• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Features Overload.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    Anyone else feel like, so far from what we know, there's too much going on in X&Y? We have a boatload of new features and characters with plenty to come.

I got disinterested in the additions that came with B2W2 such as PokeStar and still have things I haven't completed in B2 which I'm not really motivated to. But I will soon as I'm on summer break.

So do you think that they've added too much to X&Y and it will deviate from the main point of these game? Which I believe to training Pokemon to become battle beasts. Or do you welcome these additions and the ones to come with widespread arms?

Miau

If I fits...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2022
    I love how there are so many new features. I don't always want to battle, but still want to play, so it's nice to have many choices. Though I personally am not a fan of the Musical in Unova and still haven't done all the movies at Pokestar Studios, it's still nice to have those features. Also there are enough battle facilities in Unova, like the sport domes and Battle Subway in Nimbasa, and the PWT and the facilities in Black City/White Forest, so I'm sure we'll have many choices for battling in Kalos as well.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    Every generation introduces a number of new features. We see a lot more now, because the game developers have a lot more to work with than they did before in the older systems. Some features are great, while some fall pretty flat or just have no real benefit from using them. Of the latter, fifth gen introduced two new features that I particularly didn't care for in the games: Musicals and PokéStar Studios. They add nothing to the games for me, they're not even very entertaining when you just want to do something else in the games.

So far most of the new features that we seem to be getting in X and Y actually have relevance to the game. For instance, the new Pokémon-Amie, it allows us to interact with our Pokémon while being a benefit for what happens during the main game - of which we still have yet to learn more about.

Also, I love the new customize feature for the protagonists, because it allows the players to finally be able to be more unique with their character and reflect more of who they are in real life.

So, yeah, we're getting a lot more new features and likely some old ones too, but it doesn't really take away from the basics of the game to be honest. It just adds more to it, which I'm perfectly fine with.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
    There are so many new features coming out that I don't know which ones I am going to do first! But I think it is a good thing. It will help make the games more unique. It will also let you do things besides battling or grinding, which is good because that can get boring. I am looking forward to Pokemon- Amie the most :3

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

It is definitely a good thing. At heart, this will still be a traditional Pokemon game. We'll get to choose our starter, same typing as usual, same or similar leveling system and same or similar battling mechanic. Pokemon is a winning formula, why change it? As far as I've seen, the base mechanic is the same, we just now have lots of extra features. Pokemon needs a revolutionary game. This game could be it, being on a new system with extended capabilities. Being 3D is massive for the series, and that alone imo would be enough to make me buy the game. But there is going to be so much more added than just pretty new graphics, as I'm sure y'all already know. This game has the potential to shaft heaps of 3DS's, as well as gaining heaps of new fans and re hooking old ones.

Tl;dr : Pokemon needs to feel like a new game again. X and Y may achieve this.

tnfsf11

No I don't think it's that overloaded with features, the Pokémon games need more features so that when grinding becomes too boring at a point gamers can do something different, for example:

-Use the roller-skates & wander about.
    -Play with your Pokémon in P-Amie.
    -Go on a Pokédex Completion project, now that wild encounters are less boring.
    -Ride your Pokémon around town.

These may be simple activities but they could be the way to chill out of the whole battling mood, and I think they're really fun too...

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    It's not so much that having these features is bad, it's that a lot of time that could've been spent on polishing the game is for these unnecessary features. It's a very common problem with AAA games.

More content for the sake of more content is a bad bad design choice. It does not make the game better or innovative, it only does harm. You'd think after the Pokemon Contest Game Freak would stop adding stupid new features. Keeping it minimalistic is more, which is common sense if you've been keeping up with the industry. Focusing on improving the game, mechanics and other important stuff is good design, and if you want more content, add a well thought out feature that's actually relevant and compliments the game. (See: Mario Bros U with its new Challenge Mode.) Honestly, which would you play more, a mediocre game with so many features vs a quality game with little to no extra content? It's an obvious answer. And honestly, does Pokemon really need MORE content?

I agree with the OP. I don't want features I'll never care about (and don't give me that "I like it!" stuff, you can live without it), instead I want them to use that time they spent adding those features to design a good region.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Nintendo and GF are big companies, they have masses of people working on these games. To be honest, I can't really think of any features that could really be improved. They won't draw in new fans without new features and evolving the series. If we were just improving on the elements we had back in Gen I the game would be nowhere near as good as it is now. The new features aren't just for the sake of it, they are there because we need something new to keep players interested. Games need change for marketing purposes, as well as making it better than the last.

Years
    Nintendo and GF are big companies, they have masses of people working on these games. To be honest, I can't really think of any features that could really be improved. They won't draw in new fans without new features and evolving the series. If we were just improving on the elements we had back in Gen I the game would be nowhere near as good as it is now. The new features aren't just for the sake of it, they are there because we need something new to keep players interested. Games need change for marketing purposes, as well as making it better than the last.

^ I second what Zupplu said. The reason new features are added is because the games are evolving with every new generation, if we only just like improved on the features back in Gen 1 the games wouldn't be fun and fresh anymore. The introduction of new features is to keep the older players interested but also those who are new to Pokemon games. It's all part of a marketing technique.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Just to confirm, we're not talking about new gameplay features right? We're talking about stupid crap like the Pokemon Contest, Pokeblocks, Radio something and that awful movie crap in B/W2 right? OP is very vague.

Anyway, you guys are doing EXACTLY what you SHOULDN'T be doing, and that's adding more just for the sake of having more. GF ISN'T a big company (where did you get that from?), so they're wasting resources on unnecessary stuff like that.

Pokemon's pull are new Pokemon and a new region, hell just add new Pokemon and the masses will buy. (see: B/W2) Nobody cares about "new features", and those who do, and I'm gonna be speaking for everybody here, don't care about dumb crap like...whatever the hell that movie thing is in B/W2.

When you want to add a new "feature", you want it to compliment the game and be focused. I think the best example here is how NSMBU did it with challenge mode, but now that I remember about it, the battle revolution is EXACTLY the type of new "feature" that you want. It's fresh, innovative and it keeps the core mechanics interesting and it doesn't depart from the game like walking in the park to find random items with your cute Pachirisu. (does any even remember this?)

If you want to keep Pokemon games fresh, then adding content for the hell of it is exactly the opposite thing you want to do. If you want to do it right, look at how New Super Mario Bros games do it.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
    In my opinion, these new features are really good, especially Horde Encounters and Customizable appearance (hell, yeah!) The latter had been wished by many players all over the world ever since the start of the franchise and I am just glad that it is now implemented. However, one thing is bugging me. Poke-amie is said to raise a Pokemon's choice parameter, like evasiveness and such. How would it affect the metagame? Competitive battling already involves a lot of math and other mechanics. How would this interaction with the Pokemon affect it? I mean, different levels of Poke-amie interaction will exist, depending on the trainer. Would it give an advantage to a Pokemon who was "amied" more than one who is not? Just my two cents.

Draco Razr

Elite Dragon Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2013
    Pokemon is trying to cater for everyone i.e a lot of different tastes. By providing these new features, they still want the games to be exciting while you're playing the normal gameplay. Even though there are some features in which you are less likely to return, they will be there to amuse yourself if you're bored from the continuous training and battling.

I don't believe they would deviate from the normal gameplay since we all know completing the Pokedex and defeating the Elite Four to become the Pokemon Champion will always be a priority. However you are welcome to participate in other activities whenever you're bored from the routine of battling and training.

Miau

If I fits...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2022
    Nobody cares about "new features", and those who do, and I'm gonna be speaking for everybody here, don't care about dumb crap like...whatever the hell that movie thing is in B/W2.

I care, and I don't think the movie thing is crap. Sure, it's not everyone's cup of tea, because it's not battling, but I personally think it's fun. I also enjoyed Contests...

When you want to add a new "feature", you want it to compliment the game and be focused. I think the best example here is how NSMBU did it with challenge mode, but now that I remember about it, the battle revolution is EXACTLY the type of new "feature" that you want. It's fresh, innovative and it keeps the core mechanics interesting and it doesn't depart from the game like walking in the park to find random items with your cute Pachirisu. (does any even remember this?)

... and I would walk Pachirisu in Amity Square. See, I don't even have a Sinnoh game, and I still know what it is. All these random features you hate, they do complement the game. The game was, is and will always be battling your way through the Pokemon League, that will never change. But you also need plot, and you also need something else to distract you from the whole grind-gym-grind routine. And that's where these extra features come in.

To be honest and back on topic, it seems like the only reason people aren't against the new Amie feature is because it is said to benefit the Pokemon's capabilities in battle. Personally, I would've liked it any other way.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I care, and I don't think the movie thing is crap. Sure, it's not everyone's cup of tea, because it's not battling, but I personally think it's fun. I also enjoyed Contests...
    Are you gonna miss them in the X/Y, though? And do you think the game really needed them?
    If the answer is yes to both...well....whatever floats your boat. But you're a minority.

... and I would walk Pachirisu in Amity Square. See, I don't even have a Sinnoh game, and I still know what it is. All these random features you hate, they do complement the game. The game was, is and will always be battling your way through the Pokemon League, that will never change. But you also need plot, and you also need something else to distract you from the whole grind-gym-grind routine. And that's where these extra features come in.
    And how do they complement (thanks for the correction) the game? They're just random and serve no real purpose, nor do they enhance the game.

Honestly though, if their only purpose is to "distract" you from the game, then it really doesn't bode well for these "features". If I want to do something else other than playing Pokemon, I wouldn't play some silly mini game or whatever in a Pokemon game, I'd actually stop playing and do something else. Nobody lives by playing a Pokemon game all the time, or at least, I hope no one does

Years
    As long as the main game isn't affected by the increase of the new features, I'm not particularly bothered. These features tend to be hit and miss though, we've had the brilliance of Pokéathlon and the complete annoyance of Pokéstar Studios (which I would've never went near if we weren't forced to do a movie).

Pokemon Amie is looking fun. If we also get something on level of Pokéathlon as well then it should be a great game.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
    Other than Pokemon-Amie what else has been announced? Amie seems simple and has real impact on battles and probably story events.

Also, anyone who doesn't like PokeStar probably never gave it a chance. It's actually gives a real challenge (if you aren't using a guide) and the rewards are great. It is by no means a bad feature, especially since it is 100% optional. The musical is probably the only flop of a feature in the series since it offers no challenge nor reward.

Anyways, adding stuff like this should never take away your enjoyment in the game. Keep em coming, I say.

Miau

If I fits...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2022
    Are you gonna miss them in the X/Y, though? And do you think the game really needed them?
    If the answer is yes to both...well....whatever floats your boat. But you're a minority.
    I may not miss them in X/Y, but I would in BW2. Or Emerald. I just think the games need something else than just the Pokemon League. So don't get me wrong, I want to see the battle system getting improved, new moves, Abilities and battle styles, yes, actually a lot more than I want the extra features. I'm just saying there's nothing wrong with having them, and that there will always be that minority who enjoys them.

And how do they complement (thanks for the correction) the game? They're just random and serve no real purpose, nor do they enhance the game.

Honestly though, if their only purpose is to "distract" you from the game, then it really doesn't bode well for these "features". If I want to do something else other than playing Pokemon, I wouldn't play some silly mini game or whatever in a Pokemon game, I'd actually stop playing and do something else. Nobody lives by playing a Pokemon game all the time, or at least, I hope no one does

They can't distract you from the game, because they are in the game, whether we like it or not. If you mean from the main purpose of the game, which is beating the League and becoming champion, then for one, I agree. I didn't like that I was forced into doing that one movie, especially because it was so early in the game and I just wanted to move forward. I still don't hate Pokestar for this reason though. I think their main purpose is to give you something else to do with your Pokemon, and the chance to use some other Pokemon that you usually use in battle. For me, it's a good thing, because I get bored of grinding and battling and of the same Pokemon, and that's when I turn to these extra features. And yeah, sometimes I get bored of Pokemon altogether and do something else. But still, for the fact that a Contest or something of the like will keep me playing the game a little longer, I think they reached their goal then.

François2

#FutureSun&MoonMod
    Years
    I'm inclined to agree, the next generation looks to be a tad too gimmicky for my liking with every new info reveal. For the most part I can see myself enjoying new stuff, like the horde battles and sky battles (the latter if only for the aesthetic value of a battle in the air), but then you get stuff like being able to ride... one pokémon... in one town, which just seems a tad pointless, and upside down evolution (???) which will be utterly bizarre (if it does end up being included).

That said, the stuff we know of right now looks optional for the most part, and shouldn't detract from the game in any major way for me. I also wouldn't ask for anything to be taken out because it really is a "there's something for everyone" situation. If only one person thinks riding Gogoat is the single best thing since sliced bread then that's something worthy of being in the game, I think.

Years
    Poke-amie is said to raise a Pokemon's choice parameter, like evasiveness and such. How would it affect the metagame? Competitive battling already involves a lot of math and other mechanics. How would this interaction with the Pokemon affect it? I mean, different levels of Poke-amie interaction will exist, depending on the trainer. Would it give an advantage to a Pokemon who was "amied" more than one who is not? Just my two cents.

Either, we would be required to either max-amie all our pokes or minimize amie interaction, or more cheats would be used.
    I don't think Poke-Amie should raise evasion for this reason. I'm fine with this feature raising happiness, or aiding in EV training instead of using Proteins and such.

Back