• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite anime!

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
  • ^ no, you're not the only one, I liked FLCL too. :3 So effing random and so effing badass. <3

First off, the lack of One Piece mentions here is disturbing, to say the least. U guise have bad taste. >U

Jk. But srsly. Watch it. It is GOOD.

My fave list:
    Series that I think are closer to perfection be it any aspect of the series -
    Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
    Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
    Gintama (all seasons)
    Fate Zero
    Hunter X Hunter 2012
    Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
    One Piece Movie 6 - Baron Omatsuri

These series/movies ^ are just amazing any way you look at it. They have amazing plots, characters, animation, soundtrack - everything!

The ones that I think came close but had some flaws. I love some of these more than the ones I listed above, btw:

Death Note (ep 25+. Nuff said)
    One Piece (bad pacing and bad animation ruins an otherwise BEST ANIME EVAR material)
    Code Geass (R2 was...OTT. End was amazing tho)
    Clannad + After Story (end is sort of asspullish. At least some people think so)
    Yu Yu Hakusho
    Slam Dunk

Others that I really, really like:
    Bakuman
    Kuroko no Basket
    Kill la Kill
    Hajime no Ippo
    Freezing
    Psycho Pass
    Welcome to NHK
    Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
    Fate Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works
    One Piece - Strong World & Film Z

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Cross Game. Incredibly charming.

Honorable Mentions:
    -Hajime no Ippo
    -Major
    -Detective Conan (prefer the manga, though)
    -Ashta no Joe
    -TeamFourStars' DBZ(shut up)

These are about the only anime I like, though.

Years
  • I don't watch a lot of anime, but I have a few that I really like.

-Sword Art Online
    -Fullmetal Alchemist
    -Soul Eater
    -Death Note
    -Naruto
    -Attack on Titan

I need to start watching more anime. :P

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Currently my favorites are Free!, Pandora Hearts, Kuroko's Basketball, and Kyoukai no Kanata.

Though, I'm watching about 15 series right now.. slowly.. I don't have a whole lot of time.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Sword Art Online is the only anime I'm watching at the moment, and it's absolutely fantastic. Before that, I was watching Megaman NT Warrior. Haven't completed it, though, as I lost interest midway through. I'd be watching even more anime, but unfortunately, I don't have enough time on my hands. ): For now, I could watch only one anime at a time.

derozio

Years
  • I don't understand why people like sword art online that much. :p Animation's pretty good, fights are somewhat good, music is done by one of my fave jap people around but...that's it. Story started off good. It had some massive potential. Concept was neat. But it then became a generic love story with a gary stu as the main lead soon. Maybe I ought to try out the novels.

And I just finished Anohana. I think that's a great series as well. Might as well make you cry a few times. Such a pure and innocent piece of work, haha. I didn't think I'd be watching a cute story with normal teenagers dealing with the trauma of losing someone that was very close to them all and then finally snapping out of it AND ENJOY IT SO MUCH.

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
    Years
  • And I just finished Anohana. I think that's a great series as well. Might as well make you cry a few times. Such a pure and innocent piece of work, haha. I didn't think I'd be watching a cute story with normal teenagers dealing with the trauma of losing someone that was very close to them all and then finally snapping out of it AND ENJOY IT SO MUCH.

OH MY GOOOD!!! I absolutely love ano hana XD such an under the radar anime! And I completely agree with you on SAO

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • I have too many to list so I'll just link this.

I don't understand why people like sword art online that much.

A harem series where the central character is a gamer. Shouldn't be hard to see why people like it even if it was cringe worthy Linkin Park trash.

Animation's pretty good

No it wasn't.

fights are somewhat good

If you like mindless attack spamming.

music is done by one of my fave jap people

Kaijura is great but the SAO music was really forgettable by her standards. Doubt she'll ever better that Noir OST, was perfect.

derozio

Years
  • Well, by good, I meant by regular anime standards. For example, I think the animation in SAO was better than in Freezing Vibration, for example, something which probably doesn't have that high of a budget. I'm not comparing it to something truly great like the animation in one piece movies or the gintama anime (fight scenes, mostly). Or FMAB/TTGL level animation.

Same goes for fights. I don't think it holds a candle to fights in, say, Hajime no Ippo or, heck, even One Piece. But, I've definitely seen worse.

And...I guess I agree on the last point. But her **** work is still better than a lot of stuff I hear in most anime. :p Sure, I don't remember any track standing out like Magia did from Madoka Magica or even stuff like Lacrimosa. But it was still good enough. Forgettable, yes, but still better than a lot of music in other series.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • I'm surprised that you'd say the Gintama fights are well animated because they're probably just as limited as those in SAO. Gintama has far better fight choreography and the art direction is noticeably great in places though so yeah, they are superior in a way but not fluidity of animation.

In the end it is down to enjoyment, if you do enjoy it these faults are easy to look past. I for one have a huge softspot for Symphogear franchise and animation wise it is bottom of the pyramid stuff.

Anyway, my problem with the series wasn't the below average animation or the average music, it was all characters. The only ones I vaguely liked were the pink haired girl and katana guy. Everything was so clinical and uninspired, the progression in the relationship was forced and cringe worthy and I'm not even going to get started on the antagonists.

Now for some conjecture. Without SAO we probably wouldn't have Log Horizon, so I suppose it isn't all bad.

derozio

Years
  • Well, I guess you're right. Frame by frame analysis might tell me that both use almost the same number of frames and stuff but...well, I guess I just consider Gintama fights better animated since they end up looking much better. I'm not someone with eyes that can spot a difference in frame rates unless the fps is highly unstable so. I know animation is a word that most people would associate with the fluidity of motion itself but I tend to see it as 'whatever looks/feels good'. Perfect example of this would be the DMC games. DMC4 ran at 60 fps on my pc. It was smooth. DmC from this year 2013 ran at like 30 fps. Half the frames. But the difference didn't 'feel' like it was all that huge. Me being able to 'feel' as if something is actually going super smooth even with lesser number of frames makes me slap the 'well animated/good, smooth fps' tag on the anime/game in question. Don't care about actual numbers as long as my eye doesn't noice any jagginess/lag.

As a matter of fact, I didn't like a single character from the anime. Not one. But it is still better than K-On! so I give it credit for that, at least. And relationships feeling forced is a large part of my dislike for the show. I mean, SAO should've decided what it wants to be and stick to its guns. It decided it wants to be an action, sci-fi, virtual reality game based anime, shoehorned romance in it, didn't develop the romance properly, became a harem over time. Had timeskips with kirito being the gary stu and levelling up like hell. Then it had the almost tentacle rape scene at the end. And the second main antagonist. Nuff said.

Should've stuck to being a love story and capitalized on it by developing that specific plot point more. Or should've been a serious shounen battle anime. Or a proper fantasy. But it tried to do too much and ended up not doing anything all too well. I state though that I have not read the novels and they can be excellent for all I know. The anime is...underwhelming, to say the least.

derozio

Years
  • In your opinion, you mean. K-On! is nothing more than a pile of turd in my eyes.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • The specials are objectively the best anime ever made though.

Favorite anime!

famillan

Addicted.
    Years
    • PA
    • Seen Dec 29, 2014
    Guh... So tough...

From childhood, it's always been Yu Yu Hakusho, Flame of Recca, Dragon Ball, Slam Dunk and Magic Knight Rayearth. Then the new ones came out such as Kuroko no Basket, Magi, and Arpeggio of Blue Steel.

There's a lot, but I can't think of them at the top of my head lol

Back