• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Final Fantasy Tactics Series

Renyui!

ascender
Years
  • Is anyone else absolutely obsessed with these games at the moment? D:

So, around 2-3 weeks ago, I stumbled across a copy of Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions for PSP, for only $5 in a pawn shop. I've had such memories with the series that I simply could not pass up the opportunity to buy it. Ever since, I've dug out my old GBA version, my DS version, and even coughed up a few more dollars for Tactics Ogre, the original basis of the series. And now, I find myself absolutely loving the series, for possibly the billionth time through.

I have to ask, has/is anyone obsessed with these unique games?

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
  • I didn't know Tactics Ogre was related to Tactics. I never could get into Tactics Ogre due to fact that the game felt like it played itself. I was playing the N64 one though.

Anyways, back on topic:
    Not a whole lot of people like Tactics due to the whole law system or just battle system in general (it seems like they don't anyways), but personally I LOVE these games. I got so addicted to the one on the GBA a couple months back.
    I really need to go back and beat Tactics Advanced/Try out the others on the PS1, DS and PSP.

Years
  • Probably going to be in the minority here when I say that I can't stand these games (no offense to those who like them, of course).

The battle system I can handle, but the battles themselves NEVER give enough EXP or gil to make the large chunk of time they take worth it. Really, that's my problem with SRPGs in general.

...that and I'm still upset about getting jumped by a bunch of bandits who could use Time Magic at the very beginning of FFT when you almost literally had nothing but basic weapons >_> Still trying to figure out how you're NOT supposed to lose that battle.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • I like my strategy games pretty simplified in general (ex: FE) since they can be rather time consuming. I did enjoy Tactics Ogre and FF Tactics, though not so much the advance games. These type of games are usually hit or miss with me. Some of the games in this genre I really enjoy (Shining Force, Sakura Taisen, SRW) while some just had me giving up after a few maps (Phantom Brave, Disgaea)

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • I first played it on PSone and I didn't really get into it so I only got through like 3 missions. However I became really obsessed with the GBA version to the point that I would play it over and over again until I could get a perfect game to unlock the judge missions. However my one complaint is that the laws would cycle so I would always end up with the same 3 laws, I don't mind having laws but I would much rather see different combinations. I don't know if they that was only in the GBA version or what since that was the only one I actually completed.

Algo Fonix

oh god
    Years
  • I didn't know Tactics Ogre was related to Tactics. I never could get into Tactics Ogre due to fact that the game felt like it played itself. I was playing the N64 one though.

Only in that the team that did Tactics Ogre were more or less the ones that did Final Fantasy Tactics afterwards.

I don't like the FF Tactics games beyond the original. I picked up the PSP version of the it... and it plays so slow... I don't know why, it it's a chore to play that version.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Final Fantasy: Tactics is one of my favorite games of all time, especially if we're going to talk about the remake. I could forgive any of the screw ups with that fantastic retranslation.

I didn't mind Tactics Advance.

TA2 literally bored me to sleep with the first fight so I sold it. I should check it out again.

I don't like the FF Tactics games beyond the original. I picked up the PSP version of the it... and it plays so slow... I don't know why, it it's a chore to play that version.

I wouldn't mind as much considering SRPGs take forever anyways, but the sound lag was the worst part.

Whatever, you owe it to yourself to try it out again. If you have CFW you can apparently get a speed-fix patch.

https://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=8490.msg168572#msg168572-

Genesect

Team Plasma Failure
    Years
  • Coincidentally, I'm playing it on a PS1 emu currently. I have to admit, FFTA is pathetic with the awful UI and laws. The original FFT (and the PSP remake) has that extra spice to spruce up the gameplay (I'm Cilan, jk). Tactics Ogre is fantastic, I love the PSP remake <3

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
  • Funny this has come up. I bought FFT War of the lions a few days ago and have become completely addicted to it. I played it a long time ago and never really got into it but this time around I am loving it.

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
  • Tavtics ogre never really appealed to me, but I love FFTA! I don't know how many times I've played through it.XD I should really try war of the lions... Oh well, time to look for ps1 emulator.

Game Over1375

Hito-Shura is awesome
    Years
  • Huh. Funny that. I couldn't get into the PS1 or PSP versions of Final Fantasy Tactics. Tactics Advance and A2 though? Freakin' LOVED them. Seriously, I've wasted more time on those two games than any other game, period. The replay value, at least for me, was infinite. Unfortunately, my DS Lite broke. :( One of these days, I'll save enough money to get another one and replay those games again.

Hm... Here's a question for you guys. Anyone here who love the Tactics series also play the Fire Emblem games? Those games are awesome too.

FlameChocobo

Warrior of Hoenn
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2016
    Huh. Funny that. I couldn't get into the PS1 or PSP versions of Final Fantasy Tactics. Tactics Advance and A2 though? Freakin' LOVED them. Seriously, I've wasted more time on those two games than any other game, period. The replay value, at least for me, was infinite. Unfortunately, my DS Lite broke. :( One of these days, I'll save enough money to get another one and replay those games again.

Hm... Here's a question for you guys. Anyone here who love the Tactics series also play the Fire Emblem games? Those games are awesome too.

Path of Radiance and Shadow Dragon, though Path of Radiance caught my eye. Currently at Chapter 11 where I have to fight off any Daein soldiers to escape (which is frustrating if you make the wrong move.)

Anyways, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is my very first Final Fantasy game that I owned. What caught my eye is that I was reading the Nintendo Power magazine reading about FFTA. I've been owning it since late childhood (I never bothered selling it thank goodness for that.)

FFTA 2 caught my eye too ever since it came out, but I didn't bother getting it until I buy it while walking to Subway and to GameStop after I finish eating. I don't like it as much as the first game, but hey, it's a good game.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, is harder to get into IMO because you have to learn something that is complex, which can take awhile to get into. It feels good owning that game though.

Mr. Magius

  
    Years
  • I'm also obsessed with this series. Love it! Haven't played the first of the series unfortunately, but I've played FFTA and FFTA2.

I really enjoy the clan idea and having every member customisable to a certain extent. Then there's going around the map and trying to kick out the enemy clans and owning your own territory. It really makes you feel like you're the leader of an elite group of fighters!
    or paladins, or black mages, or assassins...

Everything about the gameplay is great. The ability system, the job system, the battle system, etc. I really get into it because it makes me feel like I'm actually there... it's weird.

I'm really crossing my fingers for a 3DS version (if I'm uninformed and there is actually info, please someone tell me lols), because there's also much to be improved. For example, the law system needs to be changed, so it doesn't make the game, after simply breaking a law ~9001x harder. The job system should also feature more jobs (specifically for Gria and Seeq) that would balance out the battle system, because Bangaa seem to get the upper hand imo, and certain races just have so much more options to choose from.

... Speaking of there being a 3DS game in this series: looking at what Square Enix did with FFTA2's graphics and effects, I'm extremely excited for a sequel to see what they'll do next.

Years
  • Tactics Ogre <3

Fond memories of those games. I'm still playing LUCT on the PSP, which is a very diverse RPG (although the whole class-level thing is stupid, they should have left it with character levels, like the original version)

TKoL is still my favourite. The emblem system just made that game. Character customisation was perfect. Anyone could equip anything (including 2 shields, etc). The one thing that needed adjusting was the class balancing. Archers are woefully underpowered (which is ironic, considering they're one of the best classes in LUCT).

One thing that TOTKoL does better than any other series is the position-centric gameplay where everything moves in your chosen order on your turn. Which way you're facing doesn't just help - it's everything.

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2012
    Like others here, I've returned to the PS1 game hundreds of time. To this day I think it has one of the easiest to understand yet dynamic/diverse class systems ever. More modern games often have many fewer classes and hybridization makes the distinction between them all unclear.

Back