• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite Rival!

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
  • Okay, we all know that in all Pokemon games have a certain rival.
    Which that we sometimes hate because it gets in our way. But even though that happens.
    Who is your favorite rival in all the Pokemon Gen & Why? I think for me, my favorite rival
    might be May & May only! <3 I don't know why, but I just love her Pokemon together with
    her outfit in the R/S/E game. How about you, who is your favorite Rival?

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2017
    My favorite rival was Gary in red and blue, because I really liked him in the anime, so I was connected to him.

GeraldTheTheroiest

Pokemon Theroiest
    Years
    • Seen May 27, 2015
    Okay, we all know that in all Pokemon games have a certain rival.
    Which that we sometimes hate because it gets in our way. But even though that happens.
    Who is your favorite rival in all the Pokemon Gen & Why? I think for me, my favorite rival
    might be May & May only! <3 I don't know why, but I just love her Pokemon together with
    her outfit in the R/S/E game. How about you, who is your favorite Rival?

Mine would be Silver,He looks awesome,is the son of Giovanni and actually has development.He starts out as someone that just wants to get stronger and stronger, but eventually he learns to care for his pokemon, and in the optional events this shows with crobat who only eveolves through max happiness.

Lesqx

eRepublik Player
    Years
  • Meh..
    For me the best rival is Gary in Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green. I always have problem with him ( the worst in HQ team rockets. i dont know why.. :D), great pokemons, looks good too. And "Smell Ya!" - the best sentence ever! {XD}

Years
  • Since you're asking about the in-game rivals, I'll move this over to Pokemon Gaming Central for you.

As for myself, I'd say that my favorite rival is probably Silver. We didn't find out a whole lot about him in the original games, other than see seemed to be a troubled kid who hated Team Rocket, too. Once we find out that he's actually the son of Giovanni though, it makes a little more sense. He also seems to have the most character progression out of any of the rivals, which is always a good thing compared to the static personality of most other characters in the games.

MOVED.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

Cheren. His competitiveness just drives me all the way forward. We could be best friends in real life lol.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • My favorite is definitely Silver. Back when I played Crystal, I legitimately disliked him. Like when we would battle, I wanted my Pokemon to direct their attacks at him rather than his Pokemon. What a jerk that guy was.

Then when I did the Celebi time travel event and saw him with Giovanni, I started to like him. And I noticed he slowly started to get nicer as the game progressed.

Overall, he's really a fascinating character. His relationship with his father is really complicated, and it shows in his character. And of all the rivals, he's the most enigmatic, because he's the only one with no close ties or relationships with anyone in the game (except Giovanni, who himself is pretty mysterious).

<3 you Silver!

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    Whoever said Silver, I love you guys.

Honestly no other rival even comes close; everyone since has been some template of the following:

"hurr let's be friends, we're friends now you know, don't you love pokemon, friend? let's have a friendly fight out of friendship for the friendly sake of FRIENDSHIP OK"

It's almost hard to believe they had ever made a rival who was the son of a crime overlord and actually stole his own starter, caring only about forceful power until he was taught otherwise by you, the player. Silver screamed depth whereas every character since has been as shallow as a rain puddle. I never liked any rival after him (Hugh seemed slightly intriguing but he fell flat too).

I honestly believe whoever wrote for the second gen games never wrote again for the later games haha. I like all the Pokemon games don't get me wrong (except maybe Black/Black2), but there was just so much right they did with Gold/Silver that they never quite did for any of the others.

Silver4Prez2016!!

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Whoever said Silver, I love you guys.

Honestly no other rival even comes close; everyone since has been some template of the following:

"hurr let's be friends, we're friends now you know, don't you love pokemon, friend? let's have a friendly fight out of friendship for the friendly sake of FRIENDSHIP OK"

It's almost hard to believe they had ever made a rival who was the son of a crime overlord and actually stole his own starter, caring only about forceful power until he was taught otherwise by you, the player. Silver screamed depth whereas every character since has been as shallow as a rain puddle. I never liked any rival after him (Hugh seemed slightly intriguing but he fell flat too).

I honestly believe whoever wrote for the second gen games never wrote again for the later games haha. I like all the Pokemon games don't get me wrong (except maybe Black/Black2), but there was just so much right they did with Gold/Silver that they never quite did for any of the others.

Silver4Prez2016!!

This.

The friendly rival thing was cute at first, but it felt lacking, and by now whenever a rival appears I'm just like "Uggh..."

Blue was a bit dark like Silver, but he was just rude, and a bit over-competitive. What I got from Silver was outright hostility.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Blue > Silver > Barry > Hugh > Calem/Serena > Wally > Bianca > Brendan/May > Cheren

I think Blue was the most natural and realistic rival. He was cocky and arrogant, someone that you could respect at times, and someone you just wanted to be better than because of the condescending attitude he had towards your attitude.

Silver was the most original rival, I think. He lived that life, he stole a Pokémon, and caused trouble. He was the only one that was generally bad. He mistreated his Pokémon. He was someone with a backstory, and an interesting one at that.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I really liked Blue. Most in-games rivals were friendly to you, but him—he was a taunter. He made you feel as if he was more superior, which helped to increase your motivation in becoming a better trainer. Blue was also one of the toughest champions I had ever faced. His team was all-around perfect; his Pokémon were able to cover each other's weaknesses pretty nicely. Of all his Pokémon, Pidgeot would have to be the hardest. It constantly used Sand-Attack, which reduced your accuracy and made it difficult to land any hits on it. Once your accuracy was completely down (to the point where you absolute cannot attack), it would finish you off with Aerial Ace and Quick Attack. To defeat Pidgeot, you constantly had to switch your Pokémon around and avoid being struck by Sand-Attack. d:

I also liked Silver. He's a little similar to Blue personality-wise, but his matches were bit more difficult. When I first played Pokémon Silver, I didn't know that he would show up at the end of Victory Road, and therefore wasn't prepared. When he walked towards me and challenged me to a battle, I immediately lost and got sent back to the Pokémon Center. Since I didn't save in Victory Road at all, I had to go through the entire thing all over again. It was quite frustrating.

Beyond Infinity

Couldn't Outfox a Donkey
    Years
  • In terms of the "best" rival, Silver has to win due to his development, backstory and general attitude.

However, since it is favourite rivals, maybe May does win for me? Simply because your last two rivals were jerks, and I prefer friendly rivalries, therefore the change from the previous games was nice. Plus she wanted to help you. However, I also enjoyed the Barry/Dawn thing in Pearl. Barry was excitable and less friendly yet not angry while Dawn was the introduction of the pseudo-rival which was fun in that while there were a few fights, she just met up with you a few times along the way.

I liked that element in X, in that there were 4 people constantly with you on your journey and only one was actually battling you. However, I found it took a long time to connect with them and remember them, so it was all a bit too rushed. A good idea though.

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
    Years
  • None of them:

Gary insulted you all the time.
    Silver was being all thug and kicking you away and stealing pokemon and stuff.
    May was annoying as hell.
    Wally was kissing Norman's ass.
    Barry was so clumsy and impulsive i wanted to punch his face.
    Dawn was kissing Prof.Rowan's ass.
    Bianca was the most annoying of them all.
    Cheren really thought he was good at battling. (he wasn't...im a badass.)
    and Hugh was also very annoying, he came second though (God i hate you Bianca...):
    "Hey they stole my sister's purrloin, lets beat the crap outta them!"

And done.

pompayyy

Forever and Ever
    Years
  • Well for one, Blue is one of those rivals you love to hate: his smug, cocky attitude makes it all the better when you school his butt.

But strangely enough, I like Barry a lot. He's really impatient and easily excited, making him really realistic.

braixen

the supreme meme
    Years
  • i really love barry a lot because he reminds me of myself LOL
    i also just love the sinnoh trio so much, and barry's design is very appealing to me. i also love his personality. silver would be a close second.

Years
  • Whoever said Silver, I love you guys.

Silver4Prez2016!!

I like gary/blue the best as a rival just because for some reason I find his cockiness and douchebaggery to be kind of funny. But I also really like Silver for all the reasons mentioned above. I always preferred an antagonistic rival as opposed to the 'lets work hard to be friends and make each other better' kind of rivals. That's also why I liked Paul from the Diamond and Pearl anime. It annoyed me when Ash beat Paul in the series because Paul seemed to be trying to win by using actual strategy and tactics, as opposed to Ash who wins by rewriting the rules of pokemon battling as well as the laws of physics.

Thief

The Dark One
    Years
  • Hugh (or rather, Jet, as I named him).

After him, probably Silver (or Shark...) or Wally (everyone's forgot him? huh?).

Barry is wayyyyyy... wayyyyyyyyy... waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down the list.

Back