• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Favorite Gym Leader

Serperion

The Fallen King
Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2014
    As opposed to a previous Post I saw "Which Gym Leader did you hate" this one is about Gym Leaders you like, there is no competition here it's simply who was your favorite Gym Leader, why were they your favorite and optionally if you could change their team but keep their type the same what would it be.

To be honest out of all Gym Leaders I think Blaine is the best, he is a true Fire Type Gym Leader I mean in Gen II and IV he trains in a Volcano, not like the sissy Flannery who trains near a Volcano. He has such a good line up in all battles it was a shame though he removed Arcanine between Kanto and Johto. He still has the best punchline in the first four Generations "Hah! You better have a Burn Heal!"

If I could change his teams this is what they would become

R/B/G/Y: Charizard Lv44, Rapidash Lv45, Magmar Lv45, Arcanine Lv48
    G/S/C: Magcargo Lv58, Typhlosion Lv58, Rapidash Lv57, Arcanine Lv60
    HG/SS: Magmortar Lv58, Magcargo Lv57, Camerupt Lv58, Arcanine Lv60

Long Live Arcanine

Sirfetch’d

I posted this in another thread about my favorite gym leader of all time, but it applies here too. Morty is my favorite because of how cool and collected he appears as a leader. I love his gym and I remember the difficulties of navigating through it as a kid when playing GSC. Overall a perfect leader.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Out of all the gym leaders in Pokémon G/S/C, Claire would have to be the one that I liked most. Not only was I fan of her unique look and never-say-die personality, she's provided me with quite a tough challenge as well. Her Dragonair were hard to take down, and her Kingdra was even harder. Kingdra's attacks were very powerful, and it used to be able to defeat almost all of my Pokémon single-handedly with its Hyper Beam. It took me about eight to nine tries before I was finally about to beat Claire. I liked Morty, too, but just not as much as Claire.

From the first generation games, Pokémon Red, Yellow, and Blue, my favorite would have to be Giovanni. He was the final gym leader of Kanto league, and he was also the boss of Team Rocket—one of the most villainous organizations to ever set into the Pokémon world. He was in complete control over Team Rocket, and they would do whatever he commanded them to. He was a very powerful man, haha. (: Plus, if you were able successfully defeat him in his gym, he would reward you with more than five-thousand in cash. That, if you ask me, is a lot of money!

Orifiel

Priestess
    Years
  • Well, that would be Morty and nothing more. I keep the reasons myself but I just like his ghost types and his get-up.

Years
  • In the first gen games, Blaine was easily my favorite Gym leader- not only for using Fire types, but because he had you answer trivia questions in order to have the opportunity to face him. Once G/S/C came around though, I didn't much care for his single room "Gym," and I'd mostly moved on from Fire types by then.

My favorite Gym leaders from G/S/C were Blue and Jasmine. Blue's not only the champion and rival of the previous game, but he's the only Gym leader you face that doesn't specialize in a single type, which is a refreshing change. As for Jasmine, she's one of the first Gym leaders that does something more than sit in her Gym 24/7, and I love that she uses Steel types, which seems the exact opposite of the type of Pokemon she'd use.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
    Years
  • my favorite has always been Blaine because of the quiz gym and Koga cause we are both ninjas. As for Johto Morty as he is the first ghost gym leader and the best.

Nymue

Draconic Neophyte
    Years
  • Sabrina! Her original designs are amazing, and she's just a badass. None of the other gen I/II gym leaders come close.

krabbypatz93

August Burns Red FTW
    Years
    • AZ
    • Seen Mar 19, 2014
    I would have to say that my absolute favorites back then was Falkner, he just looked really cool to me.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • Kanto

For the first generation, I'm honestly not sure at all. I wouldn't say that the gym leaders didn't stand out or appeal to me in any way, but I just never really got any opinions on them. I guess it's mainly because there wasn't ever really much to characterize their personalities through, so favourite/least favourite would almost always have to be based on their difficulty levels or their team, but I just... usually refrain from judging characters on that. There wasn't much either to really drag them apart from each other conceptually, apart from how they usually just had something related to their typing-specialization to them, which was almost always expressed through the gym anyways :p

In the end, I reckon I'd have to go with Blaine though. It's not because I specifically like him more than any of the others, and looking at him as a character, I think he's actually one of the least defined. But I really enjoyed his gym, with the Pokemon trivia questions and whatnot. Fire types used to be my all time favourite (partly because I loved them on my team, and usually had something to counter them as well ;)), so that just made it even better. And while I may not have liked the Pokemon mansion itself, I liked the concept of not just making the gym something you can walk into, but actually having your prove that you're capable of taking on the challenge. And then there's Blaine himself. As I said, he's not very much a defined character, but for some reason, I've always really liked old people in games, since they often have interesting characters, have some special powers, or just have amazing beards/mustaches, and even though it's only really the mustache that plays through with that when it comes to Blaine, just the fact that he's an old man gives him a plus :p

His team was also super interesting and fun to battle. Like I mentioned, I really used to love Fire types, and his was just full of all the awesome Fire types, which made the battle so much more enjoyable. And while he may not have been hard, as long as you had a relatively decent Water type with Surf, without it, he proved to be quite the challenge at times. I mean dat Arcanine and Rapidash. Glad I brought Burn Heal ;)

But yeah, that's about what makes it for him. I guess one last thing that's basically the icing on the cake, is his style in fashion. I mean that pimpin' hat in HG/SS though. What a classy old jeezer ;)

Johto

I could just go ahead and be biased here and say that Falkner is my favourite because birds. I mean, birds a pretty darn cool. But really, he kinda falls into the category of not very defined characters like most of the first generation gym leaders, and I just never really found any reason outside of the Flying types to really like him as a gym leader. I saw the episodes of the anime featuring him as well, and neither his little side-plot nor the battle between him and Ash really stood out to me. And I actually seem to vaguely recall him being a new gym leader in the anime as well, so yeah, even less experience on that front :p So while he'll still be at the top of my favourites of the second generation list entirely due to them birds, I can't really claim him to be my favourite.

Nah, I'm actually gonna have to go with Pryce here. AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS WITH OLD MEN, K! But yeah, again, from a viewpoint of the games, he never really stood out much either, and his team consisted of Ice types, so he was kinda doomed to never be a threat (Sorry for Ice type fans, but they have waaay too many weaknesses, and when controlled by the in-game AI, there's just not much threatening about them :(). But his anime appearance, unlike Falkner's, really stood out to me for some reason. I don't remember if anything ever really hinted at it in the games, but I always kinda pictured him as a nice guy, but when we got to the anime, he was completely cold-hearted (you know, because ice. clever writers!), and he didn't care much about his Pokemon. This came from an experience in his childhood, where he thought that his best poke-friend, a Mamoswine I believe, ran away from him. It turns out however, as Ash conveniently found out, that the Mamoswine had gotten lost or something, and had been frozen in a cave for what must have been like 50 years. But yeah, they melt the ice surrounding the Mamoswine, and Pryce starts caring for Pokemon again, and became the character I actually pictured him to be. And I think that's part of the reason I liked him so much. That I actually managed to get a picture of his character that they presented him with in the anime as well, and that aside, he also had a really touching side-plot to him, which I reckon we rarely see with a lot of the side-character gym leaders. But yeah, that's pretty much the reason I like him so much, but I guess that's mainly because the gym leaders of Johto never really left much of an impression on me :p

Back