• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orange_Flaaffy

Crystal Bell Keeper
Years
  • what you believe to be fact, rather than simply opinions
    What I think to be fact is the same as my opinion most of the time.
    But just because I think of it as fact to me does not mean I think everyone should agree with me :\. It's just my own view of the world.
    I think two people can have two different 'facts' to them about writing or anything and post them side by side without debating about it all the time (once and a while is okay):).
    I'm not going to tape my venting posts in a little box away from public view because people don't see the line between
    'this is the writing world to me' and 'this is the writing world to me, live in it or else you are stupid and so is your fiction' :(.

Actually, the later is the pov of a well known author on FF.net who finds flaming fun.
    I may have some strong ideas about what I like to read, but I am no flamer :\

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • What I think to be fact is the same as my opinion most of the time. But just because I think of it as fact to me does not mean I think everyone should agree with me :\. It's just my own view of the world.

What I mean by "what you think is fact" is someone who says this:

"This is fact, and I have proof to back it up."

The confusion lies in the fact that if you say things as if they're fact, then someone can come along to correct you, even if you just want to say later, "Oh, well, it was just an opinion."

What you said earlier was stated as a fact. You didn't say that they seemed like they were all dark and depressing. You said they were, which meant you had proof or that it was an actual fact. I came along to correct you by saying that the fact, not the opinion, was wrong. You withdrew its status as a fact and attempted to make it an opinion, which is why we're discussing this right now. (This is actually how I usually get into arguments with you, by the way.)

That said, if you don't want to debate, then either don't state your opinions as fact by making some sort of indication that what you're saying is an opinion or don't post your opinion in public at all, the latter of which you really don't want to do and is only a last resort if you feel you can't handle possible negative responses to what you say. Otherwise, you'll just have to be prepared for more debates because there's really no way that I could have interpreted what you said earlier to be an opinion, considering there was nothing in that post that made it seem like an opinion except for the fact that it was preceded by the statement "I don't like one-shots."

And I apologize if this is off-topic. Maybe we should continue this in PMs.

Orange_Flaaffy

Crystal Bell Keeper
    Years
  • nothing in that post that made it seem like an opinion except for the fact that it was preceded by the statement "I don't like one-shots.
    That was meant to be the IMHO :) Besides, all these questions are only asking for our opinions in the first place, I thought it was a give in :) ...
    And now I notice that the one person that agreed with me on finding most one shots dark changed their answer -.-

What pokemon would you like to see have a major part in fanfic more often?

Deathspector

I'm so hardcore, I'm "X"-rated
    Years
  • Interesting debate, you two. It's definitely worth talking about, but really I don't have much to add, and butting in would be stupid. Instead, I'll answer a few questions. ^^

How long do you wait in between posting chapters for your upcoming fic?

Initially, I used to be able to type up a chapter in three days, and that was the chapter interval I used to have when I first wrote "Betrayal". But later, it began taking me longer an longer to type up my chapters. On a normal basis, it takes me three days to type the chapter up, and then I leave it for a day, and tackle it the next day to pry out all the errors that are there (which they inevitably will be). So now (I haven't done a chaptered fic in about half a year, now) It'll take me a week or longer.

What Pokémon would you like to see have a major part in fanfic more often?

Any legendary.

Yes, weird answer, but it's what I feel. People are much too wary about usinig a legendary in their fics that they have become almost extinct from fiction. The only fics I've seen that incorporate legendaries as main characters are Raikou Rider's "Pokémon Wars" and Knightblazer's (I don't think she's even on this forum) Midian.

Deathspector

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    To go opposite of what Deathspector said, I would love to see a fic that uses the common common Pokemon. I mean the lowest of the low. I love Rattata, Zubat, Sentret, and the like. Give me the lowest denominator of Pokemon, and I'll love the fic forever.

I was actually planning a fanfic where a Rattata is used as the starter Pokemon, but the poor thing didn't fit the role I needed. So I had to scrap it. It's an idea stuck in the back of my mind, however, to hopefully be used at a later date.

purple_drake

~Elite obsessed~
    Years
  • Furthermore, while I admit I was in the wrong about that single (badly phrased) line, I said other things in that post. What about the other things I said with regards to my argument?

Well, it was that badly phrased line which made you seem hypocritical and detracted from your overall argument. ^.^;; But yeah, generally, judging on the basis of what you've seen as opposed to what is present isn't a good idea... that was the overall point of your posts, right? :3

Yes, weird answer, but it's what I feel. People are much too wary about usinig a legendary in their fics that they have become almost extinct from fiction. The only fics I've seen that incorporate legendaries as main characters are Raikou Rider's "Pokémon Wars" and Knightblazer's (I don't think she's even on this forum) Midian.

*clears throat and points at link in her signature titled 'The Taming of the Northern Wind'*

Suicune one-shot, in case you were interested. ;) Plus, Legendaries do play a big part in 'Choice and Consequence'... although not as main characters.

...no, I'm not out for recognition, why do you ask? *looks innocent*

None, really. :P As long as they suit the part they're in and are portrayed well, I don't have any problem with which pokemon people use. The whole OU/UU debate tends to annoy me for that reason--I'm of the belief that even cliches can be good if they're done well (plus, there's a reason some things are cliche; because they just make sense to be used in a certain time and place).

For instance, my main character Keegan's starter was an eevee. First glance, sounds horrible, but it was a present from her father, who is quite wealthy and spoiled her rotten, so it makes a certain amount of sense for her to be getting a pokemon which is 'desired'. Not that I had any of that logic worked out when I gave it to her, I was just choosing on the basis of the fact that I liked eevee. :3

That said, I've recently been choosing my characters' teams with the intention of them having pokemon which aren't seen as often--like parasect and arbok for one character, granbull, sudowoodo and piloswine for another.

...and on that note, I may as well introduce another topic: How do you choose your characters' teams?

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • That was meant to be the IMHO :)

Then say so next time, as they were two different statements. Like I already said, there's a difference between "I feel"/"seems" and "they are." Just because the question asked for an opinion doesn't mean that the entire response would be opinion. One can give facts to support her views, so to say "are" doesn't necessarily mean you in particular feel as if there's too much darkness and depression in a genre. It means more that there is too much darkness and depression in a genre -- no opinion involved.

I'm sure you understand how syntax can change the entire meaning of what you say, which is what I'm trying to tell you to be wary of. (Yes, I'm aware of this too and will retract my statement about SPPf. The rest of my post had a point, however, that I feel really shouldn't be overlooked just for one statement.)

But dropping that (or at least taking it to PMs)...

How do you choose your characters' teams?

Mostly, it's random. I try to avoid the Pokemon that seem to be particularly popular (like Eeveelutions, Charizard, et cetera) while keeping in mind function, like plot points. But mostly, it's an act of opening up an online Pokedex and picking out what looked good at the time.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    It's based mostly on looks. I sit at a table somewhere with my book of all 490 (o.O) Pokemon, flipping through and choosing whichever ones I like. Only the starter has to fill a specific role, so that one is specially chosen. The others fill whatever role they need to, but they are generally based on looks.

Bay

Years
  • What Pokémon would you like to see have a major part in fanfic more often?

Meh, I really have no preference of which Pokemon I want to see more. Like purple_drake, I am a bit tired of the OU/UU debate. (shrugs)

I pretty much decided on the Pokemon team if it fits the charactger's personalities and on rarer cases, for plots. Sometimes it is also if it is my favorite (though I tried to not do that too much XD)

Deathspector

I'm so hardcore, I'm "X"-rated
    Years
  • How do you choose your characters' teams?

That really depends on the story I'm writing, and who's team it is. For one, I wouldn't give a young trainer from Kanto an Absol, just as I wouldn't give an experienced trainer from Hoenn a Rattata. On some occasions, they play roles in the plot, but for the most part (keeping in mind who I'm choosing them for), I'll just pick them out from random.

Oh, and purple_drake, I haven't read much on these forums, so I apologise skipping those out. Although now that I think about it, "The Taming Of The Northern Wind" does ring a vague bell... x.x

Deathspector

purple_drake

~Elite obsessed~
    Years
  • Oh, and purple_drake, I haven't read much on these forums, so I apologise skipping those out. Although now that I think about it, "The Taming Of The Northern Wind" does ring a vague bell... x.x

Oh, you've got nothing to apologise for. XD I just thought if you liked Legendaries they might interest you--but CaC in its improved form isn't posted on this forum yet, so yeah. :3

And I may as well answer my own topic, since I didn't before...:

Keegan's team is mostly chosen for which pokemon I liked at the time I first started writing (although in the rewrite almost half the team ended up being changed to what fit the story best) while her rival's team is based around some random choices and some pokemon I think suit him. Another character is a doctor, so I chose pokemon that could reflect his occupation--like electabuzz/elekid and spinarak.

My other OCs were given pokemon with the intention of them having varying types--so no repeats of the same type--but after that it was equal parts random, pokemon uncommonly seen in fics, and ones which suit them. Although, for characters based off the game rivals I've pretty much decided to just used their in-game teams. :P

And, of course, canon characters have their teams already set, so...

Years
  • That really depends on the story I'm writing, and who's team it is. For one, I wouldn't give a young trainer from Kanto an Absol, just as I wouldn't give an experienced trainer from Hoenn a Rattata. On some occasions, they play roles in the plot, but for the most part (keeping in mind who I'm choosing them for), I'll just pick them out from random.

^ My answer to the teams question.
    Of course with Magma it is easier to choose from random as I am only using fire and ground types.

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2023

Hmm...

Although I'm doing this myself, venturing into the territory of the forgotten pokemon...(Oh and starters :) )

Well at first (and still) I chose my favorites (who a few of them happen to be ones that are sompletely forgotten about). But recently, like Hanako said, I've discovered that common pokemon aren't necessarily bad, either, as you can give them any personality, too. This is partly why I incorporated a Zigzagoon in recently and someone's future pokemon team happens to include
    Spoiler:

I'm also including some pokemon that I don't particularily like, for some reason..

The teams initially depend on the character and I dont really have planned ones for any of them (for example, I had no idea that __ would catch ___ until my beta recently brought up th idea.)

Scytheteen

What is mine is yours
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Jan 29, 2014

I tend to like using those unloved pokemon that everyone forgets about (e.g., doduo, spinarak, corphish, etc., etc.)

I really just take random pokemon, usually one or two of them being a rare pokemon. Most of the time, the teams are in no way balanced, and are just a mix of random pokemon I picked out of the sky.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023

That is probably the best question I've seen in a while... For a lot of reasons, the main one being, I'm tired of seeing the same starters as the Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh twelve, and then if it's not them, it's Eevee... However, a lot of people are coming to my point and saying; "well, what's so great about them?" So, yeah, probably Hanako's; Ratata, Sentret, Ralts, and Legendaries...

I think about it for a while, think about it some more, think about the environment my character is in and will be in, and has been in... What Pokemon would suit that character... But I make sure never to have two of the same types in a team, and I never really go over three Pokemon per person.

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    Easy. I would love to see the UU Pokemon play some important roles in fics. In my fic, I have some UU Pokemon (Pachirisu, Burmy, Stunky, Chatot, etc.)

Of course, you always have to have a few OU Pokemon in your fics, as well.

1. HM Learners (In my Fic, each character is to have a Pokemon that can learn Fly.)
    2. Whatever Pokemon's appearance matches the character's personality (If a Pokemon looks intelligent, it will most likely go to an intelligent character.)
    3. I get a list of each type of Pokemon (Type: Grass, Water, Fire, etc.) and pick one Pokemon from each list. Then I go down the line and pick a Pokemon that would best suit the character.

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
  • Mmm-hmm... thank you to the thirteen or so people who have read "Thief in the Night", my first official fanfic. Anyone wishing to review for good or ill, please pull out your red pens now.

Hmm...

I choose my character's teams on the basis of three things:

-First, I think about Pokemon I have owned in-game or wish to own.

-Second, I think about the personalities I have assigned said Pokemon (I swear, I played through every game and assigned my team personalities. I could write an entire fic about my elaborations on the S.S. Anne plotline in FR/LG). My Pokemon tend to have some sort of personality that balances out the group in some way. (If my character is overdramatic, he'll have a mellow Pokemon who tries to keep him in line, for example.) I think of my Pokemon as additional characters to the fic, so I add members to the teams of the characters as plot reasons call for them or I get ideas for a character that I don't want to discard.

Oh, question I've wanted to ask for a while...

As a reviewer, what is your absolute least favorite explanation for a character that understands Pokemon outside of "miraculously able to for no reason at all"?

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • As a reviewer, what is your absolute least favorite explanation for a character that understands Pokemon outside of "miraculously able to for no reason at all"?

1. "It's fanFICTION! That means I can do whatever I want!"
    2. Any explanation that doesn't actually come around in the story. You know, where an author responds to a review by going, "Well, yeah, she got that ability because of a curse that I didn't mention in the story. Sorry!" Or something like that.
    3. Within the story, usually, it's "she was born that way." Sure, explaining it takes away from the "miraculously able to for no reason at all" part, but being born with the talent, in my opinion, feels just so... boring, especially when you could do all sorts of awesome things that could possibly give your character that ability. Like having a spell being cast on the person. Or having a babel fish. Or eating magic cheese.

Curiosity speaking, but did anything actually inspire you to ask this question? I'm wondering if there's an amusing fic that needs to be read here. XD

Scytheteen

What is mine is yours
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Jan 29, 2014
    As a reviewer, what is your absolute least favorite explanation for a character that understands Pokemon outside of "miraculously able to for no reason at all"?

Heh, there's a random topic. For me, my least favorite explanation for that would probably be something like "If I say she can understand pokemon, she can understand pokemon xP"

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2023
    I'm hoping I explained my reasoning at least semi-logically well.I haven't read too many fics where this has happened (because I haven't read too many fics, probably :P ) so I can't really think of a bad explaination.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back