• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Favorite Generation: 1 or 2?

Kanto or Johto?

• Total voters

Clacla

karp karp karp
Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Mar 15, 2017
    I prefer the second generation overall.
    Johto has much more to do than Kanto, and G/S/C let you travel back to Kanto too, so it's almost two games in one.

Ruben967

Lights they blind me
    Years
  • Silver was my first game (some months later I got Yellow) and I got super addicted to it. I also loved the idea of travelling to another region post E4, and I got surprised when I found out that the 2nd region was the one from the Yellow game!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Johto! More fun region, better playstyle, more colors, steel + dark, day/night system, eggs and the choice to play as a girl. Easy.

pompayyy

Forever and Ever
    Years
  • I have to say Johto. My first Pokemon game was Diamond (yes, I was VERY late on the bandwagon!) so I don't have nostalgia for Gen 1. It just hasn't aged very well. For example, everybody knows that psychic was overpowered. Not to mention most of the sprites look soooo ugly (excluding yellow).

Though the glitches are very fun to exploit and mess around with, my vote goes to G/S/C for improving and expanding gameplay. In terms of progression, I think they are the best sequels ever made.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    The second generation games were more interesting to me than the first. In G/S/C, the locations were fun to explore, there was a day and night system, the Pokémon were better-looking (in my opinion), and there were mini-games. Also, R/B/Y only had access to the Kanto region. G/S/C had access to both Kanto and Johto. =)

Back