• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite and least musical(s)

Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2021
    I am a huge musical theatre enthusiast, so I've seen many great works by several great composers and lyricist s such as Andrew Lloyd Webber, Tim Rice, Elton John, Alan Menkan, and many more. Thus, it is truly hard for me to choose my favorites, but I'll try anyways.

One of my all time favorite musicals is The Phantom of the Opera. It is truly a remarkable musical with a great story, complicated technical elements, and a beautiful score composed my Andrew Lloyd Webber. My favorite cast has got to be either the 1989 Canadin cast with Com Wilkinson as The Phantom and Rebecca Caine as Christine or the 25th anniversary cast with Ramin Karimiloo as The Phantom and Sierra Boggess as Christine. In my opinion, the best number in this is "Music of the Night." It has such touching lyrics that are accompanied by such a beautiful melody. It truly is one of ALW best works.

Another one of my favorites is Love Never Dies, a sequel to TPOTO. I really can't understand why it receives so much hate. Sure, there are some moments that are awkward, but those moments are few between. I really do enjoy the original London cast with Ramin Karimiloo as The Phantom and Sierra Boggess as Christine. My favorite song from it would have to be either, "Til I Hear You Sing," or, "Beauty Underneath."

The last one of my favorite musicals that I'm going to share is Les Miseràbles. I'll admit it, when I first saw it, I was wondering when they'd stop singing and start speaking. However, as I continued watching it, I fell in love with the beautiful music. It is an awesome score to an incredible story of redemption. My favorite cast is the 10th anniversary cast, and my favorite song from the musical is,"Bring Him Home."

My least favorite musical is Charlotte's Web. I saw it performed once by an extremely talented cast of kids, but the music they were performing wasn't that well written. There were no tunes that stuck in my head after the show was over.

So what're your favorite and/or least favorite musicals and why?

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • I'm not a massive musical theater/film but I honestly can't actually recall wholeheartedly disliking one. I was pretty indifferent to Grease, Hairspray and Chicago but I really enjoyed Willy Wonka, Annie, West Side Story, Singin' in the Rain and The Mikado (at different points in my life).

Whenever my parents offered to buy me theater tickets I always went for a comedy show, not a musical.

pompayyy

Forever and Ever
    Years
  • and a beautiful score composed my Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Does this sound familiar?

lol just kidding. Don't believe in no plagiarism theories.

But while on the topic of Pink Floyd, I love "Pink Floyd's The Wall". It really helps clarify the story of the album. And also "The Who's Tommy". Love the songs, and has some famous stars in there (Eric Clapton, Ann-Margret, and Elton John). Basically, I love most Classic Rock themed musicals (Like The first two Beatles movies, The Who's Quadrophenia, etc.). Also a buttload of concert movies, if you'd count that.

I haven't really seen enough musicals to hate one, but I thought "Across The Universe" was a bit too out there for my taste. To much sixties stuff, like drugs, protests, etc.

Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2021
    Funny you mention it, because one of the people who sued ALW actually copied "Close Every Door" from Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.

As for Across the Universe, I do feel it was a decent musical and would love to see it on stage one day.

pompayyy

Forever and Ever
    Years
  • As for Across the Universe, I do feel it was a decent musical and would love to see it on stage one day.

It's not that it was bad, just certainly not for me. I'd still like to see another Beatles musical though :)

As for the Lloyd Webber and Pink Floyd thing, there's certainly some (at least) inspiration from Echoes. However, both riffs sound like Ralph Vaughan Williams' London Symphony from what I hear.

Also I forgot to say Dr. Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog. God I loved that movie.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I feel like I've seen a lot of musicals for a non-musical lover (about 4). I have to say my favorite was Jersey Boys, as I was quite familiar with the songs. My least favorite was The Book of Mormon, the humor was just not palatable imo. It's that forced humor that I can't stand. All the singing and stuff was excellent, as it should be though.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    Not into musicals as much more so theatre plays I do however hate that horrid excuse for highschool called.... Highschool musical it basically gave all girls and some guys the thought that highschool is a breeze no one gets bullied no body hurts another and everyone gets a girl friend also I hate that kind of music. Highschool is a fight to the finish I goto an all boys school it is show no mercy if people don't show respect then no one will respect you and that is a big mistake made by many year sevens, I for one enjoy the way it works since most of the time I wouldn't mingle with those who would be targets of bullies and I don't hang with people who are being watched constantly by teachers incase they do something wrong, i have enough trouble with teachers since certain incidents at a school disco between my school and the other girls only school.

Years
  • I'm a huge musical buff! My favorite has to be Phantom of the Opera, with Les Miserables being a very close second. To me POTO is everything I love musically, visually, and story-wise. I love the darkness of it. I've also seen it on Broadway three times and every time has been incredible.

Les Mis to me is has a flawless story as well as music. I love the theme of redemption, so it's one of the reasons why I gravitate to it so much. I've also seen this twice on the current U.S. Tour.

I haven't seen anything I've downright hated, but My Fair Lady's ending nearly pushed me there. :P

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • My favourite stage musicals are Company and Merrily We Roll Along (both by Stephen Sondheim) and The Book of Mormon by the Trey Parker, Matt Stone and Robert Lopez. I'm not a massive fan of traditional musicals: can't stand West Side Story, although I've only seen the film version - and Andrew Lloyd Webber does absolutely nothing for me, though I appreciate why other people eat that stuff up. I like more of the offbeat stuff. The same goes with film musicals: can't stand The Sound of Music/Oliver!/My Fair Lady (although I like it as a stage musical...) but gimme Bjork going nutso in Dancer in the Dark or Steve Martin miming to old honky-tonk classics in Pennies from Heaven and that's me all sewn up. :D

Back