• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favourite spin-off series: Pokémon Ranger or Pokémon Mystery Dungeon

What's your favourite spin-off series: Pokémon Ranger or Pokémon Mystery Dungeon?

• Pokémon Ranger series

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Pokémon Mystery Dungeon series

Votes: 41 89.1%

• Total voters

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
  • Mystery Dungeon wins this one. Don't get me wrong I love the Ranger series, I just enjoyed the dungeon series a lot more. n_n Being able to play as a Pokemon, recruiting other Pokemon instead of capturing and such is a good concept. Ranger kinda gets a bit boring with the movement of the characters, text and such. PMD > Ranger.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Mystery Dungeon, though I did enjoy both. I just liked the originality of it plus the storyline, etc. I felt Ranger was kind of repetitive, (even though MD was kind of too).

R a c h e l

Formerly Sapphiress
    Years
  • Mystery Dungeon without a doubt! Got so into those games, the story really dragged me in with each one x] I enjoyed the Ranger games but they just didn't have the integrity!

squirtle-squad

Area Ranger/Trainer
    Years
  • Pokemon Ranger without a SHADOW of a doubt! It is better that mystery dungeon for me because, being a pokemon is cool but I prefer to be a person. Also, seeing as the main games are all about training and gym leaders, being a ranger is good because you get to finally be something different. I ordered Shadows of Almia yesterday because, after my friend lent it to me a year ago, I have been in love with it! Enough said me thinks!

Galdr

ドラゴンのおうじ
    Years
  • Ugh, I can't choose because both side series interested me.

They both leave the mainstream RPG games, letting you have a taste of something different. I remember when the Mystery Dungeon Blue and Red Rescue Team were coming out, they promoted it with a commercial. "Wouldn't it be cool if you were a Pokemon?" Something along those lines. It was a long time ago, but I remember it almost as clearly. The kid was like "huh?" and I think it was a Pikachu that greeted him. XD Anyway, a world without humans training and capturing you was a good idea, and thanks to Chunsoft, it came alive.

The items on PMD games are hilarious, even though majority of them are from the main games. "X-Eye Seed", "Stun Seed" (that's hilarious to me for some reason), and the orbs. I'm still wondering how the game allows you have to so many Max Elixirs, but they're so hard to get in the main games. XD

Pokemon Ranger series just brought me to life. A game where humans aren't capturing Pokemon in Pokeballs for once. That, and they have so much better outfits than the main trainers. Even though they consist of the same colors, but who's worrying? That, and the starting heros/heroines aren't always ten years old, so that helped, too. The plots all made sense, and had me suspicious of characters that ended up being the bad guys. The lines said by the team (Go-Rock, Dim Sun and Nappers) were usually hilarious. The grunts, I mean. They would say something dumb before initiating the battle sequence.

I find the humor entertaining. The capturing of some Pokemon gets harder as it progresses, and the towns are all beautifully detailed. It appears every NPC in towns have somewhere to go, and that's what I like about it, too. Yeah, I definitely can't choose. XD

shadexpwn

Shadexpwn
    Years
  • I played the Pokemon mystery dungeon series for awhile and then stopped as they started getting a tad bit repetitive.

Lifeofaguardian

Dungeon Crawler
    Years
  • Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. Explorers of Time/Darkness to be specific

It has a moving story, an interesting gaming style and good music. The main reason that I prefer this though is that you can play as a Pokemon yourself. How awesome is that :p
    I've played and finished both Pokemon Ranger and Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time (which means "having seen the credits") and while I enjoyed Ranger, which was something new, I still like Mystery Dungeon more.

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2020
    Going for Mystery Dungeon on this one, because it's a lot thrilling than Pokemon Ranger, and it wasn't as tiring as the latter since you don't have to draw circles here and there, and you'll even end up extending the life of the touch screen.

But that doesn't mean I hate Ranger-- it's also good.

Jason Wolf

The Chronicler
    Years
  • reason I hate ranger is because I can't catch them all. In PMD I still get to organize a team and fight. Ranger I'm stuck asa human who only lasso's pokemon then uses them once and throws them away, only to go back five minutes later because I need another!

PMD also had better plot, better visuals, and overall was a better us of my time. Ranger in the end you don't really gain anything. in PMD you are always training getting better making a team.

Back