• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite/Least Favorite Game Genre?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    We all have those games that we like and the ones we don't. Which genre of games do you find yourself enjoying the most? Or failing at the most?

For me, I'd say I'm quite partial to RPG games. They're the only ones I seem to beat without too much frustration and yelling at the game. They're just difficult enough to keep me on my toes. As for my least favorite genre, I don't really have a least favorite, but I'm no good at shooter games. I'm alright with Goldeneye though...well, that's just judging by memory, haha.

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2010
    Favorite: Definitely Sidescrolling shooters.

Least: Bland, unoriginal FPS's. Too many of those nowadays.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Favorite: RPG/Adventure games. As such, Pokémon and Metroid are on that list (Pokémon because... well, you're on a Pokémon forum, you should know; Metroid because that's it's bread and butter. The 3D in Prime just enhances it).

Least Favorite: Most unoriginal shooters; Halo, Metroid Prime 1/2/3 and TF2 excluded (Halo because there's a story mode which I've never bothered to do since I only have the demo for Combat Evolved; Metroid Prime because that's simply a great game, with tons of plot and backstory; TF2 because... it's TF2).

OH AND SPORTS GAMES

Last edited:

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Favorites: RPGs of all shapes and sizes, Turn-based Strategy, some FPSes.

Least Favorite: Sports games. Unless it's like Mario Strikers, it won't keep my attention.

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2010
    Favorites: RPGs of all shapes and sizes, Turn-based Strategy, some FPSes.

Least Favorite: Sports games. Unless it's like Mario Strikers, it won't keep my attention.

Oh, I forgot about sports. I dislike that a lot. Especially the fact that there's a new madden or fifa every year.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    YES. How could I have forgotten sports? Okay, I do have a least favorite genre then. I don't see the point in playing a sports game when sports were actually meant to be played physically. You know. With your body. That's about as lazy as you can get right there. Guess I forgot that category since it shouldn't really have to be one.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Favorite: RPGs and Metroidvania style adventure games. The latter often overlaps with the Zelda series' style of gameplay as well. What can i say about these genres that haven't been said by others in this thread. When I was a kid, while other kids my age were addicted to Mortal Kombat, I was fully engrossed in the world of Super Metroid.XD

Least favorite: FPSs, especially more recent ones that use dual analog controls that make me fail harder than I ever thought possible with my lack of coordination. >_> I also tend to pass on sports games unless they highly exaggerate the sport in question (like any Mario sports game). Why would I play a video game about a sport that I could just go outside and play myself? XD

Years
    Kicks:

Puzzle and action-adventure.

Like the Lara Crofts and Columns games

Sucks:

Sports games other than golf, racing and Mario sports

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    Not really a fan of RPGs (exept the Pokemon series)

Zelda - Ocarina of time is the best game ever.

Hmmm cant think atm,

XxRogueTrainerxX

Needs a better username
    Years
    Favorites: Mostly RPGs and shooters: Castlevania series, Legend of Zelda series, Fire Emblem series, Final Fantasy III-VI, Resident Evil series, CoD series, and more. Currently, my favorite game is Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn.

Games that I want to throw into the fireplace: Mario sports, Mario party, Guitar Hero (even though I'm good on expert), and pretty much any video game made after a movie.

Favorite: RPGs and Metroidvania style adventure games. The latter often overlaps with the Zelda series' style of gameplay as well. What can i say about these genres that haven't been said by others in this thread. When I was a kid, while other kids my age were addicted to Mortal Kombat, I was fully engrossed in the world of Super Metroid.XD

Least favorite: FPSs, especially more recent ones that use dual analog controls that make me fail harder than I ever thought possible with my lack of coordination. >_> I also tend to pass on sports games unless they highly exaggerate the sport in question (like any Mario sports game). Why would I play a video game about a sport that I could just go outside and play myself? XD

Heather is easily one of my favorite units in Radiant Dawn.

Fury194

.___________________.
    Years
    Favorite - Either Platforming or Rythym-based games.

Least - First Person Shooters. I don't think they're bad, but for some reason I feel like after I played one i played them all most of the time.

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
    Favorite: 3rd person Shooters, action-adventure, and turn based stategy. Games like Red dead redemption, Ratchet & clank (I like the PS2 versions most, like up your arsenal and gladiator/deadlocked), Cid meier's civilization revolution, advance wars/fire emblem and final fantasy Tactics advance 1 And 2

Least favorite: Sports, the FIFA series are one of the most popular games here, but I've never owned any one of them. I don't own any sports game come to think of it.
    FPS, I don't know why but I grow tired of them real quick, they all seem to get extremely repetitive after a few kills. The only fps I really liked was F.E.A.R., because it scared the **** out of me.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Favorite: RPGs: Puzzle, some FPS.

Least favorite: Rhythm, Sports.
    This very much includes the Mother 3 battle system. As original as it is, it's annoying.
    YES. How could I have forgotten sports? Okay, I do have a least favorite genre then. I don't see the point in playing a sports game when sports were actually meant to be played physically. You know. With your body. That's about as lazy as you can get right there. Guess I forgot that category since it shouldn't really have to be one.

Where I am it's kinda hard to get a full team of willing association football players. Still though, sports games are absolute shite though. You're essentially paying $60 every year for updated rosters, which should be released as DLC.

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
    Years
    My least favorite genre would have to be sports games. I'm not a big sports person, so playing the games doesn't really help.

My favorite genres, are platformers, RPG's, and Rhythm-based games

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    Favorite: "Unoriginal" FPS
    ...What do you mean why? They're overly popular for a good reason. ;o

Least Favorite: Sports, followed by FPSes that attempt to be RPGs. GAME RUINING PLZ

Esmas

General
    Years
    Favourite: Any Role-Playing games, Music, Adventure (or whatever Mario is xD;) and some Shooters.

Least Favourite: I can't really think of any. Probably any that I haven't heard of ;3

Eternal Nightmare

Stunningly Handsome
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2015
    Favorite: RPG because most are difficult and leave me making sure my units are safe eg Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy, Mother, Tales of, Kingdom Hearts

Adventure/action-adventure because I love a good adventure game with a good story eg Legend of Zelda, Metroid

Platformers because jumping from platform to platform is fun and scary eg Mario, Sonic, Rayman

Fighting because I love Love LOVE a good challenge because I'm highly competitive eg Super Smash Bros, Soul Calibur, Tekken, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, BlazBlue

And I like to play games base of anime or have anime like appeal to them

Least: UNORIGINAL Fps because they are basically the same thing after same thing. Add some orginality to it (this does not include Metroid, Halo, Goldeneye, Metal Gear, and Gears of War)

Sports because why sit down and play a game of basketball really. There is no calories burned in that. Get your fat ass up and go outside to play that sport why don't you.

And....I think I'm done

Back