• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
Years
  • Who is your favorite character in a fanfiction on this forum, other than one of your owns?

Jeff's Corphish easily wins this catergory. No matter what the situation, he can somehow make it funny.

Bay

Years
  • Where do you get your inspiration from?

Oh my gosh, all kinds of things like movies, games, shows, etc. For instance, for "Nothing, Everything", here are a few inspriations:

-My Pokemon Diamond game
    -A few classes from my universtiy
    -The anime "Death Note"
    -A couple fanfictions and books

Yeah, like purple_drake, I get inspired too easily. XD

Who is your favorite character in a fanfiction on this forum, other than one of your owns?

Hm...hard for me to say as I don't read too much fanfiction here. I would probably say the Suicuine in purple_drake's one shot. She really did justice on that Pokemon and put it on a different light by having the legendary actually curious about humans and not be all ,"humans are bad!". ^^

Oh, and duncan: will get to reviewing the rest of the chapters of your story tomorrow and should be up in a couple of days as now my finals are done. ^^ At the moment I want to relax after busy with finals and work. XD

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    Who is your favorite character in a fanfiction on this forum, other than one of your owns?
    Seconding Glajummy. Griff's Corphish is an awesome character.

As one can see, I haven't been reading that many fanfics on this forum. But, alas, school and work.

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
  • Favorite character in a fanfic other than my own, eh? Lilith from "Shining Nightmare" takes the prize. Any Absol that enjoys chocolate as much as I do deserves massive love in my book. Not to mention, first female starter I've seen in a while. o_0

I get inspiration basically from whatever I happen to be doing when I'm writing. The entire preview of "Thief in the Night" was inspired because I happened to be listening to "Fall Out" by the Police at the time and I thought "Hey, I should write a first chapter about plans falling out or something!" The rest of the fic is basically just a bunch of random plotbunnies looped together with a theme and feel that tries to duplicate the maturity level of shounen manga in terms of violence and whatnot while still retaining believable and likable characters.

Ooh, random topic addition!

Do you tend to make your protagonist the same gender as yourself?

Random, I know. XD

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I've also got a chapter waiting for a review (not new, but awful lonely)

Back on topic(s):

Where do you get your inspiration from?
    The Pokemon games
    Anime I watch
    The things I read (not novels but things like textbooks, car sales catalogs, and hotel directories)
    Music (For a disco-based battle for a (much) future chapter, disco music is obviously what's playing as I write it:)

Jeff's Corphish, for one.

There are a couple others that I might add to my list (Bunny from Bay's fic and the two girls from "Deeds of Darkness") once they've been given a chance to be developed. Already those characters are looking promising:)

Orange_Flaaffy

Crystal Bell Keeper
    Years
  • Do you tend to make your protagonist the same gender as yourself?
    Yes :). I first got into pokemon fanfic because I thought there were not that many fics told from the pov of a girl trainer (besides Misty that is :P )

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Do you tend to make your protagonist the same gender as yourself?

Not really. It depends on what the story calls for. If I need a man, I make a man. If I need a woman, I make a woman. I don't slant one way or the other, mostly because I try not to succumb to the temptation of putting myself in my fics. Why? Because my fics are effing twisted.

Also, I tend to write about canon characters more often than original characters, so it's difficult to choose a gender for someone who already has one (despite how easily I can envision Bill in a skirt).

purple_drake

~Elite obsessed~
    Years
  • I would probably say the Suicuine in purple_drake's one shot.

:O Noway!

Fwee, that just made my day. ^^ *glomps Bay*

...and that all rhymed...

Who is your favorite character in a fanfiction on this forum, other than one of your own?

Like Bay, I don't read enough on this forum to be able to choose. ^.^;; Actually, I don't read enough Pokemon fanfiction to be able to choose on any forum, really. If I did it would probably be Lisa, from DarkPersian's fic, just 'cos I like the idea of a math geek going out and getting pwned by the real world. ^.^;; Sorry, DP!

Well, Keegan started out as a self-insert, so... XD Yeah, 'nuff said.

As for some of my other, as-yet-unwritten fics... two of them have male protagonists, and a third has a female, so I guess it's about even. Even taking into consideration my pokemon-PoV fics it's still about even, although if you wanted to include supporting OCs it would probably slant towards the male side.

But quite a few of my fics use canon characters too, and I don't think they count. :P I'm not really into the gender-bender thing, myself.

Psychic

Really and truly
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2018
    On brand names:
    I've never really encountered a point where I'd need to even consider it, but I think I'd use Silph or something. If I wanted to do a clothing story or food brand, I think I'd make something up myself but base it loosely off something irl. Like for an RPG I made up a radio station on channel 97.1 (a channel Brian and Stewie had a show on in one episode of Family Guy, if I remember right) with a talk show by people who, like in irl, make their name into snazzy phrases, like DJ-JD. :P

On sequels/prequels:
    Like I said on SPPf, I find that they're usually unnecessary and it's just a writer still begging for attention because they got so much from their fic. It's like poking a horse who's just run a marathon and telling it to do it again. That's how Spiderman, Pirates of the Caribbean and hell, MOST movies are; the first one is made, it does really well and then a bunch of crap sequels are made. D:

It's different if you intend to make a series from the start, though. Like Tolkein and Rowling planned to have x number of books from the start, and they're describing an ongoing story that NEEDS x books for it to be explained in.

If you're planning to have a trilogy or whatever from the start, you have my blessings, but imo, Pirates of the Caribbean was better off before Dead Man's Chest came out. >>

On point of view:
    My favourite is first person, but it depends on the fic, really. I don't really think about it; I just seem to know that for x fic I should write from x point of view. Despite my preference for first person I use whatever's best for the fic itself, really. :P

On the source of inspiration:
    I actually tend to get hit by inspiration while in the backroom, either brushing my teeth or washing my face. I tend to get inspired when I SHOULD be doing something else, but am putting it off. Because I'm lazy and stuff. XP

Talking to friends helps, though. Just talking, bouncing ideas around and generally brainstorming. During November my friends and I spend our Saturdays in a nearby coffee shop, and though we were too busy talking to actually get our NaNoWriMo noveles written. Still, it was great, and I DID get some ideas from them. Online too, just chatting over MSN can really get the blood flowing. ^^

On main character gender:
    Like with the point above, I try to use what the situation calls for, or choose my preference f it won't matter. Despite being a gal, however, I tend to use a lot more male characters, actually, and...looking back, my female characters tend to be the exact opposite of the softie girly-girls and some are...aggressive, or attempt to suppress an aggressive nature. Like Lumerah the Sandslash from my old fic, Snapper the Croconaw from a recent One-Shot or my main female who was originally a tentative male for my upcoming Mystery Dungeon fic.

The only time I almost always make characters my own gender or even base them off myself is in RPGs. Sometimes I'll base them off how I'd like to be, though, like my more aggressive characters or the principal to my old school RP. :P

On our favourite character:
    Since, like Bay and puple_drake, I've not really read any fics here as of yet, I'll have to say none for now. ^^;

Wow, this thread is becoming like the SPPf Fan Fiction Club; you post a topic in bold and people post their replies. Yay...

~Psychic

Years
  • Who is your favorite character in a fanfiction on this forum, other than one of your own?
    Um, never read anything here yet. . .

Protoganist?
    I actually use both, I like to have more than one character to work with. Although, sometimes I may make the girl tomboy-ish, IDK, I have to work on that I guess. . . XD

Deathspector

I'm so hardcore, I'm "X"-rated
    Years
  • I really can't answer to the "favourite character" question just yet, 'cause, again, I don't read much over here (seeing as I just came back), but I will indulge myself in the other...xP

In my earlier stories, I did, because it was simply easier to write. I'm a guy, and so naturally I would know what a guy would think. But this led to all my characters being a bit too much like me for my liking and I began to experiment. First I began to write about male characters who were different from me, and recently, I've started writing about women too, so hopefully in the future I will be fluent with both.

Deathspector

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • Gah, so much being discussed...let's see if I can cover it all.

First of all, on the point of view thing: third person omniscient is the one I have most experience with. However, even when using an omniscient narrator I tend to make it an inherently biased one. Lately, I've also started discovering the joys of third person limited, so that's probably the one I enjoy most. It's challenging, but I enjoy it. x3

Brands...I dislike using them. Contrary to DarkPersian, I like to emphasize that it isn't the real world we're dealing with (hence why I also make a point of avoiding phrases like "oh my God" and use groan-inducing figures of speech like "Don't have a Miltank" and "Hold your Horseas" xD), so if I find myself in a position where I need a brand, I'll make one up. Same with bands, companies and everything else. ^^

Where do you get inspiration from?

Carrot juice.

No, seriously. Love the stuff. xD Ahem, other sources...well, just about everywhere really. Books and TV certainly (though I'm always careful with these and try not to think about the things until they've faded to a fuzzy sort of memory; I don't want to copy. D=), pieces of conversation (One of my characters was actually born out of a discussion during Philosophy class), games (especially random NPCs), songs, dreams, little things I notice. So like I said: just about everywhere. xD

Well, this should be easy in the sense that I don't really have any of my own yet. But...it's a tough call. There are just so many characters I love. x_x

Hmm...if I had to name a few: Viola from Midsummer Knights, Lilith from Shining Nightmare, Jasper from The Mirror Never Lies (abandoned now, but still an awesome fic) and Stella from Metamorphosis.

Dang, this question reminds me that I have a lot of reviewing to catch up with. >.<

Anyways, this is barely scratching the surface on my list of characters that I think are pure awesome, but I wouldn't want to bore you with all of them so I'll leave it at that.

Not really. I've cross-gender RPed so many times already that I've pretty much gotten past my bias of doing only characters of my own gender. Anyway, I'm so fond of changing the plot around that the spot of main protagonist tends to shift. Like, a couple of weeks ago, my main protagonist was male, but then I finally found the answer to a huge plot hole that has been bugging me right from the start, and at the same time I realized that with the new fix, an earlier character idea of mine (who happens to be female) would make for a far more functional main. In fact, the laws I've now set up for the universe have practically decreed female main. (makes little sense, but elaborating would be a spoiler of epic proportions) At times, I've also find characters 'developing' from one gender to another, like one character who started out girl but -- when I took a few stabs at practice writing -- turned out to work far better as a boy with certain girlish traits to him. ('princess' works so much better as a derogatory name for a guy x3)

So yeah, I'm pretty flexible about genders. I'll need representatives of both anyway, so I go with whatever gender best fits my needs.

Okay, so what topics did I miss? xD

Oh, and I might as well throw in a question of my own:

What do you prioritize in plot writing? Do you start by figuring out the ending/big theme and work your way towards it with the chapters or do you just decide on the story as you go, leaving the ending open until it's time to write it?

Yeah, my questions are always wordy. xD But seriously, this is something that I've been wondering about for a while. I actually started by figuring out the ending (a general shape, but a shape nonetheless) because I want to drop hints about what is really going on during the course of the story, but I'd like to know how you people who actually get things written do it. :3

Last edited:

Duncan McNeil

[release].your.grip
    Years
  • Where do you get inspiration from?

Ah. Great topic. Well, I'd have to say music tops my list. I use it to write different parts, like when I want to write an action part I'll put on something with a fast tempo. Something sad, I'll put on something slow.

Another place is before I go to sleep. Just sitting in bed and enjoying the nice (semi) quiet is a really good place to work on plot and everything.

I will also read a new book, which always gets me thinking. The Pendragon books are always excellent and are very similar to a story I started writing a long time ago.

Lastly, I watch the TV show 24. XD Well, watching all the action always gets me thinking about Blazing Dreams. And it probably shows, too.

Anyways, I have a rather large predicament. I have taken so long to write a new chapter (five weeks) that my mind has begun to wander. Long story short, I thought up a new fic. Should I attempt to write two fics at once or should I just finish the one I started and move on to the next one? The one I'm writing now is intended to be rather long, just for some background.

XD Yeah, that happens a lot. Well, often times starting on something new will get be helpful for getting new ideas on both new fics. I'm usually writing two fics at once, so it's not impossible. Just a bit harder.

What you might want to do is pause your first fic and start writing the second for a while until you get some new ideas on the first. Just my advice. :)

Hmm. Very difficult, but Griffs' Corphish is hilarious. I have a lot more, but they aren't here unfortunately...

Oh, and duncan: will get to reviewing the rest of the chapters of your story tomorrow and should be up in a couple of days as now my finals are done. ^^ At the moment I want to relax after busy with finals and work. XD

Sure thing. Take your time, I'm in no hurry. :D

Well, generally yes. I've written two fics with female protagonists, but usually it's male.

Wow, this thread is becoming like the SPPf Fan Fiction Club; you post a topic in bold and people post their replies. Yay...

XD That's what I was just thinking...

What do you prioritize in plot writing? Do you start by figuring out the ending/big theme and work your way towards it with the chapters or do you just decide on the story as you go, leaving the ending open until it's time to write it?

Very good topic. :D

Well, I work on plot more than anything else mainly, so I pretty much have the whole plot and theme planned out before I've begun the fic. It works out neater that way for me.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • What do you prioritize in plot writing? Do you start by figuring out the ending/big theme and work your way towards it with the chapters or do you just decide on the story as you go, leaving the ending open until it's time to write it?

Hmm. Depends on where I am in the story. With the first chapter, most of the time, I don't know how it's going to end. As I work, I get ideas, and my chapters start to go towards that conclusion. Makes things nicely spontaneous in the beginning and linear in the end, like you're funneling towards something.

Scytheteen

What is mine is yours
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Jan 29, 2014
    Good grief, I leave for one night and 3 new topics are posted...you guys need lives xD

It's from an old fanfic in the FA...but my favorite is Wally from "Who shot Brendan Berch?"

Random, I know. XD

Most of the time, I find it's just easier doing that. When I make the protagonist a girl, it's harder to find out her feelings and emotions and though, because I can't relate to most of them.

I just decide on the story as I go. Of course I have basic ideas set up for the chapter, but I don't really plan ahead too much. Alright new topic.

Do you like reading/reviewing fanfics or one shots better?

I like reading and reviewing one shots better, less to keep up with.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Do you like reading/reviewing fanfics or one shots better?

Completely depends on the quality of both. If it's awesome, I follow it. If it's mediocre, then I have less fun reading through it (and eventually stop reading it if it's a serial). If it's godawful, I might have fun reading through it with a Satellite of Love thing going on in my mind.

Also, it partly depends on the author as well. I'm more likely to "forget" about a serial or a one shot if someone keeps asking me (as in, every time I speak to them) if I've read it. Likewise, if the author blows off my reviews by saying that I'm wrong or expressing any other sort of egotism in defense of some pretty bad writing, then I blow off the rest of his story as well. (This usually happens more for serials than one shots for obvious reasons, although I've avoided certain writers' one shots because of their attitude towards reviews for some of their other work as well.)

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2023
    Inspiration: Movies, TV shows, showers, lying in bed, classes.

Favorite character (so far): I have to say... Ajax the Scyther from Glaj's fic.

PS, I didn't know Corphish had such a wide fanbase :P

Plot writing: I have somethings in store but other than that I decide as I go.

One shots vs. Chaptered: I (for the most part) don't like oneshots, they end too quickly and are usually quite dark and sad. So I like chaptered better.

PS, I'm also surprised at the amount of posters here who dont actually read a lot of the stuff here.

Sike_Saner

*aromatisse noise*
    Years
  • Name brands? In your fic, do you use existing name brands, make up your own, or just go with what canon states (the Silph/Devon/Poketch Company/etc...)?

Real-world brand names do exist in my fics. I'm open to using canon brands and making up my own brands, too, though. ^^

Do you like to keep your fics going with sequels and/or prequels?

I'd probably do so if I had ideas for proper prequels or sequels. As it is, I tend to do spinoffs instead.

What point of view do you enjoy writing in most?

I'm a third-person fan, at least when it comes to my actual fics. Outside of those, I've used first-person at times and enjoyed it fairly well, too. ^^

Where do you get inspiration from?

Three main sources:

1. Obsessively wondering about a particular Pokémon
    2. Obsessively wondering, What if?
    3. Song lyrics

Also, walking is something that helps get my mind going, watching movies can help me visualize scenes, and listening to certain kinds of music can help set the mood for the scene I'm working on. ^^

Dang... I have too many favorites to name. o.o;

Nope. My protagonists are nearly always male, and I'm not.

I usually begin with just a basic outline of the plot and flesh out the specifics as I go along. As for the ending, I usually have that figured out before I begin writing the story.

Do you like reading/reviewing fanfics or one shots better?

I have no preference where that's concerned. ^^

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back