Long fics give a lot of room for character development and plot, but short fics can be just as powerful.

She would never be the same again :P
And thanks to everyone who gave me help on my idea. I'll be developing it more soon, but now I have a solid idea of what the plot should be like.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
I wonder what I can do about that... Though I realize it is all me in this case... Its not like some stupid self help book will help XD
Self help books help the writer get money. While I'm not against some self help books, I do realise that some require perseverance that most people aren't ready to give. Heck, most of the things stated in self-help books could be figured out by yourself if you worked hard enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back