• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favourite Pokémon Media?

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • Now, by 'media', I mean that I believe that pokemon can be divided into 3... 'groups': the anime, the video game, and other forms of merchandise (ie. plushies).

Favourite Pokémon Media?

So, from that, do you prefer the pokemon's anime, the video games, the merchandise, or do you like all three? Feel free to explain why, or any other thoughts! <3

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Well for me it all started with the anime. Which I loved and I've rewatched and still love, but only up to a certain point. I love the original series and the orange league and then when it gets into Johto there are points where I don't like it as much, but I still can get through it.

The video games are easily my favorite though. It's the only thing that I stay around Pokemon for or look forward to. I've played all the main series games and a few spin offs.

The merchandise I just don't care about. The only thing I got really into for a bit were the cards when I was younger and everyone collected them. Plushies aren't my thing. I think they just take up space and are ultimately pointless, same as figurines and what not. I would get a Pokemon themed board game I've just never seen them.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Manga! Yeah, even though I don't read much anymore, I loved the manga so hard that I'd still call it my favorite part of pokémon. Especially Pokémon Adventures, but there were some other good titles too. Some manga I've read is just more liberal and mature than the childish (imo) anime and dares to go the lengths the anime didn't do. I like that.

Second on my list would be the games though ;) There's no denying it's the core of Pokémon and that they are very enjoyable.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2016
    If you'd have asked when I was younger, I wouldn't have been able to choose. But for now, its the anime. I tried playing all the games again and as much as I love them, especially X&Y, I don't play them as often as I did when I was younger. I tried collecting the cards, 3 times I've stopped and restarted, but I can never stick to it. The anime is what got me back into it and its what I love most.

Shiro

Dad! Or should I say... Big cheese of Hoshido?
    Years
  • Ah, definitely the games for me! The first Pokemon media I was introduced to was actually the anime when I was very young and I adored it. Eventually I got my first video game ever, Pokemon Yellow, and I was in total awe. The world that I had loved so much and the Pokemon that I had come to love were now mine to interact with. 11 years later, that kind of awe still hasn't gone away, haha.

I do still have a deep appreciation for the manga and the anime, though. Unfortunately I just... haven't kept up with them very well. ;;

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I'm gonna have to go with the games! In later years, the anime has been more of a chore to watch than a fun distraction.

I also really love the merchandise, I have a couple of toys and plushies laying around my room. Even a few posters.

However the games are what keep me going through and through. It has some of the best soundtracks and the whole competitive battling scene is a ton of fun.

Years
  • When I was younger the merchandise and anime had a much bigger impact on me; the main merchandise I had was stickers and the TCG (the latter was always a hot topic in school haha) whereas now definitely the video games are my favourite, with the re-playability of each being a big part of that although I do still keep up with the anime where I can :)

Years
  • While it was the anime and TCG that reeled me in to the franchise initially, it's the games that have kept me here. Not that I don't still like the other two, but I don't get as excited about a new episode/movie or a new TCG set quite like I do when a new game is announced.

Though, if I had the extra money (and the room for it), I wouldn't mind getting more into the merchandise. I'd love to have figures, plushies and toys on display, but it's always so hard to find good stuff, and when you do, it's generally expensive.

rom hunter

tongue-tied
    Years
  • All three categories are good. When it comes to merchandise, its the trading cards that create some buzz. It is old stuff though. I remember the old times when Pokemon was in its early days. These trading cards really made some business. The merchandise today is really expensive. Still, it would be anime at the top for me because it was anime on the first place that introduced me to the world of Pokemon. Next come the games. It is because of anime that I was driven to the Pokemon games. Then it all started. It was one game after the other and even today... I am still in the hunt for new and new Pokemon games.

Years
  • The games and merchandise (toys, figures, etc) are probably tied for me. I just love to collect toys/cards of my favorite little 'mons and nothing can replace that for me. The games are fun too but not something fluffy I can snuggle.

Years
  • I started with the anime, then got into the video games with Yellow, and finally the merchandise with either the TCG or Burger King toys. Out of the three, the anime's the only one I've stopped watching for the most part (I may watch it if I ever have access to cable TV and it's on). I've purchased/played most of the handheld games and some of the home console ones, and I've even purchased imported copies of some of the games (Plat., SS, Black, and BW2, to be precise). As for the merchandise, I loooove collecting Pokemon plushies; I'm currently trying to acquire all the Eeveelutions, and only need three (four if I want to get Eevee) to do so! I also collect the trading cards, even though I don't really play. Used to collect board games and electronic devices and other toys, but not anymore.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    My favourite Pokemon media are the games because they bring me a lot of enjoyment, and the plushies because they're so cute.

Years
  • Difficult call. At the beginning, I'd say the anime was the main reason I stayed interested in Pokemon, because it came on as soon was I turned on the television during the weekends and I'd spend most of the day sitting on my couch with a bowl of cereal watching Ash defeat countless trainers. Nowadays, I don't watch the anime at all, but play the games quite often. Their replay-ability is off the charts; I don't think there's a game out their that can match Pokemon in this category. I'm going on my fifteenth run of Emerald right now, that's a good indicator, haha. n__n

Belpois

un mon∂є sαns ∂αngєr
    Years
  • The anime, certainly. That kicked off my interest in Pokémon as a whole and still provides endless entertainment for me. I'm a fan of older animation in general but the series still manages to capture me even in these later seasons.

Years
  • Definitely the cards. Although I rarely ever play the game with them, I do enjoy collecting the different variants and kinds of Pokemon species as display. If I was to choose a close second and third, I'd buy the plushies and figurines.

Back