• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Female Gential Mutilation (FGM)

Years
    Maybe before/after surveys if they can target men who began sexual activity before circumcision? Or if large enough sample sizes are representative of the American population - not sure if circumcised men fall into certain groups more than others.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Yeah, you don't need to convince me, I already agree.
    All right. I agree both should be banned, as well.

No, I'm saying that, specially during the 20th Century, the biggest anti-discrimination movement was the female one, which would have amplified the protests against the hypotetical Western FGM.
    That's fair, but it didn't seem to me that you were saying that. I misunderstood.

Also, in the grand scheme of things, discrimination against females is still more prevalent than the opposite even nowadays. But that's another topic.
    Maybe, but I don't think that has any inherent meaning; we're not limited to focusing on a single issue. Another topic, though.

Just wondering about this; which studies suggest that circumcision has a correlation with pleasure level?

I have heard both sides argued (by laymen who were cut/uncut) and wonder how pleasure is quantified, especially considering it is largely subjective.
    I'm not aware of any studies, though it wouldn't surprise me if there were some. However, it's basic biology. There are a lot of nerve endings in the foreskin. It may be the case that someone, somewhere who elected for circumcision did not experience a decrease in pleasure. However, that does not make it true for everyone, and it seems that even you have met someone who experienced the contrary. I would argue that it's still a major problem (among several) with the practice even if it does not affect everyone to a significant degree.

Star-Lord

withdrawl .
    Years
    believe it or not there are practical uses for male circumcision

A friend of mine's little brother and father both had to have their foreskin surgically removed (I'm not entirely sure of the complications - although I'm sure it's genetic) so circumcising a baby that has a pretty high chance of showing said complications in the future is a pretty good idea imo. That being said... that's the only circumstance I can really think of where it works.

for the most part I find genital mutilation (although I struggle to call male circumcision genital mutilation. The penis still works fine in most cases, which is far from what you can say to the female "counterpart") abhorrent.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    believe it or not there are practical uses for male circumcision

A friend of mine's little brother and father both had to have their foreskin surgically removed (I'm not entirely sure of the complications - although I'm sure it's genetic) so circumcising a baby that has a pretty high chance of showing said complications in the future is a pretty good idea imo. That being said... that's the only circumstance I can really think of where it works.

for the most part I find genital mutilation (although I struggle to call male circumcision genital mutilation. The penis still works fine in most cases, which is far from what you can say to the female "counterpart") abhorrent.
    I said in an earlier post that there are some cases where it makes sense. However, it should be avoided when at all possible. It's amputation, it should be used as a last resort when other measures fail. Most of the conditions it is used to prevent are rare and all are treatable in other ways that don't involve permanently removing a part of the body that isn't vestigial.

Star-Lord

withdrawl .
    Years
    You're seriously trying to compare circumcision to amputation

I think calling the removal of the foreskin an 'amputation' is extreme. The foreskin is loosely connected with the rest of the penis, meaning that foreskin removal (in theory) would be safe and certainly much safer than any other part of the body. An amputation is an removal of a complete extremity (which I would consider castration or full penis removal to be an amputation).

I don't even disagree that it's a stupid procedure. You're obviously empassioned about the issue but you're being close to sensationalist with your terminology

Years
    You're seriously trying to compare circumcision to amputation

I think calling the removal of the foreskin an 'amputation' is extreme. The foreskin is loosely connected with the rest of the penis, meaning that foreskin removal (in theory) would be safe and certainly much safer than any other part of the body. An amputation is an removal of a complete extremity (which I would consider castration or full penis removal to be an amputation).

I don't even disagree that it's a stupid procedure. You're obviously empassioned about the issue but you're being close to sensationalist with your terminology

Actually, amputation is the removal of an extremity. Circumcision is an example of amputation. It doesn't have to require the removal of bone at all. What twocows is saying isn't sensationalist, it's exactly what it says on the box. Most of us think about chopping limbs and really that's our own (or the media's fault) for not knowing better. Trust me, I thought it was going too far too but twocows is as logical as they come and so I took it seriously and googled it. Connotations are a thing, but he's definitely not wrong in making that statement.

Star-Lord

withdrawl .
    Years
    I googled it too, I guess I found that the definition of an extremity I found was full of crap.

So I'll just bow out because it literally does sound extreme but I know better than to argue with you and twocows about it because I would get nowhere. Pardon me.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
    Hey, koff~

Random Name Juakeem: Just thought you should know that we're going to hold down your 11 year old daughter and cut her little fun bits with this rusty piece of glass

Mother: Okay, that's. . . how'd you get a rusty piece of glass?

Female mutilation is far more extreme and more drastic than male circumcision. Imagine not being able to receive a fair amount of pleasure and potentially reach orgasm (oh come on, don't be such a prude)? Cutting off the clitoris is a deadly sin, and that means a lot coming from me, seeing as how I have a 0% belief in any 'higher power'. Can you imagine the difficulty of trying to work with that?

Let's be honest and purely adult here (being serious, can't get mad) masturbation and sex or, to be really technical and discomforting, 'sexual intercourse' is a natural occurring process and can be normally practiced by ones self or another partner.

Robbing a little girl of one of nature's little fun buttons (okay, sue me, I'm no longer being technical) can be seen as a heinous crime. There is no set date for the removal of the clitoris and can be removed from newborns and girls that hit puberty (that's around 11 or 12 years old) and since the clitoris doesn't 'feel anything' or do 'anything' at all, this process can, is often performed without anesthetic or pain medication.

Further more, I find it unfair to compare removal of the foreskin with the removal of the clitoris. The foreskin does not give males any additional (or known) benefits during sexual reproduction; the clitoris, however, can and is often a key part for a woman to receive a fair amount of genital stimulation and also reach orgasm. I was going to spell that as organism and then caught myself because I'm far to lazy to utilize spell-check. luckily I can keep track of what I type with my mind. See? Comedy. Breaks the tension.

Anyways, Female Genital Mutilation is by far no laughing matter, and in no way should be considered at all by anyone (other than the woman herself, but who in their right mind. . ?) I think that's all I have to say for now, koffi~

Back