• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feign

Clain
Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    I've always said "first come, first served." Don't know about the rest though. XD
    I think it's due to the way you say it. It just rolls easily of your tongue without the 'd'.

Very much so. :D

There are some other phrases, that I can't remember off hand, where a person might say in instead of and, but like above, this all has to do with pronunciation and saying it so regularly and fast.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • Here in NZ, we say 'First in, first served.' And because of all this talk of proverbs etc, I have a banner on the page for the Confucius Institute. I'm tempted to follow the link just for the lolz.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Gah! I remembered another one:

Some people might think it is "In this day in age" when it actually is "in this day and age".

Sorry, that's the only one I can recall at this time :P There must be some more info on this somewhere on the internet.

EDIT: Google brings up 4,340,000 results for the misuse of the idiom. XD

The correct format brings up 27,600,000.

Last edited:

Misheard Whisper

Years
  • Don't forget 'I could care less' when you really mean 'couldn't'.

And people who say 'alot'. It's not a freaking word!

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Don't forget 'I could care less' when you really mean 'couldn't'.

And people who say 'alot'. It's not a freaking word!

Haha yeah I don't use the 'I could[n't] care less' to begin with, but I do say "a lot" a lot. XD Well at least in real life.

Also, while this one would seem quite obvious, the hypothesized reason as to why we use "apostrophe s" ('s) as part of the possessive is because back in the day, people might have found it repetitious (this is because a stem nouns at the time, were likened to the "es" ending of possessives since they consisted something like 80% of the English language at the time, so it was a natural move in a sense). So in a sense the apostrophe is use to replace the e (much like other words where the apostrophe replaces the v for never in a more poetic usage).

SkyBlue

I'm in love...with Ash!
    Years
  • I feel like a slave to the bold topics!! WAAAHHH!

Which of these two fanfic types do you prefer: short and intense or long and detailed?

Short and intense if I don't have enough time. My brain likes one-shots, so I'm a one-shot artist. Three here on PC and many more still not on the 'Net.

Long and detailed if I've got LOTS of time on my hands. I'd write my ideas in my notebook first (pink and fluffy, WHEEEE!!), then turn them into a multi-chapped story.

Do you prefer to review long fics where the author makes one or two mistakes and a logical error, or do you prefer to review short fics where it feels as though the author is out to break every rule in the English Language?

I'll review anything THAT IS NOT BAD, as in, "Okay, that character's a Mary-Sue. Hey, that guy's OOC! Alright, this ain't true to the spirit of the show! WHO THE HECK WROTE THIS PIECE OF CRUD?!" I'll review anything as long as it isn't like that.

How does your mood when writing affect developments in your story? Do you let it? And if you do, what influences said mood? Do you listen to your favourite music to brighten your mood, or what?

Sometimes it doesn't affect me, other times it does. It helps to listen to music to set moods, not just to brighten it. And for the third question, music helps me write a particular mood. Sometimes I keep playing the same song OVER AND OVER so I can write a whole story.

What historical figure would you compare your fic character too? Historical can be anyone famous by the way.

Do the Clone High characters count? They ARE the clones of famous people.

J/K!! Anyway, I'd compare Ash to Romeo and Dianne to Juliet, except they got their happy ending. That work?

Misheard Whisper

Years
  • I don't do it, ever.

It made me so happy when I got an English textbook that had it on the 'commonly misspelled words' list. All the other entries were just words that people spelled wrong; 'alot' was a unique entry, and it made me happy that someone, somewhere, got as pissed with it as I do.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • What historical figure would you compare your fic character too? Historical can be anyone famous by the way.
    I would compare Lisa to Robert C. Hazard, Jr. He was CEO of Quality Inns International/Choice Hotels from 1980-1996 and was responsible for greatly expanding the chain and introducing sister brands like Comfort and Sleep. I compare the two because both are awesome in ways I cannot begin to comprehend.

New bold topic:
    Wouldn't your fan-fic characters really rather have a Buick? (This is a question about their preferred mode of transportation, BTW)
    Lisa does, in fact, have a Buick - a 1989 Electra Estate Wagon. It complements her first car, an '89 Chevrolet Caprice Classic LS Brougham, quite nicely. She has the wagon for carrying big loads, and the Caprice Classic for nights out on the town.

Misheard Whisper

Years
  • Wouldn't your fan-fic characters really rather have a Buick? (This is a question about their preferred mode of transportation, BTW)
    Jerry seems to have a penchant for old, rusty ships that everybody else is too scared to go on because they're about to be put out of commission because they're so goddamn old and rusty. I guess it extends to cars etc as well. That taxi certainly didn't smell too good.

Bay

Years
  • Wouldn't your fan-fic characters really rather have a Buick? (This is a question about their preferred mode of transportation, BTW)
    Nope because they are not into luxury cars that much. D: Jenny would like a Crown Victoria, though. :P

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • Name change! Woo! Begone stalkers... D:

Wouldn't your fan-fic characters really rather have a Buick? (This is a question about their preferred mode of transportation, BTW)
    In the new TCNG which I'm currently writing, Kana actually owns a BMW X5 xDrive 48i. There's a logical explanation for this so she doesn't become a Mary Sue. It's not her direct family that's rich, rather it's her uncle.

Phaiel on the other hand, isn't much into cars and would rather prefer a plane. An Embraer Phenom 300 to be exact. I wouldn't mind it either. XD

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    lol not so much a name change mind you :P XD

I'm still thinking of my own, but not as hard I guess...

Haz

Haz ya seen my hack?
    Years

Shayla got some sort of dirt bike off Esme and Carlisle for her first Christmas with them but being a vampire, she only uses it to get to go to-and-from school :P.

Oh and while we're on the subject of Shayla, I want someone to take a look at this: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=5394917#post5394917 . I fear my Shayla is turning into a MS. Eek! XD

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Ahhh!

*cries in the corner*

Anywho... I had sort of planned to continue writing yesterday, but since PC was down (which shouldn't affect my writing to begin with) I didn't write at all...

I still kept the Mizan part because I just like that name and it's an anagram of my IRL name. XD

ah I see XD

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • Ahhh!

*cries in the corner*

Anywho... I had sort of planned to continue writing yesterday, but since PC was down (which shouldn't affect my writing to begin with) I didn't write at all...
    I can't begin to remember how many times that has happened to me. It's become more frequent lately.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • 1. That doesn't count - if it was a convo, you didn't write it all yourself, and
    2. What is the PC blog character limit? *pulls out calculator, types in '9 x' and waits*

I still typed about half of it and it's more than twice as long as that post so it does count.

And the character limit is...a lot, but the word count put it at 8000-something words, and half of that is still 4000 so THERE.

Happens to me all the time. I spent the afternoon punching refresh instead. Good times. :D

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • *gets toasted*

Ooh whatcha say? Oh that you only meant well? Well of course you did. Ooh whatcha say? Mmm that it's all for the best? Of course it is. Ooh whatcha say? Ooh that it's just what we need? You decided this. Ooh whatcha say? Ooh what did she say?

*Shot for forgetfulness*

Ooh whatcha say? Oh that you only meant well? Well of course you did. Ooh whatcha say? Mmm that it's all for the best? Of course it is. Ooh whatcha say? Ooh that it's just what we need? You decided this. Ooh whatcha say? Ooh what did she say?

I believe you asked this before. Latias, Latios, and the R9WM are clearly superior modes of transportation. There's also no gas stations in the past or future.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back