• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite non-starter Fire, Water and Grass types

Derpy.H

Derpy - The Ponymon Elite
    Years
    • Seen Feb 10, 2013
    Fire: Ninetales
    Water: Slowking
    Grass: Tangela
    All of these are some epic non-starters in my opinion.

Seventh Sea

Plesiosaur Fanatic
    Years
    May as well put this on

Grass:
    Breloom) It is both extremely cute and awesomely powerful.

Water:
    Shellos) It is the most adorable thing on the face of the earth.
    No debates.
    Ever.

Fire:
    Favorite non-starter Fire, Water and Grass types
    Litwick) It is adorable and I love its type combination. It's evolutions are epic too.

So basically I just picked the cutest pokemon of each type. No debates. These are the cutest. Ever.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    None of the starters are my favourites for any of these types so that's easy. XD

Cherrim is my favourite grass types, which is obvious if you've known me for more than ten minutes. Litwick is my favourite fire type (possibly tied with Houndour). And Vaporeon is my favourite water type. The first was an easy choice. The fire types... I don't like most fire types--I don't dislike them either, they just don't stand out to me--but those two are great so I can usually never pick exactly which one I like best. (While we're at it, I like Chandelure a whole lot too.) Vaporeon used to be my favourite Pokemon back in first gen when I'd flip-flop between it and Raichu for overall favourite so its standing is probably leftover from that.

infersaime

Come and get me
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    For water I choose Suicune since he is my favourite Water and legendary I like his backstory the northen wind.

For Fire Arcaninene I alwzys loved him when I was younger

And for Grass breloom It's one of the two pokemon I made my "partner" when I decided not to use my starter.

blue

gucci
    Years
    Water - Lumineon, I just love it's design and it appeals to me.
    Fire - Rapidash, since Gen I I've thought this Pokémon was fierce and beautiful.
    Grass - Victreebel, Something about it makes me like it.

Years
    Fire - Ninetales (it's my favourite pokémon full stop never mind just fire lol!)

Water - Vaporeon (it's been a fave of mine ever since Pokémon Stadium I totally fell in love with it haha)

Grass - Parasect (I use it on a lot of my teams and it's saved my butt more times than I'd like to mention lol)

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    Fire: Houndoom has been my favourite Fire critter since Gen II. I love its typing, its stats, its design, its movepool... well, everything about it! I always imagine it being like the Pokemon version of Cerberus, which is kinda cool!

Water: This one's really hard, as Water's easily my favourite type. There's Kingdra, Milotic, Lapras and Lanturn duking it out for the win... and I'd probably have to go with Lapras as the victor. I've used one in every game when I had the chance to, and I've never regretted it. As well as this, I still have memories of liking it in the anime as Ash's transportation. Maybe the nostalgia is a powerful factor.

Grass: This is the opposite of the one above, as I really really dislike Grass critters. The only one that comes close to getting my approval (ha!) is Cradily. It's slow and ugly and doesn't have a great moveset... but there's something strangely endearing about it. In any event, it's certainly much better than Armaldo!

voltianqueen

WITH SEAWATER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • TN
    • Seen Feb 9, 2018
    Fire: Definitely Arcanine! He's been one of my favorite Pokemon from the start.

Water: Floatzel! When DP came I out, I was really excited to know that there was a weasel Pokemon. I caught one in Pearl and named her after my ferret at the time.

Grass: Grass is tough since I'm not a huge fan, but I think I'll say Exeggutor! I use him a lot in the gen 1 games.

Years
    Fire: My favorite is Ninetales. I always preferred it over Arcanine, and through the generations it's still my favorite Fire type.

Water: Toss up between Kyogre and Wailord. Both were main stays in my party on Sapphire, and it's the only time where I can remember having two Pokemon of the same type on my team.

Grass: Aside from starters, I rarely use the Grass type. If I had to pick, I'd go with Breloom, since it was the first Shiny Pokemon that I caught (as a Shroomish).

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Fire: Flareon: Looks nice and I like the Japanese name: Booster. Probably a strong contender in the first generation metagame, but I wouldn't yet know.

Water: Lanturn: Possessor of my single favourite type combination; very versatile.

Grass: Leavanny: The typing seems to work oddly well for the most part. I prefer it over Parasect as a matter of appearance and its ability to attack more strongly.

Last edited:

SuperSaiyanII

Cool Story Bro!!
    Years
    Fire - Arcanine. If I'm not using Charizard or Typhlosion then Arcanine would definitely be my next choice as a fire type because not only is it awesome looking but it's stats are pretty good too.

Water - Kingdra. It can just as or even more effective in battle then any of the starters due to it's balanced stats and it's typing that only gives it one weakness.

Grass - Breloom. I'm not a big fan of many of the grass type pokemon that aren't starters but the one that really became a favorite of mine back in 4th gen. was Breloom. Nowadays, Breloom can have the technician ability which can make it even more dangerous in battle.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    I'm not a fan of starer Pokemon anyway so this is no biggy for me!

Fire - I honestly don't like many Fire types, but one I have always quite liked since its release was Pansear. That's about it though, I honestly don't like Fire types much at all. :3

Water - Now this one is a hard choice! I'll have to go with Buizel since that's my all time favourite Pokemon due to being both tough and adorable and also being a weasel; but it was a close call between a lot of Pokemon here.

Grass - Another hard choice! Tbh I adore the majority of Grass types, but I guess my favourite is Sewaddle. It's just sooooo freaking adorable <3 Plus when it evolves it has so much power and a very interesting evolution line. :3

pknight96

Massive Unidentified Terrestrial Organism
    Years
    Fire: This is the toughest for me, as there are very few Fire types I dislike. Although slightly, I'll go with Volcarona. I fellin love with it as soon as I saw it. Arcanine in a close Second, followed by Magmortar.
    Water: Sharpedo. It's a shark that's a torpedo. And Dark. Octillery comes in second, followed by Quagsire.
    Grass: I don't like grass-types much. I've always view them as inferior to Fire and Water, but there are a few I don't mind. So I go with Leafeon as my favorite, followed by Exeggutor and Victreebel.

Back