• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favourite spin-off series: Pokémon Ranger or Pokémon Mystery Dungeon

What's your favourite spin-off series: Pokémon Ranger or Pokémon Mystery Dungeon?

• Pokémon Ranger series

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Pokémon Mystery Dungeon series

Votes: 41 89.1%

• Total voters

PokeAwesome94

Ace Pokémon Trainer
Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2013
    What's your favourite spin-off series: Pokémon Ranger or Pokémon Mystery Dungeon? Vote and write why.

For me it's definitely the Pokémon Ranger series. Those games are a fun variation from the main games. I like that they can transfer some event Pokémon to the main games and I like the whole Ranger concept. I also like the graphics and the environments (especially in Guardian Signs). The character design is amazing, just look at these arms and legs:

Favourite spin-off series: Pokémon Ranger or Pokémon Mystery Dungeon

One of the things I don't like about the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon series are the dungeons. I (and probably a lot of other people) hate caves in the main games and it's the same in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon. In other words, Pokémon Mystery Dungeon isn't suited for me.

Last edited:

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Isn't selection between PMD and Ranger too narrow? :/
    Where are XDs, Conquest, etc... ;)
    But if I were to choose between these two, I go for PMD.
    PMDs are my second most favorite spin-offs (Colosseum and XD are unbeatable) so PMD gets my vote.

Years
    • uk
    • Seen Dec 7, 2014
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon because:
    I own all of the games and I've never played Pokemon Ranger before:P

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I do like both, especially Ranger: Shadow Of Almia! I think Mystery Dungeon tops it for me though, having played Explorers of Time & Sky I just loved the whole game.

PokeAwesome94

Ace Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2013
    Isn't selection between PMD and Ranger too narrow? :/
    Where are XDs, Conquest, etc... ;)

I just wanted the spin-off series for DS that have two or more games in the series to be included in this poll. If you want to you can make your own thread, but I'm happy with this the way it is. :)

I've never played Pokemon Ranger before:P

You should try it. The Ranger games are great. ;)

Mystical Mermaid

Resident Mermaid
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Jul 22, 2012
    I enjoyed the first Ranger game when I first picked it up, but found the gameplay to be a little repetitive and too easy once you get the hang of it. The sequel games were more or less the same to me. I'm really not sure why I dislike the series, given its popularity with so many people, but I guess I'm just a weirdo.

PMD on the other hand is a great little spinoff series. Ever since Generation I, I've always dreamed of a game where you played as the Pokemon directly, and this is just that. The stories are engaging and surprisingly emotionall, even compared to the main series. The randomly generated dungeons and periodic difficultly spikes also keep you on your toes. I seriously hope to see a Generation V addition to this series.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • It was a tough choice, but I went with Mystery Dungeon mainly because it was closer to the main series than Ranger. Ranger's unique method of capturing Pokemon is still fun, though.

Mentalii

Back
    Years
  • Mystery Dungeon. Each story was amazing, and to be honest I didn't enjoyed Pokémon Ranger, while I spent hours on Mystery Dungeon.

MirandaxPikachu

Lovin' Pikachu since 1999.
    Years
  • Well, This is hard for me, because I love them both. PMD blue rescue team was cool, but PMD Explores of Sky was also awesome..

Then again, Pokemon Ranger was also fun to play, I loved the Manaphy event, and the graphics of Pokemon Ranger Guardian Signs were awesome..

It's really hard for me, but I have to say Pokémon Ranger. :p

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Ugh this is a really hard choice... I could write pages on both of these games and how wonderful/innovative they both are, but it's 3:30AM so I'll keep it brief xD Basically I think that both of these games are utterly amazing. Mystery Dungeon was a real breakthrough in innovative new Pokémon games - being able to play as a Pokémon was one thing, but the way the games worked along with the really emotional story lines just tipped it over the edge of awesomeness imo. Then the Ranger games were just as wonderful; the stories may not have been as interesting but the game play was incredibly unique and so much fun whilst being completely different to anything I've played before. Although I love the way you choose who you are in PMD and Ranger can be somewhat limited... So yeah, I'm actually going to go with PMD, even though I voted Ranger in the poll 'cos I hadn't really thought about it then. xD

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Misleading title is misleading. Anyway, though neither are my favorite spin off games by any stretch of the means, PMD is much, much better than Ranger. I don't want to have to draw circles around Pokemon to "catch" them. I find it very tedious, nor did the plot ever engage me. But I will go out and say it had great music.

As for PMD, I find it more addicting and fun to play. Once I start, I just can't stop. It grows on me and makes me want to progress and recruit more and evolve myself and my partner. I'm really upset that I lost my PMD Blue though. It's the only PMD game I made a ton of effort on and it's always a pain to lose a game you made so much progress on and spent countless hours playing. But c'est la vie. Sky is pretty good too. It fixed what was wrong with the previous four dungeons, however retaining Darkness and Time's storyline for the most part, which was the main turn off, considering I got it right after beating Darkness. But that was my fault for the bad timing. But in a sense, it was like a third version, like the main series does. And I guess that's alright. Get close to the main games, lol.

Years
  • Pokemon Ranger good, Mystery Dungeon bad.

Monster rooms pissed me off to the rage quit and trade in at Lamestop.

And the enemies late game that could troll through walls? Give some of that crap to FPS players. See how they like it.

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2014
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon's my pick.
    I don't know, but right after the story of Pokemon Ranger, it just gets a bit boring...I still play it after the story, but that's normally to play the multiplayer missions and get Pokemon trough the Special Missions that you can download from Wi-Fi. (This would be about Guardian Signs, never finished the first one or the second one. The Rampardos in the second one kept me from finishing the game...Never played the first one.)
    Well, I can't really say anything about why Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is good, but maybe it's because there's too many things in mind about Pokemon Mystery Dungeon's "awesomeness".

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
    Years
  • Sadly, I've only played the first games in both series. If I remember correctly, the DS was new back then, so the Ranger game was interesting because of the touch screen feature. Aside from that, I didn't find it more interesting than Mystery Dungeon. I've only played Red Rescue Team and I really liked it. I played it right after it came out so I didn't even know what it was about.

PokeAwesome94

Ace Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2013
    Misleading title is misleading.

Sorry, I thought the title was fine when I posted the thread, but English is not my native language so I might have failed at it. If you feel like editing the thread's name I'm okay with it.

SD.

B E N N I N G T O N
    Years
  • definitely mystery dungeons
    LOVE THE GAMES

not long ago i actually got explorers of the sky.... stupid i didnt know it was basically the same as explorers of time and the other one
    so returned it and could trade it for another game
    because i already have explorers of time xD​

Back