• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Features that need to Return

AveeVaporGlitch

Stuck In Unova
Years
  • I would love to see things like Vs. Seeker, DexNav, pokemon following you, rustling spots like in ORAS, and PSS return. Stuff like this makes the game so much faster. Now, going to the FP means wasting tens of minutes doing useless crap. With the Switch's capability, I think things like the PSS would be dope, especially if they offered voice chat and stuff, which it probably could. The follow feature also seems possible, especially with the advent of 3D ride pokemon and pokemon following you in LGPE also show that it is possible to make pokemon follow you. I also really want things like Pokeathalon and the PWT to return to, because they're just plain fun to do. I remember doing Pokeathalon for hours and hours. Finally, I want connecting regions again. I remember HG/SS region connection. When I first got the games, I didn't know that Kanto was there, and when they Oak sent me to Kanto, it blew my friggin mind. Really miss that kind of stuff. Also, I remember the expansive post game in older games like HG/SS, and I really want that stuff to come back too.

I see people say connecting regions would be too hard but honestly with the Switch and it being 2019 I really doubt that is true. I'm unsure how big the Gen 8 region would but even if it is just twice as larger as handhald regions I can see them working in another even via dlc

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
    Years
  • Okay if they started this stuff a while back, they could have actually made the region really big, like BotW. Perhaps I shouldn't do this, but BotW is my yardstick for a good Switch game, and games like Mario Odyssey with innovation and fun stuff are really cool, and I hope Pokemon takes the same direction

AveeVaporGlitch

Stuck In Unova
    Years
  • Okay if they started this stuff a while back, they could have actually made the region really big, like BotW. Perhaps I shouldn't do this, but BotW is my yardstick for a good Switch game, and games like Mario Odyssey with innovation and fun stuff are really cool, and I hope Pokemon takes the same direction

Even if it is half the size I would not be upset. I get they likely won't do open world right away but as long as it feels like a full region and has life I'm going to happy.

lilaë21

Roaming Sinnoh
    Years

BotW's scope, imho, is too different from what could be good for Pokémon, which would probably need a smaller world: should Pokémon have a similar size, it would imho feel too void and featureless (also remember BotW is set during a time of catastrophe where only a few villages remain, whereas Pokémon has always had regions where extremely small villages with a population numbering in the tens were meant to represent large towns or cities). Exploration in Pokémon isn't just as central (while I personally love it) as it is in a game like BotW.

Odyssey is a better example for what I would Pokémon to be like: not a real open-world but large explorable areas (like, Odyssey's Forest Kingdom could be as large as two routes) which are so densely packed with stuff to do that they seem far larger than they actually are. I would like to have larger routes with secret passages (especially that can be entered only after passing for the first time in a certain route) which lead to areas where rare items, Pokémon, or trainer battles can be found - that is, in a much greater number and scope than what we've had so far.

AveeVaporGlitch

Stuck In Unova
    Years
  • BotW's scope, imho, is too different from what could be good for Pokémon, which would probably need a smaller world: should Pokémon have a similar size, it would imho feel too void and featureless (also remember BotW is set during a time of catastrophe where only a few villages remain, whereas Pokémon has always had regions where extremely small villages with a population numbering in the tens were meant to represent large towns or cities). Exploration in Pokémon isn't just as central (while I personally love it) as it is in a game like BotW.

Odyssey is a better example for what I would Pokémon to be like: not a real open-world but large explorable areas (like, Odyssey's Forest Kingdom could be as large as two routes) which are so densely packed with stuff to do that they seem far larger than they actually are. I would like to have larger routes with secret passages (especially that can be entered only after passing for the first time in a certain route) which lead to areas where rare items, Pokémon, or trainer battles can be found - that is, in a much greater number and scope than what we've had so far.

I mean I can see open world just not in Gen 8. With it being the first home console Gen I can see many gens from now being open world but yeah something like smaller but places you can still explore sound good.

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
    Years
  • The BotW comparison was just for putting things into perspective with the open world idea. You are right though when you say that the large open world would be void of cool features and could get boring. But just watching Link ride on his horse in BotW, taking in the air and all of that advertisement crap just really appeals to me. Think of the possibilities: Pokemon everywhere for you to catch, and a huge, expansive area.

AveeVaporGlitch

Stuck In Unova
    Years
  • The BotW comparison was just for putting things into perspective with the open world idea. You are right though when you say that the large open world would be void of cool features and could get boring. But just watching Link ride on his horse in BotW, taking in the air and all of that advertisement crap just really appeals to me. Think of the possibilities: Pokemon everywhere for you to catch, and a huge, expansive area.

I get how some might like it but felt that was why I found RDR2 such a dull game. So much of it was going from one place to another spending minutes just riding. I'm all for exploring but if it is just non stop landscape meh. GTA V was fun since you could drive and get there in funny extreme ways. Same for Spider-Man minus the driving. I get why people want open world but unless it is done right I'm ok with less open world but still exploration but maybe that is just me

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Basically someone has said that I thought already somewhere in this thread but my personal wants:
    - VS Seeker
    - Battle Frontier (never really got into it but what I did so was fun and also a feature I know a lot of people want back)
    - Pokeathlon type place
    - Contests but only if they're like Gen III contests tbh
    - Follow me though how Let's Go did it was perfect in which you can choose whether or not you want a Pokemon outside of its ball. That way people who didn't really like the feature don't have to use it!
    - pretty sure there are more that i'll remember later pft.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    I 100% agree with a larger region. I don't think it necessarily has to be open world or even in a similar vein to BotW where it's just a free-for-all from the very beginning, but this region feels a little small and linear and limited.

I would also love to see more pseudo-online features, though given that it's a Pokémon game I'm not really holding my breath. It's hard to describe what exactly I'd like to see but I think Secret Bases are a good analogy... would be awesome if there were a similar concept that worked online.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2021
    I'm gonna agree with some of what's already been said: shakey grass/bubbly water with rarer pokemon like gen 5, A good postgame PLEASE(!!!) like gens 4-5, following pokemon would be great, I really really hope Ride pokemon make a comeback (no more HMs please), something like Pokemon refresh
    I'm also gonna disagree with some of what's been said: I do NOT want an "intelligent" pokedex. rotom dex almost ruins gen 7 for me. Like I love the games, but I hate rotom with a passion

Years
  • They gotta bring good post-game back. I think that's a huge part of why Emerald was so good, and there's no reason they couldn't bring something similar into Gen 8. That's the main feature I'd like to see. I think there are some features from the newer games that are helpful like how you know your target destination in Alola due to the red flag icon - although I'm sure some prefer needing to explore their surroundings to find out what to do next.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • Where do I begin?

Pokémon World Tournament

Battle Frontier

VS Seeker — this made post-game so much more enjoyable! If I don't have a good way to level up after the League, chances are I'll drop the game. :(

Pokéathlon — while I've never tried before, it sounds perfect for the new region! How much fun would that be? Especially if you could play with others!

Contests — I actually really enjoyed Sinnoh's contests, so I'll be happy if they make a return.

XY style customisation — I don't want ten of the same piece of clothing with limited colour choices. I want ten different pieces of unique clothing!

Secret Bases — heck yes!!

Amity Square — I want an open area where I can walk my Pokémon! Even if only certain Pokémon are allowed. Let's face it, I don't think Game Freak will animate countless different Pokémon to follow us throughout the game. ;__; With LGPE, all they had to do was Kanto, right?

Bikes — I loved my bikes...

Poké Ball customisation — it was a really cool feature in Sinnoh! Plus, I'd like to have the choice of swapping the Poké Balls of captured Pokémon.

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
    Years
  • Seeing wild Pokémon in the overworld (just like in LGPE) rather than having random encounters would have been my #1 most wanted feature, but it looks like that has already been debunked by the trailer ahaha. ;__;

Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2020
    I want to see a feature similar to the Pokemon Stadium minigames. I think it could be done on Switch. It would be a nice change and a break from regular play, especially if you can play online with others. Most importantly though is the postgame and the difficulty level. I want as many tough battles as possible after the champion. I want it so that after I'm finished with the postgame my pokemon's levels are still scaling with enemy trainers up to a very high level.

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
    Years
  • This one might be a given, but I'll be really disappointed if Pokemon-Amie/Refresh doesn't return. :( I had fun playing with my Eevee and all, but it really hurt the game for me not being able to do so with any of my other Pokemon.

dontstay96

Grass-man
    Years
  • - The PSS: Yes, I know the Switch doesn't have a bottom screen, but I'm sure they can come up with something similar.
    - Old Exp. Share: That doesn't mean removing the new Exp. Share, you could easily change it so you can select the amout of Pokémon in your party you would like to share experience.
    - Battle Frontier: Pretty self explanatory.
    - Real events for Mythical Pokémon: Do something similar to the Arceus, Darkrai and SHaymin events and not give them like mail in the Pokémon Center.
    - Super Training: I know hordes and SOS were easier ways to EV train, but ST wouldn't hurt as another alternative. Especially since it's easier for beginners.
    - Challenge/Easy mode: Pretty self explanatory too, but make them available since the beginning of the game. Maybe an option to change it in-game too?

Back