• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite graphics card Manufacturer

Apple Inc.

This Changes Everything. Again
Years
  • Who is your favorite Graphics Card manufacturer? Intel? nVidia? ATI? Other?
    What do you like about them? Which one do you have and how is it?

I like nVidia's because they appear to give me the best graphics of anything I have used. I believe all of my computers with the exception of the Compaq Laptop use one. My Dell has a GeForce2 Ti 4200 at 64 MB of Video Ram (not the best but works for me). In my Macbook Pro I have the Geforce 8600M GT at 512 MB Video Ram.

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
  • I can't say I have a favourite. All I can say is that my current computer uses NVidia GeForce 8600GT and it works wonders, but my previous laptop had an ATI Mobility Radeon X300 and it handled anything I threw at it. (please note I'm not a gamer, though I do work a bit with graphics)
    Edit: whoops, forgot to check my own system specs, I've been quoting the newer machines so much for people lately that it's kinda ingrained in there.

Last edited:

Apple Inc.

This Changes Everything. Again
    Years
  • I can't say I have a favourite. All I can say is that my current computer uses NVidia GeForce 9800GT and it works wonders, but my previous laptop had an ATI Mobility Radeon X300 and it handled anything I threw at it. (please note I'm not a gamer, though I do work a bit with graphics)

9800GT? Isn't that the one in the newer Macbook Pros and only in previous 17" ones?

mewthree w/armor

The Stig - PC Site Admin
    Years
  • For high end gaming, Nvidia is where I go, I have an 8800GTS 640MB card, and it gets the job done.

For general video and older computers I tend to go ATI, I have a 2600PRO in my Backup Machine and its a trooper. Most of the time on the AGP systems I have sitting around I have ATI cards in them, the only disadvantage to them is the drivers for older ATI cards really do suck. I use Omega drivers to get any stability.

I've even used an XGI video card, a rare card from the mid 2000's. Picky about motherboards.

Under no circumstances, do I use Intel video. There just bad. So bad.

Rukario

Banned
    Years
  • well we did some comparisons and came to the conclusion that, for the money spent, ATI's HD 4800 series (a HD4850 512mb in my case) had the best performance, gfx and so on.

Attachments

• Favorite graphics card Manufacturer
      gpu-z_02232009.gif
      15.5 KB · Views: 14
    Last edited:

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
    Years
  • well we did some comparisons and came to the conclusion that, for the money spent, ATI's HD 4800 series (a HD4850 512mb in my case) had the best performance, gfx and so on.

This. I have the same, it works like a dream.

Gabri

m8
    Years
  • I prefer nVidia. Got an nVidia GeForce 9300M GS on this laptop and it runs everything I install here with a good speed, including games (CoD5 and Far Cry 2 run perfectly on this, GTAIV is a bit slow but it's playable).
    I always prefered nVidia because the best graphics I had were with nVidia cards. I've got an ATI Radeon 9600Pro in my desktop and it does good, but it's not enough to run the most recent stuff.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    my current computer uses NVidia GeForce 8600GT and it works wonders, but my previous laptop had an ATI Mobility Radeon X300 and it handled anything I threw at it.
    Exactly the same with me, though my nVidia card is a 7300LE.

Anyway, unlike Gerri I can and have decided that I prefer ATI, it's just unfortunate for me that their cards are less common on shop shelves. My reason would be the better features I've experienced.

Tsugaru

Twilight
    Years
  • Well at the moment I'm with an ATI 3870 X2 and this thing is a beast. I've used both nVidia previously and on other computers and don't have any problem with them. I had a SLI 9600GT setup and was great. Decided to try ATI, got 3870 X2 and I'm really happy with it.

Plays all games really well.

Flameguru

Pokemon: Metallic Silver
    Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    I love Nvidia, but with my current PC I got a good deal on an ATI Radeon HD 4870, so I use that.

My old PC had a Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT and it was pretty good for the price.

Back