• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite movie composers?

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Who are your favorite movie composers? What are your favorite pieces they've composed? What's your favorite work of theirs (album)?

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    The only two I can actually think of are John Williams and Andrew Lloyd Weber. Both have composed music for several different productions (in Weber's case I think it's more of plays than movies). Williams I know from Star Wars and Harry Potter, and Weber from Phantom of the Opera, which, as you probably know, revolves around the music so it better be good haha.

Years
  • 70's & 80's = John Williams, no contest.

90's through Present = Hans Zimmer, no contest.

I mean come on. We're talking about Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, The Lion King, The Dark Knight Trilogy, Gladiator, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc. Music from cultural icons in film. Zimmer is sitting on the composer throne right now, and he ought to.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Bernard Herrmann is undoubtedly the best. When you compose the amazingly dispate scores for Psycho, Vertigo and Taxi Driver, you're the best in my mind. Marvin Hamlisch comes close, what with his honky-tonk plinky-plonk piano music for The Sting and The Informant! but that's mainly because I'm a sucker for pianos. When it comes to more modern composers, Jon Brion, Cliff Martinez and Carter Burwell never fail to surprise me. Alexandre Desplat is very dependable, but is often capable of real musical majesty (e.g. the Birth score). There's Joe Hisaishi, famed Ghibli composer as well, and countless others that I'm forgetting. But those are the ones that spring to mind.

Controversial?

Bored musician, bad programmer
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 11, 2020
    If anyone says James Horner I was personally tear their ****ing throat out.

If anyone says John Williams I will propose to them in an orchestral performance of the Star Wars soundtrack at the Royal Albert Hall. :P

So John Williams wins.

Back