• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Favourite 4th Gen Feature

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    What was your favourite 4th Gen feature? Was it the Follow Me Feature, quicker surfing in Platinum, the updated Pokemon Battle Frontier in Platinum or another of the many other features the 4th Gen games had. Are there any you miss,

I myself loved the Follow Me Feature and wish it was carried through the rest of the main series of Pokemon games. I really do miss it.

myystogan

[cimg=width:30px;"]https://i.imgur.com/gbudGz1.png
    Years
    I liked a bunch of the 4th gen features!

- Follow Me: THIS NEEDS TO COME BACK. I miss
    - New Battle Frontier: I took a stab at all of the facilities, and while rental battles made me more enraged than anything (lol), I can say that the battles I had in the Battle Frontier overall were mostly enjoyable. I spent the most time in the Battle Castle, but the others were cool too! The Frontier Brains were pretty classy as well ;-]
    - Pokéathlon: For me, this is a lot more fun than contests. The games aren't as tedious, to say the least :-P
    - Apricorn Balls: They're really unique, and I remember hoarding apricorns every so often just to get Kurt to make a bunch of Apricorn Balls for me, haha.

Years
    I mainly loved the following Pokemon in HG/SS, it was pretty much the best feature to interact with your Pokemon before Pokemon Amie came along.

I also loved the Ball Seals which was pretty much a customization for the animation when your Pokemon gets sent out of the Poke Ball, and while it was usually very late before getting some seals (looking at you, Sunyshore City) it is fun collecting them all and using different combinations.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I think I'm the only oddball here who doesn't love the follow me feature. XD

When it comes down to favorite, I have to say the categorization of moves. Without it, my Roserade wouldn't be able to enjoy spamming the current Special moves like Sludge Bomb and Shadow Ball. :)

Juliandroid98

The night hunter
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    The pokemon that followed you in HG/SS was hands down the best small feature in any pokemon game ever.
    It just feels I'm becoming closer with my pokemon as I walk with him.

Years
    I loved having the Pokemon follow me in HG/SS I used to talk to them all the time while they were following me around. I also really liked the Pokeathlon, though I'm not quite sure why.

Years
    When it comes down to favorite, I have to say the categorization of moves. Without it, my Roserade wouldn't be able to enjoy spamming the current Special moves like Sludge Bomb and Shadow Ball. :)

Physical/special split was such a lifesaver in this generation, because it was finally able to make some Pokemon be able to use STABs that took advantage of their better stats. It really helped give some Pokemon relevance in terms of offense.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    Following was obviously amazing.

But I loved the underground network. Digging and exploring was actually an enjoyable hunt/minigame.

CJoE

スマイルは無料で? ?? �� �� ��
    Years
    Follow Me feature was absolutely fantastic xD Having your partner along with you was totally cute and if I remember correctly, this feature was also available for Pokemon Yellow. :3

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
    Following was a feature I thought they would keep. I love seeing my Pokemon waddle along <3

D/P/Pt's Poketch was also something I used quite a bit, but never thought that I would. Mostly the map, roaming Pokemon tracker and the HP screen to see my team's health which I normally keep it on unless I'm using another app. Think the Poketch was really ahead of it's time as a smartwatch XD

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I loved having your Pokémon follow you in HGSS, although I do sort of wish there was an option to disable/enable it instead of it being forced on you.

The Pokétch was also the most amazing use of the bottom touch screen and I really wish they would re-introduce something like it again tbh.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
    I like the Ball Seals and Capsules because I can personalize which style that pops out when I'm sending out my Pokémon from the Pokéball, like adding fire or petals.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    Definitely the Physical/Special Split. As mentioned before, it made a lot of Pokemon much better in combat with notable ones being Ghastly's line. It was only this gen where I truly enjoyed using a Haunter to Gengar with Shadow Ball. Aside from that, many Pokemon got much more straightforward movesets. I'll still miss Slaking with the Pre-Split Shadowball though.

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    Almost every feature in HG/SS (The Pokeathlon, expanded Phone book, ability to rematch Gym leaders, Apricorn Blender, Follow Me etc., which makes HG/SS one of my most favorite Pokemon games)

For D/P, I liked the idea of different music based on day/night, and the Poketch.

LadyVenus

Team Cipher
    Years
    Your Pokemon following you in HG/SS. That was the best feature ever, I wish they'd bring it back. :(

Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2017
    Yes i agree with @Sun move categorization made the game more fun, and stopped everyone from guessing/forgetting what category some type was.

But if you mean feature as in BIG feature, it's definitely has to be the poketch app 23, the pokemon breeding thingy checker.

I never knew there were so many pokemon that would hook up with pokemon outside their own species.

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    I liked how Pokemon followed you in HG and SS. That was my favorite feature and I'd really like to have it back.

TheflamingToad

ToadMan
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2016
    The move split was my favorite part! It made more Pokemon like Gyarados much more enjoyable to use!

Also just the fact they re-made the 2nd gen games just made 4th generation that much better!

Back