• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite anime series?

Favorite anime series?

• Total voters

Demigod

umop ap!sdn
Years
Kanto and Johto were my favorite seasons because in my opinion they started dragging and stopped being as original with the other ones... that really turned me off even though I still enjoyed Hoenn.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
It's hard to say... I've always liked Hoenn for the nostalgia but I really enjoyed Best Wishes because of the Japanese cast =D
But I guess I'll still stick with Hoenn with Isshu being second =D

Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
I do think Hoenn had the second best humor/comedy of the series after Kanto and Orange Islands. DP wasn't as funny as Hoenn was. Neither was Best Wishes really.

shadowdueler474

Muffins for all!
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 25, 2014
1. How exactly did Ash and Dawn learn from each other?

Ash used Dawn's countershield in his gym battles and Paul fights, Ice Aqua Jet, and I just found that their characters played off of each other better than Misty or May did.

Pumpkaboo

Peek-a-boo
Years
I enjoyed the original series the best of course. But that may be nostalgia talking, when I rewatched it recently I found that some parts I didn't like as much as I thought I had done. There were a few great episodes and some equally rubbish ones, but the pacing was way better and it didn't rely so heavily on introducing a new pokemon with each episode. Kalos is quickly overtaking the number one spot for me just because of the higher quality animation and the fact Ash seems to be showing maturity and experience from his past travels. I also love Citron and Eureka, they break the previous tropes with his companions or inverse them, making it very interesting to watch. Serena... well I don't hate her but I find how obsessed she can be with Ash to be borderline creepy at times. I'm hoping she moves on from that now we're out of the introduction stages.

I also enjoyed the Battle Frontier and especially loved the Darkrai movie from the DP saga.

For me the worst series was the Best Wishes one. I really disliked how they attempted to "reset" the series by making Ash a novice again. His gym battle with Elesa marks as one of the worst battles of all time just for how stupid they tried to make him. I didn't particularly like his companions, Cilan got annoying fast and Iris grated on me with every line (which is a shame because I love her design and premise). I found the whole series to be cringe worthy at times.

Years
Original-Battle Frontier were the best in my opinion. I thought DP was okay but despised Iris and Cilan in BW. Once they got rid of both Misty AND Brock it was to much to handle. Clian was a poor replacement for Brock and Iris was just BAD. Seemed like a Dawn clone. But the first two episodes X and Y looked very promising. Love that Serena knew Ash from Pallet Town. I like Bonnie and her brother is interesting and seems like a good character, but i don't really care for his outfit. Can't wait until they start showing the dubs. (And please bring Ash's Charizard back later on. Mega Charizard X FTW)

ShieldWolf27

18 year vet
Years
Pokemon Origins. It's only four episodes long but it's the best of the entire Pokemon series.
If I had to pick something other than Origins, I really enjoyed the Johto region episodes. Johto was and remains to this day, my favorite region.

Years
  • Seen Jan 15, 2017
I pick the Original series because it was the best years of Pokemon. Best wishes series was the best series ever made, since the characters were more interesting and the rival's were well handled.

Diamond and Pearl series is the worst series i have ever seen, uninteresing characters namely Dawn and Ash character decline so much here.

XY series is looking great as of right now.

Years
I voted Johto because that's the generation I mostly grew up with and have the fondest memories of.

Best wishes series was the best series ever made, since the characters were more interesting and the rival's were well handled.
BW is by far the series I've watched the most of (all of Black and White and the first 12 episodes of Rival Destinies, as opposed to just scattered episodes for the rest), and I generally like it, although it's gone downhill with the boring Landorus/Thundurus/Tornadus arc. (Is it just me, or is it really weird for human-like Pokemon to use name-speak?) And I have to say, I agree about Trip. Unlike the previous rivals, I actually hate him rather than root for him.

Diamond and Pearl series is the worst series i have ever seen, uninteresing characters namely Dawn and Ash character decline so much here.
Dawn just doesn't have a personality and goes along with all of Ash's goals. Then again, I haven't watched much of DP so I can't judge too hard.

XY series is looking great as of right now.
That's good. I've only seen the first episode, but you know how I think BW went...

mayuyu

Fairy Queen
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 22, 2014
Original and Advanced. Original because nostalgia and (uncommon opinion) I actually like how Ash won battles by not actually winning them. It made the series more interesting and different from the games. As for Advanced, I liked that it was like a new start, and I loved the contests. Like the OP said, it was a nice and mellow season.

The Orange Islands felt like a huge filler season (which it technically was). Johto was great, but it felt too much like a sequel to the Original (which, again, it technically was); I would have preferred it to stand more alone. Battle Frontier was okay, but, like Johto, it had too much of a sequel vibe for my tastes. I liked Diamond & Pearl, just not as much as the Original and Advanced. Didn't watch enough of Best Wishes to comment fairly on it.

I've watched like 7 episodes of X & Y and I love it so far.

Years
  • Seen Jun 7, 2016
I always thought the original and orange islands were pretty "meh." Sure, the original was what got me into it, but it didn't mean they were "that great." The reason behind my logic was because pity badges and below par fillers. I mean, not only did he not win the league (those episodes were awful IMO), he couldn't "catch em all."

I felt the same way about the orange islands. Never really saw why they did this, but it did make for and awesome movie (P2k). Tracey was such a boring character, and by that time, I thought of Misty as stale. The fillers were below par, especially since there weren't technically any new pokemon.

Johto was a bit better I suppose. They brought back Brock and dumped Tracey. Team rocket was still a joke, and all of their jokes started to really bug me. Misty pulling Brock's ear became really old really fast as well. The new pokemon/region was what made it better than original/orange. His gym badges were actually earned, and I thought the pokemon championship at the end of the series was fantastic.

Advanced was awesome. It was such a great refresh in every way. The new region looked promising, and the pokemon looked more appealing. It was also nice to see Ash in a different pair of clothes as well. Pokemon contests were such a huge hit with me. I thought May was an amazing refresh from where Misty left off, and it was good to see a change. Max was annoying when he was being a smart alic, which was about 50% of the time. And, this gen spawned the Deoxys and Jirachi movies, which were fantastic.

Diamond/pearl, my fav. It still latched onto Brock, which was fine by me. It was by far the best series up to that point. The writing was better, the fillers were better, and the animation was better. I was happy contests were still alive. Dawn was an okay character, as she was like the female version of Ash in many ways. The team galactic involvement was really well done. And Paul was the best rival Ash has had IMO, because he is the exact opposite of him. Unimportant, but D/P had some of the greatest opening theme songs as well. I know the original was appalling, but the three after that were dynamite. Aaannnddd... This gen gave us the darkrai movie.

BW was such crap, I don't even think I have to say anything, but I will anyway. The Ash reboot was really sad, he forgot how to catch a pokemon... Had some of the worst battles, some of the worst fillers, and IMO, fifth gen had the worst pokemon with a select few that I liked. Cilan was a step down from Brock, and his cooking puns became old fast. Iris was an annoying character that had so much potential. Her "you're such a kid" annoyed me so much after she would turn around and act like one herself. Team plasma started getting involved way too late. The only positive was team rocket's development, albeit a bit late to the game, but accepted nonetheless.

Having watched the first 11 episodes of XY (2 english, 9 japanese w/subs) this looks extremely promising. I guess that's writers for ya. Clemont and Bonnie are really likeable characters so far, and Serena seems to add a different dimension to the show that we haven't had in ages. Ash seems to show more signs of maturity, and hopefully he warms up to the idea of Serena's feelings for him. I think the few fillers we've had so far a great because they show some sense of character development. And my gawd the new animations!

Sorry for the long post, but this was a fairly easy question for me to answer, and I had the free time to sit down. My favourite was definitely D/P. I really couldn't let nostalgia take over practicality and reason. D/P for its time had the best writing, animation, and character cohesion. I've got my hopes up for XY, and we'll see where it goes from here, with XY12 airing in japan next week. In the writers we trust.

Years
  • Seen Aug 20, 2019
My favourite DP. I loved the storyline aswell as the development. The battles were cool.
I also found it emotional at points like when Gliscor is left with the airmaster or when Cacnea is released. Then of course there's Jessie's past and Dustox release.

I liked the 2 parters and the arcs. I found the summer school arc quite fun and I enjoyed the riolu 2 parter.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
I really enjoy all of it...can't pick just one series I liked most of all

Katrica

Shayan
Years
I love the original series, but I can't help but say I love Pokemon Advanced best. Team Magma are in it <3

Years
  • Seen Jan 15, 2017
DP series was crap all the way through to the end and this series had the most terrible uninteresting character rivals to date, plus Dawn was the worst female character to ever be on the main cast because she was just blend without any personality at all, as for Paul he was an great rival but he wasn't all that great like Gary was in the OS.

The OS. All of the Original 150 pokemon were the best aswell as the main characters Ash Pikachu, Misty and Brock, the Pokemon Kanto League was the best one of the best pokemon Leagues of the entire series, the Orange Islands were made and Brock left the cast to be replace by Tracey who wasn't as good as Brock was, Brock cameback and Johto got started with brand new 100 Pokemon beyond the Orignal 150 Pokemon seen in the Kanto/OI series, the Johto League had some of the best battles of the whole entire series.

BW series was great due to Iris/Cilan joining the main cast and the interesting battles of the entire series, the animation was a great improvement, the pokemon League was good but a little bit too short, the Team Plasma/N arc was pure epic.

The XY series is looking to be an inieresting series so far, Clemont and Bonnie are great, Serena seems like a great character that will have more development later on in the series.

Last edited:

Goombario64

Master of Galaxies
Years
Diamond and Pearl, by far. Reasons:
1) Dawn quickly became my favorite character out of anything, even outside of Pokemon. She's just so much more...idk, confident and outgoing than the other females ever were. I guess Iris beats her with outgoingness, but Iris didn't really get much character development, while Dawn did. Dawn even clearly has a crush on Kenny (she left a note to Kenny in one of the later episodes and openly called him handsome. You can't get much more lovey than that in Pokemon anime).

2) The graphics were enhanced, yet the humor from Hoenn remained, and the blandness from Kanto, Johto, and the Orange Islands did not return.

3) Team Rocket sticks with their classic methods of capturing Pikachu, and this time they seem to focus more on Mechas than usual, which never got old to me.

4) There is more chemistry b/w the main characters, specifically Dawn + Ash. They helped each other grow as trainers, while simultaneously having some hilarious "I really hate you" moments.

EDIT: I love how completely opposite my opinion is compared to most people. The same goes for how I never liked the First movie much.

Rayquaza.

Lead Dev in Pokémon Order and Chaos
Years
What Was Your Favourite Anime Series?

Basically, as the thread suggests, I'm wondering which series from the Anime people found best. Obviously this doesn't include the current series as the dub is only a couple of episodes in.

If you post with an answer or answer the poll consider the following things with your answer (and post them):

NOTE: Don't just say the first series because it has the first pokemon which makes it the best, all my friends say that and that annoys me because they give one reason which, in my opinion, isn't valid. If the Gen VI Pokémon had appeared in the first series people would like them like they do the Gen I pokémon because they would've been original.

- Do you think the Pokémon were fitting for the series?
- What about the storyline did you like, the similarities with the games or the
characters roles?
- Did you find that the evil team was well integrated with the series?
- Were the rivals well presented?

For example: My favourite series was the Diamond & Pearl Saga. This is because I found that the series was quite funny, overall it was fairly entertaining. I also thought that Ash's main rival, Paul, was a good addition to the series because of the difference between him and Ash and his similarities (in terms of attitude) with Gary.
I also liked the fact that Team Galactic were well integrated into the story and they used a number of menacing weapons to have their way, this was not the same with the Hoenn series and Unova series as Team Magma and Aqua didn't weren't put into the story as much as I had hoped. On the other hand Team Plasma were to make an appearance in an early episode in the second season in Black and White but the episode was postponed due to the tsunami in Japan and never aired again, instead, Team Plasma appeared in a later series and their plot was over not long before it had begun.
In the Sinnoh saga I also liked that Ash's companions were travelling with stronger goals than previously; Brock becomes more of a help and Dawn has a strong dream of being a coordinator. Finally, the Sinnoh league was well put out with the battle matchups and the battle of Ash and Paul being very intense.

So, what do you guys think?

Back