• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favourite Platforming Game?

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • best-superhero-games-ever-mutant-turtles-nes.jpg

Basically, a platform game is where you move the character around a landscape, as they jump on platforms, over obstacles, and even both, in order to progress. Arguably, the most important element in these types of games is the 'jump button'! For example, Super Mario Games star mario jumping across platforms, and you can also jump on top of certain enemies to defeat them.

That said, as the title suggests, what are your favourite platforming games, and why?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    At the moment, it's gotta be New Super Mario Bros. U. Don't have the game anymore, but when I did, it used to be one of my most-played. Alongside that, I also like Rayman Legends. d:

Years
  • I love my 64 platformers the most such as Crystal Shards, Banjo Kazooie, Super Mario 64, Chameleon Twist, Mischief Makers *shake shake*, Bomberman, Donkey Kong 64, Yoshi's Story and Bad Fur Day.

If I had to pick, I will go with Donkey Kong 64.

SomariFeyWright

Seven years is all it takes...
    Years
  • Favorite platformer? About a year ago, this would have been hard for me, but its a piece of cake now.

An often overlooked game of the PS1, Klonoa: Door to Phantomile.

THIS GAME IS PERFECT.

(No actual spoilers under the spoiler, but there's rant about the game's greatness in there, if you're interested.)
    Spoiler:

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Favorite 2D platformer is the original Rayman. It's damn hard and it's really well designed, plus the art style is fantastic.

Favorite 3D platformer is Spyro The Dragon. 2 and 3 are great and all, but the simplicity and childish innocence seem much more fitting for Spyro than minigames and constant power-up gates.

inzain786

Learning Before I Post
    Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2014
    I'm stuck between Super Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, and Super Mario Sunshine. All great platformers that I loved, but I can't for the life of me pick just one :(

Years
  • If we're talking about 2D platformers it's definitely New Super Luigi U. For 3D ones, it's either Super Mario Sunshine or Super Mario Galaxy.
    So basically Mario is the King of Platformers. But we all knew that already, right?

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    If we're talking about 2D platformers it's definitely New Super Luigi U. For 3D ones, it's either Super Mario Sunshine or Super Mario Galaxy.
    So basically Mario is the King of Platformers. But we all knew that already, right?
    In a game design perspective? No doubt. NSMBU is king of 2D platformers, and either Galaxy got the 3D space.

But my favorite are either Wario Land 4 or Donkey Kong Country Returns.

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
    Years
  • ^ I played DK Country Returns on the 3DS and I wasn't really gone on it TBH.

Wow.... Most of the games I play involve Platforming to an extent. Some of my favorites are Mario 64, Banjo Tooie, Donkey Kong 64, Jak and Daxter, Spyro and Crash Bandicoot.

I want to say I love Rayman but I ALWAYS end up ragequitting cause it's so difficult...

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • Hmm, platforming games definitely haven't been top priority on my list of games to play as of late, though I know I've played a good deal of platforming games over the years. To be honest, as generic as it may be, I'm gonna stick with the games of the Mario franchise; more specifically Super Mario Bros. 3. It may be outclassed by the New Super Mario Bros. games, though I've never actually played any of those, so I can't really compare. And in any case, SMB3 is a game that I've come back to so many times over the years. I've never actually beaten it, partially due to often giving up on it too early, or losing interest a while into the game, unfortunately. But even though that's the case, it's definitely a game I still enjoy playing every once in a while, and I'm sure I'll beat it sooner or later; granted my Wii doesn't die on me D:

I also really enjoyed the one Mega Man game I've played, and as enjoyable as it was, I don't really think it can take the spot of SMB3 though. However, I definitely want to try out more Megaman games!

Metricus

The Sympathetic Freaker
    Years
  • I know it might be cliche, but mine is Super Mario World for the SNES. It's one of only a few games that I credit with making me a gamer and to this day I can still become engrossed in it.

Years
  • For something classic, I'd say Ice Climber.. it was a game that my mother exposed me to because she played it back on the NES, and bought it for me when it was ported for Nintendo's "Classic NES Series" for the Game Boy Advance.

Years
  • Super Mario Galaxy or Super Mario 64. Huge, open-ended worlds, clever and inventive level design, universally catchy music, vibrant and pleasing color schemes that don't just resort to the constant red, blue, yellow, and green... what's not to love? ...Okay, I hate the traditional Mario storylines, but that at least doesn't interfere with the gameplay.

Other contenders: Sonic 3, Sonic Colors; SpongeBob: Battle for Bikini Bottom (it's much like Mario 64), Super Meat Boy.

Back