• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite kanto gym leader

Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2012
    whos your favorite kanto gym leader? mines is blaine, hes such a funny old man, and i like fire pokemon

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Mine are Brock and Misty, because they played prominent roles in the anime as Ash's traveling partners.

Lt. Col. Fantastic

The Arianator
    Years
  • In Gen 2/4, Gary Effing Oak, aka Blue.

In good ol' gen one? Probably Misty, because I thought she was cute when I was little.

Mentalii

Back
    Years
  • Giovanni. As the boss of the Team Rocket, he's to my mind the most awesome of the 1st gen. I like this guy.

Guest123_x1

For me, I'd say Misty is my favorite of the Kanto Gym Leaders. As I've stated every now and then, she was my first anime crush, which was more than 10 years ago.

smurf

Veteran Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2015
    My fav is gary or in ol gen 1 it would be Lt surge idk why i just like him

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    Sabrina. Her design is awesome and her gym was fun, although it got annoying after five minutes in there. Oh, and I love Psychic-types. 8)

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    For me it would have to be Surge due to his steroid addicted Raichu in Yellow which took an eternity of unmitigating hell to defeat for me at the time, only when I got lucky with my Butterfree when all of my other guys were down and I was out of healing items did I finally win against that thing with a critical Confusion dropping it from yellow health to dead. Giovanni and Koga were also pretty cool but they didn't give me that same level of challenge sadly.

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2012
    Misty, because she's one of my favorite characters in general <3 Besides her, I would have to say Erika :) I agree with you though elavate7 ... Blaine is hilarious!

NV

Dracon Leader
    Years
  • not counting the "anime" as cannon anymore since its been going in circles for years now.
    So just from my experience in the games I'd say Sabrina or Koga because of thier genius in gym design.
    Mostly Koga since Sabrina kind-of cheated to become her towns gym leader.
    I'm sure his daughter has a great personality too.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • Giovanni. I always found it interesting how they decided to use the main villain of the games as a final gym leader, so it came completely unexpected. Although since you had battled him a few times prior to the gym battle, you kiiinda knew which Pokémon that were good against his, so it gave less of an experience when battling him, as the final gym leader of the games.

Brock was also pretty close, mainly because he was the first of all the gym leaders ever. Also all of his great moments in the anime is one thing that have made me like him so much, and I always thought he was a pretty cool gym leader.

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2012
    Olli, absolutely love the sig. :S.

OT: My favorite gym leader would probably have to be Giovanni as well. Simply because the first time i played Pokemon, when you reach the point where you had to challenge his gym, I never knew you had to return to that first town. And then to see him as the gym leader caught me completely off guard :S.

Also, i always secretly wanted to be part of Team Rocket ^^.

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2012
    Lt. Surge, he was such a pain to beat, plus he uses electric types which happen to be one of my favs.

Years
  • I like how Brock and Erika are so easy-going, but you've gotta love how stereotypical Lt. Surge is. This is difficult... I like Sabrina too...

I guess Gary Oak Blue wins it, solely because he built his gym out of legos.

Abi~

-insert title here?-
    Years
    • Age 29
    • USA
    • Seen Sep 23, 2012
    I always liked Surge because he uses my favorite Pokemon, Raichu. And I just liked him in general, I guess.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2020
    Lt. Surge, because he's hilarious. Runner-up is Gary in Gen 2.

soulavenger

A Keen Observer
    Years
  • Well, I think each Gym Leader has his/her own charms but my absolute favourite has to be Misty because of her fierce competitiveness and love for water pokemons :D

Back