• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamato-san

Banned
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Feb 15, 2012
    [bops fist on forehead] oi, Hikaru, why didn't I think of that? It's one of those names I don't hear near as much and therefor pop into my head as easily as the likes of Hikari, but knowing this sure would've been helpful. [Looks back at chapter 4 of the old version and cringes]

Anyway, for anyone who wants to try giving Japanese names to characters, I highly recommend this site. But, for the most part, I suggest you don't choose these names at random. It helps if you happen to understand some meaning behind the names (basically, if you know a Japanese word, try looking it up there to see if it can also be someone's name). Just remember, if you're making your fic seem very culturally-accurate, there's no need to follow those lists 100% of the time. Meaningful names, like those on the lists, are usually given out by the parents, but when it comes to a pet or nickname or something, you could use a name that doesn't really mean anything and just gibberish, or a name with some sort of meaning but isn't really used for humans (Kiryuu). If Chris is any indication, you can use European-style names for natives in a Japanese-style environment (because, on rare occasions, Japanese parents may favor such a naming style). Also, as you may've seen in some anime, those names on the lists can switch gender (ex. Yamato's a common male name, but a female in Pocket Monsters has it). Just letting you know that as big as these lists may be, there's more to Japanese names than just what's on there.

Shuko

Atena, WIN!
    Years
    Thank you for all the insight, guys! I've decided that I'll just keep Hikari's name the way it is. :P One thing I hate a lot is going back and changing things in my fic once I post it somewhere. It just seems kind of like cheating, to me at least, lol. Anyway, I won't worry about it; I'll get to work on chapter 3 as soon as I can!

Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2014
    I was wondering, which form of writing do you guys like better: freehand or word processing? I was having finals this week, and Latin and Math is especially easy for me so I finished early. I got bored and decided to write out my fic on freehand, and noticed how much easier it was! And now I want to see what other peoples opinions on the issue of methods of writing including things like what gets you in the mood to write and what helps you get out of writers block the best

Avegaille

Misaka Mikoto > you.
    Years
    Breezy said:
    I freewrite when I'm bored in chemistry and Language Arts and then type it up word processor hehe. :)

Oh, well, I don't usually write stuff at school due to my handwritting... and I'm a one shot writer... I don't usually transfer my writtings to a computer if I'm done with it on a paper....

Aiya Quackform

Her High Quackiness
    Years
    frostweaver said:
    I guess that if I'm doing a fanfic review for other writing, I might as well put it in this fanfic lounge ^^; An old story (i think) for this forum but who said that you can't review old stories...
    *snicker* It wasn't old when I asked for the review.

-"smell" is perhaps a better word than "stink" in the commerical/ffnet summary line... it is a more mature word to use there
    I thought about that, but "stink" conveys the idea of something repulsive, "smell" does not. I wanted to quickly show her contempt for destruction and death.

-not sure about this one, but doesn't "scar" as a verb always have to be inflicted on yourself and can't use it on others like that? Not sure here...
    I've read it to several people who really know their grammar. No one said anything about it.

something awkward about this line... it sounds a bit clumsy to say "made up for in some small way by..." perhaps "may my sins be repaid..." or something along that line?
    Perhaps, but I wanted it in a prayer-like fashion.

-though fanfics can definitely be this short and even shorter, this story doesn't show its ending point too well... there's no distinctive beginning and an end. It definitely works as a prologue, but being the standalone as it is now, you probably should emphasize on how terrible the speaker is feeling, down to the pits (take that as climax), and then let the resolution be the speaker's successor, and direct the story a bit like that...
    I can understand what you're saying, and I thought I did. But I did not want a set ending. This is an expression of a person's life, and it is not over, not by a long shot. I wanted it to be a glimpse of her life up to this point, not to the end of a portion of her life.

note: character and coherence/readability omitted due to length
    What?! The whole thing is about character, how can you omit it?

total: 61/70 => 87
    Thanks for reviewing, I appreciate it.

Yamato-san

Banned
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Feb 15, 2012
    is it just me, or is PC's fanfic forum getting more.... infested lately than usual? Since yesterday alone (as of this posting), three threads had to be closed, and on one of them, there was unconstructive praise being given to the author. It's as if ever since that rule about closing fics that don't meet standards was made, a bunch of dumb ****s suddenly rose to challenge it. Oh well..... [Munches popcorn and looks towards a colloseum arena.] Guess this just means there's gonna be more of a slaughterfest to enjoy.

[Holds out a thumb pointing upwards.] Gooooo.... [Turns thumb down.] Mods!

Isaac Gravity

Supports hot-bloodedness
    Years
    Well, the net is chock full of dorks who act like a*ses just because they feel that as an anonymous entity on the net that hides behind a name they can do whatever they feel. That's how alot of 'em get their kicks. Or they're don't take their fics seriously enough/don't know how to approach it and write whatever for the heck of it.

But my mindset is going with the first option.

Strawberry Delcatty

Neko daisuki-na no nya!
    Years
    Yamato-san said:
    is it just me, or is PC's fanfic forum getting more.... infested lately than usual? Since yesterday alone (as of this posting), three threads had to be closed, and on one of them, there was unconstructive praise being given to the author. It's as if ever since that rule about closing fics that don't meet standards was made, a bunch of dumb ****s suddenly rose to challenge it.
    For some reason, I feel that I'm the cause of all of this.

Isaac Gravity

Supports hot-bloodedness
    Years
    Breezy said:
    They just might want to write too. Contray to popular belief, most writers do not intend to make themselves look like fools. :)

Yeah, I suppose you have a point somewhat... Been spending too much of my time within the GameFaqs board...

@Nekomajo Asunya- You got nothing to do with what's going on. Threads get locked ppl get banned what can you do?

Avegaille

Misaka Mikoto > you.
    Years
    Breezy said:
    They just might want to write too. Contray to popular belief, most writers do not intend to make themselves look like fools. :)

...uh, what's the suppose to mean, Jamie??? Can i call you that? Meh, anyways...

Hmm.... writer's block galore, but I plan on making a fanfic based on my experiences of being banned in sppf! Weird, huh?

Yamato-san

Banned
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Feb 15, 2012
    pay no heed to Nekomajo. She's been putting up this whole friggin pity act ever since she got her first negative review (which, unfortunately, had to be from me of all people).

Isaac Gravity

Supports hot-bloodedness
    Years
    Avegaille Spellman said:
    ......I wish breezy was around to give me tips on pokemon fan fic writting....

Can you guys suggest some?

Well there are a few fic writing guides and fic anyalsis around here. I believe and that's better than my advice in which i'd say: "Just go with the flow, plan your story and your next move ahead of time no matter how long it takes and take note of characterization as thats key to the story. (Though fight scenes are good too.)"

Strawberry Delcatty

Neko daisuki-na no nya!
    Years
    I will admit that everything I was doing since then was to get everyone to feel sorry for me. I was basically so used to being worshipped by others that I was totally blinded to reality. However, reality came a little bit too late, but late is usually better than never.

To be honest, I was a lazy brat who cared only about the mindless praise. I never knew how to get better or what I was doing wrong. All I've got were "Great fic!" and "I love your work" with no reason why they like it or not. There was a few negative points, but the real criticism from Yamato and Frostweaver made me think that I was just wasting everyone's time. I basically have my whole fan club against the two until I cleared Yamato's name.

All I ask is, if any of you are willing to do so, to give me a chance to start over and write a fic properly. I promise that I WILL have higher standards by putting as much time and thought into my work as possible and learn from my mistakes instead of whining about them.

Avegaille

Misaka Mikoto > you.
    Years
    Meitantei Isaac said:
    Well there are a few fic writing guides and fic anyalsis around here. I believe and that's better than my advice in which i'd say: "Just go with the flow, plan your story and your next move ahead of time no matter how long it takes and take note of characterization as thats key to the story. (Though fight scenes are good too.)"

thanks! I'll keep that in mind too!

Hmm... I'll check around threads too for more tips....

Shuko

Atena, WIN!
    Years
    Nekomajo Asunya said:
    I will admit that everything I was doing since then was to get everyone to feel sorry for me. I was basically so used to being worshipped by others that I was totally blinded to reality. However, reality came a little bit too late, but late is usually better than never.

To be honest, I was a lazy brat who cared only about the mindless praise. I never knew how to get better or what I was doing wrong. All I've got were "Great fic!" and "I love your work" with no reason why they like it or not. There was a few negative points, but the real criticism from Yamato and Frostweaver made me think that I was just wasting everyone's time. I basically have my whole fan club against the two until I cleared Yamato's name.

All I ask is, if any of you are willing to do so, to give me a chance to start over and write a fic properly. I promise that I WILL have higher standards by putting as much time and thought into my work as possible and learn from my mistakes instead of whining about them.

*Pats on the back* There there, sweetie. It's okay. You know; I halfway wonder if all of us have done that at one point or another? I have to admit that the (pathetic) ficcie I wrote was nothing but a grab at some attention. :P And I KNOW that the DBZ one I wrote was, for the first few seasons of it, anyway. Although I know that it's the wrong reason, sometimes I just can't help wanting more and more of that sweet praise! XD

But it's good that you've grown to understand what's really important. Writing shouldn't be about the praise of your adoring fans. It should be about creating something that you love, and nurturing your characters into things that seem almost real themselves. Yes, reality is important, but writing - writing for the pure joy of writing - is something that will let you truly fly. And although we all have to keep our feet on the ground, it's nice to be able to float when we want to. :)

And don't be so hard on yourself. It's hard having to come to grips with the fact that you're only human. We make grammatical mistakes. :P It comes with the territory. And I have yet to read any work of literature that's so perfect that there isn't a single flaw in the storyline or the expressionism. It's just not possible - not for what we conceive as perfection. Don't sweat it. You can't do it all yourself, either. We're here to help you too, or at least, I assume a lot of us are. The beauty of having a circle of writers like this is that we can offer each other our own take on the work of one of our members. Whether you choose to accept and adopt the advice in such critiques is all part of your artistic license, but you should at least be willing to give them all a listen. If nothing else, they help you to see your work through another's eyes, if only for just a little. If you want to make your work as clear and understandable as possible, sometimes that's the kind of input you really need.

But anyway, I'm beginning to ramble, so I'll cut this off. It sounds to me that you've had your own little epiphany, and the way you've described your new philosophy on writing sounds perfect to me. Whether you really feel that way or not, you should try your hardest to keep looking at it that way. Harsh criticism will hurt less, and well-earned praise will mean all that much more. I hope you feel better about yourself and your writing, now. You really should. ^_~

Act

Let's Go Rangers!
    Years
    You all have very high expectations of the fanfiction writer o.o;; Most of them are 10-year-olds who write crap AAML fics. Many are older fan girls/guys who've never written a thing in their life but fanfiction doesn't really /matter/ so they figure they'll do that 'for fun'. The minority, the literate ones, have to sift through these annoyances for someone else who actually cares about what they're doing. There are few true jewels in our fandom.

As for NA and her crusade against concrits... more power to you... most writer never come out of that 'I'm amazing and don't deserve anything negative' stage. All it takes to be good is practice and desire.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back