• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favourite Mario RPG?

Favourite Mario RPG?

• Total voters

ソラ

Im gonna be the King of the Pirates
    Years
    I think Bowser's Inside Story is the best it is the funniest and the most fun. I think the first Mario RPG is the worst one I have played it on the Virtual Console and it is boring you can't even dodge enemies!

I agree with Crystal.
    plus you can dodge enemies. you just know how to do it at the right time. It not the worst, its the best Mario RPG.
    They had a squeal to mind, and it was Mario Story(Eng version Paper Mario), till Japan turned Paper Mario into a series. But tech, Maybe you should learn how to dodge, before calling it off as the worst.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    Paper Mario 2. I loved SPM but I don't really consider it a RPG.

The M&L series are hilarious, but they are... a step behind, sadly.

Crystal-Heart

~Black & White~
    Years
    How complex could it be? Isn't is basically something like "Press button in certain time frame, activate dodge/attack miss animation, negate damage"? ?0_o?

And I've heard so many good things about that first Mario RPG, I think I should download a ROM of it..... :D
    Its more complex in Super Mario RPG, there's no dodging, just blocking. Enemies will miss depending on a random number generator that adds a certain value to their Hit/Miss and then it goes up against the party member's Dodge/Speed values. Its about the same as it works in Pokemon when an opponent Pokemon attacks and either hits or misses.

The first Super Mario RPG is great. Great story, memorable characters, and Square-Enix's usual style. There's even a hard secret boss named Culex who's based on a traditional Final Fantasy-style boss. They even use the Boss Battle, Victory, and Crystals Themes from Final Fantasy IV during the battle, victory, and conversation with Culex.

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
    The first Super Mario RPG is great. Great story, memorable characters, and Square-Enix's usual style. There's even a hard secret boss named Culex who's based on a traditional Final Fantasy-style boss. They even use the Boss Battle, Victory, and Crystals Themes from Final Fantasy IV during the battle, victory, and conversation with Culex.

That's interesting, I'll have to find that. I did end up downloading a ROM of it, and now I see what all the hype is about. :D

I like it because it's more like traditional RPG's than Paper Mario, like how you can equip weapons and armor, and such.

One thing though, did Square make the Dragon warrior series? 'Cause if not, they totally stole something from it and put it in Super Mario RPG. There's this creature you fight in there called "Pandorite" or something, and it's almost exactly like a Mimic from Dragon Warrior! It's that thing that you think is a chest, but when you try to open it, a battle starts. :S

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    One thing though, did Square make the Dragon warrior series? 'Cause if not, they totally stole something from it and put it in Super Mario RPG. There's this creature you fight in there called "Pandorite" or something, and it's almost exactly like a Mimic from Dragon Warrior! It's that thing that you think is a chest, but when you try to open it, a battle starts. :S

wow, then they also stole it with that stuff in FF that does the same thing and Gamefreak stole that idea with the Electrode-ball trick thing and like everyone who's ever made an RPG is stealing an idea with a trick-monster.

not really.

PS. Enix made DQ btw, not Square, although it's kinda fine now that they merged, lol.

Crystal-Heart

~Black & White~
    Years
    That's interesting, I'll have to find that. I did end up downloading a ROM of it, and now I see what all the hype is about. :D

I like it because it's more like traditional RPG's than Paper Mario, like how you can equip weapons and armor, and such.

Yeah, that's why I like it too. I keep hoping for Square-Enix to make a new Super Mario RPG or even a remake (since all they're doing with Mario is Mario Hoops and Mario Sport Mix (coming to Wii) as well as a Mario Party game featuring Mario & Dragon Quest (part of Enix's Itadaki Street series) instead of Mario RPG, like most people want to see).

The 'Mimic' character type has been used for ages. Its a traditional Monster-in-a-Box/Present/Chest archetype that I believe first appeared in traditional Pen/Paper RPGs like Dungeons and Dragons. However, at the time, no, Square and Enix were separate rivals (Enix owned Dragon Quest), but after the financial failure that was Final Fantasy: Spirits Within bankrupted Square, they merged with Enix, to become Square-Enix.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 23, 2011
    Paper Mario 64 was my fav.
    Does anyone try to kill the Anti Guy trio if you fail the Bowser door's quiz for fun?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Nothing beats Paper Mario for me! :) Such a fun, addicting game. I say that, but got distracted from it and need to get back to it, haha.

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
    Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga followed by Paper Mario 2.

The 'Mimic' character type has been used for ages. Its a traditional Monster-in-a-Box/Present/Chest archetype that I believe first appeared in traditional Pen/Paper RPGs like Dungeons and Dragons.
    For example, Voltorb is a mimic-type monster.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Paper Mario wins it.
    Super Mario RPG is a close second.
    Mario and Luigi 1 is third.
    Paper Mario: TTYD is fourth.

All of them are great games, though.

MurasakiYugata

Friend of Caterpie
    Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2010
    I'd go for Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door. Goombella is my second favorite video game character of all time.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
    Out of all the Mario RPG's I've played, I'd have to say Paper Mario. Just a classic, and the fact that I've played it over like, 4-5 times means it's never really boring. Thousand Year Door comes at a close second though.

Also fyi, Super Paper Mario isn't a RP Game as it doesn't have the same ethics as the previous two games. It's more action-adventure.

AmitieFan985

Let's Drill!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2011
    I have to say Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door. Super Mario RPG is my second favorite.

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2010
    I'd go for Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door. Goombella is my second favorite video game character of all time.

YEAH! Paper Mario all the way. The elements that make Paper Mario Paper Mario just aren't the same anywhere else. They are so awesome and add so much to the RPG experience. I can't get enough of them!!

Delphinus

Auxiliary bro
    Years
    Paper Mario: TTYD followed by Bowser's Inside Story. The first is just amazing, and so is the latter. Though my bias for the awesomeness that is the King of Koopas probably helps.

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
    I think Bowser's Inside Story is the best it is the funniest and the most fun. I think the first Mario RPG is the worst one I have played it on the Virtual Console and it is boring you can't even dodge enemies!
    That is typically how an RPG works, yes...

For me, it would be SMRPG:LotSS. I grew up with the older Final Fantasies, and I'm a huge sucker for RPGs. Personally, I found the game to be much more interesting than the GBA games.

However, I can't really say any of them are the "worst", because that'd be making a rash decision...

L5Animations

Gamer & Shiny Hunter
    Years
    M&L RPG 3: Bowser's Inside Story

Because of Fawful, (gotta love that guy,) always saying I HAVE FURY!!! and I HAVE CHORTLES(?)!!!!!!!!!!!!, and the epic final battle music, and just the plain awesomeness of the game itself.

Back