• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiya Quackform

Her High Quackiness
    Years
    Review of Chapter 1 of Hoenn Mirror World

Oh, man, Nekomajo, I am so sorry for how long this has taken! I haven't even read it all yet! But, here's some overall opinions on chapter 1 of Hoenn Mirror World.

I love the originality! Originality scores big with me, since it's so rare nowadays. I haven't seen anything else quite like it. Overall, so far the story's good. It's just your writing technique that needs help.

Your major flaw is wordiness. Because you're used to writing in script
    format, I'm sure the reason is simply inexperience. It is obvious that you're familiar witht the mantra "show, don't tell." Your problem is that you don't know where to show and where to tell. You show us her showering and dressing. Why would we want to read a paragraph about that? In this case, tell us in a quick and painless sentence--if you need to tell us at all!

The first four pages are so old and have been done literally thousands of
    times before. That, with or without you interest-piquing prelude, would
    have made me stop reading your fic if I hadn't been asked.

Get to the point.

Heck, you could basically delete everything up to "Mariah was in her room
    to gather her belongings . . ."! Even then much of what you have after
    this could be deleted or summed up and it would all flow much better into
    the action.

You also do this a lot:
    "________ said to his/her ________"
    and
    "________ said/called/yelled/shrieked in _____."

Don't! Do not be afraid to write "said." Less is more! You really
    should be able to understand the tone of the character's voice by their
    words, not by what you say their tone is. You could throw in "yelled," "asked" or "shrieked" instead of "said" on occasion, but don't go overboard.

When Mariah meets her mirror image, you have a wonderful opportunity to show her character, and I think you didn't do as much as you could have. Both of them accept it all so quickly. It's a bit odd in my opinion. Sure you say Mariah is astounded, but she doesn't act like it. So far there's little to no fear or uncertainty. And Mirror Mariah seems to be nothing more than a guiding voice, not a character.

In the Treecko/Poochyena battle, why didn't Poochyena get out of the way of the plummeting Treecko? I'd think they'd do that on instinct alone.

There's a lot of tense switching. You've really got to watch that. I'd suggest that you find a regular beta reader to help you out.

Stop with the "once," when," and "then's." (Yes, that's apostraphe S. I looked it up this morning.) They stop flow and distract, excpecially in action scenes when you're trying to show speed of movement and action. Also stop with the "very's" and "extremely's." You don't need them when you use strong words. For instance, instead of writing "very angry," go with "enraged."

But I really will read more of this, once I got to the action I got interested. (I've just got a really long reading list.) Keep it up, I look forward to seeing your writing progress!

(I don't give scores.)

Last edited:

Aiya Quackform

Her High Quackiness
    Years
    Review of Chapter 1 of Hoenn Mirror World

Oh, man, Nekomajo, I am so sorry how long this has taken! I haven't even read it all yet! But, here's some overall opinions on chapter 1 one of Hoenn Mirror World.

I love the originality! Originality scores big with me, since it's so rare nowadays. I haven't seen anything else quite like it. Overall, so far the story's good. It's just your writing techniques that need help.

Your major flaw is wordiness. Because you're used to writing in script

format, I'm sure the reason is simply inexperience.

It is obvious that you're familiar witht the mantra "show, don't tell."

Your problem is that you don't know where to show and where to tell. You

show us her showering and dressing. Why would we want to read a paragraph

about that? In this case, tell us in a quick and painless

sentence--if you need to tell us at all!

The first four pages are so old and have been done literally thousands of

times before. That, with or without you interest-piquing prelude, would

have made me stop reading your fic if I hadn't been asked.

Get to the point.

the action.

You also do this a lot:
    and

words, not by what you say their tone is. You could throw in "yelled," "asked" or "shrieked" instead of "said" on occasion, but don't go overboard.

When Mariah meets her mirror image, you have a wonderful opportunity to show her character, and I think you didn't do as much as you could have. Both of them accept it all so quickly. It's a bit odd in my opinion. Sure you say Mariah is astounded, but she doesn't act like it. So far there's little to no fear or uncertainty. And Mirror Mariah seems to be nothing more than a guiding voice, not a character.

In the Treecko/Poochyena battle, why didn't Poochyena get out of the way of the plummeting Treecko? I'd think they'd do that on instinct alone.

There's a lot of tense switching. You've really got to watch that. I'd suggest that you find a regular beta reader to help you out.

Stop with the "once," when," and "then's." (Yes, that's apostraphe S. I looked it up this morning.) They stop flow and distract, excpecially in action scenes when you're trying to show speed of movement and action. Also stop with the "very's" and "extremely's." You don't need them when you use strong words. For instance, instead of writing "very angry," go with "enraged."

But I really will read more of this, once I got to the action I got interested. (I've just got a really long reading list.) Keep it up, I look forward to seeing your writing progress!

(I don't give scores.)

Strawberry Delcatty

Neko daisuki-na no nya!
    Years
    Uh... just to point it out, you've double posted. :P
    Aiya Quackform said:
    Oh, man, Nekomajo, I am so sorry for how long this has taken! I haven't even read it all yet!
    It's okay. I was getting kind of worried though.

Aiya Quackform said:
    I love the originality! Originality scores big with me, since it's so rare nowadays. I haven't seen anything else quite like it. Overall, so far the story's good.
    That always appears to be one of my strongest points.

Aiya Quackform said:
    Your major flaw is wordiness. Because you're used to writing in script format, I'm sure the reason is simply inexperience. It is obvious that you're familiar with the mantra "show, don't tell." Your problem is that you don't know where to show and where to tell. You show us her showering and dressing. Why would we want to read a paragraph about that? In this case, tell us in a quick and painless sentence--if you need to tell us at all!
    I was trying to fix my description problem. The main complaint is that I don't have enough description, so I try to describe whenever I could.

Aiya Quackform said:
    The first four pages are so old and have been done literally thousands of times before. That, with or without you interest-piquing prelude, would have made me stop reading your fic if I hadn't been asked.

Get to the point.

the action.
    Well, the "waking up" happens a LOT in magical girl anime. :\
    Also, how would I explain how Mariah got her first Pokemon if I deleted everything up to that point?

Aiya Quackform said:
    You also do this a lot:
    and

I'm always been told that the word "said" should be avoided at all costs. Even the FAQ said so:

Basic Pokemon Writing FAQ said:
    Don?t use ?said? without adverbs. ?Said? is the most boring verb in any Fanfiction. Use adverbs to help out, or use alternative words like commented, asked, exclaimed and so on.
    I've read that FAQ over a hundred times, but I still can't seem to handle tone...

Aiya Quackform said:
    Accept it so quickly? I thought I totally avoided that. A reviewer said that I had Mariah acting rather unrealistically in the scripted version, so I thought I avoided that problem in the revision.

Aiya Quackform said:
    That never came to me.

Aiya Quackform said:
    Tense switching? I thought that problem was taken care of as well...

Aiya Quackform said:
    I never saw that as a problem, but if you say so...

Aiya Quackform said:
    Thanks. I'm REALLY hoping that the revision would be enough to put the scripted version to shame, but I seem to have a long way to go...

Yamato-san

Banned
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Feb 15, 2012
    I'm the one who told you Mariah's reaction was too unrealistic in that scene. However, I didn't intend for you to try avoiding it all together. I just think you should just improve on the scene that's there so, you know, the reaction CAN be more realistic. And just why are you trying to put your script to shame? I've said it a million times before, but I find script, no matter how good or bad the story is, several times more convenient and plain easy to read (as well as write in my case) than narrative (because I like direct dialogue rather than reading paragraphs worth of symbolism to describe just one scene). Now, I find it odd that I'm supposedly the only one who can do that correctly, but your scripting I found was still halfway decent and simple to read and understand nontheless. Your scripting's really not that much of a problem, it's your word usage as well as the way your execute the story itself. So I'll ask again, what do you have against the script format that you're so hellbent on putting it to shame?

Anyway, I said this on my thread, but I'll say it in this thread so more people can see it.....

To all readers,

Recently, I've been thinking of making a few tweaks to the storyline that I very recently thought up, however, I don't know if I'm going in the right direction with them or not. Of course, I can't post my ideas here at risk of spoiling, so I'm making this offer. This Sunday (5/14/05) at noon, American Pacific time (GMT -8:00), meet me on an AIM chat room that I will title "orochi" (I like snakes, so sue me). It is here that I'll discuss my plans and you can give me your opinions there. Just remember, you come at your own risk of having major spoilers brought upon you. Also, do not consider plagiarizing whatever I haven't posted yet, for there are bound to be people against plagiarizing in the chat room that can back me up if you try to pull anything like that. I hope to see some of you there.

-ヤマトさん​

Flatulus

God of Wind
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Nov 17, 2005
    ... I'm sorry to everyone who likes my fic but I've been so distracted lately and have been too late on my updates. I blame it on the lack of motivation of those who read my fic...

Lucky for those who read it I could never actually give up writing it, and have added chapter 9... Bad new is that I haven't fixed up a certain lack of details of a certain event in chapter one, and those people who are correcting grammer mistakes and stuff only have reached chapter three.

Strawberry Delcatty

Neko daisuki-na no nya!
    Years
    Yamato-san said:
    I'm the one who told you Mariah's reaction was too unrealistic in that scene. However, I didn't intend for you to try avoiding it all together. I just think you should just improve on the scene that's there so, you know, the reaction CAN be more realistic. And just why are you trying to put your script to shame? I've said it a million times before, but I find script, no matter how good or bad the story is, several times more convenient and plain easy to read (as well as write in my case) than narrative (because I like direct dialogue rather than reading paragraphs worth of symbolism to describe just one scene). Now, I find it odd that I'm supposedly the only one who can do that correctly, but your scripting I found was still halfway decent and simple to read and understand nontheless. Your scripting's really not that much of a problem, it's your word usage as well as the way your execute the story itself. So I'll ask again, what do you have against the script format that you're so hellbent on putting it to shame?
    You said it yourself: you're the only one who can write a script properly. Even though mine is second-best to yours (according to the majority here), I really felt that I'm better off writing narratives.

Simply put, I've realized that I'm not cut out for writing scripts.

Aiya Quackform

Her High Quackiness
    Years
    Nekomajo Asunya said:
    I was trying to fix my description problem. The main complaint is that I don't have enough description, so I try to describe whenever I could.
    Like I said, it can be difficult to learn where to show and where to tell. Basically, ask yourself, will my reader want to read this?

Well, the "waking up" happens a LOT in magical girl anime. :\
    Also, how would I explain how Mariah got her first Pokemon if I deleted everything up to that point?
    You could a variation of this lovely: "Mariah had recieved her first Pokemon today. A Treecko from Professor Elm."

I'm always been told that the word "said" should be avoided at all costs. Even the FAQ said so.
    Let's see, how can I put this delicately? *ponders a moment* The FAQ is wrong. This is not my opinion. Read a book on writing. A good one is "The 38 Most Common Fiction Writing Mistakes: (And How To Avoid Them.)" There is even a chapter entitled: "Don't Be Afraid To Say 'Said'"! Of course you don't want to bore your writer with nothing but "said," but don't distract with useless adjectives.

Accept it so quickly? I thought I totally avoided that. A reviewer said that I had Mariah acting rather unrealistically in the scripted version, so I thought I avoided that problem in the revision.
    Well, if I met a mirror image of me and was transported a mirror universe, I would totally wig out. I'd be worried about getting home, primarily. I just didn't get as much of a reaction from Mariah as I'd expected.

Tense switching? I thought that problem was taken care of as well...
    There wasn't a lot, but it was there.

Thanks. I'm REALLY hoping that the revision would be enough to put the scripted version to shame, but I seem to have a long way to go...
    Don't be too hard on yourself! You're really getting off to a great start after writing script fics for so long! And don't forget, nobody becomes a great writer overnight. It takes years of hard work. Everybody stinks before they become great! Asimov certain'y didn't come out of the womb spouting ground-breaking sci-fi. (Incidently, if you can find it, I highly recommend picking up a copy of "Page After Page" by Heather Sellers. It's a highly motivational book that shows you how to incorporate writing into your life.)

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
    I'm here to apologize profusely to JA. ;____; The chapter is half way done, considering I've deleted it and started over. Mistake, mistake. I'm sooo sorry for making you wait; it's just, I'm never really the one to promise on a certain date.

Again, sorry. School/tests/projects shredded my life. ;;

Strawberry Delcatty

Neko daisuki-na no nya!
    Years
    I'm just wondering if there are any beta readers available. I want someone to catch some errors that I end up missing in my fics.

Also, I'm thinking about redoing HMW again. Well, the first three chapters anyway. They were more "converted" than revised. If you compare the current version with the scripted version, you'll see what I mean.

So, when I get through with chapter 6 of the revision, I'll get to work on redoing chapter 1.

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
    Years
    Lilililililililililililililyyyyyyy-chan, there's no hurry! ^^; I have tests too, I know how it feels! Remember, I went through school too. :P XD I barely have time to touch the computer, let alone write.

Avegaille

Misaka Mikoto > you.
    Years
    Breezy said:
    I WROTE THE BORINGEST FIC EVAH CALLED "The Pok?mon Detective" (along with a cliche title of course ;) ). It's alrighty I suppose, but the first case is absolutely boring. *sigh*

It doesn't seem boring, jsut hard to understand mysteries, that probably will be never answered i supposed.

Breezy

Eee.
    Years
    Oh, it's boring all right. How is hard though lol? I thought I left obvious clues since it was a level one mystery. o.0

I'm guessing IB testing is kinda like AP testing, so good luck frosty. Tests suck. ._.; 'Specially when it's either pass or fail for the entire course. ><

Avegaille

Misaka Mikoto > you.
    Years
    Breezy said:
    Oh, it's boring all right. How is hard though lol? I thought I left obvious clues since it was a level one mystery. o.0

Well, for someone like me, very hard, so if i have time, i'll properly read and try to solve the mstery, okay?

Years
    Avegaille Spellman said:
    Huh? What? Oh, you mean Jane and me... i started the beating subscribed threads with her by being the last poster in the subscribed htreads we have...

And what about hot threads? I don't get you.....

And yeah, i knwo one of your fans is mad at me, but who cares, we're not really spaming, as in the one with double, triple, quadruple posts....

But anyway, fanfic ideas? I'm trying to do drafts for my fanfic so that I wont' get writer's block at least! lol
    talking about me there? thought so...we were only posting in HLBMA, nothing bad ::whistles:: XDD SPPF isn't that bad, i'm serious...my fic is still on the first page, even if i posted there last...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back