• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FF&W Rules (Please read if you are new) [Updated 2-15-14]

Status
Not open for further replies.

StinkomanFan

The Thing with Questionable Taste
Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Dec 3, 2015
    Hey, I've not been here for two years and I was wondering if I could revive my CYOA thread. Or is that not allowed? The rules don't say anything about that and I just want to make ABSOLUTELY sure.

Bay

Years
  • Hey, I've not been here for two years and I was wondering if I could revive my CYOA thread. Or is that not allowed? The rules don't say anything about that and I just want to make ABSOLUTELY sure.

If you're the original poster of the CYOA thread then you can revive it! Just that the other members can't if the thread is more than a couple months old. Hope this helps!

StinkomanFan

The Thing with Questionable Taste
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Dec 3, 2015
    If you're the original poster of the CYOA thread then you can revive it! Just that the other members can't if the thread is more than a couple months old. Hope this helps!

Thanks! Hopefully my writing style's only gotten better since I last posted.

vampiricrogue

skydemonairpirates
    Years
  • I know this is a stupid question, but where do you roleplay at in this area? >>;

All i see is rules on writing individual stories... but i havent found any rules on roleplay...

Melody

Banned
    Years
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    You can download OpenOffice, which is like Microsoft Word only free. Or, if worst comes to worst, you can make use of whatever default program you have on your computer, like WordPad or even (though take care to definitely proofread on this) Notepad. You don't have to use Microsoft Word; it's just what is commonly suggested.

Bay

Years
  • I want to write a new fic, but unfortunately I do not have Microsoft Word.... Is there another way?

The Writing Resources thread has several alternatives to Microsoft Word. I'll list them here too:

Google Docs and Libre/Open Office. Hope this helps.

Edit: and astinus already mentioned Open Office, lol. Google Docs however is web-based and free with a gmail account.

Last edited:

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • Libreoffice is, curiously enough, in the listing in Writing Resources, it's just labelled as OpenOffice. One of the two is a fork / derivative of the other, but down the line they're basically the same: an alternative word processor to the everpresent Microsoft Word.

So perhaps we should get to rework that listing of tools a bit...

Regarding the rules proper, since there is only one that addresses the issue (the "authors can update" one), I'd like to ask if and how does the FF section handle collaborative writings? I don't mean roleplay, which has its own section, but for example if [N amount of] authors gathered and decided to work as a story together, all of them as authors, would such a thing be publishable here and how? Is there precedent in this forum?

(I'm of course open to more discussion on the subject, via PM or separate thread if necessary, but thought it was better to bring it out here first since there is a dedicated and active rules commentary thread)

Bay

Years
  • Libreoffice is, curiously enough, in the listing in Writing Resources, it's just labelled as OpenOffice. One of the two is a fork / derivative of the other, but down the line they're basically the same: an alternative word processor to the everpresent Microsoft Word.

So perhaps we should get to rework that listing of tools a bit...

Regarding the rules proper, since there is only one that addresses the issue (the "authors can update" one), I'd like to ask if and how does the FF section handle collaborative writings? I don't mean roleplay, which has its own section, but for example if [N amount of] authors gathered and decided to work as a story together, all of them as authors, would such a thing be publishable here and how? Is there precedent in this forum?

(I'm of course open to more discussion on the subject, via PM or separate thread if necessary, but thought it was better to bring it out here first since there is a dedicated and active rules commentary thread)

Yeah after I did that post I realized the Open Office link in the Resources thread takes you to Libre Office's site, but I forgot to edit that out. Fixed my post now, I apologize for not correcting earlier.

Onto your collaboration concern, collaborative works are fine. How the authors update will depend how you guys will do that. Do each of you write a chapter and post, or each of you write a scene and then take turns posting. That sort of thing you guys can discuss. Hope this explains it.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • Onto your collaboration concern, collaborative works are fine. How the authors update will depend how you guys will do that. Do each of you write a chapter and post, or each of you write a scene and then take turns posting. That sort of thing you guys can discuss. Hope this explains it.

Thanks for the response... The current model we have in planning is a group of N people, each of them contributing a new chapter in sequence.

I am interested in clearing up some implementation details if you don't mind.

For example: for publishing in a collaborative way: does this require that all the N authors have Pokécommunity accounts? Or could content be published under one or two member accounts but credited to the other names adequately (and in a provable manner)? In case the thread were to spend long time without activity, should we notify the mods before updating with new content so that there is not an accidental mishaps such as the case of eg.: the member who published the new content is not the author of the thread? As publishing the story goes on, how is the multi-authoring factored into eg.: awards and nominations?

Bay

Years
  • Thanks for the response... The current model we have in planning is a group of N people, each of them contributing a new chapter in sequence.

I am interested in clearing up some implementation details if you don't mind.

For example: for publishing in a collaborative way: does this require that all the N authors have Pokécommunity accounts? Or could content be published under one or two member accounts but credited to the other names adequately (and in a provable manner)? In case the thread were to spend long time without activity, should we notify the mods before updating with new content so that there is not an accidental mishaps such as the case of eg.: the member who published the new content is not the author of the thread? As publishing the story goes on, how is the multi-authoring factored into eg.: awards and nominations?

Hm, good question. I would highly suggest all the authors have a Pokecommunity account so that perhaps one of them could reply on a review. Also this could prevent any concerns of plagiarism. When it comes to updating after a long period, you don't need to tell me in advance who will update next. As for awards and nominations, if that were to happen I would think you can credit all the authors.

Tetriser

Average game making dude
    Years
  • Can I tell a story about a world inhabited only by Pokémon, like in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon and PokéPark? Can we give English dialogues to the Pokémon? :)

Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Dec 31, 2016
    I made a little story as an idea that maybe somebody would like to make a fangame of it is it allowed to be posted here in the fanfiction section?

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Can I tell a story about a world inhabited only by Pokémon, like in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon and PokéPark? Can we give English dialogues to the Pokémon? :)
    Sure! No reason why you can't do that in the rules, and I'd wager some stories like that already exist in the section.
    I made a little story as an idea that maybe somebody would like to make a fangame of it is it allowed to be posted here in the fanfiction section?
    As long as it follows the rules detailed in the first post - so e.g. not a scriptfic, you'll post a complete story/chapter, etc, that is also fine.

Pikamander7

Ace Trainer
    Years
  • Can we post a link to another thread on PokéCommunity if it pertains to the story, in case someone wanted to write a story about a region they created?

Bay

Years
  • Can we post a link to another thread on PokéCommunity if it pertains to the story, in case someone wanted to write a story about a region they created?

I'm confused over what you're trying to ask. You mean link to a thread (like someone's region from another section) that is inspiration to your fic? If so, that's fine. Otherwise, if that's not what you're asking let me know.

Orx of Twinleaf

Branch into Psyche
    Years
  • Uhm, yes, I'm pretty new here. Like, as new as new gets, somewhereabouts, but I think I should give a little context before I pose my question. Now, for whatever reason, I'm sure I've forgotten, I used to write short pieces on Facebook (like, in the photo description box, I don't know how I got that notion), but I've realized an awful lot that that kind of thing is just a little out of place there, and have been looking to move to a more sensible place for such activities.
    Now, the first thing I would want to do is start a series of kind-of stories such that would set up the Pokemon world in the context that I have always treated it, and I was going to do that in the manner of a creation story starting with the whole Arceus and Big Bang stuff. I think I've gotten the gist of how I would post such a thing from looking at the other fan fictions here and the way they're posted, but I suppose my question is whether or not that would be something to put here?
    Like, I know it might sound like a textbook [Pokemon] tag thing on its face, but I anticipate getting farther and farther into Backwards Speculation Land (two more trips and I get a free handbag!) with things like demons and magic and psuedoscientific quasireligious phenomena and all that other good stuff that comes from too much time spent on Cartesian dilemmas.
    So, would something like that be appropriate for here? And it would still be a [Pokemon] tag regardless, right?
    I'm sorry if I am a little too verbose or if the answer is obvious, but I am new here, and I don't do well with those dreaded first steps, so you'll have to bear with me.
    Thanks for your time.

Bay

Years
  • Uhm, yes, I'm pretty new here. Like, as new as new gets, somewhereabouts, but I think I should give a little context before I pose my question. Now, for whatever reason, I'm sure I've forgotten, I used to write short pieces on Facebook (like, in the photo description box, I don't know how I got that notion), but I've realized an awful lot that that kind of thing is just a little out of place there, and have been looking to move to a more sensible place for such activities.
    Now, the first thing I would want to do is start a series of kind-of stories such that would set up the Pokemon world in the context that I have always treated it, and I was going to do that in the manner of a creation story starting with the whole Arceus and Big Bang stuff. I think I've gotten the gist of how I would post such a thing from looking at the other fan fictions here and the way they're posted, but I suppose my question is whether or not that would be something to put here?
    Like, I know it might sound like a textbook [Pokemon] tag thing on its face, but I anticipate getting farther and farther into Backwards Speculation Land (two more trips and I get a free handbag!) with things like demons and magic and psuedoscientific quasireligious phenomena and all that other good stuff that comes from too much time spent on Cartesian dilemmas.
    So, would something like that be appropriate for here? And it would still be a [Pokemon] tag regardless, right?
    I'm sorry if I am a little too verbose or if the answer is obvious, but I am new here, and I don't do well with those dreaded first steps, so you'll have to bear with me.
    Thanks for your time.

I think this should be fine as long as Pokemon is mention a fair amount. If you want to add aliens too (there has been Pokedex entries of those mentioned), then that's okay too, haha. I know you didn't mention aliens, but I'm giving an example. Does this answer your concerns?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back