• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Female Starters

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • Have you ever gotten a female starter Pokemon? It's a very rare occurrence considering the odds are 8 males to 1 female.

I have before. I think I had a female Piplup at some point?

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • Both of my Littens from my two Pokémon Moon plathroughs were female, purely by chance

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
    Years
  • My Chikorita in SoulSilver (Sidney, because at that point in my life I was apparently giving my Pokemon random human names I thought sounded good), my Snivy in Black 2 (Sera, because it sounds like serpent), and my Eevee in Let's Go (Evie :B). I actually thought, for a while, that they changed Eevee's gender ratio to 50/50 in that game (it'd make sense, to show off the new heart-tail), but apparently it's the same as always, so I guess it counts!

Years
  • Since I've played through Pokémon BW/BW2 a bajillion times and always chose Tepig, I've had a few female Tepigs, which I found to be a bit akward with Emboar being so stereotipically "manly" and whatnot, but yeah apart from that I think it's time they change it to 50/50. I'm guessing the odds are what they are cuz Pokémon was targeted at young boys who were in their "girl-hating" phase (? or maybe I'm just spouting nonsense), but so many girls nowadays enjoy Pokémon too that I can't think of a good reason to leave it as it is.

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
    Years
  • I think it's time they change it to 50/50. I'm guessing the odds are what they are cuz Pokémon was targeted at young boys who were in their "girl-hating" phase (? or maybe I'm just spouting nonsense), but so many girls nowadays enjoy Pokémon too that I can't think of a good reason to leave it as it is.

It's actually to make it harder to breed your starter Pokemon (because breeding a male and female Pokemon will always produce an egg of the female Pokemon), seeing as they're supposed to be these super-rare Pokemon you only get one of per playthrough.

I wouldn't mind if they changed it, though - if somebody really wants to breed it, they'll just get a Ditto (which is easier than it's ever been in the days of WiFi trading), so there's not a whole lot of point.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I'm guessing the odds are what they are cuz Pokémon was targeted at young boys who were in their "girl-hating" phase (? or maybe I'm just spouting nonsense), but so many girls nowadays enjoy Pokémon too that I can't think of a good reason to leave it as it is.

Nah, all gift Pokemon (Eevee family/most Fossils/starters/Togepi family/Munchlax family/Lucario) are all this way so it's harder to breed them. I don't think it has anything to do with Pokemon's demographic.

I can't see this gender ratio ever changing, though.

Years
  • Yes! I think my first Chikorita in Gold or Silver was female?? I've reset for female starters later down the road too, when I wanted to begin with them. man it took a while for some runs though aha

Years
  • Really? I didn't even know the odds were that low. I think I've had more female starters than male tbh...

Years
  • My Litten in Moon turned out female. She grew up to be a bodybuilding, cage-fighting tiger Amazon.😄
    I also got a female Bulbasaur once on FireRed.

Years
  • only once that i can recall, and that's snivy in my b2w2 second playthrough that i'm putting on hold as of the moment. kinda nuts how low the probability is for a female starter. @_@

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • I have, in fact, had a history of female starters! I will be surfacing the ones I've gotten in nuzlockes I've done! I don't think Ive ever gotten a non male starter in regular play

- Gen8. I have picked all starters at least once, and Sobble was the only one I didn't get a female out of.

- The Torchic I received in my fire red omega nuzlocke ended up being female, as did my one in azure horizons nuzlocke as my starter. Both of them managed to evolve into Blaziken.

- In my 2nd glazed nuzlocke, I somehow ended up with a female Treecko. Too bad it died as a Grovyle against a Beldam...

- I got 2 female Quilava in both my fire red advanced nuzlocke and as a starter in my complex crystal nuzlocke. Both of them died loooong before they could hit their final evo...

- My fire red advanced nuzlocke was pretty lucky with female starters as a whole! My actual starter ended up being female as well. The only given out starter that was male was the Bulbasaur I only received to get a leaf stone for my actual Grass mon.

- I caught a female Charmander in my onyx blue nuzlocke I did last year. She evolved into Charizard and made it to the end of the game, still alive.

- I also believe I got a female Venusaur in one of my randomisers.

- The kanto black nuzlocke I did last year had a female starter as well and that's my trademark deathless nuzlocke so...

- I think I got 2 female starters in 2 diferrent gen6 runs I did years ago.

And almost all of these were on the first try.

Years
  • Yep. Matter of fact I have female starters in two of my current runs - a Pignite in White 2 and a Rillaboom in Shield. I also had a female Incineroar in a Fire Monotype on Ultra Sun.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
  • I got a female Litten in Ultra Sun and a female Popplio in Ultra Moon. I didn't even have to soft reset for either of them.

Years
  • I'm pretty sure I had bunch of female starters, but only remember few. I was able to get shiny female Popplio in Ultra Moon. I'm pretty sure my first Chikorita in Silver was also female. I think I got female Snivy at least once in BW or B2W2. And I got female Pikachu in Let's GO, when I tried it for like an hour.

Back