• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    I sincerely hate not being able to say what I want to say.

At any rate:

What do you think of self-inserts in fics? An Author-Avatar if you will.
    Pretty much what Dagzar said. If it's obvious, then I don't like it. It's annoying, and really isn't necessary. The only place where I feel it would make sense to have an author-avatar would be a parody fic.

That's if the "author-avatar" is of the "let's break the fourth wall and not be serious" variety. Since there are self-inserts out there that I particularly enjoy.

If the character is well-developed and meshes well with the fic's world, then I don't really care.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years

If I can't tell, and if they're not being given the Sue/Stu treatment, I don't mind. Besides, it's almost inevitable that some aspect of the author will be present on their characters. It's all in how they're handled.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Soooo I just bought a Sony ereader today, and I've been downloading a few books already (the classics, as they are free), I might move to ones that I have to pay for, once I know ones that I really want, but I love the screen and touch part of it already. Plus I can listen to music (with built in head jack), and can look at images in black and white XD

EDIT: Okay I lied, I got 'The Road' XD it was only $8.50 though, so it's like a subway meal :P

Last edited:

Bay

Years
    Before I begin...I HAZ A NEW AVATAR TOO! PARTY HARD! :p

*coughs*

Anyways, like a few others said, it can't be unavoidable to give a bit of yourself to some of your characters. But if a self insert is obvious, then I'm uncomfortable because it's moreso the author trying to fulfill his/her wishes. Only exception would be if the story is a comedy/parody. Even then, the comedy/parody has to be done right for me to like the story and self-insert.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years

Eh, it depends on how it's done, really. If they blend in with the world around them and aren't Sues/Stus, it should be fine.

Like Ariadne Oliver. Hilarious.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
    Oh you guys. Continuing on with the lounge during my ten day absence. Psh.

I actually wrote three or so sentences this morning of my next E.C. chapter, and I've been yelled at to work on Mastermind, so I think I'll allot a bit of my twelve-hour-per-day free time to putting words on paper again. I wonder how many times I've said something to that effect. Probably enough times to rival the length of a fic chapter.

Oh, and this is weird. I was looking through my notebook, and the first page was notes for chapter 22 of the E.C. I'm writing chapter 25 now. I can't even remember buying that notebook, it was so long ago.

Oh yeah, and remind me that one of my characters gets eaten. If I ask what I was supposed to remember, that's it.

I haven't slept in probably two days, also.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
    Before I begin...I HAZ A NEW AVATAR TOO! PARTY HARD! :p
    I went through three avatars in two days before settling on this one. XD

Who likes my avatar? XD

Anyway, back to the business of the monopoly of bold topics, as solovino put it,
    What Pokemon would you most likely use to represent yourself in any piece of fiction? Note, this is not what your favorite Pokemon is, rather it's how you personify yourself in this form.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    What Pokemon would you most likely use to represent yourself in any piece of fiction? Note, this is not what your favorite Pokemon is, rather it's how you personify yourself in this form.

Arceus. In whatever coloration looks the most JAWSOME EVER!

Dark-type. :<

remind me that one of my characters gets eaten.
    *is intrigued*

DGexe

Taunter
    Years

Ahm... AHM... ._. I hope I'm not entering overrated territory, but I guess either Eevee or Meowth. Something small and fluffy with a good heart and intentions, but they aren't always put to the best of uses. :U *crappy self analysis*

Dagzar

The Dreamer
    Years
    After around ten minutes of research and thought, I finally narrowed my Pokemon down to Tangela. Like me, it's hair always gets caught in things and is good at hiding its face with it. It's also a grass-type and grass-types are supposedly shy (don't ask me where I got that from, it's just something I think). Though, I'd like to give shout outs to Slakoth and Slowpoke, for being my second and third choice respectively.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013

The obvious choice would be 'Giratina', but since she doesn't have a canon personality to speak of except for a protectiveness for the Reverse World, I don't know if that would be the best answer. The only one I can think of in my tired state right now would be Absol, somebody who means well but due to their uncanny ability to be blamed for things and general air of unpleasantness doesn't often venture out of their, ahem, 'cave' very much. It's lame and angsty, yeah. I know. xD

Mika

もえじゃないも
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2013

Minun. ^^; I'm often considered a loser or a reject irl just like Minun is considered crap tier. My stats aren't great and there are probably better electric rodents out there but I have heart and I grow on you. I'm often overlooked and I don't believe in myself, that is, unless you get out my plusle friend and then together we'll own your face in. n_n

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years

An Abra.

Totally useless in battle and has great (but utterly unused) Sp. Att (INT!)

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023

I'll go with two, for two different reasons:

Machamp: this pokemon's name closely resembles my own when chopping a bit of my first and last name, without having to rearrange the letters either.

Gengar: I'm pretty much like a ghost at times, and even play tricks on people (no actual tricks per se, but the idea of it), plus like a metaphor for being hidden, so too do I pretty much hide X_x

--------

By the by, if there is anyone good with poetry, can anyone recall a small book of poetry by a relatively famous author (I think it was), where the book was entirely about monsters. The one poem I remember was about a boggart stealing children in school yards, and it goes on pretty grisly about the boggart snapping backs and breaking bones. Thanks. XD

Last edited:

Wolfwhispers

Trainers for Life
    Years

Ironically, I believe my favorite pokemon represents myself very well, and that is why I chose him. Charmeleon would be best to represent myself because like a Charmeleon, I am quick to anger and would love nothing more than to get into a fight. I'm dead serious, on really crappy days I'm itching for a fight, and since I'm a girl, although I'll use fists, I won't say no to my nails, much like the fire lizard.

However, on my lazy days I'm more like a Snorlax. You can't do anything to make me get off my butt. :P

Bay

Years
    Everyone thinks I'm a Bayleef. :x But yeah, I actually associate myself with that Pokemon because I always thought of the Pokemon as playful but gets serious when the right time comes. I also love nature and being in the outdoors, which I always thought the Pokemon to be like that.

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2023
    It's been awhile.

Grovyle. In all complete honesty. It's partly the reason why Grovyle is my favourite pokemon. ...Man that sounded egotistical, didn't it? xD Well, I'm defiant when there's cause for it. I'm calm, collected, agile, a good sprinter, stubborn, determined, despite being a bit standoffish I care about what's right, self-sacrificing sometimes, I enjoy fights. ...As you can see I've thought about this quite a bit. xD

I have a question. How do I get the "[Pokemon]" tag in front of my fic title?

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    If the story has already been posted (or was a much older one, cause that happens too), then yeah a mod can change it, otherwise, there is a drop down menu when you initially post the story.

So, should I read my ereader, do my essay, or write my fic?

I like how my priority of such doesn't seem to be an issue X_x

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
    If the story has already been posted (or was a much older one, cause that happens too), then yeah a mod can change it, otherwise, there is a drop down menu when you initially post the story.

So, should I read my ereader, do my essay, or write my fic?

I like how my priority of such doesn't seem to be an issue X_x
    Lol, when's your essay due?

If it's not soon, I'd suggest your fic. Many a time have I been distracted from writing my fic into reading books. XD

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back