• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fewer Pokemon favorites with each release

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2014
    It seems like the longer Pokemon goes on, the fewer designs of the monsters I actually really or halfway like. So, curious, I made a list, and turns out that I was right. The number of Pokemon designs in I really or halfway liked (just to be fair, for design count in later gens) Gen 1 had a total of 50; a little less than half the total of the 151 Pokemon designs released in the 1st Gen. With Generation 2's release, the number of Pokemon's designs I liked had diminished to 28. With Gen 3, there were 27; not a noticeable decrease, but one nonetheless. However, with Generation 4, there were only 12 Pokemon's designs I either really or halfway liked (simply out of being generous for the sake of numbers). With Gen 5, that number rose slightly to 15, but with the recent release of Gen 6, the number of Pokemon designs plummeted to a pitiful 10 in total.

While I don't think that GameFreak is running dry on ideas, or that I'm a nostalgic-driven Gen 1 oldbie, I'm unsure I can explain the reasons as to why the number of designs I like best lie with the first few generations. Maybe there just aren't as many cute or cool Pokemon (especially of the normal/ fire/ dark/ or ghost type) that suit my fancy in later generations; especially in the way adorable legendaries, like Celebi, Mew, and Jirachi, and cool, badass starters, like Blaziken and Charizard.

Anyway, has anyone else noticed the number of Pokemon designs diminishing with each generation, and does this worry you?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    It's not a strange thing if the number of new pokémon per new generation/region diminishes. After all, so many pokémon exist already so it must be increasingly difficult to think up new designs and concepts.

The number of pokémon I like per region hasn't decreased, not that I can think of now at least. There are always some pokémon I like and some I don't like. For you, maybe it is so that you prefer the older style pokémon ;)

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2014
    That much I do know- as far as them being able to come up with new designs. When you have 700+ of already individually unique monsters, it's going to be ever increasingly difficult to come up with new designs that don't look too similar to what you've already released. However, like I said, I'm not quite sure that the older style is to blame for the decreased number of my favorite designs through the generations. While I don't know, the reason behind it, myself, I really think it boils down to what I mentioned before- the cuteness and coolness of the pokemon designs; aesthetically speaking. Also, maybe the simplicity of them? I'm not sure. But what i do know is that I'd take a Pokemon like Mew or Blaziken or Sylveon, who have relatively simple designs, cute, and/ or are really cool looking, over something like Avalugg or Electvire or Tornadus/ Thundurus/ Landorus, who seem ridiculously complicated and ugly. The increasing number of legendaries kind of sets me off, too, but that's a different topic entirely.

There's always going to be Pokemon people like and some that they don't. I think that's a given. No one expects anyone to like all 700+ Pokemon, but if they do, that's ridiculously outstanding! It's surprising, though, to learn that the number of your own favorite pokemon designs haven't decreased at all. How many fave's would you figure you had, through each generation, to say that? Doesn't have to be an accurate number, if you're not up to going through all the pokemon and actually counting off your favorites, like I did.

Years
  • I counted my favourites and this is what I came up with:

Pokemon that I really like:
    Gen 1: 41/151 Gen 2: 21/100 Gen 3: 20/135 Gen 4: 19/107 Gen 5: 30/156 Gen 6: 15/69

And the Pokemon I disliked:
    Gen 1: 34/151 Gen 2: 19/100 Gen 3: 41/135 Gen 4: 22/107 Gen 5: 35/156 Gen 6: 15/69

Obviously Gen 1 had the most favourites but I like more Pokemon in Gen 5 and 6 compared to Gens 2/3/4.

Leo the Lion

Too many sexy people in this world, all of them fi
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    But if you think about it, you might like 100/151 1st gen pkmn and may like 67/69 6th gen pkmn, but (according to my maths) you like the 6th gen pkmn more than the 1st gen pkmn. Yeah, just had a maths exam. And yeah, im boored.
    Anyway, i have to say that the gens I most DISLIKE are the 2nd and the 4th ones (the 3rd one is safe because of mudkip <3), i think their designs are poor (4th gen) or "different (2nd gen). But i still like pkmn from those generations, like furret, rotom, celebi....

Years
  • It's not a strange thing if the number of new pokémon per new generation/region diminishes. After all, so many pokémon exist already so it must be increasingly difficult to think up new designs and concepts.

The number of pokémon I like per region hasn't decreased, not that I can think of now at least. There are always some pokémon I like and some I don't like. For you, maybe it is so that you prefer the older style pokémon ;)

I think you nailed it here Rika, I've heard of people saying Pokemon designs are getting worse with the new generations but yeah because we have increasing numbers it can be hard to think new designs and concepts for Pokemon.

In fact, despite what some here say I actually have more fave Pokemon from newer generations compared to older ones. Generation 1 happens to have the most least fave Pokemon for me while Generations 5-6 have the most. Call me a new-genner lol.

I guess I just like how more interesting the designs got with the newer generations.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    It honestly comes down to preference. Perhaps growing up with Pokemon you tend to lean more towards the earlier generations. Perhaps with so many Pokemon the ideas are running dry (personally not a proponent of this one). I honestly can't think of more than a couple first generation Pokemon that I absolutely love, whereas in the later generations, I'm finding a lot of the Pokemon to be far more interesting. It's all subjective really, and it's not surprising that this debate exists with 700+ Pokemon. I hate to generalize it to people becoming tired of new Pokemon, but from experience, a lot of the genwunners exhibit that mentality.

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2014
    It honestly comes down to preference. Perhaps growing up with Pokemon you tend to lean more towards the earlier generations. Perhaps with so many Pokemon the ideas are running dry (personally not a proponent of this one). I honestly can't think of more than a couple first generation Pokemon that I absolutely love, whereas in the later generations, I'm finding a lot of the Pokemon to be far more interesting. It's all subjective really, and it's not surprising that this debate exists with 700+ Pokemon. I hate to generalize it to people becoming tired of new Pokemon, but from experience, a lot of the genwunners exhibit that mentality.
    I want to think I'm exampt from the genwunner mindset, because while I did grow up with it, I do enjoy getting new games and seeing what kinds of new Pokemon designs there are for me to like (because I do have a few favorites across every gen); and I don't think everything after Gen 1 was Game freak running dry on ideas.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • Hmph, koff~

In a world where we battle till our last potion, and claw tooth and nail, ever searching to reach the top. . . there can only be one. The only generation that I absolutely despise is the third one. Wow, only three that I like out of that Generation. Sharpedo, Mawile (only because of G6's upgrade), and Cacturne. Pretty sad. And G4 has their fair share of flops, being Bidoof, Magnezone, Rhyperior, and Magmortar. Anyways, I like a whole slew of 'em, for tactical purposes as well as designs. But my favorite is and always will be Koffing, koffi~

The Mighty Kamina

Paragon of Masculinity
    Years
  • I have favorites (and least favorite) designs from each generation. Heck, Gen I only has a select few of my favorites while most hail from Gen II and III. Then again, I'm prone to liking a Pokemon after it becomes hated or unpopular, hence why Trubbish is one of my favorites from Gen V.

EDIT: Although, even if everyone else hates it too, I still hate Lickilicky and Probopass to no end.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2013
    Did you ever consider that it's a matter of opinion?
    For me..
    I like
    35/151 from I (23%)
    31/100 from II (31%)
    14/137 from III (10%)
    31/108 from IV (28%)
    45/156 from V (28%)
    33/69 from VI (47%)
    7/28 mega evolutions (25%)

I'm picky about which Pokemon I'm like, but that's my honest list. I was surprised at the percentage I liked in Gen V, considering of how many of the designs I hate from that gen.

Did you ever consider that it's a matter of opinion?
    For me..
    I like
    35/151 from I (23%)
    31/100 from II (31%)
    14/137 from III (10%)
    31/108 from IV (28%)
    45/156 from V (28%)
    33/69 from VI (47%)
    7/28 mega evolutions (25%)

I'm picky about which Pokemon I'm like, but that's my honest list. I was surprised at the percentage I liked in Gen V, considering of how many of the designs I hate from that gen.

Also consider the percentages. 10 may be the least number of Pokemon in a gen that you like, but there's also only 69 new Pokemon (and 28 megas)

Last edited:

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I want to think I'm exampt from the genwunner mindset, because while I did grow up with it, I do enjoy getting new games and seeing what kinds of new Pokemon designs there are for me to like (because I do have a few favorites across every gen); and I don't think everything after Gen 1 was Game freak running dry on ideas.
    I know, I'm not trying to paint you as such, but being presented with such a linear trend, I can only think of nostalgic tendencies or lack of creativity factoring in, to whatever degree, not necessarily a genwunner mentality. Each generation typically has a good mix of Pokemon designs, so I would think that it wouldn't be hard to find favorites in every generation.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
    Years
  • The one objective thing I've actually noticed lately it that there's an undeniable shift in overall design comparing Pokemon from the first generation to the ones in the 6th. This includes trainer art, too. It actually hit me the hardest when I came across Exeggcute in Y. Both it and its evolution have a distinctive, almost 80's anime look to them when you look at their eyes. It's definitely old school Sugimori. Compare that to some modern Pokemon, including Combee, who look like creatures that came right out of Adventure Time. If if wasn't for selective sacredness that the series seems to have (they had no problem updating Pikachu's design, afterall, and Bulbasaur got one, of which I'm personally thankful), I'd almost feel like they should modernize some of the looks of the older Pokemon so they don't look so dated.

I sometimes wonder how the small, actually docile Pokemon like Pidgey, Rattata and (here it comes :P) Nidoran (female, mainly) would look if they were designed today. I'd imagine unnecessary details would be added, yes, but I'm certain they'd be less mistook as seemingly vicious just because they tend to be promotionalized in attack poses.

Well, anyhow, I don't have much to say about my opinion of them. As I said in another topic, I'm only gonna remember my personal favorites, old and new, so who really cares what they look like or how many more they come out with. To echo what was stated earlier, no one goes around remembering all 700+ Pokemon at all times (or I'd be swimming in fan art of the ones I tend to like), so why sweat it? The only thing I don't like from an artistic standpoint is unwarranted complexity, which seems to be a Japanese thing. Looks great (maybe) as a poster, but note that they cut a lot of corners in animation because of it.

If anything, the variety should be seen as a blessing. It gives everyone equal opportunity to pick out their favorites, unlike a series like Mario where the vast majority of its cast are recolors and model/sprite swaps (I'm really oversimplifiying it but you know what I mean). Because of that, I have a hard time picking out a Mario character I can get behind, but 700 different Pokemon? Who would've imagined there'd be a fan of something like Nidorina, consistently for like... 14 years? It takes all kinds.

Back