• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bay

Years
  • Sorry to backtrack a bit, but...

If only Bay had kept on top of our orgy list.
    XD;

Seriously though, it seems we keep having members come and go here, so it's not easy keeping track of the list. D: I can try another redux version though if any of you guys want. The only thing though if most, if not all, must help me on this. XD;

Haha, nice pic there Buoysel! And Astinus, the way you described a Caterpie...gave me dirty thoughts now. D: *gets shot*

Speaking of flamethrowers, in SS it's taking forever for my Vulpix to level up and learn Flamethrower. >.>

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • Seriously though, it seems we keep having members come and go here, so it's not easy keeping track of the list. D: I can try another redux version though if any of you guys want. The only thing though if most, if not all, must help me on this. XD;
    I'm willing since I wasn't on the last one. XP

*bold topic to relieve monotony*
    How much research do you put into your fiction?

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    And Astinus, the way you described a Caterpie...gave me dirty thoughts now. D: *gets shot*

Speaking of flamethrowers, in SS it's taking forever for my Vulpix to level up and learn Flamethrower. >.>
    FFFFFFFF... *goes and rereads* Oh. I guess it does. Bad Bay.

My Flaaffy takes forever to level up as well. I just shoved him into the PokeWalker and traveled around work. That's the only way I can raise him, since he can't take out any Pokemon he battles.

My Raticate, on the other hand...

A lot, maybe? I seem to always have a tab/book open by me when writing so I can look things up.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Gawd, Zubat is annoying to level up. Thank goodness it's easier than it was 8 years ago.

>_>

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. =D

I make it up on the spot.

Well, the parts that I can get away with, at least.

Perri Lightfoot

Let's give it a go!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2022
    PPG, I think I've seen you somewhere before, but I don't know where. Anyway, welcome.

Your screen name is really familiar...hmm...I think I've got it! You're one of Rexhunter's friends on Deviantart, aren't you? I'm pretty sure that's where I'm remembering you from XD

Anyway, thanks to everyone for their warm and friendly welcomes! :) *glomps Bay in return* I think I'm really going to like hanging around here...

(For the sake of my sanity, I am going to limit the discussion in my answer to Paws for Alarm, since it's the only fic I have posted here. ^^' ) ...A lot. XD I'm a real stickler for verisimilitude in my work and strive to fill my writing with as many realistic details as possible, even when the fic's general premise may be rather fantastical. For instance, in Paws for Alarm I envision Johto and Kanto as being in the same geographical location as the Kanto and Kansai regions of Japan are in our world. I studied up on the climate of this area to make sure it would be acceptable to have snow falling and whether this snow ever fell in enough quantity to make travel difficult for a pichu or pikachu; and I also researched the native trees, flowers and grasses to make sure that all descriptions would be botanically correct (for instance, the chestnut trees we know in the West have rough, spiky conkers; while the native chestnut has a smooth conker - even though the tree in question only appeared in the fic for about a page or so; depicting its conkers as smooth was more than a throwaway reference to me - it was world-building! =D ). I also wanted to depict the 'chus and other wild pokémon in the story not as sweet, friendly and humanized, but as mainly instinct-driven animals with natural animal behaviors; and to this effect I read extensively about real-life rodents to create a sort of composite of traits that would define "pikachu."

When I research and I write, I realize, of course, that few people (if any) will notice or even care that the wild landscape in the fic is dotted with carpet bugle, chickweed, and hakonechola for a reason; or that chestnut conkers are smooth rather than spiky; or that I had to "check" first before I had any snow start falling; or that what I decided upon as the limitations of a pikachu's sense of vision were based upon the limitations of tree squirrel vision. But even if readers might not notice or care, it means a lot to me that the details are there. It helps establish my own personal vision of the Pokemon universe, and also, in a way, makes it a little more relatable. :) That's my two cents, anyway. XD

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • ...A lot. XD I'm a real stickler for verisimilitude in my work and strive to fill my writing with as many realistic details as possible, even when the fic's general premise may be rather fantastical.

I read your story on here, it shows, believe me it shows.

Too much, I will got to look something up on Bulbapedia and before I know it 3 or 4 hours have gone by and I never made it back to my word document. T_T I get distracted to easy but I want my fic to be as realistic as it can be. Between that and my indecisiveness, its a miracle I even get a page or two typed at all.

Bay

Years
  • How much research do you put into your fiction?
    For NE, a lot. I first look at both anime and game canon and see which stuff and events I want to put and how I'll make the story fit within the canon. However, back then in the anime not too much progress is made, so for certain locations and events I had to go for game canon for the time being. As for other things like police reports and such, I just need the basics of it really, so I would ask my dad (he knows quite a bit about how the police system works) and online. Heck, I even research how fatal certain injuries like gunshot wounds are, so I go research on that.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • Your screen name is really familiar...hmm...I think I've got it! You're one of Rexhunter's friends on Deviantart, aren't you? I'm pretty sure that's where I'm remembering you from XD

Oh, right! You're the one with the Plusle icon. Small world, I guess. XD

I don't really know if it can be counted as "research," but a lot of material from the Chronicles is drawn from years and years of me being obsessed with medieval times. Aside from that, I actually do quite a bit of information hunting, such as my recent fascination with early guns and whether or not they'd be around during the time my fic takes place. I decided against it, but at one point I was considering an assassin character with a matchlock rifle.

Let's not even go into my long-running struggle with naming Lati limbs.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • Yeah, the Lati limbs. Did we ever got to solve that one? (I should know...)

Oh and also hi, people.

Buoysel said:
    Plot bunny in the form of art
    And there's a reason why I love this place! :D
    The critter looks cute. The flamethrower only adds to it, somehow.

I guess a bit too much. For Sixth I had to go to Bulbapedia and Encyclopedia Britannica (which got me the idea for an apparent "kiss"). I also spent like three night checking the movelists so that Lileep's would seem plausible. It happens to me kinda what happens to Buoysel, going off for research and never actually coming back to write, or something like that.

Buoysel said:
    Too much, I will got to look something up on Bulbapedia and before I know it 3 or 4 hours have gone by and I never made it back to my word document. T_T I get distracted to easy but I want my fic to be as realistic as it can be. Between that and my indecisiveness, its a miracle I even get a page or two typed at all.

Yes, something like that. Actually, the other story I was planning at the beginning of this year was about a group of trainers after a big earthquake, but had left it on the planning desk because I just couldn't grasp the character's mindset or the setting would be. Since the earthquake actually hit I've been writing a bit lot more* into the design stage (won't be releasing here yet because I'm writing it in Spanish to get more from the unfiltered mind). And since I'm not happy with the canon movelists but don't want to go essentially discarding them and asspulling moves myself I've decided to try and "import" some of the TCG moves into the "normal" Pokémon world.

* I'm assuming of course that wasn't a sort of calling out to me for being such a procrastinator.

I'm still stuck however on how big a disaster has to be to be believable in a Pokémon world. Earthquake in anime battles seems to be not higher than a V Mercalli Scale, but we're talking about a place where your everyday Geodude can Earthquake eight to ten times in a row, it wouldn't be that strong. However I aim towards something that instantly rewrites the yearly schedule of significant part of the population of a region, so I am leaning towards a IX Mercalli Scale or higher. And to make it work I have to find a way to believably prevent eg.: Absol from giving (enough) warning. Disaster management has to be a completely different issue there than here, after all.

Bottom line: maybe I research too much and write too little. Anyone with a suggestion to help with that?

Bay said:
    And Astinus, the way you described a Caterpie...gave me dirty thoughts now. D: *gets shot*
    Caterpie evolves into Metapod!
    Metapod uses Harden!
    *is repeatedly shot with a .45*

On another news, HG&SS got to my country. I'm almost happy now. Oh, and a Skype account as well, for then we do the Insanity Cabal thing.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    In the words of almost everyone else here: a lot. Everything concerning canon is researched at length, especially characters - I must read up on the Bulbapedia article, risk my computer security to read the manga, find all the episodes concerning that aspect on YouTube... you get the point. If it's canon and there are things that need to be researched, I will definitely be one to do it. Movepools are checked and re-checked to make sure the estimated level is appropriate for the Pokémon in question, and everything I find out but end up not needing is usually poked fun of. Especially the Delta Pokémon; all sorts of cards had to be observed to get just the right mutations for the Pokémon themselves, and in a lot of cases (such as Hikaru's Fearow) I just get lazy and take the cards themselves to use in the story.

Buoysel

Years
  • Ye
    And there's a reason why I love this place! :D
    The critter looks cute. The flamethrower only adds to it, somehow.
    I'll work on it some more soon I hope >.>
    I'm still stuck however on how big a disaster has to be to be believable in a Pokémon world. Earthquake in anime battles seems to be not higher than a V Mercalli Scale, but we're talking about a place where your everyday Geodude can Earthquake eight to ten times in a row, it wouldn't be that strong. However I aim towards something that instantly rewrites the yearly schedule of significant part of the population of a region, so I am leaning towards a IX Mercalli Scale or higher. And to make it work I have to find a way to believably prevent eg.: Absol from giving (enough) warning. Disaster management has to be a completely different issue there than here, after all.
    Being on an emergency response team (seriously I am), I can tell you that the best way to describe several hours after a disaster. Total and utter chaos.
    Bottom line: maybe I research too much and write too little. Anyone with a suggestion to help with that?
    Oh god I hope someone has an answer to this.

Caterpie evolves into Metapod!
    Metapod uses Harden!
    *is repeatedly shot with a .45*
    My reaction at first.

Then.

XD

Only you Solovino, only you.....

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Quite a bit. Most of my writing is inspired by other works I've read, so I like to be well-read enough to draw a fair amount of inspiration and experience from. I'm particularly fascinated by history, sociology, religion, mythology, and psychology. I own quite a few books on Egyptian mythology, as well as general mythology and religion. Some papers hardcopy and digital on sociology and psychology, and of course plenty of encyclopedias and dictionaries (as well as Latin-to-English/English-to-Latin dictionary and baby names books for root words and origins). I like to have a lot to draw from in creating realistic worlds and enjoyable characters. It's all just part of the process.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
    Lol, research. Not much at all, really. The most I really do is for Pokemon world geography, ie I go to Sunyshore (as in physically pick up my copy of Platinum and Fly there) and see what landmarks I can include, how the solar panel roads go, et cetera. Occasionally, I'll just go to Bulbapedia and flick up a Route or two to see what kinds of random encounters my characters might have, and so on and so forth. I rarely do much 'research', per se, to be honest. I like to wing it based on my years of watching the anime/reading the manga/playing the games/randomly surfing Bulbapedia for lack of a better thing to do of an afternoon.

So yeah.

Buoysel

Years

The reason I had to go buy, and play Soul Silver was to...uh... research about Johto. It has nothing to do with Lugia, Suicune, or Typhlosion. Sacrifices had to be made in the name of Fan Fiction.

King!

better
    Years
  • Well...oh wow. I feel bad because (almost) everyone here has massive posts and I just have one little question. Would a Pokemon fic where the main character is gay be allowed?

Buoysel

Years
  • Well...oh wow. I feel bad because (almost) everyone here has massive posts and I just have one little question. Would a Pokemon fic where the main character is gay be allowed?

I don't see why not, then again it all depends on how you do the story. If your over the top annoying with the character then it might get old quick for some people and you will loose readers. If its just a quirk of there personality then thats fine I would think. (JUST not a fic where the main character is a Pokemon who is thinking about sex, those type of fics belong else where.)

I've been pondering about the height of Pokemon for a while. I know that the dex entries state how tall they are. And thats find and dandy for Pokemon who are solely bipedal (who are measured by how high their head is off the ground) or quadpedal (who I would guess are measured about like dogs are measured, at the shoulder), but what about Pokemon who switch out? Buizel for example walks on two legs, but runs on all four, the same goes for Pikachu. But then you have Pokemon like Quilava who walk and run on all four, but sometimes stand up, Are they 2'11" while on all four or while standing on hind legs? *headdesk*

Do you people see what happens when I do research?

On a side note, I got the day off and am going to attempt to catch up on fic house work.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Yeah, that would be excruciatingly bad if a gay character wasn't allowed... PC is very tolerant. In fact I could probably write a story about a murderer no problem... Even a love story is fine, as long as no explict content of sexual encounters were written out (which is the same for a hetreosexual relationship). No one wants to read about a story about sex on a pokemon forum.

I had to get info on aura from mostly the movie and I had to look up stuff in terms of that video game (I think it was on gamecube), dealing with Dark Aura.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Quite a bit of research on hotel chains and cars they haven't built in 15 years or more went into my fic. Also, a lot of testing random, 14-digit numbers to determine if they were prime numbers or not XD

As well as the obligatory, "Can Pokemon X learn attack Y". Not so much the geography of Pokemon regions because mine takes place in a self-made region, as well as Anderson and Pickens counties in South Carolina.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Well...oh wow. I feel bad because (almost) everyone here has massive posts and I just have one little question. Would a Pokemon fic where the main character is gay be allowed?
    Yes.

And it's just like Buoysel and Feign said. So long as there's no sex involved, then there's no problem. If anyone does give you a problem, then let me know right away so I can take care of it.

@Bouysel: That's actually a really good question. I'd go with that's their height standing, especially when looking at Quilava, since it has legs on the short side. That's how I work things out in my fics.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    I think in making an IP, finding inconsistencies is common... Which is fun and interesting too actually, but sometimes frustrating for us writers.

Stargate has that problem with the whole dialing address thingy.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back