• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Features from X&Y you wish were in OR/AS?

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    I miss trainer customization too, not only because it allowed trainers to be unique, but also because May's design was utterly ruined.

Sirenita55

Team Popplio!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2018
    As many have already pointed out, trainer customisation was sorely missed. I love my sporty female character! I've also enjoyed using the Battle Chateau and riding the Pokemon through different terrains.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I have to agree with all of you. Customization was something I just loved. (I knew were I was going to spend my money).

Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2016
    I can see why customization was not in ORAS and doubt it will be in the remakes in years to come. I do wish something like the Battle Chaetu was in ORAS

rpryor03

In and Out
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jan 9, 2024
    Battle Chateau was the major thing I would have liked to see. It was my preferred Battle _____ from XY, and was great for post-game grinding.

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2017
    I missed trainer customization, and I really liked having all my berry plots in one spot! Even though I didn't really use them, I thought some of the mutation mechanics were interesting, and I like the design of trees in XY better than ORAS. The new tree sprite looks too small to me. I liked the bushiness of XY.

Years
  • I am also on the trainer customization bandwagon. While I don't use it as much in X as I should, it does promote unique trainer designs and makes online battles not just fighting endless clones.

A facility like the Battle Chateau would have been great as well. Relying on Elite Four rematches was way too much for me.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • I know they wanted to keep the original designs of the characters (even though they didn't keep the original designs), but really, if we could dress up a Pikachu, why can't we dress up the main character? They could have at least let us change the color scheme of their outfits--for example, making May's shirt and bandana purple instead of red.

What were the differences between the the XY Berry mechanics and the OR/AS ones again? I haven't done a whole lot with berries in either game, so I'm not familiar with that whole discrepancy issue. I remember there was the one garden in X&Y where you had to go in order to plant berries, but I'm can't remember if there was anything special to the mechanics that was unique to X&Y.

From what I can see, the main difference was that, in addition to the task of watering, Pokemon X and Y added the two caretaking tasks of weed removal and pest removal. I can see how those two mundane tasks could be un-fun and/or tedious for some, although I feel that they at least give you more stuff to do at the Berry fields and are a bit more representative of real-world plant care-taking (like seriously -.-). And at least you earn what you sow (contrasting with the Generation 6 "PokeBlock system" where there's barely any work involved.. >_>) I like the mutations in that they provide you with Berry bonuses, although I don't think that they should totally override normal Berry planting (as in, the main objective should be "what you plop in the dirt is largely what you harvest later on." XD)

Also, I found the "discrepancy" that I mentioned earlier (courtesy of Bulbapedia's Berry article): "In Generations III and IV, beyond the sprouting stages, all Berry plants had different sprites as they grew. In Generation VI, Berry plants only have unique sprites in their final, harvestable stage. In Pokémon X and Y, the sprites for the earlier stages differ based on the Berry's color, but in Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, the earlier stages use the same sprite for all Berries." I think Generation 6 was lazy, since Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald at least bothered to provide unique sprites/models for each Berry (excluding the quirky e-Reader Berries) past the general "Berry sprouting" stage. Also, I'm surprised that Pokemon OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire opted to be more lazy and removed the "color differences from the pre-harvestable stages" from Pokemon X and Y, which supplied some, albeit limited, artistic visual uniqueness.

Admittedly, having to keep track of watering, weed removal, pest removal, and Mulch application may seem a bit much just for getting some Berries, although I feel that the system is somewhat manageable. I'm not sure if I prefer the Generation 3 or Generation 6 fertilizing Mulches, though.. I feel that Hoenn's system of "5 Berry stages total" is a bit more feasible to work with compared to Kalos' system of "7 Berry stages total".

Also, an aside remark, but I hope that future games endeavor to keep at least a set of Berry fields (like the amount that Hoenn's Berry Master has in his backyard) clustered together. They can retain the "Berry fields scattered across the region" as well as "a device feature for tracking scattered Berry fields", so as long as we have some Berry Master-esque Berry field plots available! :)

EDIT: Also, what do they mean that "Mulch is unsuitable for Hoenn soil"? >:( When I was hoping for "Hoenn remakes", Mulches were like the one thing that I wanted to be added to Hoenn's "Berry caretaking system". -_- I mean, aren't fertilizers for tropical territories/areas/plants a thing? So disappointed that Hoenn misses out on Mulch action..

Last edited:

Hypno

OT: Eggaro
    Years
  • Trainer customization should have been part of at least the online mode, it saddens me that we went back to everybody having the same character model on online matches after X and Y.
    It should have been expanded, so people can actually have a unique persona, I believe Pokemon Battle Revolution made the best use of trainer customization.

Years
  • While I do miss trainer customization. I think that the playable characters in ORAS are a little bit more iconic and I think it would look weird if we were to suddenly be able to change the way that they looked. I think for me at least, I would leave this feature alone if it existed in ORAS. Side note though, I just beat OR and I'm having a hard time adjusting to the UI changes and general cleanliness in X.

Back