• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite Pokemon Generation

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2014
    Hello Guys,

I just wanted to ask a question to all of you Pokemon Fans out there. What is your favorite Pokemon Generation?

In my opinion, my favorite one is the 4th generation, which is HeartGold and SoulSilver. I am not really sure if they are really considered generations, but I will talk about them any ways.

Reasons why they are considered my favorite generation:

1. They have TWO regions to explore, which includes Johto and Kanto.

2. They have hundreds of Pokemon, which includes legendaries, from Johto, Kanto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh.

3. Your Pokemon could now be following you behind your back throughout your whole adventure, which was a dream for every Pokemon gamer out there.

4. You get to store any of your Pokemon in a device called the "PokeWalker" which will level up your Pokemon stored inside by just walking any where you go.

These are my one hundred percent opinionated opinions about why I love the 4th Generation, which is HeartGold, and SoulSilver. Comment what is your favorite generation, and why.

Let's just hope they come up with a remake of Ruby, and Sapphire soon.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
  • I think a lot of people will agree that Gen III is the best. Great story line, good new Pokemon, secret base, two cool antagonists, dive. Ruby, Saphire and Emerald had the whole shabang!

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2014
    To tell you the truth, what I like about Gen 3 were the Legendary Pokemons. They were the ones that I found more awesome than any Gen I have played.

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2014
    I grew up with Red, Blue and Yellow and loved the first season of the anime absolutely. So guess what! lol

1st generation for me!

Years
  • You can't compare gameplay because the newer will always be better. On story, Pokémon design I vote for Gen 1. It's the Gen where I like the most Pokémon (Gen 2, 3 and 6 are runner-ups). It could be nostalgia but even now I try to get all my favourite Gen1 Pokémon on Pokémon X.
    It was new, refreshing and the start of a franchise, so yeah..

On games, well Gen 6 not only because it's newer, but you can obtain so many Pokémons and the Pokémons from Gen 6 themselves are awesome as well.

slim spazzy

Kik: spazzyda59
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    According to me i have 3 generations that i like equally ! I love gen 1 because of it's classic storylinee and I love gen 2 because of the improved graphics and the return of the kanto region !And i simply love gen 4 Because the new Pokemon looked coool and the Evil team in the game had a more solid objective than gen 3

Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2014
    Gen 1 is my least favorite. I think it's overrated, and doesn't deserve the praise most people give it. I find the region to be extremely boring, and I also find most of the Pokemon to be boring too. However, my favorite Pokemon is from Kanto, but Dragonite alone cannot save Kanto imo. I also never really cared for Team Rocket, because they're really just a bunch of flashy poachers who think they're evil. What was the most bad thing they did anyway? Oh, they took over a Radio Tower. I didn't care about the landscape of the region either aside from Cerulean City and a few routes. It's not all hate though, as I did enjoy Red and Blue's soundtrack. It has the best Gym Leader music imo, and I've yet to listen to anything in the other games to change my mind. The Champion music is also really good, but I still prefer Lance's/Red's theme to most Champion music. But yeah, overall I really don't like Gen 1 despite it being the Gen that started it all.

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2015
    It's a tough one. All of the generations have enough Pokemon that I like to like the generation as a whole... but I particularly liked Generation 3. I'd say Gen 3 was probably my favourite although my favourite Pokemon (Lucario) came from Gen 4 and I don't particularly dislike any specific generation.

I'd say Generation 3 is the best, followed closely by Generation 1 and Generation 4 (because Gen 4 released a bunch of bad ass evolutions to the already nice Gen 1)

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
  • You can't compare gameplay because the newer will always be better.

Actually, I consider the gameplay from Generation IV (Well, DPPt at least) to be a major step back from that of Generation III. It was just way too slow, and this was where the game developers decided to start making the games super-linear with a bunch of nonsensical blocked-off areas. Also, this was the generation that started the unfortunate tradition of handholding you through roughly half of the game.

Anyway, I'd have to say Generation III was the best. It had the coolest Pokemon, the best region, and one of the toughest Elite Fours in the series. Plus, it's the only region where I like all 3 starters.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Generation three would have to be my favorite. Locations that were in these games were all unique and amazing, the storyline was fun and easy to get dragged into, and Pokémon that gen-three's introduced were all simply stunning. Of all third-generation Pokémon, my personal favorite would have to be Metagross. I'm also quite a big fan of Aggron. :]

Years
  • I love the 1st generation..i think it's the best because there are a lot of my favourite pokemon like charmander for exemple :)

Years
  • Second gen, I never beat Gold, Silver, or Crystal. But I always wanted a copy after playing my cousin's. I also really like Heartgold and Soulsilver, for mutual reasons. Oh and btw, you go to Kanto in Gold, Silver, and Crystal.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Gen II and Gen V.

Johto and the gen II games are still fun to play. Simple but ingenious somehow. Their graphics is also the most enticing for me, might be nostalgia but I'm not at all as thrilled about the 3D of the newer games as most seem to be. That's generally true for a lot of games I like; old age doesn't work negatively on me when it comes to video games.

Gen V is also a lot of fun, definitely a step up from Gen IV imo. Not sure why, I can't put a finger on it actually. Maybe it's the plot and overall flow of the games. And also the deeper stories and more thought out characters. It was a good, fresh start for the pokémon franchise.

εcho.

The silver ninetales
    Years
  • I think my overall favourite would have to be 2nd Gen. My Crystal game was my prized possession for a long time and the HG/SS remakes are definitely at the top of my list. I really enjoyed the gameplay and how you got to explore both regions, not just Johto. They also introduced some of my favourite Pokemon, Houndoom, Espeon and Umbreon.

Second favourite would have to be Gen 3, I really liked the region and the storyline.

Years
  • I'll side with the plurality of other posters in this thread and contend that Gen III's the best (including the often overlooked spinoffs). The two surrounding gens, II and IV, are roughly tied for second place in my eyes.

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
    Years
  • Gen II and Gen V.

Johto and the gen II games are still fun to play. Simple but ingenious somehow. Their graphics is also the most enticing for me, might be nostalgia but I'm not at all as thrilled about the 3D of the newer games as most seem to be. That's generally true for a lot of games I like; old age doesn't work negatively on me when it comes to video games.
    Your opinion is a lot more accurate than you think and isn't simply based on nostalgia. I can only speak for the 3rd gen games because I know their frame rate, but it is 60FPS. You know what the newer games get? Half that. The 3D was a big step and is a nice change, but as of now it still looks more pixelated than the older games. The 3rd gen games look very vibrant, polished, and fluid. It's also my favorite gen. Hoenn for the win!

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
    Years
  • Like the plethora of people here, Gen. 3 is my favorite. Not only is it the one I remember the most, but it contains some of my favorite Pokemon, like Kyogre and Blaziken as an example. Now, you could call me nostalgic or some crap, but these games did have a pretty big portion of my childhood, all 3 of them, really.

Just a few reasons to back up my statement:

- Secret Bases
    - Introduction of Double Battles
    - Berries
    - Story that incorporated the legendary mascots more than S/G/C and R/B/G/Y did.
    - Battle Frontier (specifically the Battle Factory, love it.)
    - Most diverse event Pokemon encounters (Chasing Mew, getting the Aurora Ticket, Ho-oh and Lugia.)
    - Last but not least: Those puzzles for the Regis! DANG, those were creative!

Back