• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Favourite Starter Pokemon!

Which is your favourite starter Pokemon from both sets of games (DPPt and HGSS)?

• Turtwig line

Votes: 39 29.1%
  • Piplup line

Votes: 44 32.8%
  • Chimchar line

Votes: 36 26.9%
  • Chikorita line

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Totodile line

Votes: 52 38.8%
  • Cyndaquil line

Votes: 61 45.5%

• Total voters

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    So which starter Pokemon from DPPt and HGSS did you choose and/or like the most, and why?

Personally - Turtwig line and Totodile line for me - I tried them all with DPPt and enjoyed using Turtwig the most in battles, and Totodile is an old favourite from the GSC days.

PikachuGuy

THOSE CHU'Z
    Years
    Like like Cyndaquil and Totodile. I don't care too much for the newer Pokemon, it's different when you grew up from where it all started. (The TV Show, not the games). But on my next Soul Silver playthrough, I'm going to pick Chikorita.

But my favorite is going to be Cyndaquil.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Yeah, I've tried all the Johto starters and liked them - the Totodile line is just the one I like the most then and now (although I had a mean Typhlosion back in the GSC day with stuff like Thunder Punch, EQ...).

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I like all of the starter lines available in 4th gen except for Chikorita. If I had a choice, it would be Piplup from D/P/Pt and Totodile from HG/SS.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I only used Cyndaquil -> Typhlosion on HG, and only P...iplup? Yeah that on Pearl. Funny though, I haven't reset either. Idk why I chose Piplup tho, probs 'cause Chimchar and Turtwig looked ugly. Tbh for nostalgia I probably should've picked Chikorita for HG, but oh well. :(

Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2017
    From HGSS It's Either Cyndaquil or Totodile But I Like Totodile The Most

From DPPT It's A Hard Choise I've Used All The Sinnoh Starters And The're Equally Good But My Most Favorite Of Them Has To Be Turtwig Since Torterra Looks Epic In Platinum I Mean Look At Him It's A Giant Turtle With A Forest On It's Back Who Doesn't Like That

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    It was easy to choose a starter in Pearl. I chose Chimchar because I like fire and monkeys, so the combination was a major win for me. My Infernape became a valuable member of the team with his move set. I've never used any other starter in D/P/Pt.

As for HG/SS, it's hard to choose. For nostalgia reasons, I love the Cyndaquil line. It's never lead me wrong when I used it. But I've become a fan of the Totodile line, and enjoyed those Pokemon as well. I have yet to play with the Chikorita line, so I haven't formed an opinion on them.

TheUnown

Super Lurker
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2015
    Totodile line. I love my Feraligatr =3
    But I've always liked the Johto starters more than Sinnoh. Probably comes from nostalgia...watching the anime and I loved the Johto series.

Years
    I picked Chikorita in HG and have only ever used that starter since I never had Gold or Silver and haven't restarted yet. I've also never played DPPt. I can only pick based on their looks and so I'd have to go with Chikorita and Turtwig for their cuteness and my preference for the grass starters.

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2016
    Turtwig, because Chimchar is a piece of ugly poo and Piplup is merely meh, and Cyndaquil because he is a boss, although Totodile comes in at a very close second. Chikorita is better than Chimchar, though, but only slightly.

Enigma

[i][font=Noto Serif][color=#e2ad53]The [color=#d94
    Years
    All of the HG/SS starters are pretty amazing. The ones from DPPt are alright too, but since I always pick the fire type starter, my favorites are Cyndaquil and Chimchar, along with their respective evolutions. :)

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    I ALWAYS choose Chikorita as my starter. Always always always. I gotta have a Meganium on my Johto team.

For D/P/Pt, it was hard to choose because all three of the starters didn't appeal to me. I end up choosing Piplup because it was cuter than the other two.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
    I like all of the 4th Gen starters, but I like the Cyndaquil and Piplup lines the most because they are just too awesome and they were the only starters I would pick out of the game(s).

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
    Years
    I like all the Johto Starters, they are my favourite generation of starters

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Well, I like them all...except Chikorita and Meganium (Bayleef's cool). So I'm just going to go with the pokémon I chose first time:

Piplup (on Diamond, and then again on Platinum)
    Cyndaquil (on SoulSilver, then again on HeartGold).

Ironically, I've never completed a Johto game with Cyndaquil - I only managed it once, with Totodile.

EDIT: Turns out it's multiple choice...seeing as I can't physically decide between them in reality, particularly in Sinnoh, I've given everyone except Chikorita a vote :)

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    For D/P/Plt, Piplup line hands down. No only are they the best designed of the sinnoh starters, the final evolution is not only a effective type combination, (Water/Steel) but it can out-speed most pokemon very well.

For HG/SS, Cyndaquill line. I find it to have a good mix of stats compared to the other two. Plus, I find the design of them the best of the starters.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    For DPPt, I voted for Piplup and Chimchar. I started with Chimchar first, because it's a fire type, but I only like Empoleon out of all Sinnoh starters.

For HGSS, I voted for Cyndaquil since I started with it first, and it's my favorite. Quilava is one of my favorite Pokemon of all time. :)

Back