• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite Generation

Favorite Gen

• Gen 1

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Gen 2

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Gen 3

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Gen 4

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Gen 5

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Gen 6

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Gen 7

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Gen 8

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    What's your best generation you like so far thru pokemon and what you like about that generation?

Years
  • Nothing will ever beat 5 for me. I love the characters, the story, the music, the style of BW/BW2, a lot of the new Pokémon (Audino, Mienshao, Whimsicott, Serperior, Cinccino, and others!!), and more. my precious <3

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • Definitely Gen 4, introduced a lot of my favourite Pokémon and came with some great games along with plenty of things to do besides battling trainers with the Underground, Contests and Pokéathlon. Sinnoh games also have my favourite protagonist, favourite champion and favourite villainous team in the series.

Years
  • Arg.... I've been unable to decide between gen 3 & 6 and I can pick only 1 option....

gen 6 has more pokemon I like whereas I like gen 3 more as a region....
    gen 6 also introduced a new type, so suppose I'll go with that?
    idk, it's pretty much a coin toss between these two for me...

Years
    • Seen today
    Gen 4
    -P/S split adding depth to the gameplay and rescuing many Pokémon from the trash can because their typing didn't get along with their stats.
    -Further improvement of other previously weak Pokémon with evolutions that (unlike Megas) came to stay.
    -First good Ghost types since Gengar.
    -One of the best starter trios.
    -Good gyms and Elite Four.

Years
  • Gen 6 is my favorite and the more I look back on it and play the old games, the more I love it. It was peak playing with my buddies and we all learned together how to breed Pokemon for competitive and would spend a week building new teams then come together and see who made the best squad. I also really enjoyed the meta, Talonflame before the stupid Galewings nerf, Azumarill and Diggersby, Megas were fresh and exciting! I love the Gen 6 aesthetic as well and I am actually charging up my DS right now to play some Pokemon Y.

Although pretty hand-holdy, I feel like X and Y were the last main series titles with any replayability because you at least get some freedoms whereas Gens 7 and 8 don't let you do anything for yourself. ORAS were great games too, expanding the Mega Evo rosters and the PSS was a great tool for your online needs. I don't really have much negative to say other than I wish the games would just let you play and figure shit out for yourself.

Years
  • gen 4 represent

.... at the time of writing this post im aware i have a gen 5 avatar but that's not the point bc a lot of pokemon designs i love are from gen 4 lmao u_u

Years
  • Picking between Gen 3 or Gen 5 is a tough, tough choice. I gotta give it to Gen 3, though, since there's nostalgia and the fact that it was the generation that solidified my fandom in Pokemon (gen 1 introduced me to pokemon). And the games themselves can be described as the crossing between old-school and new-school. Sure, the P/S split and other whatnot was absent but it was still enjoyable. The spin-offs were great as well. Mystery dungeon was more than awesome.

Gen 5 was probably the peak of my enjoyment of Pokemon games. Gen 6 onwards never gave me the same thrill (though still solid games).

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I would say generation 3. I love the layout of the map, I enjoy most of the towns and cities, almost perfect starter pokemon, great champion, awesome batch of new pokemon, battle frontier, and the beginning of remakes.

Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2022
    That is a hard one, I played gen 3 the most, but I think I like gen 2 for both the nostalgia and the fact it has two regions in it.

Years
  • Arg.... I've been unable to decide between gen 3 & 6 and I can pick only 1 option....

gen 6 has more pokemon I like whereas I like gen 3 more as a region....
    gen 6 also introduced a new type, so suppose I'll go with that?
    idk, it's pretty much a coin toss between these two for me...

You can also play through Hoenn IN Gen 6, seems like a win win for you!

Years
  • You can also play through Hoenn IN Gen 6, seems like a win win for you!

aaaaaaah I didn't even think of the remakes, I was just thinking about the main games for each gen that added new mons xD
    Luckily I already voted gen 6 ^.^

But yea definitely a win-win xD

Years
  • Hoenn was also very good! ORAS included, I know it had its issues (the Battle Frontier thing was a bit mean of Game Freak haha) but it added so many cool features to Hoenn that I loved. I really, really miss when it was new sometimes, and when all my friends were making Blissey Super-Secret Bases so we could grind exp from them.

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2021
    Gen 3 but the nostalgia googles are on pretty tight for that game, I played over 500 hours on Ruby as a kid.

I have more in other games, but thats from like breeding eggs, not actual gameplay.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2021
    Gen 3 is my favorite because it was my most enjoyable experience playing a Pokemon game whether it was ORAS or the OG RSE titles. The game looked great. The PKMN were fun. And how can I forget, it has the best song ever in a PKMN game in May's Theme.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2021
    Gen 3 but the nostalgia googles are on pretty tight for that game, I played over 500 hours on Ruby as a kid.

I have more in other games, but thats from like breeding eggs, not actual gameplay.

Wow, I logged about 5 hundo hrs on Pokemon Ruby when I was a kid as well!!! I enjoyed Omega Ruby so much I put about 175-200 on that as well which is the most hours I've put on a Pokemon game since the original Ruby title. I don't think I would of put so many hours on Omega Ruby if it wasn't for the Dex Nav. That feature was so badass.

Years
  • Wow, I logged about 5 hundo hrs on Pokemon Ruby when I was a kid as well!!! I enjoyed Omega Ruby so much I put about 175-200 on that as well which is the most hours I've put on a Pokemon game since the original Ruby title. I don't think I would of put so many hours on Omega Ruby if it wasn't for the Dex Nav. That feature was so badass.

That's so much!! I think my most was around...150-200? So 500 is a ton. @_@ But I guess if you combine all my RS replays as a kid into one giant game file, it'd probably be well over 300. Loooved restarting and mixing secret bases with my main file.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2021
    That's so much!! I think my most was around...150-200? So 500 is a ton. @_@ But I guess if you combine all my RS replays as a kid into one giant game file, it'd probably be well over 300. Loooved restarting and mixing secret bases with my main file.

I played so much on RSE and ORAS because imo those are the best Pokemon games of them all. To me gen 3 is the best. Between the Pokemon, music, aesthetics, and just the overall nostalgia tied to the game, it can't be beat. Other generations can try to top/match the greatness of gen 3. But they will inevitably fail. This is not to say I haven't enjoyed other titles/generations, because I've enjoyed every single mainline Pokemon game I've played except SwSh/gen 8 which I haven't bothered to buy. It's just to say that RSE and ORAS holds a special place in my heart

Last edited:

UnvoicedUnveiled

Unvoiced Unveiled
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2022
    Generation 7! Despite a lot of people not liking the games, I absolutely adore generation 7. Alola feels like the most lived-in and alive region. I like the graphics, I like the console, I like the selection of Pokemon you can choose from. The story, routes, UI, all of it. Such fun games! I've played through Moon once and Ultra Moon twice and am currently trying to complete the Pokedex in this game too, I'm 51% through with it. All of the Jotoh games would be a close second, though. The Johtoh region is just extremely cozy to journey through, and I love the original GBC's graphics.

Back